Mizuno MP-18 SC

jrshelby

It's a Mizzy MCB for chrissakes, not a TBaG neon iron?

Not everyone slaps badges and writing all over the faceback-

custom_MZN_CS_14000108_100_1_en.jpg

:)

????

These are an abomination??

However I know a guy that gamed em and he loves em and they really have helped his iron game, especially his 5-6i's

Have a great week?

My Best?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah finally get rid of that harsh feeling GF Boron so the SC has GF Forged HD yet the S18 is GF Forged Boron?

It has more to do with the head design than the boron....

Aside from Mizzy's cast/forged "test" with their Staffers back in 2011, and granted I've only spoken to two design engineers(one from Mizzy, one from Staff) so it's not like I've talked to a significant number, though the Mizzy guy was the #2 guy on the 87's and lead designer on the 37's, and both said that head design was more critical to the "feel" of a club than material with the advent and evolution of today's machining processes. Also, the few Plus Ams/Pros that I've spoken to that have hit the 25's, to a man(well, and one woman, lol), said the 25's were nice irons, though two of the five mentioned "flyers," which I haven't heard since the 58/59/15's and they all mentioned the head design regarding the feel.

Madison, who ended up going with the Staff 100 Tours, thought that the feel/sound of the 25's was similar to the Staff Fg Tour V6's, Staff's Player's MCB, a "crisper(firmer)" feel/sound, which she doesn't have feelings about one way or the other cuz she thought that the 100's felt "crisper" than the 5's.

Anyhoo, my point is that while someone may not like the 25's, think they're trash, yada yada yada, I just chuckle cuz nowhere else do we here these kind of comments regarding the material, i.e., boron. Not in the press, not from the Tour Boys and Girls that hit em and commented, not from any Players locally that any of us may have spoken to and not from Mizzy, which is not known for flippantly and frivolously changing and/or introducing something new into their line-up. I don't recall hearing these kind of comments about the 58/59's, and I thought those irons just plain friggin sucked(They set a whole new bar for me ragrding the definition of a "flyer," lol)

Nada...

Nil..

Nothing...

Oh well, thank the good Lord that Mizzy has a plethora of irons for the guys to belt around and hopefully everyone finds one to their liking :)

Just my .03 of course☺️

Stay well my Friends?

RP

Hey RP, I've had the 25's in the bag for over a year now and 100+ rounds. After 10 years of playing 2-3 times per year, I got back into golf like an addict...and the MP-25 was the perfect fit to replace my circa 1999 Titleist DCI 990's. Yeah, 1999!. After putting them through the paces I can confirm the things I loved about them from the start hold true today - forgiveness, workability, forgiving turf interaction from the slightly-thicker-than-a-true-blade sole.

Now that I'm striking them in the middle of the face for the most part, I can start nitpicking right? I'd like to see a slightly lighter head weight and a slimmer topline. A slightly lower traj. I imagine those changes would also reduce the forgiveness on those mediocre strikes, but we're all looking for that perfect iron that does it all. The MP-18SC looks really nice to me so I'll probably give them a try in the Fall. I can tell you I won't be trading in my 25's though, because they are just a crazy good iron. It sounds like the safest possible iron choice for you, as it was for me when I decided to get back into it.

Hope that helps, and wish you the best of luck. Cheers!

Josh

Thanks much Josh, that does indeed!!

They sound like the type of iron that I should try when I'm able to swing, though I also have the Staff Tour F5's and the Staff Tour 100 MB's.

My ball striking and SS won't be that to benefit from a blade however 48 years of Playin one keeps whispering in my ear, "give me a try," lmao

Madison is there to confront me with reality though I think that the first time I swing the Mizzy 68 or Staff 100 4i, well that will be enough "reality" for me??

Thanks again for taking the time to respond?

Have a great season

My Best?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Really curious to see how these look at address. I hope they have a more square/"boxier" appearance and sharper lines/angles.

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
PXG Gen 6 0311P (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 51° - Oban CT 115s+
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 55° - Oban CT 125s+
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 60° - Oban CT 125s+

Toulon Las Vegas DB

Frankly I hope Mizuno (are you listening Chris Voshall) brings the MP 55 to the US. MP feel and theyre stronger lofted and will kick the CF16s out of many players bags.

I've came close to buying the MP-55. Holding out for this new release. I don't mind slightly stronger lofts in long irons. My previous SLDR irons had a 21 4 iron and 46 PW. Turning 3/4/5 irons into just 4/5 frees up the top and bottom of bag.

The 900F fits that spot very well and feels wonderful, regardless of what anyone wants to say about the Boron.

900F is a nice iron, but really doesn't compare to an MP iron in looks and feel IMO.

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/Garage San Diego-Naked/2022 BB1-F/Las Vegas H7-Tour Silver

Pro V1X

Frankly I hope Mizuno (are you listening Chris Voshall) brings the MP 55 to the US. MP feel and theyre stronger lofted and will kick the CF16s out of many players bags.

I've came close to buying the MP-55. Holding out for this new release. I don't mind slightly stronger lofts in long irons. My previous SLDR irons had a 21 4 iron and 46 PW. Turning 3/4/5 irons into just 4/5 frees up the top and bottom of bag.

The 900F fits that spot very well and feels wonderful, regardless of what anyone wants to say about the Boron.

900F is a nice iron, but really doesn't compare to an MP iron in looks and feel IMO.

