Wish my wife would play...

mvhoffman

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a buddy once go through this phase complaining that he wished his wife would try golf once in a while. This was the same buddy that consistently whined and complained about the cost of greens fees, the type that would pay to walk then feign an injury and hop in your cart after 3 holes. After getting tired enough of the rhetoric I explained to him that playing with the wife would cost double the greens fees and probably then some as they'd probably get 2 cart charges as well, he didn't complain about it too much after that.

Funny this thread popped up today. I have been trying to talk my wife into joining me for a at least a round of 9 or something sometime. Told her we would get plenty of drinks and she could drive and get some sun. This morning she texted me and actually said that's what we are doing tonight, so needless to say I am pretty freakin stoked!!

Anyone have any type of drinking game or anything along those lines for something like this?

I played with my wife on vacation . . . . playing GOLF with her and golfing daughter in about an hour. ;-)

Anything but couples league has become my rule for golf with my wife!

Edit: great golf yesterday, kind of fun watching the Mrs. trying to implement what Monte was working on with her and playing "golf swing" - but she hit about 4 really good shots which we reinforced for her was pretty good for trying to change things.

As much fun as it was, Father's Day ritual tomorrow with golfing daughter and my dad will be the highlight of the weekend.

Top Ten Reasons to to play with your wide!

1) They only want to play 9 holes.

2) They don'y understand tee times. What do you mean we can't show up at 9:00am on a Saturday.

3) They want to hit multiple balls from the fairway when they miss hit.

4) They expect you to find all these miss hits.

5) Leads to couples golf.

6) They want to sit out holes.

7) They want to take the cart mid round back to the clubhouse to pee!

8) They start to believe they need new equipment to get better.

9) They talk non stop.

10) Then they give it up and you have a new set of woman golf clubs in the garage taking up space.

Your wife is WIDE??? That's not very nice.

My wife got me into the game...I'm already way more obsessed than she is. We'll play together once or twice a month, and I'll head to the course on an afternoon that I'm working from home by myself to play more. She encourages the obsession and I have a great time while learning and playing with her. It's nice to spend time together outside when the weather is nice...

If you've found the right person there is no need to "grow a pair". You both understand each other and stuff just works out. If one feels they need to draw a line in the sand in order to get their golf in then there are most likely other issues going on. Having to "fight" for your golf time isn't an issue, it is a symptom.

Tell her you're golfing and she better have a pop-pie in the oven when you get home!

or, a pot pie......................240, 241 whatever it takes

It isn't often that you see a Mr. Mom reference.

Honey, if you call and I'm not home, I'll be at the gym or the gun club.

If you're not "allowed" to golf there's a problem. Unless you have a billion other hobbies and are never home. I have FAR from a perfect marriage but if I want to go golfing I go, she never complains so long as my other obligations are met. When we first met we were two very competitive people, her going putt putting with me once was enough to convince her that she didn't want to be a golfer. So I guess bad on me but I've never been one to throw games, be it with girlfriends or my kids. If you can beat me you can beat me. My kids know that when they beat Dad that they're truly better at it than I am that day. Maybe kind of jerkish, but I'm me.

When we were dating she would sometimes ride along with me for a round. She did like to get out and putt sometimes (and walking barefoot on the greens, what a redneck-lol). But that was the extent of it. I think she looks forward to me golfing now as I usually take my kids with me so it gives her some peace and quiet.

Funny this thread popped up today. I have been trying to talk my wife into joining me for a at least a round of 9 or something sometime. Told her we would get plenty of drinks and she could drive and get some sun. This morning she texted me and actually said that's what we are doing tonight, so needless to say I am pretty freakin stoked!!

Anyone have any type of drinking game or anything along those lines for something like this?

It is golf, you've got 9 holes of drinking game.

My wife plays and now that her new job is M-F it is fantastic. More often than not she is checking the weather and asking, "where are we playing Saturday?". It also helps that we actually enjoy spending time together. I never understand couples that don't who stay together.

Thank you for responding. I thought I was the only one.

Nah, me too.

