Spring 2017 Cancun (OR CABO?) Mexico recommendations & agency?

retep

Hi,

Looking at 8 - 12 players in the spring of 2017 for a golf trip, hotels, etc... Recommendations on courses, hotels and a golf trip /travel booking company?

We have typically done 4 nights and 4 rounds. We are the internet golf society - the internet nerds who play golf.

OR... Should we look at CABO san lucas instead???? Either one can work.

Thanks in advance! Peter.

• 3 weeks later...

i'd recommend the Moonpalace hotel in Cancun, they have 3 different 9-hole courses at a good rate

also 'el camaleon' golf course in the Mayacoba hotel is not that far, this is the only course were the PGA makes a stop in latin america

PXG Driver Gen 5 0311 XF

PXG 3 Wood Gen 5 0311
PXG Hybrid Gen 4 0317 XF

PXG Irons Gen 5 0311 XP  4 to PW

Titleist Vokey Wedges SM8 - 46* 52* & 56*
Scotty Cameron Moto - Super Select Squareback 2 

Vice ProPlus

• 2 months later...

I think both places offer good to great golf (Cabo being better golf but much more $$). But if you are in VA why are you wanting to fly 6+ hrs for a golf trip? In the Spring you have so many better options on the East Coast like Sea Island, Kiawah, etc. You also have Casa de Campo in the DR or Punta Cana with Corales, Punta Espada, etc. Just some other thoughts. Also, Scottsdale is perfect in the Spring.

Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6x 
Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist T200 Utility with Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black (90x)
Miura MB101 (4-PW) with KBS Black $ Taper (130x)
Vokey SM8 Black Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with KBS Black $ Taper 
Bettinardi Tour Issue BB0 Flow Prototype

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Looking at 8 - 12 players in the spring of 2017 for a golf trip, hotels, etc... Recommendations on courses, hotels and a golf trip /travel booking company?

We have typically done 4 nights and 4 rounds. We are the internet golf society - the internet nerds who play golf.

OR... Should we look at CABO san lucas instead???? Either one can work.

Thanks in advance! Peter.

I actually just spent New Year’s in Cancun and fortunately had the opportunity to play two different courses while on vacation: the Iberostar Cancun GC and the Riviera Cancun (Jack Nicklaus design). Here’s some brief information and my take on the two courses.

Overall: Both courses offer club rentals (I brought my own so I can’t confirm what brand or their condition). It’s worth noting that the ground, fairways and the rough, was particularly soft where it impacted playing conditions. In addition to drives losing roll out yards, I was surprised while playing Riviera an approach shot from ~135 yards out plugged into the ground (imagine a sand bunker fried egg, but on the fairway and ~35 yards from the pin). While both courses were great to play, if you can budget Riviera I’d recommend playing it at least once just to see how beautiful the course is. I didn’t think of it, but you should be able to get a decent deal if you book a tee time in advance on GolfNow or other similar sites.

Iberostar Cancun

Cost: $115 USD/Round, which includes green fees, ~20 range balls, drinks/snacks/alcohol during the round and a meal at the end. The clubhouse staff will also clean your clubs and shoes at the end of the round, in addition to a nice cold towel to cool off with.

Yards/Rating/Slope (from Blues): 6,734 / 71.1 / 121

Scorecard:

Photos I Took:

Comments: I played the Iberostar course twice because (1) it wasn’t outrageously expensive and (2) it was very close to my hotel (~10 mins and an $8 USD cab). Supposedly, they start discounting if you play 3 or more rounds. The course was very maintained and the staff was very generous and welcoming. This is probably because of the course’s affiliation with the Iberostar hotel, which is located right across the street. In addition, while there is only one snack cart, each cart is equipped with a cooler and the guy has no problem being generous (when I asked for a beer, he had no problem giving me 4 on top of the 2 waters I already had).

