Some Things Wisconsin Golf

Phreddy

This is going to be a great year for Wisconsin golf. The US Open at Erin Hills. The LPGA is coming to Green Bay and with Stricker now playing the Senior/Champions Tour I think we will see them back.

That having been said, I am in a bad way. I know May 2nd is early in the season, yet we are coming off the 6th wettest April in the SE Wisconsin since records started being kept in 1871. 20 of the 30 days in April had rain, and despite no rain today the ground is so super saturated standing water is common on many area courses. Shots in the fairway plug and in the rough...forget about it. I fear this will lead to serious illness and time away from work once we get two or three days in a row with highs above 50 and sun.

Assuming Noah and his Ark don't appear in my drive way the prospects offer a glimmer of hope. I have a tee time set for Sand Valley, Whistling Straits and the Irish, an invitation for a July date at the Milwaukee Country Club and a list of area courses I have yet to play.

If you are not from the area reach out to us. I have found other Sconies ready to give course, food and lodging suggestions to any out of state visitor with a full wallet and a desire to donate to the local economy. One word of caution however, if I catch you doing a rain dance...

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

Heading to MKE for Fathers Day weekend (Wednesday-Monday), also US Open weekend. Brother in Law lives in Whitefish Bay... we booked a shotgun start tee time (730am) at Washington County on Saturday (never played really looking forward to it), going to the US Open on Thursday. I have played all Destination Kohler tracks sans Straits Course (that isnt in the cards this weekend), as well as The Bull and EH... best place to try and play Friday AM within 45 mins? Ive played Fire Ridge and The Bog too

my Boxgroove account has access to North Shore, Tripoli, and River Club on Mequon nearby... any of these worth the setting up?

I make usually 3-4 MKE trips a year and will look forward to utilizing this thread for all things WI Golf

On the bright side, the courses are much more lush than they usually seem to be this time of year! But negative rollout on drives has been a killer thus far... Hoping that the current weather at least holds steady, as I have tee times at the Bull and then the Straits set up for this Saturday and can't wait to tee off. Should be an amazing day of golf, even if Mother Nature has other plans in mind.

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

Smith,

It sounds as if you are staying in the Whitefish Bay area, and if you can get on, Brown Deer is a very solid course. Lawsonia is also very doable as a day trip from the Milwaukee area and I did not see that on your "played" list.

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

I was in Madison over the weekend for the graduation of one of my girls. The pro at my club got me on to the course at Maple Bluff for a round before we left town to come home today. The club was founded in 1899 and I believe it is the oldest country club in the state. It is classic tree lined fairways, and while it is not long, it is definitely not an easy course to score on. The greens were wickedly fast and after 18 holes I still had little confidence in my judgement of speed. I generally try to play University Ridge when visiting Madison, but this was a very fun throw back to old school golf.

Next weekend is a graduation for my other daughter. This one in Boston. Unfortunately the clubs will not be making the trip.

Phred

interested to hear your take on The Oaks

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

interested to hear your take on The Oaks

I was not disappointed. We had a 315 tee time, but due to late arrivals, we asked to push back to 340pm, and the pro shop nicely accommodated.

Really nice layout. Very wide open. We played at 6400 yards instead of 6700. There were two greens on the front guarded by trees, so by the time we got to them at 4pm, they had many twigs, leaves, etc. (And, I still made par.) Otherwise course was in great shape. Southern Wisconsin has had its share of rain, yet I thought the course held up really well. Not a lot of trouble. Great clubhouse (heard food is really good, but basically stuck with liquid refreshment). Beverage cart was out and around enough. Overall, easy 4 of 5 stars --- wait. I forgot. Paid $39 for 18 holes with a cart. Make it 4.5 stars. Locally owned. Friendly staff. Can't find much wrong with it!

I played The Oaks for the first time last year when I was up in the area, it is a fun course. It has a unique lay-out, featuring 6 par 3s and 5 par 5s. The fairways are generous, as it is a second shot course. You can score well, but there are a number of challenging holes. #14 is tough.

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo Belly No Belly

Beautiful 4 days of golf at Lawsonia, 3 on the Links and 1 on the Woodlands. Both courses in spectacular shape.

Apparently Mike Davis, head of the USGA, was in Wisconsin a couple weeks ago getting ready for the US Open. He made a stop at Sand Valley to talk to the owners and management and they kept bringing up Lawsonia and how great it is. He decided he had to see it for himself so he took a ride over to Green Lake and played the Links. Said it was some of the best greens he had ever seen.

• 2 weeks later...

