Adult Heads with Junior Shafts

I've read a lot on here regarding the use of Flynn Golf shafts and adapters on OEM heads. My question is this: Does it really help? For example, I have a 9-year old that's a very good player and is dying for an EPIC. If I put an EPIC head on a Flynn Golf shaft, what is the difference I can expect when compared to my son's current US Kids Tour Series Driver? He carries his USKG driver 140 currently. Is it reasonable to expect that to increase? If so, by how much? 10 yards? More?

I have gotten shafts from Mike at Flynn golf and putt them on adults heads and they worked fine. My son is 11 and has been hitting an adult head for sometime now and there is a big difference in distance between that and a typical junior head like US Kids. I have started getting senior shafts in his clubs and then I cut them down to fit his height. My son hasn't had any issues with the senior flex shaft and he by no means is a long hitter. The only thing his coach pointed out was that cutting the club down significantly lowers the swing weight so he put some lead tape on the bottom of his driver. This gives the head a little more weight and thus some more pop on the drives.

US Kids woods are awful. He will pick up at least 10 yards with an adult driver.

So, a follow up or two. First, are the Flynn shafts the one's y'all would recommend if going this route? And second, regarding length of the club--I was going to use US Kids club lengths when determining how long to make the driver. He's currently 52" tall and the US Kids Driver length for 51" is 34 inches. The US Kids Driver length for 54" is 36 inches. Seems as though it may make sense to have it built to 36 inches? Maybe a skosh long right now, but not too much and gives room to grow into?

US Kids woods are awful. He will pick up at least 10 yards with an adult driver.

So, a follow up or two. First, are the Flynn shafts the one's y'all would recommend if going this route? And second, regarding length of the club--I was going to use US Kids club lengths when determining how long to make the driver. He's currently 52" tall and the US Kids Driver length for 51" is 34 inches. The US Kids Driver length for 54" is 36 inches. Seems as though it may make sense to have it built to 36 inches? Maybe a skosh long right now, but not too much and gives room to grow into?

You are on the right page. I would either do the Flynn or get a senior shaft depending on how big of a hitter he is. You won't go wrong putting him in the Flynn. I would build it at 35". When he grows just put an extension on it.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

You are on the right page. I would either do the Flynn or get a senior shaft depending on how big of a hitter he is. You won't go wrong putting him in the Flynn. I would build it at 35". When he grows just put an extension on it.

Final question (I Hope)--the US Kids driver is 14 degree loft. I'm assuming I don't want to put him into a 9 or 10.5 degree? There's a 13.5 that I've been looking at. And regarding the senior shaft thing, my son's club head speed is about 70 (was 66 a couple of months ago--trying to give him some credit for improving). My gut is he's not quite there for senior shafts?

Final question (I Hope)--the US Kids driver is 14 degree loft. I'm assuming I don't want to put him into a 9 or 10.5 degree? There's a 13.5 that I've been looking at. And regarding the senior shaft thing, my son's club head speed is about 70 (was 66 a couple of months ago--trying to give him some credit for improving). My gut is he's not quite there for senior shafts?

Nope. Not quite there for senior shaft.

I would get him an adjustable driver and put it on the highest loft. My kid hits his driver on average 221 with a swing speed of 92. I have his loft at 11.5.

My son has been playing an orange Cobra Biocell driver (14°) for the last 2 years. We keep replacing the shaft with an orange Flynn as he grows. He calls the driver Orange Crush.

Last week I found a good deal on a new ladies Taylormade R15. It was too good to pass up. He is going to try it with the stock shaft, but we may end up adding a Flynn.

My son is also 52" and went through three iron sets this past year. Was getting whippy with the US Kids TS 54" graphites, so, put him into the 57" US Kids TS with steel shafts. He chokes down, to no ill effects. Much better tempo, dispersion, and 10 yards extra per club.

Like HH said above, get a fully adjustable head and find a nice shaft. I bought a Cobra F6+ and threw in a Fujikura Vista Pro 45@ R3 flex (Ladies). Maxed loft at 12 degrees (shaft plays 39")and Neutral weight setting can pop it out 200. Average 185.

