US Open: Erin Hills

Hankshank

Why does a course have to be visually attractive to be a good US Open venue? I've played there, post-renovation, and it's fantastic...

I can't agree more. Even worse, the courses that average people play on a daily basis try to be like the courses we see on TV.

I can't stand it when courses try to be some unholy combination of Augusta green, full of hazards like Sawgrass, and rough like Winged Foot. Those courses are fantastic because they are well-designed tests of golf, not because they are pretty. Unfortunately, the pretty part is what every-day courses try to emulate.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does a course have to be visually attractive to be a good US Open venue? I've played there, post-renovation, and it's fantastic...

I can't agree more. Even worse, the courses that average people play on a daily basis try to be like the courses we see on TV.

I can't stand it when courses try to be some unholy combination of Augusta green, full of hazards like Sawgrass, and rough like Winged Foot. Those courses are fantastic because they are well-designed tests of golf, not because they are pretty. Unfortunately, the pretty part is what every-day courses try to emulate.

The story of Erin Hills is an amazing one. It's original architects, Time and Mother Nature gave an amazing landscape on which to build without making changes to the fundamental layout.

I hate watching the US Open. This is the only time during the year people play a course that is set up in this manner. USGA ruins the Men's and Women's Opens in my opinion.

Some years, I do agree. When all play is defensive. No fireworks, like. But some years that gets exciting, when the courses are super tough. I cannot really say which years are the seeworthy. I am a little worried about Erin Hills, afraid it will be a lot of cautious fairway play and aiming on the middle of the green for a safe par- play. But we'll see.

I like Rahm this week, if the wind blows his length and penetrating trajectory will give him an advantage.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

I hope the USGA get the set up right. They ruined a masterpiece when they went to Pinehurst. Chambers Bay should never have been used and last year's rules fiasco means they are struggling for credibility.

Ok, I'll bite. What is wrong with Chambers? Have you played the course?

Having played it, I think it could be a perfect Open course handled properly. The problem was the USGA insisting on all fescue. If they had embraced the Poa from the beginning and managed it properly, it would be an amazing track. As my super said, any super who tells you they can keep Poa off a course in the PNW is flat out lying

The parking and spectator experience are on them. That should have been ready before hosting an Open.

I hate the argument for unattractive courses. IMO, that is what summer golf is in 3/4 of the US.

Eh - our course is set up the same way (not on every hole mind you, but enough). There's plenty of room to not hit it in the tall stuff, and if you do, that's why the good lord invented Provisionals.

My first thought too. Yes, the tall grass looks tough, but you have to miss by a lot to get in it.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

Is this really any different than the long grasses and gorse in the Open Championships? Will fans be allowed in the fescue, thus trampling it and serving as de facto spotters? I'm excited. Will be there Thursday.

Yes.

ted scott‏ @jtedscott 12h12 hours ago

More

ted scott Retweeted Geoff Shackelford

The British open has wispy grass thats hard to hit out of. BUT, you can find it. This WILL be an issue. Google Kevin Na rant 4 details1f602.png

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Here is a more nuanced take on the fescue @ Erin Hill w/o some of the hysteria from Kevin Na.

http://www.golfdiges...yand-not-really

But here's the kicker: all the fescue doesn't have this composition. It's mostly just the first six-to-eight yards. Once you travel past that barrier, it's a relative walk in the park. Not only can you find your ball, you can advance it with ease. The picture below is the same spot where I briefly lost my bottle, only this time the bottle is placed 10 yards further from the rough. (And yes, that trampled down area in front is where I was searching for the previously-lost item. If any pros receive a generous lie on No. 2 this week, you're welcome.) As you can see in the middle of the picture, it's in plain sight.

On eight separate occasions Monday morning I witnessed players in this second cut of fescue; guys found the putting surface five times from over 170 yards, with only one shot labeled as poor. This held true around the greens as well. I camped out on the par-3 sixth for an hour or so, and at least one guy in each pairing found the fescue off the tee. Those that were barely in the tall grass struggled, while those that were extremely errant departed without issue.

1.5 inches and counting. Looks like 2 inches today/ tonight. More to come. Setting up soft for that Irish lad.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

I hope the USGA get the set up right. They ruined a masterpiece when they went to Pinehurst. Chambers Bay should never have been used and last year's rules fiasco means they are struggling for credibility.

Having played it, I think it could be a perfect Open course handled properly. The problem was the USGA insisting on all fescue. If they had embraced the Poa from the beginning and managed it properly, it would be an amazing track. As my super said, any super who tells you they can keep Poa off a course in the PNW is flat out lying

The parking and spectator experience are on them. That should have been ready before hosting an Open.

I hate the argument for unattractive courses. IMO, that is what summer golf is in 3/4 of the US.

Issue with chambers bay was 1) the greens sucked beyond belief. Worse than muni quality. 2) there were entire holes that fans couldn't even see. Piss poor design.

And 3), DJ handed the golden child a gift wrapped major. (Admittedly problem #3 isn't really on the course).

I don't mind the brown of chambers bay (or Pinehurst). People who think it has to be green like Augusta are dimwits.

I'm looking forward to it. The property does look quite beautiful. I think the rough situation is going to make things, umm, interesting. I don't have quite the encyclopedic major championship memory like some here, but I don't think I remember lush green tall-rough that thick anywhere, in any major I watched.

I checked the course out on their website a few weeks ago, and I will say the tall fescue rough had that look like it was not effectively in play. Guess we'll see.

Issue with chambers bay was 1) the greens sucked beyond belief. Worse than muni quality. 2) there were entire holes that fans couldn't even see. Piss poor design.

And 3), DJ handed the golden child a gift wrapped major. (Admittedly problem #3 isn't really on the course).

I don't mind the brown of chambers bay (or Pinehurst). People who think it has to be green like Augusta are dimwits.

That's kinda my point. If the USGA wasn't so hell bent on all fescue, the Poa could have grown in years ahead of time and been properly managed. Instead they insisted on what became a farce.

As for #2, those things and other infrastructure issues should have been planned out ahead of time.

Prior to Merion many 'experts' wondered if the course would play long enough. With rotating leaders sunday afternoon, I still think this was the most spectacular US Open in years.

This time I do hope the wind will pick up and hope to see some spoiled pro's stumble in the rough or bunkers. On the reverse side it will also show a small set of players absolutely ready to show their skills and run for victory. The USOpen must be the toughest tournament of all. Call it satisfying compensation for the real hacks who pay their dues but enjoy the game and experience these difficulties every week.

Prior to Merion many 'experts' wondered if the course would play long enough. With rotating leaders sunday afternoon, I still think this was the most spectacular US Open in years.

This time I do hope the wind will pick up and hope to see some spoiled pro's stumble in the rough or bunkers. On the reverse side it will also show a small set of players absolutely ready to show their skills and run for victory. The USOpen must be the toughest tournament of all. Call it satisfying compensation for the real hacks who pay their dues but enjoy the game and experience these difficulties every week.

In the meanwhile at Erin Hills

DCLuGSoXYAEEXro.jpg

I watched the Golf Channel's US Open Pregame coverage last night. I hadn't previously realized that the construction of Erin Hills was the greatest feat of visionary engineering in the history of the world. I feel privileged to watch.

Brandel doesn't agree...Erin Hills lifts too much, it's going to injure itself.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023