2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Do you carry a Lob wedge or is 56 Degree enough?

Sanders74

I carry a 45 50 54 & 58. I find I use the Lob wedge (58*) from 90 yds depending on the full shot & conditions. I find it useful within the 35 yd range IF I have a bunker, water, high rough, etc to go over to get to the green. The bounce on my lob wedge is a few degrees less than my sand wedge so it's easier to hit off of tighter lies. Also I use the Lob wedge in a bunker if I need to get the ball up quickly over the lip. I find it works better than the sand wedge in this cases. Most of your shots are from within wedge distance,115yds & in so by having more choices of wedges to pick from seems to be the reasonable thing to do. Depending on the distance, lie, wind, weather, hazards & obstacles, I could any of the wedges. I normally chip with my 50* Gap Wedge if that helps anyone.

i've been bouncing back and forth between 46/50/54/58 and 46/52/58 for the last few months. i like all of the options that a 4-wedge setup offers on approach shots inside 100yds and chipping around the greens. however i'm not a very long hitter (7-iron 145yds), so on lengthier courses or windy days i have to choose the 3-wedge setup in order to add another hybrid or long iron to the top of my bag.

G425 LST 9°  •  3w G425 Max  •  3h G425  •  4i Maltby TS2  •  5i–Pw Maltby TS1  •  50°/54°/58° Maltby TSW  •  Odyssey White Hot OG 1WS

Generally I use a 46, 52, 56 and 60. 56 is moderate bounce and 60 is lower bounce (8 degrees). For a few courses, I even add a 64 degree. For around the green, I will use either the 56 or 60 depending upon the type of shot and length of shot i want to hit. Fortunately i can hit the 60 off super super tight lies with zero issues (proved it to caddies out at Bandon this year for sure).

And i will hit any of the wedges with full shot or partial shot. Again, do i want it high or to run with lower trajectory and how far do i want to carry it on the green. Quick greens means more loft as i want it stopping quickly but some of the local courses have super slow greens and then its the 52 or even PW and once in a while the 7 wood to putt off the green when they get down into the 3-5 stimp range.

I do vary the type of shot and loft even now with each club so that I can hit a 60 just like a 52 or lower. I used to carry and use the 64 a lot in the early 80s (had pw, sw and 64 then) but now i use 60 mostly because it's more versatile.

Currently 44, 50, 56 for me. Missing a few opportunities with these lofts on my home course, so thinking later this year I'll replace the 50 and 56 with 48, 52, 58. Cleveland RTX's with standard bounce are good as our course varies from soggy estuary fairways that go a bit hard pan for a month or two in summer, to well drained hilly parkland.

GBB Epic, X2 Hot, Srixon Z545, Cleveland RTX 2.0, Bettinardi

I walk and carry 4 wedges. If you go 56 only, make sure you have a suitable bounce and grind for bunker conditions you encounter. One could do it, I don't see reason in limiting score irons.

You dont need a particular grind for particular bunkers if you learn how to hit the shot.

You just nailed it. I personally play a 48 PW, a 52 bent to 53 GW, and a 58 LW. But when it comes to the short game, everything is in how you hit it. Take a 58, play it back in the stance with a strong grip, and its a 60 to 70 yard club. Play it up in the stance, with the front foot wide open and a weak grip, and it basically plays like a 60* - 62*. Ball pops way up in the air and comes down in 5 feet.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

I walk and carry 4 wedges. If you go 56 only, make sure you have a suitable bounce and grind for bunker conditions you encounter. One could do it, I don't see reason in limiting score irons.

You dont need a particular grind for particular bunkers if you learn how to hit the shot.

You just nailed it. I personally play a 48 PW, a 52 bent to 53 GW, and a 58 LW. But when it comes to the short game, everything is in how you hit it. Take a 58, play it back in the stance with a strong grip, and its a 60 to 70 yard club. Play it up in the stance, with the front foot wide open and a weak grip, and it basically plays like a 60* - 62*. Ball pops way up in the air and comes down in 5 feet.

What a silly thing to say. You don't need a particular grind for any shot if you learn to hit it. If you make perfect contact, the ball is already gone before the grind makes contact with the ground.

If you take this approach, you should just ignore grind and "learn to hit" every short game shot. Nonsense. Different misses are forgiven by different grinds. If you know your miss, you'll have two scenarios - 1. hit it perfectly (no grind matters) 2. don't hit it perfectly (have a grind that tends to forgive your most common miss).

You can "learn to hit"' all the shots you want but you are still going to miss because its golf and when you miss it really matters how your sole is going to interact with the ground. Given that literally the best short game player in the world gets up and down less than 2/3rds of the time I don't think you have the short game so figured out you "don't need to worry" about missing.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Just wonder how many (especially walkers) carry a lob wedge I been carrying 54, 58

and struggle using the right tool for the job sometimes, Thinking maybe going 56 and spending more time

with it inside of 100 yd. instead of bouncing between 54, 58. What your thoughts?

