MEMBER REVIEWS: Aldila X-Torsion Copper Shafts.

HipCheck

How does the copper compare to the other 2 colors (black and green?)?

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi 1k Black 65 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
TaylorMade Soto Long Neck

Pro V1

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what we have seen and the way the shafts are designed, the XTORSION Black will be the lowest launching, lowest spinning and most stable of the three, the XTORSION Green will be more Mid/Low Launching, and Mid/Low Spinning, and the XTORSION Copper will perform similarly to the XTORSION Green, but with a higher balance point.

Hopefully this helps.

From what we have seen and the way the shafts are designed, the XTORSION Black will be the lowest launching, lowest spinning and most stable of the three, the XTORSION Green will be more Mid/Low Launching, and Mid/Low Spinning, and the XTORSION Copper will perform similarly to the XTORSION Green, but with a higher balance point.

Hopefully this helps.

Can you go into what the higher balance point does in relation to the swing?

Why would someone choose the Green over the Copper and vice versa..

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

The Photo and GIFs and track man data are great! Thank you misplacedtexan83 your water bottle is on its way! If you have more please keep posting.

ryanandrew_golf, gioguy21, pdaero, and CallawayLefty we can't wait to see what kinds of pictures and data you have to post.

Thanks aldila. It's a little easier to get time to test when the kiddo/wife leave for the weekend ;).

Although we are sure everyone enjoys spending time with their loved ones, we doubt you will find a person here who will complain about getting a little extra time out on the golf.

So true...

Today was my 2 v 2 scramble match. We ended up winning our match on my 20 footer for birdie on #18. I didn't putt with the driver but hit an absolute bullet into the wind with the Xtorison..It just cut through the wind and put me 223 out on a 507 par 5. Typically Im only near there little hill in the middle of the fairway on normal days but today I was there into the wind...WOW. I swear I have picked up some yards with the Xtorison Copper. The numbers show it and on the course shows.

It really does just perform on every swing.. I still miss like anyone but the misses aren't as severe as my other shafts. Im enjoying this feeling... still lacking the feeling of the head but I can look past that with what Im seeing.

If you have a need for a 3 wood tester... let me know :telephone:

protos F4

I wish I had gotten more time to do this comparison on Foresight GC2. I wanted to throw in a RIP Alpha 60X that I have as well as comparing it straight up to my rogue silver 60...

As you can see the Xtorsion Copper does launch slightly higher for me with slightly less spin than that rogue resulting in more carry distance but on marginally. The ball speed is lower for some reason or it would be a larger margin. It's also still very straight (for me ?)

The Rogue is in white and the XTorsion is in orange(Copper).

Great numbers ryan!

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Sorry boys/girls Im late to the party (work then golfing) but I did write my stuff up and take pics last night!

Here we go...

Like most of us WRXers, I have always read these test thread with curiosity and some jealousy. Surprise, surprise to me, when I saw the PM for the famous HIpcheck. So, I wanted to give a big shout out/thanks to GolfWRX and Aldila for the opportunity to test and review the XTorison Copper shaft with MAMBA technology.

About me

I'm just turned 34 last week and I’m sitting at a 7.3 handicap at this moment but typically hover around 8-9 (Shot par for the first time my last round—helps the handicap :) Typically, I’m above average driver that usually plays a little draw but fights the big hook when I get too quick. More times than not it is driver all day on any holes that don’t end in a 3.

I was in searched during the offseason and beginning for good head/shaft combo. Callaway solved the head issue with the release of the Epic, which I chose the Epic SZ 9.0 (N/S). Now the shaft is a different story. I order the driver at 44.75 w/HZDRUS Green 55 S. That experiment ended quickly then cut down my Oban Hashimoto 65S to 44.5 and that failed as well. So, went back to the search which included: Fuji Pro, HZDRUS 65S, HZDRUS 65R, and Rogue Max 65S. I was chasing the dragon and my swing. Finally, went to see my fitter buddy and he smack some sense into me and settled on the HZDRUS Green 55S after some tweaking with hand position. Who would of thought a lighter shaft (55) than my normal 60-70 range would be the ticket. I have a hard transition/ half c0ck swing (Kutcher but worse of course) averaging around 100-105, not me. However, I wanted to see if I could improve on it (true WRXer) bought the HZDRUS yellow for too see if it brings anything more to the table. Jury is still out since I got it Monday.

Initial impressions

First, I wanted to talk about how great Aldila was with shipping. Sent the pm back to Hipcheck with my pertinent information and I had a notification of the shipping hours later and next day arrival, now that’s service!

