Spring 2017 Cancun (OR CABO?) Mexico recommendations & agency?

retep

Is Cabo Del Sol close enough to PB to play? If you stay at PB can you even play CDS?

It would be about 30 min from PB Pacifica or Sunset and 15 min from PB Rose or Blanco to Cabo Del Sol. CDS is open to anyone to play so you should be able to get on if you stay at PB. From my understanding Quivira is only open to those staying at a PB resort or those that own property there. However, it may be possible to sit through a time share presentation and be able to get on at Quivira. That I'm not 100% on.

giphy.gif

:cheesy:

I'd rather just stay at PB and get the option to play Quivira and/or get a cab to CDS. Thanks for the response! The wife were thinking about using our Delta miles to go down to Cabo and then just paying for the hotel and whatever amenities we want to do.

Yeah that's a good plan. We stayed at PB Pacifica in early May and loved it. It's more of lowkey spot but it's only about 10 minutes or so away from downtown so not far if you want some more night life. I played one round at Quivira and it's a great experience. I was hoping to get in a round at CDS but it didn't work out. I'm definitely looking forward to going back sometime.

I'd rather just stay at PB and get the option to play Quivira and/or get a cab to CDS. Thanks for the response! The wife were thinking about using our Delta miles to go down to Cabo and then just paying for the hotel and whatever amenities we want to do.

We just got back from Cabo last weekend. While there we played Cabo del Sol Ocean plus Cabo Real. Not sure when you are planning to go but do check on when they are aerifying greens at Quivira. CDS had just finished doing their greens the last week of May so when we played the Ocean, the greens were a little sandy still - not bad but not pristine by any stretch. The marshall told us most of the other courses do their summer greens work in July. So forewarned is forearmed since no one wants to play sanded greens on a high dollar course on a holiday. And PB is a very nice place to stay, you'll like that if you do stay there.

We just got back from Cabo last weekend. While there we played Cabo del Sol Ocean plus Cabo Real. Not sure when you are planning to go but do check on when they are aerifying greens at Quivira. CDS had just finished doing their greens the last week of May so when we played the Ocean, the greens were a little sandy still - not bad but not pristine by any stretch. The marshall told us most of the other courses do their summer greens work in July. So forewarned is forearmed since no one wants to play sanded greens on a high dollar course on a holiday. And PB is a very nice place to stay, you'll like that if you do stay there.

Thanks for the heads up Tom! I'll definitely find out when exactly they aerate before we plan our trip.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am in Cabo right now. Have played Diamante Dunes once, Diamante El Cardinal twice and Quivira once. Playing Dunes tomorrow again then home Saturday. Quivira is something else. It's not even golf, it's an amusement ride! I can't even believe some of the shots you hit out there, it truly is something amazing. Courses are not overly tough, I haven't played in months and I haven't been over 80 yet. But what an experience.

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/56/60
Scotty Cameron GOLO

I am in Cabo right now. Have played Diamante Dunes once, Diamante El Cardinal twice and Quivira once. Playing Dunes tomorrow again then home Saturday. Quivira is something else. It's not even golf, it's an amusement ride! I can't even believe some of the shots you hit out there, it truly is something amazing. Courses are not overly tough, I haven't played in months and I haven't been over 80 yet. But what an experience.

El Cardonal from the tips is a pretty decent test IMO. Dunes from the tips is far easier. Quivira as well

El Cardonal from the tips is a pretty decent test IMO. Dunes from the tips is far easier. Quivira as well

Oh yeah from the tips they would be hard. We are playing the tees that are about 6700 yards or so. None of us are really long hitters. One last go around Dunes today then we fly home tomorrow. Other then Scotland, this has been the best golf I have experienced.

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Scotty Cameron GOLO

Heading to Cabo this Weds - Sun for a buddy's trip. Playing Quivira and CDS-Ocean course, plus 1 day deep sea fishing. Staying at Marina Fiesta Resort ($180/night double occupancy), which is not a Quivira-affiliated resort. We booked through an agency (Best4Golf). $805 for the package, including all transportation. Not sure if that's a deal or ripoff, one of the other guys arranged it. I'll post trip update when I get back.

• 3 weeks later...

Trip update: Didn't get on Quivira, played Palmilla instead. Really nice course (3 9 holes), we played all 3 courses - Arroyo, Mountain, Ocean. Not a lot of difference between the courses, Ocean goes near the water on 1 hole, then back inland. Well maintained, friendly staff and great service. CDS also a great course, much harder than Palmilla, more places to miss and more bunkers to grab wayward shots. Definitely would play either again.

