Stoatin Brae: Augusta, MI

kalamazoo

I played Stoatin Brae today and was blown away. Yes the course needs to grow in, cart paths are still being formed, but when it does I feel this will be a top 5 Michigan course. When I took my cart around up to the first hole, I pretty much was in awe. I have not played anything huge up north, but I like Stoatin Brae better than Tullymore, Eagle Eye, and Angels Crossing, all top 25 courses. The greens are all ready in perfect condition in my opinion. Par 3's are so much fun, and nothing really bothered me that wasn't fully matured yet. I even saw a baby coyote on a green. Sweet halfway snack shop built right into ground called Bunkers. There is also a cooler and a ball washer attached to carts. Here's a couple pics that don't do justice. My pics are too big for so.e reason ?

• 2 weeks later...

Played this course again today in the wind from the tips...totally different experience. The first few times I played it there was barely any wind, but today it was gusting hard and made the course a lot more challenging.

I learned today that they aren't planning on finishing the cart paths. They might pave Hole 1 and 2, but that's it. Kinda disappointed to hear that the course is basically in it's finally form. It's still really rough out there. I had to take a couple drops in the middle of the fairway due to washed out areas. Doesn't seem like the course drains well in certain places. Many of the fairways are lacking grass, hopefully it grows in soon.

The greens are what saves the course. They are great and quite challenging. I've said it before, but I'm still surprised they didn't make this course longer. Seems a little short to attract serious tournament play.

Played this course again today in the wind from the tips...totally different experience. The first few times I played it there was barely any wind, but today it was gusting hard and made the course a lot more challenging.

I learned today that they aren't planning on finishing the cart paths. They might pave Hole 1 and 2, but that's it. Kinda disappointed to hear that the course is basically in it's finally form. It's still really rough out there. I had to take a couple drops in the middle of the fairway due to washed out areas. Doesn't seem like the course drains well in certain places. Many of the fairways are lacking grass, hopefully it grows in soon.

The greens are what saves the course. They are great and quite challenging. I've said it before, but I'm still surprised they didn't make this course longer. Seems a little short to attract serious tournament play.

It is a resort course, why would they want tournament play?

It is a resort course, why would they want tournament play?

You tell me...Bedford Valley is part of their resort and hosted tons of tournaments, including the Michigan Open. Stonehedge gets regular collegiate play as well. Kinda seems like they enjoy being a resort that's occasionally hosts tournaments, doesn't it?

Suppose to play Stoatin Brae next Thursday on our way home from a northern Michigan golf trip. Your comment on fairways needing grass concerns me. Wonder if it makes more sense to play Pilgrims Run or something else on the drive home?

Suppose to play Stoatin Brae next Thursday on our way home from a northern Michigan golf trip. Your comment on fairways needing grass concerns me. Wonder if it makes more sense to play Pilgrims Run or something else on the drive home?

Don't want to give you the wrong impression, the fairways definitely have grass...there are just some holes that are in worse shape than others, where the dirt-to-grass ratio is questionable. You can definitely play the golf course. Wasn't trying to scare anyone away, the course is a great new addition to the area...I was just surprised how rough it is considering they are charging $100 a round.

Great thread!

I played Stoatin Brae during their 12 hole opening last year and really enjoyed it, sure it was a little rough around the edges but you could see what they were trying to do. Looking forward to going out there sometime soon and playing all 18

As for Thornapple, yes they have been sold. The name I keep hearing from various people around the area is that Kevin Van Dam (sp) the famous fisherman bought the property. After the season is done he plans of building some houses around where the 16th hole is and letting the course just go, I mean just letting it all grow naturally from there.

I liked the course and it will be very sad for the area to lose it but I can understand what was all involved in this decision. No doubt I'll make it a point to get out there a couple of more times this year just to soak in.

Yes the Drug running stories are true about the course and how it came to be. My Aunt's brother was one of the guys heavily wrapped up in that whole ordeal and was in the big federal indictment that came out of it. The local story is, they had the best conditioned course in the area because the grounds crew worked 24 hours a day : P lol

Great thread!

I played Stoatin Brae during their 12 hole opening last year and really enjoyed it, sure it was a little rough around the edges but you could see what they were trying to do. Looking forward to going out there sometime soon and playing all 18

As for Thornapple, yes they have been sold. The name I keep hearing from various people around the area is that Kevin Van Dam (sp) the famous fisherman bought the property. After the season is done he plans of building some houses around where the 16th hole is and letting the course just go, I mean just letting it all grow naturally from there.