I opened the box to find a shaft, a thank you letter, a hat, and a t-shirt. The first thing I noticed about the shaft was the copper sheen then the artificial scales—it really feels like scales throughout the shaft when you run your hands down it. To be honest, the XTorsion logo rotating around the entire shaft is too busy for me even with getting the shaft installed logo down. Now that doesn’t mean I want enjoy or the shaft wont perform but for some, it could be a distraction. I’ll adjust because who stares at the shaft anyways ;)? Also, the snake scale/carbon fiber look is killer. I will say for anyone looking at the new PING G400 this shaft will blend perfectly with the copper ascents ;) I didn’t even notice until I took it outside but Aldila had our personal names engraved into the shaft—AWESOME!

Geek up to play around with this shaft and hope I do Aldila and WRX justice!

Set up

The XTorsion is set up to play 45.5 with a MCC Plus 4. Like most people know, the Callaway Dual Cog lets whatever position to not impact the grip but it will stay at N/S for the first test. Both HZDRUS are set up for 45.5 and the same for the cog settings. I will have 3 SZ 9.0 heads, so I can just swing away without having to change heads, which brings some variables to the test but I trust the OEM of Callaway.

Testing

So, I’m confident I will be able to give some honest feedback to how the shaft performs since I have gone through many in a short period of time. In order to test this shaft to the fullest I will use trackman data to compare the XTorison vs. HZDRUS Green/HZDRUS yellow, on the course comparisons (I have access to multiple heads) and I’m going to get my fitting buddy thoughts/trackman results (playing the same head and shaft). A brand-new head will be used for the XTorsion and if numbers seem way off, I will just use one head. I will use a K-Sigs on the course for the testing and depending if Trackman is set up inside or outside, will determine what balls are will be use: premium or range.

Now for the good stuff...

Great review and great looking shaft!

Hopefully this helps.

Aldila - sent you a PM; i played in very substantial wind yesterday and noticed that the copper had a bit of trouble at times holding it's line in the wind - specifically into. i saw on flightscope my spin #'s were great, but could come down a bit more.

is the black going to be less spinning, by say, 500+ or so RPMs?

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Thanks Aldila golf...

Perfect for the gym and the course

d25fd6a693cec7ca278eee6f13344df8.jpg

protos F4

Thanks Aldila golf...

i'm waiting on mine...hoping it comes shortly --- looks AWESOME.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Hopefully this helps.

The higher balance point allows golfers to add more weight to the club head in a traditional length driver and maintain the same swing weight, or to play a longer driver while maintaining the same swing weight. Both of these option should help the golfer pick up a few extra yards.

If a golfer were used to the feel of a traditional length and weight driver they would probably be a better fit into the Green, but if they wanted to play a club that was longer or wanted a heavier club head and overall club they would probably be a better fit for the Copper.

Hopefully this helps.

Aldila - sent you a PM; i played in very substantial wind yesterday and noticed that the copper had a bit of trouble at times holding it's line in the wind - specifically into. i saw on flightscope my spin #'s were great, but could come down a bit more.

Thank you for the message and thank you for also posting your question here, we are sure there are others out there who are wondering the same thing. Between the Black and the Copper we would expect the Black to launch lower and spin less. Will it drop as drastically as 500 rpms? Probably not, but then it really depends on how the shaft would fit you and your club.

Since it never hurts to ask and you were the first to ask to test between the Black and the Copper, we would like to offer your the chance to be our one and only tester of the Black against the Copper. If you will make sure you give us lots of launch monitor data, pictures and an in depth review we will have an XTORSION Black sent to you.

Hopefully this helps.

Thank you for the message and thank you for also posting your question here, we are sure there are others out there who are wondering the same thing. Between the Black and the Copper we would expect the Black to launch lower and spin less. Will it drop as drastically as 500 rpms? Probably not, but then it really depends on how the shaft would fit you and your club.

Since it never hurts to ask and you were the first to ask to test between the Black and the Copper, we would like to offer your the chance to be our one and only tester of the Black against the Copper. If you will make sure you give us lots of launch monitor data, pictures and an in depth review we will have an XTORSION Black sent to you.

...my jaw just hit the floor. speechless

I'll do the best darn review of the two of them that i can humanly possibly do.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Hopefully this helps.

The higher balance point allows golfers to add more weight to the club head in a traditional length driver and maintain the same swing weight, or to play a longer driver while maintaining the same swing weight. Both of these option should help the golfer pick up a few extra yards.