Thanks

Yes, I use the 56 (down to 55) most of the time around the greens. If you want to have fun in trouble lies and short bunker shots, I find a 62 is fun - haven't used it much yet, and I won't go above a 62 in loft, as for me, I find a 64 ... no, no, no. My real LW is a 59 and is good for trouble or short chips, specialized shots.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Current set up 46 PW, 56 SW. Got fitted for some irons, fitter says I should go 46, 50, 54, 58. My concern is having so many choices, LOL. Typically, I'll hit use my 56 around the green unless I want to bump and run with an 8 or get a little more run out with a PW. Having all those options seems unnecessary, especially when I rarely get to practice. Thinking of just adding a 50 degree gap wedge and keep the 56.

Walk and carry is very different these days than walk and push IMO. Push carts are very nice and large bags very light, so one could use 20 clubs (or even 14) easily when walking and pushing. But carrying is a different animal. Getting down to 10 clubs makes a very big difference. When you walk and carry, if you're only going to us a club once or twice a round, it is just not worth carrying. Nor is using any club that you don't hit well. So go down a wedge. Down a wood. Down a middle iron or two. I had one of my best 9's in 20 years last night carrying 10 clubs. Talk about loving the game of golf for an evening!

I carry my set's 50* GW because it's used exclusively for full shots. I also chose a 58* wide-sole wedge because my home course has a ton of sand and I need guaranteed outs that I don't get from traditional sole wedges... plus it's good for full-shots off of tight fairway lies. This leaves me with a gap between 50* full-shot only GW and 58* LW. As such, I fill the gap with a 54* traditional-sole SW that I rarely use from the sand. It sees use for ~80-90 yard full shots, short-sided chipping, 20-40 yard touch pitching, etc.

If I had a 47* or 48* PW I'd probably go with a traditional-sole 52* and the same wide-sole 58* wedge and be able to eliminate a club on the top end. I could also replace the 50* set GW with a traditional-sole 50* GW, but I still likely wouldn't use it for anything but full-shots, so I stick with the more forgiving and matched-feel of my set's 50* GW.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

I carry 50-55-60 and I can say 60 is by far the most used club in my bag (sans putter as that thing triples any club :)). Right or wrong I use 60 for most shots inside a 100 because it just feels safe. That being said I did leave my 60 on a course down south and didn't have it for a month. Although I felt a little naked without it I didn't see much change in my scoring using the 55.

• 2 weeks later...

currently carrying 45* PW, 49/53/57, but the 57 is not giving me enough.... I just finished stockpiling all the PWR II Trusty Rustys, heavy wedges I can actually work for once, and am likely gonna go to 49/55/61...

In short, I need a LW in the bag for everything from small greens 50 yards out to meter-low green-side bunkers... it is especially helpful here in SE Asia where the greens don't always harden as they do in the North American or Australian summers...

Sun Mountain 2017 4.5 LS 4-way Stand Bag

PING Anser 11°, Graphite Design Tour AD Black Di-6-X

Titleist 915Fd 15° 3W, Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S

Wilson/Staff D-100 19° 3H, Matrix Ozik Altus 5.6-S

Adams Idea Black CB2 4-PW, KBS Tour 90-S

Nike VR Pro X3X 52/10 & 58/10, DG S400

Edel E-1

I've been gradually replacing my wedges and have not yet selected a LW. I'm finding the 56-degree SW is almost always sufficient for full swings, chipping and pitching. But on very short bunker shots when I've not much green to work with I don't like having to fan it wide open and take a finesse swing.

Given how rudimentary my bunker game is I need to find a good 60 or 61 degree LW to let me take a bit bigger and more aggressive swing from the sand when I'm only trying to fly the ball 6-8 yards. For me it won't particularly matter if the LW I choose is great for other shots, my SW has just the perfect sole and bounce for my non-bunker short game either square faced or opened up just slightly.

I've been gradually replacing my wedges and have not yet selected a LW. I'm finding the 56-degree SW is almost always sufficient for full swings, chipping and pitching. But on very short bunker shots when I've not much green to work with I don't like having to fan it wide open and take a finesse swing.

Given how rudimentary my bunker game is I need to find a good 60 or 61 degree LW to let me take a bit bigger and more aggressive swing from the sand when I'm only trying to fly the ball 6-8 yards. For me it won't particularly matter if the LW I choose is great for other shots, my SW has just the perfect sole and bounce for my non-bunker short game either square faced or opened up just slightly.

I used to use a 57* for all my greenside shots and I still use my 55* out of the bunker using this technique:

http://www.golf.com/...ure-slow-motion

rather than fan the wedge open you take a very wide stance to immobilize your hips and then drop the handle to create loft. Its effective. He talks about the wide stance in this video:

For me, dropping the handle and widening my stance (his hands are almost knee-high at address) to create loft while staying square is much easier than aiming the body left, opening the face up and standing tall.

I use the 55* with this technique out of some pretty steep stuff and it works pretty well out of almost any sand. Apologies if you've heard of this before, but I seldom see other players hit bunker shots this way.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

That Charlie Wi video looks a lot like the bunker swing I was taught during my last bunker lesson a year or so ago.

I think it has the advantage that you can hit the longer and/or higher bunker shots without needing to generate tons of clubhead speed (as you might when going open-stance, open-face and cutting across the ball).