As far as how the course played, the front 9 is very friendly. Nice wide open fairways, with a combination of fairway and green side sand traps and the river running throughout the course. The back 9 is noticeably less forgiving, with much narrower fairways and more tactfully placed hazards. Forewarning, because of the water running throughout the course, very real chance you’ll see some crocs on the course.

Riviera Cancun

Cost: $220 USD/Round, which includes green fees, unlimited range balls, drinks/snacks/alcohol during the round and a meal at the end. The clubhouse staff will also clean your clubs and shoes at the end of the round, in addition to a nice cold towel to cool off with.

Yards/Rating/Slope (from Blacks): 7,060 / 76.2 / 146

Scorecard:

Photos I Took:

Comments: While I was only expecting to play 2 rounds, my girlfriend was kind enough to release me for a 3rd round when I explained that I had an opportunity to play a Jack Nicklaus design course. While the round was a little pricey, I was blown away upon pulling into the course facility and seeing how the clubhouse is arranged among the course (imagine a hotel-like building with tall glass windows and doorways = See If Photo Available). In contrast to Iberostar, there are 2 snack carts simultaneously running around the course. While they are a bit more stingy (1 beer at a time), the staff is genuinely interested in pleasing their guests (I asked for a piece of chocolate and instead of telling me that’s not an option, the snack cart attendant made it a mission to grab a snickers from the clubhouse and deliver it to me a few holes later). While I feel like it goes without saying, make sure you have enough balls for your entire trip. Fortunately, I packed a case for Vice Pro Plus, but my playing partner had to purchase two sleeves of ProV1s—6 balls—for $54 USD. YEP, 2 sleeves cost the same as an entire box.

In short, Riviera demands accuracy and distance control. Several holes will require a blind shot over water, which lead to narrow fairways lined with bunkers and water hazards on both sides. Add in a light breeze and you’ll start second guessing your approach shots and whether laying up or going for the pin is the right strategy. After getting challenged for 18 holes, I can say this was easily one of the most beautiful and enjoyable courses I’ve ever played and will 100% be making a tee time (in advance) the next time I’m going to Cancun

On another note, some other Cancun area courses to consider would include Moon Palace, TPC Cancun Country Club and El Camaleon Mayakoba (this one in particular is on my "to do" list).

For those with experience in Cabo, has anyone stayed at Pueblo Bonito Pacifico or Grand Fiesta Americana at Cabo del Sol?

I am looking at taking a trip in late April and the price of the all inclusive stay at each of these are essentially the same (about $100 more at Pueblo Bonito over the 4 night stay, so around $25 a night difference). I've narrowed it down to these two resorts due since I am either wanting to play Quivira or both the Ocean and Desert courses at Cabo del Sol. I will be with my girlfriend who doesn't play golf so I'd be planning to play the courses during twilight rates.

Looking at the rates, it looks like the Ocean course at Cabo del Sol is $175 at the twilight rate and the desert is $99. Quivira twilight rate is $267. I'd probably look to play twice at the minimum and maybe 3 of the days. So I could play both courses at Cabo del Sol for around the same price as one round at Quivira.

At this point is am leaning towards going the Cabo del Sol route, unless the resort at Pueblo Bonito is significantly nicer than the Grand Fiesta Americana. Anyone with any opinions on these two resorts, as well as the 3 courses mentioned?

For those with experience in Cabo, has anyone stayed at Pueblo Bonito Pacifico or Grand Fiesta Americana at Cabo del Sol?

I am looking at taking a trip in late April and the price of the all inclusive stay at each of these are essentially the same (about $100 more at Pueblo Bonito over the 4 night stay, so around $25 a night difference). I've narrowed it down to these two resorts due since I am either wanting to play Quivira or both the Ocean and Desert courses at Cabo del Sol. I will be with my girlfriend who doesn't play golf so I'd be planning to play the courses during twilight rates.

Looking at the rates, it looks like the Ocean course at Cabo del Sol is $175 at the twilight rate and the desert is $99. Quivira twilight rate is $267. I'd probably look to play twice at the minimum and maybe 3 of the days. So I could play both courses at Cabo del Sol for around the same price as one round at Quivira.