It has pretty sweet weather wise and I think you should hit it just right for your trip. We live through a long January to savor this. I've been in the far northwest part of the state this week playing, Hayward, Big Fish, Telemark and Forest Ridges. Every day has been mid to upper 70's and the black flies haven't blessed us with their presence yet.

Phred

Looking forward to hitting the US Open practice rounds on Wednesday, then heading over to play 18 at Washington County.

I wonder what kind of traffic Wash County is going to get next weekend. I've never been to a Major, but I would assume that lots of people bring their clubs and make a golf weekend out of it with 1-2 days at the US Open and a couple days playing golf. It wouldn't take much research to figure out Wash Co is the closest decent course.

I'll be in Green Lake that weekend, just booked my tee times for the Links course at Lawsonia. I'm thinking even Lawsonia will see some increase in traffic. I would imagine that there's a good number of people who don't want to spend the $$ on Kohler and end up at Lawsonia instead. Or maybe some people stopping by on the drive from Kohler to Sand Valley.

Looking forward to hitting the US Open practice rounds on Wednesday, then heading over to play 18 at Washington County.

I wonder what kind of traffic Wash County is going to get next weekend. I've never been to a Major, but I would assume that lots of people bring their clubs and make a golf weekend out of it with 1-2 days at the US Open and a couple days playing golf. It wouldn't take much research to figure out Wash Co is the closest decent course.

I'll be in Green Lake that weekend, just booked my tee times for the Links course at Lawsonia. I'm thinking even Lawsonia will see some increase in traffic. I would imagine that there's a good number of people who don't want to spend the $$ on Kohler and end up at Lawsonia instead. Or maybe some people stopping by on the drive from Kohler to Sand Valley.

zer0, that's the odd part. I think I/we overestimate the desire of the out-of-town US Open attendee to bring the sticks and play! I didn't think I was going to get a tee time at WCGC. I ended up with a choice of three tee times in the initial one-hour window I was given by my playing companions.

That's a terrible idea! You will stand next to a tee box and watch a guy like Rickie or Rory rip one 300+ and say to yourself, "These dudes aren't very big. I should be able to rip it twice as far." Then you will head out to Washington County, tee it up, swing like they did, and the next thing you know, we are sending you Get Well cards!

zer0, that's the odd part. I think I/we overestimate the desire of the out-of-town US Open attendee to bring the sticks and play! I didn't think I was going to get a tee time at WCGC. I ended up with a choice of three tee times in the initial one-hour window I was given by my playing companions.

Washington County GC overestimated too... we booked a round 6 weeks back on US Open Saturday there, it was like $115 and was going to be a 730am shotgun start. As of last week it was reduced to $73 and now we have a set tee time

looking forward to it regardless, playing WCGC and Fire Ridge

Washington County GC overestimated too... we booked a round 6 weeks back on US Open Saturday there, it was like $115 and was going to be a 730am shotgun start. As of last week it was reduced to $73 and now we have a set tee time

That's weak. Glad to see that opportunistic greed blow up in their face.

House pass weekend! Mrs. Games went to visit DD to help prepare for her wedding. Starting with a round at La Belle in Oconomowoc this morning. I believe it's an old-line private club that went public a few years ago. Have never played there.

This afternoon, might venture to Golf Galaxy. Thinking about buying the Golfworks MMB Black irons. They look sweet!

Returned Saturday from a wonderful 48 hours behind the Cheese Curtain. Part I.

Thursday, after lunch at Langford's, we played Lawsonia Links. I know there are a few people here hyping up Lawsonia - and I just want to make sure that I am now considered among them. The Links course, at least according to my sensibilities, approaches pure perfection. An awesome, uncontrived layout and routing. It is very naturally laid out over the rolling and in some spots quite dramatic landscape. All artificially constructed obstacles (including the ubiquitous raised green complexes) fit the purpose of each hole and the scale of the land. Being an older design on a rolling piece of property, there are a number of blind shots, but nothing of the type where a decent shot ends up in an unrecoverable position. Trees are mostly around the perimeter of the course and there is an open feel to the course. Views are expansive and long fescue gracefully frames the way through the green. While there is long fescue always in view, fairways are generous and the first cut of rough is also quite generous in width so that only the most wayward of shots find the hay.

Course conditions are firm. The large greens roll true and are firm to the point where it was difficult to find a ball mark on even well struck aerial approaches. Their size and contour make for many an interesting pin position, USGA C.E.O. Mike Davis' recent comments that Lawsonia's greens are some of the best around, are well founded.