I liked the course and it will be very sad for the area to lose it but I can understand what was all involved in this decision. No doubt I'll make it a point to get out there a couple of more times this year just to soak in.

Yes the Drug running stories are true about the course and how it came to be. My Aunt's brother was one of the guys heavily wrapped up in that whole ordeal and was in the big federal indictment that came out of it. The local story is, they had the best conditioned course in the area because the grounds crew worked 24 hours a day : P lol

I believe it's the VanDam from VanDam & Krusinga purchasing Thornapple, not Kevin VanDam. I could be mistaken.

Great thread!

I believe it's the VanDam from VanDam & Krusinga purchasing Thornapple, not Kevin VanDam. I could be mistaken.

Hey Bro,

I thought the same thing too about VanDam and Krusinga but I keep hearing the thing about the fish guy : P from various people over and over, guess he owns several of the properties around and bordering it already. So this was a natural fit as you could say.

Looking to play over 4th of July vacation with a buddy, anyone else want to play with us? Probably a Monday mid morning round

2023 bag

myTaylormade Stealth 2 Plus custom 10.5 BGT Brava X Stiff tipped 1”
Taylormade Stealth 2 Tour issue 17.8 deg 5 wood Brava X Stiff FW
Titleist TSR3 4hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Titleist TSR3 5hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Miura CB-302 5,6,7 Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura MC502 8,9,pw Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura HB 50 deg S400 tour issue

Miura K2.0 54/58 S400 tour Taylormade Spider GT 33.5” short slant

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Looking to play over 4th of July vacation with a buddy, anyone else want to play with us? Probably a Monday mid morning round

We will be up north or else I would join.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

One day we will get together. Got two open spots at 9:50 am on Monday July 3rd $76 a man.

2023 bag

Bridgestone Tour B RX

One day we will get together. Got two open spots at 9:50 am on Monday July 3rd $76 a man.

Maaaay take one of those spots. I'll PM you soon if I can.

Maaaay take one of those spots. I'll PM you soon if I can.

I just booked two at that time from their website. Feel free to book on that same time.

2023 bag

Bridgestone Tour B RX

I played Stoatin Brae yesterday, so I thought I would provide my thoughts.

I had the chance to play the 12 hole preview last year in the fall and I was excited about the course. It felt different and the holes that I played (1-3 and 10 -18) felt varied and had some really good Par 3s. At the same time, when I first played it, there was something about the course that bothered me, but I wasn't sure how to describe it. After playing it yesterday and seeing how the course has changed, I have a pretty strong opinion on Stoatin Brae.

I can put aside the lack of driving range and putting green and the fact the cart paths are complete crap at this point. I can even put aside a few areas of no/patchy grass. But there is a much bigger issue with the course in my opinion and it can be summed up in one word: "schizophrenic"

The course designers and owners are not really sure what they want this course to be. They have set it up to look and feel like a Links style course - first and fast. But the subtle nature of the course designs do not allow for it to be played that way.

You start on a short Par 4 where you can't see the green as it is down the hill. I hit a nice drive 30 yards off the front of the green. I approached my second shot like a Links style course and landed the ball 10 yard short and it bounded on and rolled 10 feet away. That is the way the course should play. However, that style of play is only available on a couple holes.

One the second hole, a long par 3, I again tried to land a 5 iron just short and let it roll on. It landed short and landed soft and stayed in the fringe. My playing partner's ball hit the front of the green and went all the way to the back. When I got up to my ball, I saw why my ball had stayed short. The grass in front of the greens is green, lush and long and the ground is soft - most likely due to water runoff from the green. Then I started to see this on every hole - because most of the greens at SB are either slightly built up from the fairway or has significantly elevated approaches. This creates water run off that keeps the front of the greens soft and lush and the actual greens firm. On down-wind shots on some holes, you have very little chance to hit a green - Hit it short and it stays short. Hit it on the green and it's over.

The overall design of the course offers solid par 3s, a couple fun short par 4s, one beast of a par 4. The par 5s are lackluster which is especially disappointing considering you end with Par 5s on 16 and 18. There is no signature hole that stands out in my mind.

Overall condition of the course still remains rough except for the greens,

I know GLV wanted to create a destination course. They gave it a good shot, but I won't be spending $100 to play there unless they can figure out how to condition the course to make it playable. I might spend $50 or $60.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

It amazes me to no end how many people are desperate to put out a "links-style" course, yet never give any thought to that most basic of links golf attributes, which is playing along the ground.