At this point is am leaning towards going the Cabo del Sol route, unless the resort at Pueblo Bonito is significantly nicer than the Grand Fiesta Americana. Anyone with any opinions on these two resorts, as well as the 3 courses mentioned?

Go to golfvactioninsider.com. They have a article about pueblo Bonita and there is deal for readers. It is the second story on the website right. It looks like decent deal. Hope that helps

Like everyone said, Cabo blows Cancun / Playa out of the water for golf (and weather, food, etc.) I've been to both places multiple times, and I only go to Yucatan when my buddies have destination weddings. Anywho, if you've never played Quivira, then you must stay at a Pueblo Bonito property; they have many properties in Cabo, and all will give you access to the course. The nicer hotels are on the Pacific side (the Sunset, Pacifico, Monte Cristo), and I would recommend staying there. Given your group size, you could get one (or two) of their 3,000 sq. ft. Monte Cristo villas and have the time of your life. There are cons since you're on the other side of Cabo, and quite a ways from Cabo Del Sol and the "action". If you want to split the difference, then stay at the PB Bonita or Blanco which are in great locations, and you are in the center of it all. They are nice as well, but slightly older. I've played Quivira three times, and both courses at Cabo Del Sol once. You cannot go wrong with any of these courses (all are top notch), but Quivira is what everyone will be talking about on the way home, along with the free tacos on the turn at Del Sol. :) Enjoy.

PS. You'll really kick yourself if you don't make it on Quivira. Just do what you gotta do to stay at a PB property. Monte Cristo Villas are amazing, and may be practical given your group size.

I just booked a 5 day, 4 night stay at Pueblo Bonito Pacifica in early May. I got a really good deal and plan on playing Quivira one of the days for sure. Also, may try and sneak over and get a round in at the Ocean course at Cabo del Sol if it works out.

I found a really great price for the trip on Expedia, so I sent the information and price from Expedia to my travel agent to see if he could match the price, since I would have felt better going through an agency as opposed to Expedia. He said that he should be able to match the price. He then later responds that unfortunately he can't match the price and he thinks that the price is an error on Expedia's site. The best he could do for the same trip was $3,050 (the total on Expedia was $2,135). He said that his vendors told him that the package is incorrectly listed on Expedia's site and that once I put the names in and my CC information that it would most likely kick the reservation back with an error. However, this was not the case, and my reservation is now confirmed as booked, I have the airline e-ticket, etc. via Expedia.

Has anyone had any experience booking a trip via Expedia? Everything seems to check out, and I went ahead and purchases the travel protection for $75 a piece through Expedia, but for some reason I am still a bit worried that there is going to be an issue based on the comments of the travel agent.

That seems reasonable for the Pacifica; I believe that is the newest / priciest hotel in the PB portfolio. Given that you're there for five days, I would try to fit a second round in at Q.

We're actually heading back in two weeks, does anyone have a good way to get on Diamante Dunes w/o having to sit through a presentation?

Like everyone said, Cabo blows Cancun / Playa out of the water for golf (and weather, food, etc.) I've been to both places multiple times, and I only go to Yucatan when my buddies have destination weddings. Anywho, if you've never played Quivira, then you must stay at a Pueblo Bonito property; they have many properties in Cabo, and all will give you access to the course. The nicer hotels are on the Pacific side (the Sunset, Pacifico, Monte Cristo), and I would recommend staying there. Given your group size, you could get one (or two) of their 3,000 sq. ft. Monte Cristo villas and have the time of your life. There are cons since you're on the other side of Cabo, and quite a ways from Cabo Del Sol and the "action". If you want to split the difference, then stay at the PB Bonita or Blanco which are in great locations, and you are in the center of it all. They are nice as well, but slightly older. I've played Quivira three times, and both courses at Cabo Del Sol once. You cannot go wrong with any of these courses (all are top notch), but Quivira is what everyone will be talking about on the way home, along with the free tacos on the turn at Del Sol. :) Enjoy.