If a golfer were used to the feel of a traditional length and weight driver they would probably be a better fit into the Green, but if they wanted to play a club that was longer or wanted a heavier club head and overall club they would probably be a better fit for the Copper.

Thanks for the for the response.

So in theory I could slap some more weight on the head and it won't impact the shaft?

I'm always been a traditional length guy or a little longer in the drive. This year I went with stock length (45.5) for the SZ for some consistency.

I don't know how the green feels or reacts but I can't feel the head with the Copper. Would if be the same with the green or different because the lack of the high balance in the green?

However, if my above is correct then I can add some weight to the head to try and get some of that feeling back.

protos F4

The xtorsion in my driver was the highlight of my qualifying round today for the NJ state open. I missed just 3 fairways, but each miss was within 5y of the fairway. Loving the exceptional feel, and the even better consistency.

...if only aldila could make me a better putter.

Missed the cut, but I havent been this confident off the tee in a very long time.

I got a few remarks on it while on the range - few wondering what it was, but all loved the colors of it in the sunlight.

Fantastic job Aldila - spot on.

That's one huge thing that I have to say about this thing.. If I miss a fairway, it isn't by much on anything I would consider a decent swing. Even most of the awful swings find the fairway, albeit they're awful swings so the result won't be great.

The xtorsion in my driver was the highlight of my qualifying round today for the NJ state open. I missed just 3 fairways, but each miss was within 5y of the fairway. Loving the exceptional feel, and the even better consistency.

Missed the cut, but I havent been this confident off the tee in a very long time.

I got a few remarks on it while on the range - few wondering what it was, but all loved the colors of it in the sunlight.

That's one huge thing that I have to say about this thing.. If I miss a fairway, it isn't by much on anything I would consider a decent swing. Even most of the awful swings find the fairway, albeit they're awful swings so the result won't be great.

Its amazing in that regard. It means the difference between having an off day off the tee and having potentially penalties to hitting more greens more often.

I wanted to ask Aldila -

In the design of this shaft specifically, what materials or tech did u put in this to make it so consistent or reliable? It's quite incredible to have great feel, amazing stability, and consistent shot making built in, even on not-so-good swings

*edit* -- If it's the MAMBA tech -- i think you guys hit it out of the da*n park -- it's unlike anything i've hit in a long time. the only thing i've felt that keeps up with it is the T1100, speeder 7.2TS, or tensei white in regards to stability -- but with the feel those shafts don't have.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Its amazing in that regard. It means the difference between having an off day off the tee and having potentially penalties to hitting more greens more often.

I wanted to ask Aldila -

In the design of this shaft specifically, what materials or tech did u put in this to make it so consistent or reliable? It's quite incredible to have great feel, amazing stability, and consistent shot making built in, even on not-so-good swings

*edit* -- If it's the MAMBA tech -- i think you guys hit it out of the da*n park -- it's unlike anything i've hit in a long time. the only thing i've felt that keeps up with it is the T1100, speeder 7.2TS, or tensei white in regards to stability -- but with the feel those shafts don't have.

Spot on..

The biggest description I've given this thing, and the biggest question I've been left with, is exactly that. It's as stable as the stoutest shafts I've ever hit. Torque (people argue it all the time as a less tangible spec in a shaft, but whatever) is not my friend. The shafts I've gotten along with in the past are the black ties, the real 757x (2.7 torque I think?), HZRDUS black, T1100, etc. I've been left with shafts with less feel, and that haven't always been a great fit for my game, since I don't swing 120 mph. I'm comfortably fit into X-stiff, but for whatever reason, those other shafts have been the best fit, and they're not that enjoyable to swing.

Enter the Mamba. As stable as those rebar shafts but it launches nice, with low spin, and feels great!

I know torque is an easy way to add feel to a shaft, so maybe someone finally took the time to figure out how to make a shaft perform well, feel smooth, and be stable! It's a Christmas Miracle! Haha honestly, this shaft makes me think of my X7's in my irons. Performs like a super stout shaft, but feels much better than its weaker counter parts. Whatever it is, it's good.

Tempercraft ftw!!71701f87c4cc57ba8930c530292489df.jpg072dbef80f1e7b7b448c7ae94ff0c8da.jpg

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Yesterday I hit one of the best drives of my life... it was on a hole at my club that is 477 from the back tee. It's a dogleg left with a hazard to the right and yesterday the wind was blowing pretty good dead left to right. Not an easy shot for me. It's usually a guaranteed huge block that rides the wind into the hazard or a snap hook left but I handled it with no problem yesterday and hit the tightest little draw that held in the crosswind. And it went deep too, I only had 138 left for my second.