Having recently played 15's, 54's, 64's and still owning a set of 5's, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

They look better than any of them, more compact in short irons (I like the satin), also understand those that don't.

You are right, not an MP in looks and feel, just better. I will give you the fact that the 5's may be a touch softer when flushed, but that is it.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Of course I stumble into this thread after getting my JPX 900 Tours.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

Having recently played 15's, 54's, 64's and still owning a set of 5's, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

They look better than any of them, more compact in short irons (I like the satin), also understand those that don't.

You are right, not an MP in looks and feel, just better. I will give you the fact that the 5's may be a touch softer when flushed, but that is it.

Yeah, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. They both look good. I just prefer the classic, minimal elegance of MP over the modern, slightly aggressive styling of jpx. I don't mind the size of the short irons.

I do need to try the 900F on grass though. Can't really gauge feel accurately on mats indoors.

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/Garage San Diego-Naked/2022 BB1-F/Las Vegas H7-Tour Silver

Pro V1X

I'll disagree with you on the jpx. I played mp5 last year, mp64 this year. My golf buddy has the 900 tours. I don't feel that the 900 tours feel or look as good as the mp5 or mp64 I'ved played. I don't care for the satin look or the jagged industrial look. I prefer chrome as it wears better. I also prefer the turf interaction of the 5. The 64 is probably the most forgiving MP I've played since the 32. The feel/sound of the 900 tour is more harsh than a traditional MP iron to my ears.

The 900 tours are great irons....just not a MP iron.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

It's a Mizzy MCB for chrissakes, not a TBaG neon iron�� Not everyone slaps badges and writing all over the faceback-

custom_MZN_CS_14000108_100_1_en.jpg

:)

ahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah. that is the best slam ever.

It was a world class pimp slap though I should have been more specific as I was referring to Mizzy's Player's irons/MP irons because the "EZ" irons are as ugly as any TBaG iron and that name, "EZ????"

Seriously?

I don't care how great an iron that they are-

It's a shame because I'm just guessing, though I'd guess that a lot of guys are put off by the badged up faceback and never even hit em as a result, and as I said, the few guys that I know that hit em, bought em and love em

Have a great day?

My Best?

RP

Haha cool Vosh give us satin finish option too! Heck offer all the new offerings and old models through Yoro Craft and in LH ?

I'm listening ssfranny! ha!

The hope is to do you one better than that. Keep waiting!

Had a set too thick of a top line and launched ball too low when I'd use a 7 on down couldn't spin the ball on approach shots. At least the short irons were smaller than the 850 forged.

And the GF Boron does feel different not the soft feeling of all the MPs I've had since MP 30s. PXG, Callaway and Srixon have all kept soft feeling irons while increasing distance with lofts

All good, to each his own.

I own 5's, played Srixon 945's last season for a bit, had 900 Tours, these feel great when flushed, and have a touch more give than the others, and I am no scratch player.

It's all personal preference.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T150 6-G PX LZ
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Is it normal for clubs like this to pop up on the conforming list and be there for so long without being seen on tour in players bags? just seems like a long time without any real life photos. I feel like clubs don't hit the conforming list until the manufacturer is about to put it in players bags and that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Not really about these irons however a nice interview with Chris~

https://www.golftec.com/blog/2015/11/qa-with-mizuno-club-engineer-chris-voshall-part-1/

A Class Act and an excellent designer

Continued success Bro?

Have a great week Gals & Gents?

RP

When are the SC's coming out?

My guess is at The Open.

That'd be my guess also however I can't believe that Jonathan is the only Player with the 18's in the bag. Those are some gorgeous blades and I was sorta mistaken(jeezus, I sound like the girl that says "I'm sorta pregnant"?) cuz I said that the days of the "pure blade," ala the 14/33 designs, were over however the 18's are definitely a blade, regardless of one's definition and parameters.

I don't know how I was sorta right about the comment however I feel better about myself if I can delude myself into believing that I wasn't totally clueless, lol

You know, a Fairways & Greens thingy versus bunkers & rough?

Have a great week My Friend?

RP

I'm hoping the SC's have some tungsten action going on in the long irons for some help either way these are really appealing IMO.

Hope they stay Satin as well

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

I would like to see a set of dinged up t7 wedges because mine after half a year look brand new with a few dings. My J15s look like they were thrown in a dryer. Boron doesn't affect the softness? Sure.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

I would like to see a set of dinged up t7 wedges because mine after half a year look brand new with a few dings. My J15s look like they were thrown in a dryer. Boron doesn't affect the softness? Sure.

Mine still look excellent, easily have 50+ rounds on em. It is my first set of forged wedges, so still feels better than anything I have played prior. I have the 900F with Boron also, still feel amazing. They may not be MP4/5 soft, but not much is....

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T150 6-G PX LZ
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Mine seem to ding up loads , just like the older mpt5

This firmer feel idea is placebo

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

The boron WAS added to the T7's to add durability to the grooves so consumers could have a forged wedge that would last a little longer. More of the feel aspect comes from the sound and design, which is why Mizuno focuses so much on acoustics in the MP line. I didn't like the 25's b/c I thought the super thin face, not boron, made them clicky, similar sound to the multi material MP's (58/59/15). There is only a fraction of a percent of boron. Played Mizuno MP's for over 10 years. Haven't hit the T7's b/c I'm still playing T5's, I don't go though wedges often. 900 Tour and MP-5 are same material, but b/c of the design I thought they felt different, not bad, just different.