• 1 year later...

We are booked to go back to Diamante February 2020 for the Super Bowl party tournament at the Dunes course. I cannot wait, it is such an awesome place! Hopefully both courses are in great shape, and the weather is nice as always. Can't come soon enough!

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Scotty Cameron GOLO

• 1 month later...

So we are staying 1 week at Diamante, and all the rounds will be set up there. Then we are going to stay another 3 to 4 days in San Jose. Does anyone know if there are any public courses in town or around that area that we should try to play? I guess there is a 9 hole Muni right be the house we will stay at, but just wondering if there is anything else worth trying? Thanks

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Scotty Cameron GOLO

> @mikedejong said:

> So we are staying 1 week at Diamante, and all the rounds will be set up there. Then we are going to stay another 3 to 4 days in San Jose. Does anyone know if there are any public courses in town or around that area that we should try to play? I guess there is a 9 hole Muni right be the house we will stay at, but just wondering if there is anything else worth trying? Thanks

Cabo San Lucas CC is right near there but it is by far the lowest quality 18 hole track in the Los Cabos area. In Nov 2019 the brand new Greg Norman Rancho San Lucas GC will be open but as of yet I have not heard how open they will be to players not staying at the Grand Solmar Rancho San Lucas resort right near it. Staying at Diamante might allow you access if this course is selective like so many of the other Cabo courses are now. The best course in Los Cabos that is open to everyone is Cabo del Sol Ocean but. . . it is undergoing a redesign right now to prepare it for becoming a private club only for propery owners at Cabo del Sol sometime in 2020. However I do not think it will have gone private by Feb 2020 so you will be able to get on as long as the renovation is all done, which it is supposed to be by then. Quivira is also very close to Diamante and is worth a try because of its spectacular ocean side holes - however last time I checked you had to stay at Pueblo Bonito Pacifica or rent a Coppala condo to get on Quivira. But again your Diamante hosts may inquire to see if you could get on Quivira. And Cabo Real is a decent track open to everyone, other than holes #5, 6 which were the leftovers from when they sold off the coastal land to developers that they originally had. The other 16 holes are pretty good and the back nine is very nice there. Cabo Real used to host a Senior Skin Game event so it was well thought of.

> @TomWishon said:

> > @mikedejong said:

> > So we are staying 1 week at Diamante, and all the rounds will be set up there. Then we are going to stay another 3 to 4 days in San Jose. Does anyone know if there are any public courses in town or around that area that we should try to play? I guess there is a 9 hole Muni right be the house we will stay at, but just wondering if there is anything else worth trying? Thanks

>

> Cabo San Lucas CC is right near there but it is by far the lowest quality 18 hole track in the Los Cabos area. In Nov 2019 the brand new Greg Norman Rancho San Lucas GC will be open but as of yet I have not heard how open they will be to players not staying at the Grand Solmar Rancho San Lucas resort right near it. Staying at Diamante might allow you access if this course is selective like so many of the other Cabo courses are now. The best course in Los Cabos that is open to everyone is Cabo del Sol Ocean but. . . it is undergoing a redesign right now to prepare it for becoming a private club only for propery owners at Cabo del Sol sometime in 2020. However I do not think it will have gone private by Feb 2020 so you will be able to get on as long as the renovation is all done, which it is supposed to be by then. Quivira is also very close to Diamante and is worth a try because of its spectacular ocean side holes - however last time I checked you had to stay at Pueblo Bonito Pacifica or rent a Coppala condo to get on Quivira. But again your Diamante hosts may inquire to see if you could get on Quivira. And Cabo Real is a decent track open to everyone, other than holes #5, 6 which were the leftovers from when they sold off the coastal land to developers that they originally had. The other 16 holes are pretty good and the back nine is very nice there. Cabo Real used to host a Senior Skin Game event so it was well thought of.

Thank you very much! Last time down we got to play Quivira. Not sure we will get to play it again this time. But I will look into the others you mentioned. Thanks,

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Scotty Cameron GOLO

Is there any other way to get on Quivira? I almost booked a trip to stay at the Pueblo Bonita Pacifica, until I did research on the properties and how the overwhelming opinion is that they are both terrible and getting worse. The resorts are not all inclusive -they have tons of upcharges; you can't get in the water at pacifica, the service seems to be a nightmare recently.