My wife grew up playing and we played 9 rounds on our honeymoon. She stopped playing while the kids were growing up, but now that they are in college she's back. We have a great time together.

She only wants to really play once a week, and NEVER begrudges me playing additional rounds without her. All good!

Top Ten Reasons to to play with your wide!

1) They only want to play 9 holes.

2) They don'y understand tee times. What do you mean we can't show up at 9:00am on a Saturday.

3) They want to hit multiple balls from the fairway when they miss hit.

4) They expect you to find all these miss hits.

5) Leads to couples golf.

6) They want to sit out holes.

7) They want to take the cart mid round back to the clubhouse to pee!

8) They start to believe they need new equipment to get better.

9) They talk non stop.

10) Then they give it up and you have a new set of woman golf clubs in the garage taking up space.

Don't we all! :tongue:

My wife thought I was spending to much money and time on the whole process golf and trips. Came up with a separate bank account for her that what I spent on the course was put into the account. 36 happy years of marriage and still playing almost 100 rounds a year in the State of Michigan. Win Win she is free to use the money for whatever she chooses. Lots of times its house ideas so I get the benefit to.

I'm a little amazed at all of the wife negativity. My wife demanded I play more golf with her daughter as she showed promise and wanted to start chasing a scholarship, so I joined a local CC and the wife jumped in with both feet. I went through 6 yrs playing 3x per week mainly with the girls, buying them multiple sets of irons and woods, and yes, they talked a lot, and hit multiple shots, and lost balls, and did not understand showing up 30 min before tee time, and did not listen to a single swing tip, and got upset when groups behind got impatient, etc. But, every once in a while the wife would hit good shots and shoot a decent score, and that made her feel good and made me feel proud. She actually developed decently over the years (while my stepdaughter became #2 on the HS golf team).

Oh, uh, now she is my ex, but that was due to everything else other than golf....

Drinking game? Is this a frat social? Creative sex wagering for adults!

My wife plays and now that her new job is M-F it is fantastic. More often than not she is checking the weather and asking, "where are we playing Saturday?". It also helps that we actually enjoy spending time together. I never understand couples that don't who stay together.

+1 my wife had clubs before we met but never got on course til 2 years ago when I picked it up. She nows plays on her own on days she takes off just to golf...snaps me texts nothing about slow the foursome in front of her are hahahahahaba

Im with you, my wife is awesome and honestly between work and kids we really don't get to spend enough time with each other. She is really cool about me playing once or twice a week and I do my part by usually going out early in the AM before work one day then early on Sat morning with the occasional work/client/buddy round thrown in. She really doesn't like to play much at all but sometimes she will come out and chauffeur me around while i play a round which is my favorite honestly.

I am super lucky. My sig other likes to play and doesn't get too irritated when I beat him. We spend a good bit of time working together on our games. He helps me with short game stuff and I help him with full swing and putting. Now that I am retired we are moving to south TX where we will split time between playing golf at the club and fishing the Lower Laguna Madre. He enjoys fishing more and I enjoy golf more, but we will do enough of each to keep us happy (and tired!). Keeps us young and moving forward.

Bro, just load up your clubs and give her quick kiss.... " I see you later, the guys are waiting for me now"

Repeat this for 4 Saturdays.... the following month, she will prep your breakfast, clean your golf clubs and encourage you to play well.

I was in your shoes 12 years ago....

good luck

Mizuno MP 37 3i-pw
Mizuno MP 64 3i -pw
Ping G25
Scotty Newport
Cleveland wedges
Prov1x

My wife subbed in my golf group several times 4 or 5 years ago, and the other guys asked her to join as a permanent after a few rounds. We play together a lot, and if she can't make it, she has no problem with me going. She wins frequently, and she won our yearly tournament 2 years ago. Last year, I had a large lead in the tournament going into Sunday, so the rest of the group cooked up a scheme to make sure we did not ride together on Sunday hoping it would throw me off (didn't work). Anyhow, I am grateful she loves to play and that we get along so well playing together. Now my ex.....