Qualified for IMG Worlds with this set up, so, I'm sticking with them for a awhile ?.

Good luck!

My son has been playing an orange Cobra Biocell driver (14°) for the last 2 years. We keep replacing the shaft with an orange Flynn as he grows. He calls the driver Orange Crush.

Last week I found a good deal on a new ladies Taylormade R15. It was too good to pass up. He is going to try it with the stock shaft, but we may end up adding a Flynn.

This is really funny. My son was using the same exact driver and I got the orange Flynn shaft and grip installed for him. He called it the Orange Crush and used it for almost two seasons. He always got comments from other competitors and fathers about that driver (very orange). After talking with Mike Flynn over the phone; my son is currently playing a Flynn driver (14*) and this driver gave him approximately 15-20 yards consistently over the Bio Cell.

Right now he is playing the Flynn orange shaft and grip with a black Flynn driver. I wanted to get another Flynn shaft and put it into my 2016 M2 head for my son but the loft will not be high enough for him. I keep looking for a higher lofted driver but I think he is hitting the max at the moment with the Flynn. It is a very good driver head for him.

Driver: Titleist TSR4 - Folds of Honor Ventura Blue TR
Fairway: Taylormade Stealth 2 16.5 - Tour UB TX

7 Wood: PXG Gen 5 7 wood - AD XS

Hybrid: PXG Gen 6 22* 4 - Tour AD 95x
Irons:   PXG 0317 CB 5-G - Steelfiber Reserve 110cw
Wedges:  TaylorMade MG3 54* / Taylormade Hi Toe 58* - KBS TGI
Putter: 1st - Low Tide Stability BLACK / Odyssey Tank Stability Black CounterBalance / Goodwood M6
Ball: Titleist -Prov1x, 2022 AVX, Tour B XS, TP5x  (Left Dash is number 1 ball but Bridgestone XS is close second)  

Have used the USK driver previously with my son, and going to an adult driver gained him about 15-20 yards. Firs we used a Wilson Staff D200 with a ladies shaft, but then went to the M2 with a Flynn shaft and he loves it.

The one thing I noticed in my playing with these clubs is that a senior shaft is a little thicker than a ladies shaft or the Flynn shafts, so it's much more difficult to get a junior grip on, like the Winn Jr. grips we use. For that reason alone we're still avoiding senior flex shafts.

My kid has been using Flynn shafts for some time now and they are awesome. So far, this has been the best set up yet. Flynn shaft paired with the M2- Dtype. 10.5* set to highest loft.

How does he like it? How far is he hitting it and what age is your boy? Thanks!

My boy is 11 but he can send his $40 US Kid driver out there pretty good. Kinda exciting to see what he could do with something better.

PS Were you able to hit different clubs? Around here (Iowa) I doubt he'll have the option.

My kid has been using Flynn shafts for some time now and they are awesome. So far, this has been the best set up yet. Flynn shaft paired with the M2- Dtype. 10.5* set to highest loft.

My boy is 11 but he can send his $40 US Kid driver out there pretty good. Kinda exciting to see what he could do with something better.

PS Were you able to hit different clubs? Around here (Iowa) I doubt he'll have the option.

He loves the M2 d type combo. He turned 7 a couple months ago and hits it 150-160 currently.

Used the VT Max driver for a long time, which was great. Very forgiving and launched the ball high, but not much roll. Also played the Epic for a few months, but that driver just lacked in the forgiveness department.

My son is left handed so options for us have always been limited. Fortunate my son could swing a piece of lumber and hit it well. Get a used driver online and let him try it out. At 11 he won't know the difference in manufacturing or what he likes or doesn't like. Cut it down and he will hit it at least 10 yards further than the US Kids. I bought my son a used Jetspeed at global golf for $40.00.

So he has the new driver--an M2 with a Flynn shaft. It's set almost to highest loft and here's what I'm seeing. First, a wider dispersement--the misses are bigger. Second, it IS longer. Third, the longest drives miss right. I'm guessing the swing weight may be high due to a little heavier head? I've been told to put some lead tape just below the grip to lower the swing weight? This a good idea or will it work itself out the way it is?