I don't want to pay for a crappy resort and have a crappy vacation, just to get a round of golf!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out we may be able to play Costa Palmas. Does anybody have any insight on this one?

As for Quivira (question above) the only reason we got on is because we went with a group that was involved with the construction of the course. I have no idea how else to get on, but have been told that it is a no go for our upcoming trip.

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Scotty Cameron GOLO

• 1 month later...

i got back from cabo a few weeks ago and got a chance to play cabo del sol desert course, it truly is the best of the public courses out there. the course was beautiful and the starter had some great tips. the service was constantly at your beck and call. everytime i finished a club at the practice range, there was a guy there to wipe down each club. they included all my beverages for the day and food also.

i'd previously been to cabo last summer and had played palmilla, cabo real, and puerto los cabos. this time around i played puerto los cabos, cabo del sol, and camp campestre.

• 3 months later...

We just got back from 2 weeks in Cabo. The first week we stayed at Diamante and we played the Dunes twice, and El Cardonal three times. Unfortunately the Super Bowl Tourney was a complete rain out as it poured that day. We also played the par 3 course and the new putting course at the Dunes clubhouse. Both were really quite fun to play. The second week we stayed in San Jose and we played three other courses: we played 9 at the Vidanta. It was nothing special, but our house backed onto the course and we played it for $40 each so it was fun to try. Then we played Campestre. We were super impressed with this course! It was really awesome, and I think we paid something like $120 for it. Finally we played Palmilla (Arroyo, Mountain). The first nine was pretty dull, but the back nine was pretty good. A little over priced I believe but it was fun to play.

EFA42R584XMK.jpg

Driver: Ping G430 Max

Fairway: Ping G425 Max

Hybrid: Adams Pro Black

Irons (5 to U): Ping I525

Wedges (56, 60): Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth

Putter: Bettinardi BB5

That's a shame that the Super Bowl event got rained out. I've spent around 30 weeks at our place down there in the last 4 years and I honestly don't recall being rained out even once. Bad luck that it rained that day. The 11th on Dunes (your picture) is a brute some days if the wind is into (it is usually downwind a bit). When we were down over Xmas and New Years we had one day on Dunes where the wind was brutal. Had to hit a 5 iron on 17 from the IIs. It is normally at most an 8. OTOH I had 7 iron into 18 so... you win some and you lose some.

Glad you enjoyed it either way.

Thank you, it was a great trip. It was windy for the first part of the trip following that storm. Then it calmed down and was really nice. We enjoyed Cardonal this time more then we had in the past. It was in great shape this time and we really enjoyed it. There are some tough holes out there. I always find Dunes to be a little more forgiving. We played deck II mainly, but tried deck III once on Cardonal and that was a huge difference. Deck I would be tough. The time share sales people were in full force. By the end of our week there they were offering us $1,000 in resort credit to sit through their presentation. We couldn’t pass up a day of golf to do it though, no chance. We will be back, and I am already looking forward to it.

I've played both El Cardonal and Dunes from the Is a few times. The front 9 of El Cardonal is an absolute brute from those tees but the back isn't too bad. Dunes from the Is is quite playable actually.

We *own* our place outright so there's no dealing with the fractional people at all. We generally hit Oasis once or twice as well. I'm looking forward to the Legacy Club opening in a couple of years. Really should make it the unequivocal top golf community in Cabo.

• 1 year later...

Heading back to Diamante next month. We have times booked for El Cardonal and Dunes already. Has anybody played them recently? How are conditions? We are hoping to play another course off property this year. Any suggestions for something close by?

• 1 month later...

Just got back from Diamante, it was awesome once again. This time we played El Cardonal 3 times and The Dunes twice. One of our friends made a hole in one on #16 at El Cardonal, it was pretty fun to watch!

Some photos:

IMG-20220208-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20220208-WA0002.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2022 at 1:19 AM, soregongolfer said:

Bummer nobody gave you an answer.  How hard was it?

Unless you sit through a time share presentation (which is like 6 hours of hell), or play with a member / owner, I am not sure you can get on. Maybe if you stay at one of the hotels there on the beach, but I don't think public can get on very easily. We go with friends that are owners there, otherwise I don't know how you would get to play them.

• 3 weeks later...

Agree with the above. We played Campestre and really liked it. Palmilla was good too, but I liked Campestre better. We also played the 9 hole Vidante course, it wasn't great. But Quivira, Dunes, El Cardonal are all good if you can get on.