Titleist 718 AP2 and AP3 Irons: Shot at the 2017 Quicken Loans National

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The AP3 are analogous to The Story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. AP1 too big, AP2 too much of a players club, AP3 seem just right. Does anyone know when we can expect AP3 on the shelves?

October 2017.....lame.....golf season is almost over in half the country at that time.....wish it was a Spring/Summer release.

i know they usually launch their new products about then but they don't usually leak photos of new products this soon. it would be a mistake to launch in October when alot of the hype as disappeared

Question for the Better Informed among us. Why do golf companies release new equipment late in the season, going into the offseason? This seems to counter-productive. For those of us who play in the northern half of the country, I'm not thinking about buying new golf equipment with a month left in the season before I put the clubs away for 4 months of winter. I want to buy golf equipment when I am thinking about golf season. I buy new skis in November so that I can use them for the coming season. Why has the golf industry gone a different path?

The AP3 are analogous to The Story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. AP1 too big, AP2 too much of a players club, AP3 seem just right. Does anyone know when we can expect AP3 on the shelves?

October 2017.....lame.....golf season is almost over in half the country at that time.....wish it was a Spring/Summer release.

i know they usually launch their new products about then but they don't usually leak photos of new products this soon. it would be a mistake to launch in October when alot of the hype as disappeared

Question for the Better Informed among us. Why do golf companies release new equipment late in the season, going into the offseason? This seems to counter-productive. For those of us who play in the northern half of the country, I'm not thinking about buying new golf equipment with a month left in the season before I put the clubs away for 4 months of winter. I want to buy golf equipment when I am thinking about golf season. I buy new skis in November so that I can use them for the coming season. Why has the golf industry gone a different path?

I would assume it is due to the holidays and people having a few months to convince their significant others to get them the clubs for Christmas haha

The north represents a small portion of overall sales in the country...why are cars released at the end of the year too? its mainly because the business worlds financial calendar is different than the calendar you live by every day.

Did they just release 6 sets of new irons?

Wow, TM or Callaway would get railed if they dumped 6 iron sets in a day.

Nothing they make will ever see my bag.

I think the difference for some is that in this case, all of your Titleist iron options for the next two years are laid out at once so there less a chance of something 'better' - or a better fit - coming out a few months later. If they announced AP1 and AP2 for example, then 6 months later AP3 appeared I think you'd hear some of the same directed at them.

I would assume it is due to the holidays and people having a few months to convince their significant others to get them the clubs for Christmas haha

These are clubs for 2018. Production is just ramping up.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I think they look great. I like they got rid of the red in the AP1. The AP3 is new, and that's good. It's a pretty diverse, and slick looking line up. I think they did a great job.

Now they need to focus on TM and Cally and all the rest chipping away at their ball monopoly:)

M6 10.5
M4 3W
Titleist 816h 21
CF19 5-AW
SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
Byron Morgan 612
V1X/ERC Soft

I think they look great. I like they got rid of the red in the AP1. The AP3 is new, and that's good. It's a pretty diverse, and slick looking line up. I think they did a great job.

Now they need to focus on TM and Cally and all the rest chipping away at their ball monopoly:)

its true. All this talk that the magical tp5 was created by merlin specifically to be immune to the wind cant be helping things.

pretty excited for this release. I am very interested in the AP3. As someone who plays a 716 ap1 4 iron, 714 ap2 5-pw and 716 ap2 GW i'm pretty much game for whatever works best. Playing at high altitude (7000+ ft above sea level) I need a gap wedge, but when i head back east (as i will tomorrow) i generally pull my gap and pw in favor of a 670 pw @ 48* and an extra hybrid.... but i digress.

hoping the ap3 lofts look like: 20, 23, 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 50. So they could be potentially blended from ap3 3-5, ap2 6-8 and mb 9-pw - 20, 23, 26, 30, 34, 38, 43, 47 sounds really nice.

ap3 smoke would be a nice touch...