The only knocks our group had against the course were that the driving range is one of the worst I've seen at even a decent course. You hit into the long fescue and everything beyond 130yds is blind (which one friend remarked that it prepares you well for what's ahead. The second knock was the tee markers were too close together and on uneven ground on a handful of holes.

Overall, Lawsonia is firmly in the top 5 courses I've played. Perhaps top 2 or 3. I played the Links a good 10-12 years ago and remember being very pleasantly surprised, but this time I gained a whole other level of appreciation. It's a course I wish I could play regularly as I imagine it plays with great variety depending on wind conditions and the myriad available pin placements. Our group spoke of returning next year and I'm already looking forward to it.

The Lawsonia Leviathan - Par 5, #13:

The next day, we took the hour and twenty minute drive to spend all day at Sand Valley. Review to come in part II...

• Like 1

That's weak. Glad to see that opportunistic greed blow up in their face.

Yeah, I was disappointed in the price gouge when I saw the US Open week rates back in April when I was checking their site to see if they were open....lost some respect for Washington County. Will it stop me from playing there.....no, but the price gouge thing is BS!

Returned Saturday from a wonderful 48 hours behind the Cheese Curtain. Part I.

Thursday, after lunch at Langford's, we played Lawsonia Links. I know there are a few people here hyping up Lawsonia - and I just want to make sure that I am now considered among them. The Links course, at least according to my sensibilities, approaches pure perfection. An awesome, uncontrived layout and routing. It is very naturally laid out over the rolling and in some spots quite dramatic landscape. All artificially constructed obstacles (including the ubiquitous raised green complexes) fit the purpose of each hole and the scale of the land. Being an older design on a rolling piece of property, there are a number of blind shots, but nothing of the type where a decent shot ends up in an unrecoverable position. Trees are mostly around the perimeter of the course and there is an open feel to the course. Views are expansive and long fescue gracefully frames the way through the green. While there is long fescue always in view, fairways are generous and the first cut of rough is also quite generous in width so that only the most wayward of shots find the hay.

Course conditions are firm. The large greens roll true and are firm to the point where it was difficult to find a ball mark on even well struck aerial approaches. Their size and contour make for many an interesting pin position, USGA C.E.O. Mike Davis' recent comments that Lawsonia's greens are some of the best around, are well founded.

The only knocks our group had against the course were that the driving range is one of the worst I've seen at even a decent course. You hit into the long fescue and everything beyond 130yds is blind (which one friend remarked that it prepares you well for what's ahead. The second knock was the tee markers were too close together and on uneven ground on a handful of holes.

Overall, Lawsonia is firmly in the top 5 courses I've played. Perhaps top 2 or 3. I played the Links a good 10-12 years ago and remember being very pleasantly surprised, but this time I gained a whole other level of appreciation. It's a course I wish I could play regularly as I imagine it plays with great variety depending on wind conditions and the myriad available pin placements. Our group spoke of returning next year and I'm already looking forward to it.

The Lawsonia Leviathan - Par 5, #13:

The next day, we took the hour and twenty minute drive to spend all day at Sand Valley. Review to come in part II...

:clapping: :good: :clapping:

As the leading conductor on the Lawsonia Hype Train I'm more than happy to pull into the station and let you climb aboard! Welcome to the club!

Loved your review and I agree completely, Lawsonia Links really is, simply put, a perfect golf course. And you are right, it gets better and better the more you play it. There are so many "hidden" shots you figure out with time. For instance, if the pin on #2 is in the front or middle you can hit your approach to the right side of the fairway 20 yards before the green and the contours of the fairway will gently roll the ball right onto the green about 10-15 feet and leave you a nice uphill short birdie putt. Love that shot. There's so many places you can do stuff like that once you really get to know the course.

The pic of #15 doesn't do that valley justice. I don't even know why I bother taking the first two shots on that hole, I always end up at the bottom of that valley where its a blind 100 yards up the hill to the green.

Hope you enjoyed the food in the Langford, I personally think its the best food in Green Lake. They definitely have the most popular Friday night fish fry with at least an hour wait. And the Saturday night prime rib is really good as well.

As much as I love Lawsonia even I can't defend the driving range. The problem is that the course is built on top of sand which is on top of a large rock ( I think limestone) deposit. Unfortunately in the place where the range is the rock deposit underneath has that large dip in elevation which causes the hitting area of the range to be so much lower than the landing area. I will tell you that on the opposite side of the range there is a flat area to hit from, but its for members only.

I'm interested to hear your review of Sand Valley and how you liked it compared to Lawsonia.