And that's what I love about this shaft. As long as I keep turning I feel like I can hit as hard as I want with my right hand and it still won't hook.

Aldila, could you chime in and tell us how you built this shaft to be so stable yet still launch the ball high and flat? I'm surprised every time I hit because I feel like it's going to be low because it feels so stiff in the hands

Hopefully this helps.

This is so cool of Aldila and what a lucky guy getting to try both of these shafts! Still blows my mind the opportunities you can get on Golfwrx from the different sponsors and manufacturers!

[color=#A9A9A9][b]Driver:[/b] 2016 TM M1 9.5* / Atmos Black 7 TX
[b]Fairway:[/b] 2017 TM M1 15* / Tensei Pro White 80 TX
[b]Irons:[/b] TM 790 UDI 2 Iron / HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist T-MB 4 Iron / TT Dynamic Gold X-100
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2's 5-PW / TT Dynamic Gold X-100
[b]Wedge:s[/b] Vokey SM6 50.08F, [color=#A9A9A9]56.10S & [color=#A9A9A9]60.08M[/color] [/color] / TT Dynamic Gold S-300
[b]Putter:[/b] TM Spider Tour Black T-Line 34"[/color]

Thanks Aldila golf...

i'm waiting on mine...hoping it comes shortly --- looks AWESOME.

Man! I hope I get mine soon - absolutely love this shaft and the color.

I've received a number of comments on it, and it looks so sharp with the black grip and clubhead. I played yesterday for my second time using it, and even though I had a tough/inconsistent day swinging I hit some amazing drives with this thing. The first was a beautiful 300-305 yard drive on a slight dogleg left 445 par 4, the second was a drive straight into the wind (20 MPH) that went 260, and the last was a drive downwind that almost went 320. I can't speak enough about this shaft and how it feels and performs. So stable, but smooth, and very tight dispersion. I don't feel like I can get jumpy with it, but when I focus on being smooth and then firing down, I'm provided with more consistent distance than any other shaft I've used in my same clubhead (915D2). It's singlehandedly prevented me from thinking about getting a new driver!

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD DS72 34.5"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

Any of the other testers thinking what I have been thinking? That this would make a killer 3 wood shaft?

protos F4

Any of the other testers thinking what I have been thinking? That this would make a killer 3 wood shaft?

Read. My. Mind.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I wanted to ask Aldila -

Spot on..

The biggest description I've given this thing, and the biggest question I've been left with, is exactly that. It's as stable as the stoutest shafts I've ever hit. Torque (people argue it all the time as a less tangible spec in a shaft, but whatever) is not my friend. The shafts I've gotten along with in the past are the black ties, the real 757x (2.7 torque I think?), HZRDUS black, T1100, etc. I've been left with shafts with less feel, and that haven't always been a great fit for my game, since I don't swing 120 mph. I'm comfortably fit into X-stiff, but for whatever reason, those other shafts have been the best fit, and they're not that enjoyable to swing.

Enter the Mamba. As stable as those rebar shafts but it launches nice, with low spin, and feels great!

I know torque is an easy way to add feel to a shaft, so maybe someone finally took the time to figure out how to make a shaft perform well, feel smooth, and be stable! It's a Christmas Miracle! Haha honestly, this shaft makes me think of my X7's in my irons. Performs like a super stout shaft, but feels much better than its weaker counter parts. Whatever it is, it's good.

Hopefully this answers your questions. The Xtorsion Copper utilizes a lot of great materials, including the “MAMBA” (Multi-Axial Material Bias Angle) material that helps to reduce torque and lower spin. Without getting into too much detail about the specific materials, our engineers and Tour team worked closely together to fine tune the shafts bend profile and torque, adjusting the materials, and their placement to create a shaft that provided stability without sacrificing feel. It took a lot of testing and a lot of tweaks, but we like to think we found the right combination and construction.

Yup. Another round today after work getting ready for a tourney round this saturday - driver was the best club in the bag. First hole is 335 with a false front...I launched it off the tee and flew it into the greenside bunker. Second hole.I hit a towering draw to help get home in two and setup a 2 putt birdie. I could keep going but all same results. High draws, low piercing cuts, straight bombs...count on it, it will do what u want.

Just awe struck at how simple it is making my decisions off the tee. Cannot wait for the black - I think with a touch less spin I might never stop smiling.

Please, ask questions guys - we will answer any you guys might have!

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Hands down one of the coolest looking shafts I've seen. Gotta go back and read the reviews now :)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745