Tiger and Phil, unique talents.

Greggap

I don't know if the chipping, pitching part was better, but Tiger always seemed made the putt after the pitch or chip. How many times over the years did we see Phil make a seemingly impossible play to three or four feet but then miss the putt

ย 

Yep, short game to me includes the little 3 footer after you hit a great shot. In their primes, I think they were equal on the flop shots and chipping...but TW pretty much never missed inside 5 feet. If Phil could make those 5 footers consistently, he would have a lot more than 5 majors to his credit at this point. He was very close to winning a number of them even with all the missed short putts on the greens.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if the chipping, pitching part was better, but Tiger always seemed made the putt after the pitch or chip. How many times over the years did we see Phil make a seemingly impossible play to three or four feet but then miss the putt

ย 

Yep, short game to me includes the little 3 footer after you hit a great shot. In their primes, I think they were equal on the flop shots and chipping...but TW pretty much never missed inside 5 feet. If Phil could make those 5 footers consistently, he would have a lot more than 5 majors to his credit at this point. He was very close to winning a number of them even with all the missed short putts on the greens.

ย 

I agree. When I think about Phil and what epitomizes his career (just to me), is the shot off the pine straw at 13 at Augusta. Spectacular shot, then miss the putt.

Really miss these guys, these new kids just don't compare. No one has had a short game like Mickelson and probably never will. That guy is unreal around the greens. I'm

not a Tiger fan at all, but I give the guy props for his mental approach, if he needed he make a putt he did, like no one else.

ย 

I just don't get excited about Dustin Johnson, Rory or Speith. Anyone else miss watching Golfers who could do things the other guys playing

could not do? I know someone is going to say Keopke did it yesterday, shooting -16 under when other's managed -12. Congrats to

him but take away the 60-80 yard wide fairways and he has no shot. Wasn't a fan of the course layout, announcers making a big

deal of the 25 inch rough that no one hit it in. Coverage was awful.

ย 

I might be a weirdo but I always thought that Tiger's short game was better than Phil's

It was.

ย 

ย 

In 2015-2016, Spieth's run, he won 7 times with 2 majors (13 months)

ย 

2015-2016, J Day's run, he won 7 times, 1 major, 1 players (10 months)

ย 

2016-2017, DJs run, he won 6 times with 1 major (12 months)

ย 

ย 

Those are 3 of the most dominating runs we have seen. 20 wins, 4 majors, over a 3 year-span. 3 guys.

ย 

1999-2001, Tiger's run (one of them), he won 22 times with 5 majors.

ย 

ย 

You can't make this stuff up ; )

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Those are 8 of the most dominating runs we have seen. 20 wins, 4 majors, over a 3 year-span. 3 guys.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

You might as well include Rory's 2014 and Tiger's 2002 to drive the point home even further.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Those are 8 of the most dominating runs we have seen. 20 wins, 4 majors, over a 3 year-span. 3 guys.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

You might as well include Rory's 2014 and Tiger's 2002 to drive the point home even further.

ย 

ย 

Ahhh, ok

ย 

2014-2015, Rory's run, 5 wins, 2 majors, (11 months)

ย 

ย 

So, with Spieth, Day, DJ, and Rory, we have 25 wins and 6 majors over a 4 year span.

ย 

1999-2002, Tiger's run, 27 wins and 6 majors.

ย 

ย 

That's brutal.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Ahhh, ok

ย 

ย 

ย 

So, with Spieth, Day, DJ, and Rory, we have 25 wins and 6 majors over a 4 year span.

ย 

ย 

ย 

That's brutal.

ย 

7 majors for Woods in that time.

ย 

Ahhh, ok

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

That's brutal.

ย 

When you put it in terms like that, that's not likely to be matched by anyone, anytime soon. Total dominance.

DRIVER:ย  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:ย  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:ย  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:ย  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:ย  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grindย 

PUTTER:ย  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:ย  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:ย  Testing

A man has to have options!

ย 

I might be a weirdo but I always thought that Tiger's short game was better than Phil's.

ย 

I disagree. Tiger's short game was always on and off. He went through periods where it was awesome, but Phil at his best was also jaw-dropping. The difference between the two is Phil's consistency. His short game has always been a strength, and remains so even at 47.