Great review once again, it warms my heart to read such glowing comments about my favorite place on Earth. Only 4 days till I'm back up there!

48 Hours behind the Cheese Curtain pt.II: Sand Valley

We made the 1hr 40min drive from Ripon/Green Lake to Sand Valley on Thursday. It should have been only a hour and twenty minute drive, but a bridge over I-39 was out and we had to backtrack and re-route, which took us through charming (NOT!) hamlets like Hancock, WI. The last stretch of state road and the entrance road to Sand Valley was smooth and freshly paved. We pulled up to the roundabout in front of the newly opened, modern rustic clubhouse - an impressive vertically sided wood and glass building of dormers and gables. We were greeted by staff and introduced to our caddies who prepared themselves for their double loop day while we went off to the well appointed pro shop to pay our greens fees. From there we all boarded a shuttle bus and took a short uphill ride to Craig's Porch (a light food and drink oasis) and the practice/1st tee area. Though you get an idea of the landscape during the long drive to the clubhouse, it is from Craig's Porch where you can best take in the immense rolling sandscape, laid over with ribbons of green turf. It is a stunning, special setting, unfamiliar to most Midwesterners.

The practice green, hard against Craig's Porch, is bumpier and somewhat slower than the greens we encountered on the course. The whole area is one big carpet of fescue broken by swales and scrapes of sand. After teeing off on the 1st hole, I imagined being able to ski or sled down the fairway to my ball. Like Lawsonia, Sand Valley plays fast and firm, but even more so in the fairway. The fairways are very generous in width, ridiculously so in some places (not that I was complaining). It allowed the potential for heroic approaches to the dramatic green sites, as well as potential for frustrating escapades in the ever looming sand bunkers.

Almost every hole has a dramatic, memorable element to it - so much so that they begin to blend together. One hole I feel stands out for its lack of drama was the boring par-three, 3rd - an obvious connector from the 2nd green to the 4th tee. #17 and #18 is a memorable finish to the round. #17 is a long, uphill par-three to a real punchbowl green. The pin was on the right side of the green, behind the ridge of the bowl, and needed a 10' flagstick to be visible from the tee box. #18 is a great finishing par-5, fairly wide open and uphill, but framed with a variety of menacing bunkers. The huge inverted L-shaped green sits below a viewing area adjacent to Craig's Porch and the pin was tucked in the back right, behind a large intruding bunker. Through our foursome's two rounds, I witnessed no less than 4 different ways to access this tricky pin.

People had better bring a good sand and short game to Sand Valley. The sand is deep and fluffy. Taking too much sand will result in a ball that barely advances. I had a horrible day putting. There is a high sand content to the greens and I could not get used to it with all day to try. I don't know if that is a factor of the course's youth, but I much preferred the roll of Lawsonia's greens.

The caddies were sort of a mixed bag, but I need to emphasize that they all were polite, fun to be around and attentive to our needs on a very long hot and sunny day. The (Pro/Honor) caddie who double bagged a pair in the foursome, for the entire day, was impressive. He earned his $400 that day as his golfers were all over the course but never had to wait for him for club changes, yardages or reads. Another friend booked a Pro/Honor caddie who had been caddying less than two years, I believe. Great guy, but according to my friend was more like an A/B caddie. My caddie was a junior who was obviously still learning the in's and out's of the course and the trade. He was a little too talkative and I could have used more confident, accurate reads. He was probably 50/50, but that made him no worse than me. He was such a good kid with a positive attitude, that I gave him all "A's" on his evaluation card. :)

Besides the golf, there was more to impress at Sand Valley. Like the course, the property amenities should only improve with a little more time. Our lunch of carnitas tacos, brisket sliders and Spotted Cow on Craig's Porch was an outstanding deal. It was the second best meal on the trip. I was fortunate to pack a change of clothes, and after a long hot day I took a quick shower in the men's locker room. We stayed for dinner at The Mammoth Bar & Lounge. We had whole trout, pork tenderloin and walleye on the back patio, overlooking the still under construction second course, Mammoth Dunes and a rising full moon. That was by far the best meal of the trip.

Sand Valley was a great experience and we spoke of returning when the second course opens (I think the 18th green at Mammoth Dunes is the largest I've ever seen), and likely staying on site. While it is great as-is, there is potential for it to be something extra special - and I hope they succeed as everyone on staff was welcoming and seems to "get" the concept of hospitality.

Lawsonia/Green Lake and Sand Valley are a great reason for golfers to visit central Wisconsin. Strictly golf, I give an edge to Lawsonia. Total package, Sand Valley has it.