So he has the new driver--an M2 with a Flynn shaft. It's set almost to highest loft and here's what I'm seeing. First, a wider dispersement--the misses are bigger. Second, it IS longer. Third, the longest drives miss right. I'm guessing the swing weight may be high due to a little heavier head? I've been told to put some lead tape just below the grip to lower the swing weight? This a good idea or will it work itself out the way it is?

Not sure on the lead tape but in one of these threads I thought someone said to put it under the face.

I put my kid in the M2 today. Had it fitted with the mens's regular shaft that is high loft. Set it at 12.5 degrees. He was getting 206 carry and total driving average was 236. Busted several on the flight scope to 246. Best part was 2200 rpm and with the old driver was 3300 rpm. Amazing what another 10 yards can do to your game.

Just a comment. I built and mentioned in another thread of building my daughter an M2 with a Flynn Shaft. Looked good in the simulator and got some good distance numbers in the simulator. Not such great results outside this spring. Found it a bit long in length and possibly a bit heavy. Inconsistent contact probably due to it being a bit longer and heavier.

She is 8 years old about 53" tall and we have settled on a USKids 51 Tour Series Driver and 3 wood that came with a full used set I bought her and they are working out fantastic. Sound is great and she is controlling it much better due to proper length and weight. Her longest drive at DC an P was 127 yards in the North East at 8am so that is good for her.

I do notice some of the 9 year olds with GBB Epic and Cobra drivers and are hitting them significantly farther but I think that has to do with age and growth and their height. They seem to be longer in driver length as well.

Thought this might be helpful. Good luck!

Ping G400 Fujikura Pro 60
Ping G30 Fujikura Vista Pro 80
Adams Pro 18, 23 Diamana White 83
Callaway Razr X Tour R300
Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58

Bobby Grace V-Foil 6.4 by Macgregor

Just like adults, the M2 is not for everyone. It works great for my son, but another very good kid bought one after hitting ours and could not hit it a lick. He is telling me it feels different than my sons?? Anyhow, another great driver for kids is the XR-16. Very popular amongst the top kids we see.

The M1/M2 aren't for everyone. My son swings the M2. His numbers on the Flightscope were pretty phenomenal.

I am buying my daughter the Epic Sub Zero. Her numbers on the M1/M2 just couldn't beat the Sub Zero. She was getting just over 2000 rpm.

I think the XR16 is a pos. That is what my daughter currently swings.

Not sure on the lead tape but in one of these threads I thought someone said to put it under the face.

I put my kid in the M2 today. Had it fitted with the mens's regular shaft that is high loft. Set it at 12.5 degrees. He was getting 206 carry and total driving average was 236. Busted several on the flight scope to 246. Best part was 2200 rpm and with the old driver was 3300 rpm. Amazing what another 10 yards can do to your game.

What shaft is in it and what length did you make it?

Regular flex stock fukikara shaft at stock length. Don't have to cut down anything for him anymore.

Regular flex stock fukikara shaft at stock length. Don't have to cut down anything for him anymore.

That's a huge hurdle to get over. How tall is he now? My son is about 5'2"

That's a huge hurdle to get over. How tall is he now? My son is about 5'2"

He is 5'2" 130.

He would be better off having it cut down 2"-3". His miss is a block left/cut when he over swings and doesn't get the tow turned. It may happen 1 out of every 10 swings. It is honestly a non issue and that is why I haven't cut it. His coach even said to leave it alone.

So he's been in it a couple of weeks now and the misses have been reduced significantly. Guess he just needed to get used to it. It's a dramatic difference compared to the US Kids TS Driver. I actually dropped the loft by a degree from max. It's a 10-15 yard improvement on solid shots, but the misses are where I really see a difference. No more 125-140 yard "misses". Everything is over 150. Thanks to all in this site. I basically made this decision based off the input of people I've never met but sounded like they knew what they were talking about. Good job