PS. You'll really kick yourself if you don't make it on Quivira. Just do what you gotta do to stay at a PB property. Monte Cristo Villas are amazing, and may be practical given your group size.

I had never heard of Peublo Bonito prior to reading your review, but after doing a bunch of research, I'm about to book a package for four people at their Sunset Beach resort for April. Got a great deal through Costco after realizing that Sunday-to-Sunday was the key to the lowest prices. I plan to play Quivira. Thanks, man!

I had never heard of Peublo Bonito prior to reading your review, but after doing a bunch of research, I'm about to book a package for four people at their Sunset Beach resort for April. Got a great deal through Costco after realizing that Sunday-to-Sunday was the key to the lowest prices. I plan to play Quivira. Thanks, man!

Awesome! Glad I could help influence your decision to book at a PB resort. The Sunset is a big resort, and they have plenty of transportation on property to shuttle you around to the various pools, restaurants, etc. They even have a bus that will take you to their properties close to downtown, and from there you can walk to all of the popular spots (i.e. The Office, Cabo Wabo, etc.). Cheers!

@Bubb Nice, the PB Pacifica is the nicest one, and is literally right on the ocean. Make sure to spend a fair amount of time at the Quivira club house, probably one of the most amazing 19th holes in all of golf.

@Robrey85 The beaches aren't as nice as say Cancun / Bahamas, but I much prefer the weather (dry vs. tropical), food, and golf. I'm more of a pool w/ a beach view kind of guy, so the caliber of beaches aren't really critical.

@Bubb Nice, the PB Pacifica is the nicest one, and is literally right on the ocean. Make sure to spend a fair amount of time at the Quivira club house, probably one of the most amazing 19th holes in all of golf.

@Robrey85 The beaches aren't as nice as say Cancun / Bahamas, but I much prefer the weather (dry vs. tropical), food, and golf. I'm more of a pool w/ a beach view kind of guy, so the caliber of beaches aren't really critical.

I agree on the preference toward an arid climate. Palm Springs and Scottsdale are two of my favorite golf destinations. The dry climate not only makes for more dependable weather but also better turf conditions. How is the food at the Quivira clubhouse? It looks like they have steak dinners, which I believe is included with our hotel package since they're affiliated.

I kind of feel sorry for the hotel (all-inclusive) given how much we're going to drink. Not a drop on the course, though. I'm not paying $300+ to shoot an 85 and stumble out of there with my tail between my legs.

I was reading where rogue waves take people off the sand and they can't get back to shore and end up drowning. Even though they weren't in the water! Crazy. I'm going to keep a safe distance from the ocean, I guess.

Any other attractions in the area we shouldn't miss?

Thanks again for the great feedback.

I agree on the preference toward an arid climate. Palm Springs and Scottsdale are two of my favorite golf destinations. The dry climate not only makes for more dependable weather but also better turf conditions. How is the food at the Quivira clubhouse? It looks like they have steak dinners, which I believe is included with our hotel package since they're affiliated.

I kind of feel sorry for the hotel (all-inclusive) given how much we're going to drink. Not a drop on the course, though. I'm not paying $300+ to shoot an 85 and stumble out of there with my tail between my legs.

I was reading where rogue waves take people off the sand and they can't get back to shore and end up drowning. Even though they weren't in the water! Crazy. I'm going to keep a safe distance from the ocean, I guess.

Any other attractions in the area we shouldn't miss?

Thanks again for the great feedback.

Completely agree; Cabo is basically Palm Springs / Scottsdale on the Pacific i.e. golf mecca.

I would double check if Quivira clubhouse is included in your all-inclusive package; we ran into some interference with this when we were there, and had to finagle a dinner out of the management, and when it was all said and done, the steak dinner wasn't worth the hassle. I highly recommend the Q clubhouse for post round cervezas, snacks, and even pre-dinner drinks to watch the sunset, but I would dine elsewhere. Just my 0.02.