That Charlie Wi video looks a lot like the bunker swing I was taught during my last bunker lesson a year or so ago.

I think it has the advantage that you can hit the longer and/or higher bunker shots without needing to generate tons of clubhead speed (as you might when going open-stance, open-face and cutting across the ball).

Yeah, I like how it immobilizes my lower body. Under pressure I psysically can't do my usual move of sliding forward with my hips and hitting way too close to the ball. I can also aim square-faced. Its just a solid way to do it with a mid-50s wedge IMO.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I've recently switched to using my 55* for most shots inside 80 yards. Definitely have gotten better chips and short pitches over using the 60*. I've been saving the 60* for hard pan bunker, or deep rough where I really need to try and pop it up as high as I can. I only used the 60* once yesterday and my SG18 short game stat was one of the best it's ever been.

47, 51, 56 for me.

The grind on my 56 is good enough for me to open it up to 60 or so if needed. I got rid of the 60 wedge long ago and the 3H took it's place. Don't miss it.... ever.

-ZA

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

Go with what you are most comfortable with - I've gone with 48/54/58/62 because my experiences last season showed me that those would be my idea lofts - and they have been this season. The 54/58/62 all have different bounces and grinds which give me a wedge for pretty much any lie. Funny thing is that before when I had 52/56/60 I never was that good with my 60, yet my 62 is my first choice once I get within 100 yards of the green.

Wilson Deep Red II Tour (9.0)
King Cobra SZ (15.5), G10 HY (18, 21, 24)
MP-32 5i - 9i, Vokey SM5 50, 54 (F), 58 (M)
Rife Aussie

My Pw is 46, Gap 52, SW 58. I have trouble controlling a 60 degree lob wedge. I tend to be inconsistent when I flop it, often hitting it too high on the face. So far my gaps have been fine and the Vokey M Grind on the 58 is versatile enough to get me up and down around the green and from the trap.

Titleist TSR3 10° Autoflex 505x

Titleist TSR3 15° Ventus Red 7s

Callaway UW 19° Ventus Red 7s

PXG 0311 Gen3 4-5p, 6-9t, PWst Oban CT-115s 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50° Oban CT-115s

Vokey 56°s Raw, 60°t Raw Project X LZ 6.0

Byron Morgan DH89x / 009 

Could I play without a 60, yes. Would I want to, no. I've had a 60 in the bag since I started playing basically. :)

Nailed it!

I feel like there's a love/hate cycle when it comes to the 60. People see the pros open their 60s wide for the softest of landing flops, but then try the same and skull the ball over the green (or worse). It's a shot that needs PRACTICE. With that practice, the versatility of the 60 keeps it among my favorite greenside weapons. In general, I keep my chips low when I can. Having a 60 leaned forward to ~52 of loft can ensure crisp contact on those little low runners. Then of course, when you have no room to work with, open it up and give em hell!

Could I play without a 60, yes. Would I want to, no. I've had a 60 in the bag since I started playing basically. :)

Nailed it!

I feel like there's a love/hate cycle when it comes to the 60. People see the pros open their 60s wide for the softest of landing flops, but then try the same and skull the ball over the green (or worse). It's a shot that needs PRACTICE. With that practice, the versatility of the 60 keeps it among my favorite greenside weapons. In general, I keep my chips low when I can. Having a 60 leaned forward to ~52 of loft can ensure crisp contact on those little low runners. Then of course, when you have no room to work with, open it up and give em hell!

Yup, but what is nailed is, "since I started playing basically". The folks who have no need for a LW didn't learn with one. And when they did try out a LW, hit it poorly or spotty at best. I'm one of those folks. I'd take an opened up SW over a squared up LW everyday. Why? Because that's how it's been since I started playing basically...

Nailed it!

Yup, but what is nailed is, "since I started playing basically". The folks who have no need for a LW didn't learn with one. And when they did try out a LW, hit it poorly or spotty at best. I'm one of those folks. I'd take an opened up SW over a squared up LW everyday. Why? Because that's how it's been since I started playing basically...

Exactly. It's just a matching issue. If you are steep you keep a square face and you need 58s and 60s. If you are shallow you can easily open the face so you can "make" a 60 out of a 52 probably. Steep swings are built on wrist hinge, shallow swings are flatter and built on shoulder turn. Neither is right or wrong.

If you learned to keep the face square and hinge on plane you need loft. If you learned to open the face and swing around yourself you don't because it's much easier to open the wedge up. Neither is better than the other and there are extreme examples of both on tour.

People get into trouble when then don't know which they are and start searching because of a few bad days around the green. Then that search becomes endless because a great short game is natural - you are going to have bad days and the best short game

Players ride those streaks out. The poor ones start tinkering and buying L grinds even though they take divots the size of manhole covers.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I use a Cleveland 1 dot 56 as the highest lofted wedge - the heel and toe relief let you open it up for flops and its bounce in the center is enough for all but the very softest of sand

I find any wedge higher in loft creates confusion for my simple mind and causes me to make bad decisions...after all it wasnt too long ago that a 56* wedge was the highest lofted anyone used....