ย 

*EDIT*

ย 

After reading some of the other posts, let me say this: I consider a player's "short game" to be strictly of the chipping, pitching, lobbing, flopping and punching variety. Putting is its own unique category.

I might be a weirdo but I always thought that Tiger's short game was better than Phil's.

ย 

I disagree. Tiger's short game was always on and off. He went through periods where it was awesome, but Phil at his best was also jaw-dropping. The difference between the two is Phil's consistency. His short game has always been a strength, and remains so even at 47.

ย 

*EDIT*

ย 

After reading some of the other posts, let me say this: I consider a player's "short game" to be strictly of the chipping, pitching, lobbing, flopping and punching variety. Putting is its own unique category.

ย 

You dare to question Tiger's skills?! This is insanity. I feel like kicking you down a never-ending well ala King Leonidas in 300.

ย 

Truth be told, when Tiger was the man I was like 12 so I probably don't remember much of his inconstancies. The guy was my hero, he could do no wrong.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

People don't realize just how dominant Tiger was until he was gone from the game. Every year, it seems like they're trying to pump someone up as the next big thing but their high level of success just couldn't be sustained. Two years ago, it was Rory. Last year, it was Speith. None has done much after a dominant season. A win here and there but there were times they missed the cut. Back when Tiger was setting the golf world on fire, a bad round meant he won a tournament by 3 strokes instead of 10. Tiger probably won't surpass Nicklaus, but what Tiger did was just as special.

ย 

rory won 4 times the year after his summer run, and 3 last year ... a fedex and a couple of wgc events ... that's a decent level of success ... it is not tiger success, but that level of success is not the norm ...

announcers making a big

deal of the 25 inch rough that no one hit it in.

ย 

Did you even watch? Lots of players hit into the 25 inch rough. Harmon hit into it on the back nine Sunday which led to a bogey and him dropping out of the lead. Paul Casey whiffed trying to get out of it. McIlroy, Johnson, Rahm and Day were in it lots of times and that's why they missed the cut.

Tiger was a better putter from inside 10 feet, and executed the simple pitches with greater consistency. Phil had a willingness to try extremely difficult short game shots that you won't see again for decades. Even more amazing is how often he pulled it off, because he probably has the best pair of hands the game has ever seen.

ย 

Most club champions have better full swings and putting strokes than Phil, but his hands are the great equalizer.

Ahhh, ok

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

That's brutal.

ย 

When you put it in terms like that, that's not likely to be matched by anyone, anytime soon. Total dominance.

ย 

His 2005-2008 run that ended at Torrey Pines wasn't bad either...

ย 

25 wins and 6 majors

ย 

ย 

ย 

You have to go all the way back to Tom Watson's 1977-80 run to get 20 plus wins, at least 3 majors and a money title and Player of the Year every year.

Tiger and Phil also had something sorely lacking from most of today's top players... charisma. Seve, Jack, Arnie, Hogan... they had it also. Koepka may as well have been a cyborg manufactured in a lab, for all the personality he showed. Most of the others are the same.

ย 

?? ... hogan was the quintessential cyborg ... he was as introverted as they get ... jack was hated by the public for many years before being accepted ...

Tiger and Phil also had something sorely lacking from most of today's top players... charisma. Seve, Jack, Arnie, Hogan... they had it also. Koepka may as well have been a cyborg manufactured in a lab, for all the personality he showed. Most of the others are the same.

ย 

?? ... hogan was the quintessential cyborg ... he was as introverted as they get ... jack was hated by the public for many years before being accepted ...

ย 

Nostalgia makes everyone more interesting. Think the players at the top of the game are pretty engaging. Again come back on 20 years and whoever is leading people will say 'these guys aren't as charismatic as Day, McIlroy etc'.

ย 

Look at someone like David Duval even, or Colin Montgomerie that weren't the most popular players at the peak but I would say are generally more liked by the public now.

I think the difference is that in today's game, you have 20+ golfers that on any given weekend can dominate a tournament....

ย 

But what we don't see in today's game is someone dominating a season. Is it really even possible anymore?

ย 

We only have 20 plus golfers who can dominate, because there isn't someone on that top tier, to knock them down. If you took Tiger out of all his majors, the majors get dispersed to all those who came 2nd in the majors, which would give us something similar to what we have had over the last 3-4 years.