First off, I haven't played Stoatin Brae yet so take this with a grain of salt. I think Tom Doak knows how to design a links course so I think that either the superintendent is messing up or there are other reasons to the way it is playing right now. Maybe they are overwatering the greens and fairways because they are new and want them to grow in before they try to firm things up.

I agree with the above statement, even if Tom's associates at Renaissance Design designed the course.

Hopefully, it will get sorted out.

Did you ask the people at the course about it?

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Maybe they are overwatering the greens and fairways because they are new and want them to grow in before they try to firm things up.

That is my hope.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

I played Stoatin Brae yesterday, so I thought I would provide my thoughts.

I had the chance to play the 12 hole preview last year in the fall and I was excited about the course. It felt different and the holes that I played (1-3 and 10 -18) felt varied and had some really good Par 3s. At the same time, when I first played it, there was something about the course that bothered me, but I wasn't sure how to describe it. After playing it yesterday and seeing how the course has changed, I have a pretty strong opinion on Stoatin Brae.

I can put aside the lack of driving range and putting green and the fact the cart paths are complete crap at this point. I can even put aside a few areas of no/patchy grass. But there is a much bigger issue with the course in my opinion and it can be summed up in one word: "schizophrenic"

The course designers and owners are not really sure what they want this course to be. They have set it up to look and feel like a Links style course - first and fast. But the subtle nature of the course designs do not allow for it to be played that way.

You start on a short Par 4 where you can't see the green as it is down the hill. I hit a nice drive 30 yards off the front of the green. I approached my second shot like a Links style course and landed the ball 10 yard short and it bounded on and rolled 10 feet away. That is the way the course should play. However, that style of play is only available on a couple holes.

One the second hole, a long par 3, I again tried to land a 5 iron just short and let it roll on. It landed short and landed soft and stayed in the fringe. My playing partner's ball hit the front of the green and went all the way to the back. When I got up to my ball, I saw why my ball had stayed short. The grass in front of the greens is green, lush and long and the ground is soft - most likely due to water runoff from the green. Then I started to see this on every hole - because most of the greens at SB are either slightly built up from the fairway or has significantly elevated approaches. This creates water run off that keeps the front of the greens soft and lush and the actual greens firm. On down-wind shots on some holes, you have very little chance to hit a green - Hit it short and it stays short. Hit it on the green and it's over.

The overall design of the course offers solid par 3s, a couple fun short par 4s, one beast of a par 4. The par 5s are lackluster which is especially disappointing considering you end with Par 5s on 16 and 18. There is no signature hole that stands out in my mind.

Overall condition of the course still remains rough except for the greens,

I know GLV wanted to create a destination course. They gave it a good shot, but I won't be spending $100 to play there unless they can figure out how to condition the course to make it playable. I might spend $50 or $60.

Really glad I'm not the only one feeling that way about the course. Like I said before, the only thing "linksish" about it is the lack of trees and the heather. Other than that is plays like Bedford Valley.

"Links" conditions are rare to non-existent in the Midwest. That's why I was impressed with, and happy to have played, a small handful of courses this year which I believe come close to a links experience (though I have no experience playing a true links course). Earlier this month I played Lawsonia and Sand Valley, in WI. Both played firm and fast. It was difficult to find a ball mark on the greens, particularly at Lawsonia. There was a distinct lack of rain in the area for 2 weeks prior to playing, though.

In April I played The Hermitage in Nashville and that course was crisp under foot and played firm and fast as well. I have no idea how it plays this time of year, but it was a nice change of pace from the usual spring conditions in Chicagoland.

The closest I've played to links conditions around Chicago is Chicago Highlands.. With a higher maintainence budget they are able to keep the course lush but firm, and with greens stimping 13+, even balls which just trickle onto the green keep rolling as if influenced by demonic possession.

I'm not sure what the soil is like at Stoatin Brae, but as I understand it, lack of a sandy turf base will make it difficult to create links-like playing conditions.

Any good breakfast places nearby?

2023 bag

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Any good breakfast places nearby?

Second this question! We are playing it late Sunday AM on our fall trip and need a recommendation for a breakfast place between south haven and stoatin brae.

East Egg in Richland. Nuff said. Best Reuben I've ever had...and yes I order it for breakfast.

Will hit it up, coming from the south west how would recommend going to East Egg, right through town on 43?

2023 bag

Bridgestone Tour B RX