For other attractions, if it's your first time to Cabo, taking water taxis out to lovers beach and to see the arch is fun (and relatively inexpensive), and having dinner at The Office is somewhat a right of passage. There is no shortage of dining options in Cabo, so I would abuse Tripadvisor to find spots that suit your taste. I recommend taking the PB bus to the other side of Cabo, and you can walk to all these places.

• 2 weeks later...

That seems reasonable for the Pacifica; I believe that is the newest / priciest hotel in the PB portfolio. Given that you're there for five days, I would try to fit a second round in at Q.

We're actually heading back in two weeks, does anyone have a good way to get on Diamante Dunes w/o having to sit through a presentation?

Aloha. I use to work at Diamante as an assistant pro. There is no good way to get on the course besides the time share presentation. Its a bummer but well worth it.

WITB 2019:

Callaway Epic Flash Sub 0 Driver
Callaway Rogue 3-wood
Callaway Apex MB 3-PW
Chrome 4 Wedges 52 & 56
Ping Anser No.5 Putter

• 2 weeks later...

Aloha. I use to work at Diamante as an assistant pro. There is no good way to get on the course besides the time share presentation. Its a bummer but well worth it.

Well, our trip was a success, but I didn't make on Diamante; had the opportunity with a housing pitch, but we were staying closer to Cabo Del Sol, and given the logistics and presentation time, it would have been a long day....wife is cool with me golfing, but have to pick my battles (next time). I did however get to play both the Ocean course and Desert course at CDS, and I think Desert is the better of the two. There's something about navigating the topography of the Baja mountains, overlooking the sea of cortez, and not playing in a hotel / housing development. While Ocean 16, 17, and 18 is one of the best three hole stretches in Baja, I think for the money, the Desert is the price performer.

• 2 weeks later...

Since this is a while after your posted question, this info might not be helpful since you might have already made your plans. I've stayed at both places. They're both very nice places to stay. The brand new towers section at Pacifica is very nice. Pools at Grand Fiesta are really nicely done, if that's of importance to you in between golf. But since golf is important, I'd stay at Pacifica so you can play Quivira. if you stay at Grand Fiesta, you can't play Quivira. You could play Cabo del Sol no matter where you might stay.

Since this is a while after your posted question, this info might not be helpful since you might have already made your plans. I've stayed at both places. They're both very nice places to stay. The brand new towers section at Pacifica is very nice. Pools at Grand Fiesta are really nicely done, if that's of importance to you in between golf. But since golf is important, I'd stay at Pacifica so you can play Quivira. if you stay at Grand Fiesta, you can't play Quivira. You could play Cabo del Sol no matter where you might stay.

Appreciate the input. I have already booked plans, and decided to go with staying at Pacifica and playing Quivira for sure. I may be able to sneak another round in while I'm down there and will most likely play Cabo del Sol. Ideally I want to play both the Desert and Ocean courses, but I'm not sure I will be able to play 3 rounds. Will most likely have to chose between the two. I pitched the idea of the trip to my girlfriend as a fun getaway for us (with the idea that there is great golf in Cabo), so I don't think I'll try pushing my limits on a third round. But it sounds like what I booked lines up pretty well with your recommendations.

Appreciate the input. I have already booked plans, and decided to go with staying at Pacifica and playing Quivira for sure. I may be able to sneak another round in while I'm down there and will most likely play Cabo del Sol. Ideally I want to play both the Desert and Ocean courses, but I'm not sure I will be able to play 3 rounds. Will most likely have to chose between the two. I pitched the idea of the trip to my girlfriend as a fun getaway for us (with the idea that there is great golf in Cabo), so I don't think I'll try pushing my limits on a third round. But it sounds like what I booked lines up pretty well with your recommendations.