ย 

ย 

Absolutely it's possible. The PGA tour lacks a stud, 10 out of 10 greatest of all time (at the moment). We saw one in Tiger and saw one in Jack. We will see one again, but we don't get to see them every season or every decade, sometimes it's longer.

To put dominance into prospective the top 3 in the world entering the US Open last week was DJ, Rory, and Day. DJ and Rory turned pro in 2007 (10yrs) and Day turned pro in 2006 (11yrs). Here are there PGA Tour win totals and total number of Major wins during that time frame. This does not count any wins other than the PGA Tour events and majors.

ย 

DJ 15 wins, 1 major

Rory 13 wins, 4 majors

Day 10 wins, 1 major

ย 

Spieth has been on tour since 2012, about half as long as the other three and has 9 wins and 2 majors.

ย 

Mickelson had 14 wins, 0 majors in his first 10yrs on tour.

ย 

Tiger in his first 10 seasons on the PGA Tour had 46 wins and 10 majors! More wins and more majors than DJ, Rory, and Day combined!

SiM 2 10.5* GD Tour iZ 6s

TSR2 15* Tensei Blue

TSR2 18* Hybrid Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Mizuno JPX 921F 4-P Pro Modus 105

Titleist SM9 Black 50, 54 & 58

Odyssey Protype iX #1 or TM Spider Hydro Blast slant neck

been watching tiger us open highlights...... should be required before posting in the tour forum.... i think many either never saw him play or have forgotten.... we will likely never see a dominant player like him again...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7xย 

TM Sim2 max tour ย 16* GD ย ADHD 8xย 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5Tย 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70ย 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125txย 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlockย 

ย 

ย 

Disagree... charisma does not require being flashy or loud. Or loved by the public. Hogan had charisma, so did Jack... loved or not.

ย 

Of course nostalgia probably colors things somewhat, but the point stands that the most popular 2 golfers today, by far, are ranked #24 and #945 on the OWGR, and are both well into their 40s. Phil and Tiger have that certain something (charisma or whatever you want to call it that draws fans to them), that none of today's top players seem to have. The PGA tour is made up of some very skilled, very long-hitting, very boring individuals atm. The ratings show it, without Phil or Tiger playing there is no one to watch but the golfwrx-type fanatics who watch everything.

been watching tiger us open highlights...... should be required before posting in the tour forum.... i think many either never saw him play or have forgotten.... we will likely never see a dominant player like him again...

ย 

Well said!!! I cannot remember how many times he had an impossible shot when the tournament was on the line and he would pull it off or hole. We don't see that today and I admit I'm spoiled...

Every so often I watch a Tiger highlight video on you tube and am reminded how far golf has fallen. There are a ton of good players but Tiger was the greatest. No Sunday lead was safe with him and he had the ability to hunt down the leaders on Sunday. It is true that Tiger spoiled golf for many of us !

ย 

Actually - I'm an old guy now. And IMO, the best that has ever hit a ball was Ben Hogan. Got to see him play in the first tourney my Dad took me to. And a couple more. Still remember the sound of him hitting an iron to this day. Have never heard anything quite like it (and I've seen Jack, and Arnie, and Tom Watson, and Phil and Tiger play). Even Tiger said that Ben (and Mo) were the only ones that ever fully "owned" their swings.

ย 

Hogan was known for obsessive practice, and meticulous planning. Best quote I ever heard from him (to paraphrase)? He was getting ready for a tourney, and someone asked him why he didn't have a 7 iron in his bag. His answer? "There's no 7 iron shots on the course".

ย 

Don't get me wrong - I've loved watching Phil and Tiger. But Ben Hogan is the best golfer I've ever seen.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ย Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ย Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ย Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miuraย Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ย KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ย KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

Ahhh, ok

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

That's brutal.

ย 

ย 

His 2005-2008 run that ended at Torrey Pines wasn't bad either...

ย 

25 wins and 6 majors

ย 

ย 

ย 

You have to go all the way back to Tom Watson's 1977-80 run to get 20 plus wins, at least 3 majors and a money title and Player of the Year every year.

ย 

Yeah... he was just as dominant both times. Sickening how good he was.