TaylorMade Rescue Mid

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, since I'm in the market for another Rescue Mid I'll start this thread off...

I currently own both the 16 and 19 degree Rescue Mid TP's with the stock Fuji Vista Pro 90 in a stiff flex. These clubs are more often than not my "go to" clubs in the bag. Very easy to hit, nice boring mid-trajectory, extremely LONG and dead accurate. I will admit that when I first started playing these clubs about a year ago they took some time getting used to. Now, all I can say is that I want another one...

This review is for the retail Rescue Mid with stock S-90 ultralite graphite in 19*. My swing- medium to slow tempo, misses are usually thin or to the left (straight pull or pull hook). Carry 8i 150 and carry my driver about 255+.

The club definately performs better for a smooth swing rather than a hit- something I'm working on . . .

Distance- replace my 3 and 4 irons and covers the carry of 190-215 based on how far I choke down. I hit my 3 iron an inconsistent 205, so the distance is very good (the loft in more like a 2 iron, but a 3 iron replacement?). I have been able to go all out and carry it 220+, but there's really no need for that. The right replacement distance way for me, but I guess it could be a very long club for others. I use it to fill a gap with a smooth easy swing- go to club style (even though my go to club is my 4 wood).

Feel- solid on impact. Not too loud. I demoed steel shafted ones, but decided to go with the stock graphite because it just seemed to be smoother.

Forgiveness- pretty good. Thin misses still roll out to a decent distance. Pushes off the toe come off suprisingly hot- just dead right for me. When I miss left- it doesn't go any further left than my normal misses. I'd say the forgiveness is very good- right there with the Hogan CFT.

Workability- terrific. I can hit it high or low depending on where in my stance I set it up. I've been able to fade it on purpose and usually hit it straight, but can put my usual draw on it too. Yardages work out great- every 1/2" I choke down is about 7 yards of carry, so I've able to take it down to 190 with a full swing (granted it looks weird with my hands down by the shaft almost off the grip, but it works for me).

Overall, I'd say it's a great club and a pretty cheap nowadays. The Rescue Mid I demoed was a little longer, but more expensive. Even though I tend to miss left (hook pull hook style) I haven't had any problems whatsoever with this club. The face sets up pretty square too (I set up like I'm hitting a 5 iron).

I say give it whirl, if you don't like the club but like the price range, move right on over to the Ben Hogan CFT- those are pretty hot off the face and are square.

• 4 months later...

I have the TM Rescue Mid in 19* with a stock Stiff flex shaft. This is a great club for me when I swing slow and smooth. As soon as I try to get on it a little or mishit it I will hit the biggest duck hooks ever. I have been around to a lot of messages boards and I see I'm not the only person having this problems. Actually seems like a ton of people are.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I recently bought both the 3 and the 4 with stock stiff shafts off of ebay. This was easily the best decision I've made this year. They are a lot easier to hit than long irons, but I also have that problem of a duck hook when I swing too hard. Other than that, they were a great value for 75.00 each brand new. The only hybrid that I would prefer would be the cobra baffler.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I just recieved from my clubmaker a # 2 mid rescue. The face and weighting of the club is neutral with an actual loft of 15.6*. The stock shaft was replaced with a bassara hybrid graphite regular flexed shaft. Unlike most stock shafts, this particular shaft is very smooth and will hold up to all you can give it without let down. The distance range of this combo is 210 to 240 yards and is a great replacement for people having difficulty with their fairway woods.

This is a very solid and reliable combination option even with the newer technologies out there.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I agree with the smooth swing comments. The thing is the ball still penetrates and flies far with a smooth swing, no need to kill it. I liked this club when it was in my bag. Now that I broke the shaft it's been replaced by the Callaway X. I've already made arrangements for the shaft to be replaced so this baby will be back in my bag soon, hopefully.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just picked up a Rescue Mid(non Tp) 19* on Ebay. The guy had it listed as a TP version but when it showed up it was not the TP. I was a little upset about that but since I only paid $15 shipped I figured I would go hit it and not send it back. It has the graphite ultralight stiff shaft in it(seems pretty stiff when I waggle it) and I figured it would be a hook machine. Well it turns out that it is stupid easy to hit and I have not had any issue with over hooking it. I have been able to cut & draw it on demand and it flies nice and high without ballooning about 230yds and lands softly. I had a 17*Nickent 3dx dc that I had a love hate relationship, I think the Rescue Mid is so much easier to hit and so far it is nothing but love!!!!!! The head feels heavier than the Nickent and I think it gives me more confidence I am going to get the ball out of whatever lie I have, the Nickent was useless for me out of the rough.

If your looking for something easy to hit and don't want to spend a lot of cash give these a try, I am glad I did!!!!!!!!

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

My game has improved tremendously over the last season--striking my irons and drives better than ever--but I had an old Adams Idea A2 OS that I started hooking horribly. The one club I was afraid to hit in the bag. I desperately needed a replacement. I just bought a 16* stiff steel shaft off the used club rack at the local golf store. I fell in love on the first strike.

I played the TM Rescue off the first tee without any warmups. A low boring cut shot that traced the fairway perfectly. Played it again odd the tee on 2, and it left me perfectly between two fairway bunkers on a dawg leg right where driver usually lands OB across the street. Played it a few other times with similar results. Just fantastic to watch and amazing confidence standing over the ball.

The finale was on a 200+ par 3 with a strong breeze blowing straight in. I knew I would not be able to get my 4 iron to cut through the wind and reach the pin in the back of the green. I was worried the gap between my new hybrid and 4 might be too big, but I thought WTH and gave it a shot. Another beautiful cut shot that put the ball on a path right at the flag stick guarded by a bunker. The club held the green no problem and left me a 15 foot look for birdie. At this point I had to call my dad to tell him the gem I just found for dirt cheap. Still in awe of this thing.