If you can't play both of the C del Sol courses, play the Ocean. Desert is fine, but you have to play those last few holes on the Ocean course. And Quivira - well I am hard pressed to think of any other course with the eye candy that Quivira has on those ocean side holes. They're sort of funky holes from a pure golf perspective but when you get to them, the view makes you not care that the holes themselves are not that superb !! Have fun ! And remember when staying at Pacifica, you do have privileges at all the other Pueblo Bonito resorts with a free shuttle to take you back and forth - PB Rose, Blanco and Sunset. Sunset is ok to go to, to get a break away from Pacifica for a day. Better than the other two.

There are about 15 championship golf courses in Cabo. You can't go wrong with most any of them. If you can get on try Querencia. It's a Fazio track. Mickelson and Sergio played a Shell Wonderful World of Golf match on it.

2015 Taylormade PSI 4-PW
2009 Titleist Vokey BV Spin Milled 52
2009 Titleist Vokey BV Spin Milled 56
2018 Taylormade Milled Grind 60
2005 King Cobra Baffler Hybrid 20
2017 Callaway GBB Epic 3W 13.5 +1
2014 Ping G-30 10.5
2018 Titleist Stay Dry Bag

If you can't play both of the C del Sol courses, play the Ocean. Desert is fine, but you have to play those last few holes on the Ocean course. And Quivira - well I am hard pressed to think of any other course with the eye candy that Quivira has on those ocean side holes. They're sort of funky holes from a pure golf perspective but when you get to them, the view makes you not care that the holes themselves are not that superb !! Have fun ! And remember when staying at Pacifica, you do have privileges at all the other Pueblo Bonito resorts with a free shuttle to take you back and forth - PB Rose, Blanco and Sunset. Sunset is ok to go to, to get a break away from Pacifica for a day. Better than the other two.

Thanks Tom! I'm really looking forward to it.

• 1 month later...

Just got back from Cabo. We stayed at Pueblo Bonita Pacifica, which is adults-only and, in my opinion, the nicest of the four PB hotels. Halfway through the week we were able to get a free upgrade to the Monte Cristo private homes, which are spectacular. This is ordinarily a big upcharge, but they had overbooked Pacifica. I would avoid the Rose and Blanco hotels at PB.

The service was great and the food was decent, but the options were too fancy and not casual enough for the four of us. We got the all inclusive package and made good use of room service. We had some fun downtown, but it gets old pretty quick, in my opinion.

Anyway, we played Quivira twice and the views are jaw-droppingly beautiful. The comfort stations are beyond anything I've ever seen on a course. The design was not to our liking as there were way too many hazards in the middle of fairways, but that's nitpicking because you'd be hard-pressed not to have the time of your life on Quivira. The wind was also consistently punishing. If we go back, we would not play golf on the Pacific side due to the wind. There is a reason most of the other courses are on the other side. While I'm sure they're windy as well, the Pacific side makes the courses almost unplayable.

Thanks to those who gave me advice in this thread!

• 2 months later...

Is Cabo Del Sol close enough to PB to play? If you stay at PB can you even play CDS?

It would be about 30 min from PB Pacifica or Sunset and 15 min from PB Rose or Blanco to Cabo Del Sol. CDS is open to anyone to play so you should be able to get on if you stay at PB. From my understanding Quivira is only open to those staying at a PB resort or those that own property there. However, it may be possible to sit through a time share presentation and be able to get on at Quivira. That I'm not 100% on.

Is Cabo Del Sol close enough to PB to play? If you stay at PB can you even play CDS?

It would be about 30 min from PB Pacifica or Sunset and 15 min from PB Rose or Blanco to Cabo Del Sol. CDS is open to anyone to play so you should be able to get on if you stay at PB. From my understanding Quivira is only open to those staying at a PB resort or those that own property there. However, it may be possible to sit through a time share presentation and be able to get on at Quivira. That I'm not 100% on.

giphy.gif

:cheesy:

I'd rather just stay at PB and get the option to play Quivira and/or get a cab to CDS. Thanks for the response! The wife were thinking about using our Delta miles to go down to Cabo and then just paying for the hotel and whatever amenities we want to do.