SIM 2 9° AD IZ 6X
SIM Ti 3w 15° AD DI 7X
SIM Ti 5w 18° AD DI 7X

SIM2 Rescue 4 22° Nippon GOST X

RSi UDI 4 DGTI 120 S400
P7MC 5-PW DGTI S400
MG 52, 58 DGTI S400
Spider Tour Copper 34"

I've played CBs for four years now and love them, but this makes me love them less:

"The 718 CB, however, is a much different club. In its previous iteration, the tungsten in the 3- through 7-irons was covered by a stainless-steel cap. Now the tungsten extends out to the edge of the club. This provides more weight and allows for the CG to be moved slightly toward the heel for a little more draw bias on the long and mid irons."

Agreed!

Why, on God's green earth, would you make a players club with a draw bias?!?

I wouldn't worry about the draw bias until we have more information. My guess is that based on feedback from their staff they are moving the bias more towards the hosel, which would be familiar to people who have been playing mb/cb pre-tungsten.

Makes sense and you're right - best not to rush to judgement.

Especially before I have even hit them... Haha

yes i think so, it seem´s so that the blade length of the AP2´s are smaller than the CB and MB.

From left to right: MB, CB AP3, AP2, AP1 and T-MB...

29610722yb.jpg

Looking at the heel/toe length, the AP2's are the shortest. Those might be harder to hit then the MB's.

I actually kind of like it. The shape of a compact iron like the Cobra mb of recent years is super appealing to my eye even though I don't have the consistency to really bag them. If they have the small look but packed with more tech and forgiveness I could get really motivated.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1237994-my-carls-golfland-contest-fitting-experience-grab-a-drink/"]My Carl's Golfland / GolfWRX WITB story[/url]

Cobra F9, Atmos Black TS 6X
Titleist TS3 3w, Atmos Black TS 7s

Titleist 510 3i Atmos Black TS 9x
Srixon U85 4, z785 5-PW Modus 120x
Titleist Vokey SM5 50F/54M/58M, DG TIS400
EVNRoll ER5

I know my vision isn't perfect, but do these Ap2 look less offset? If so, these will be in my bag day one!

It definitely appears to have less offset. But the pics are always shot at an angle that usually shows less offset. But I've tried looking at my 716 AP2's from the angle in the pic (yup I've got to much time on my hands at night sometimes) and it appears to have less offset. I don't mind the offset on the 716 AP2's but if the 718 has less it would be nice IMO.

Also seeing Ian's initial pics I was slightly under whelmed by the look of them sitting in the bag, granted it's the last part of consideration in buying irons but I'm the small majority that liked the look of the 716's. But the Golfwrx "spotted pics" changed that completely. My 716's are beat to hell, and I'll probably get the 718 with i95 shafts when their released, they look that good from address (plus I can't demo them where I live anyways).

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

If AP3 comes between AP1 and AP2 shouldn't it have been AP1.5. :dntknw:

LOL, indeed.

When Titleist started the AP line they obviously didn't envision they could make another iron head for a market that doesn't exist, but now they do ;)

It's no different to what BMW, Audi have done in the automotive industry really. They created a model that no one was really asking for, but because of the marque people will buy it.

The only question is, are they really taking market share away from the competition or just selling a slight variation to an existing model to a customer who would have gone with one of those other options anyways, if the new one didn't exist.

I think a number have been asking for something like this, in different forms. It just may not be something that you've wanted.

Just about every SGI line, be it G series, AP1, or Cally's X series has some people that would like something with a thinner top line and less offset, but not quite an I series/AP2/X Pro, respectively.

Of course we don't know if this club is meant to be a distance monster type of club or now, so we'll have to wait for the full story. Given its styled differently there is probably something different about it than just an AP1/AP2 tweener.

IDK - I don't think the AP1 is an SGI in the vein of the G series or an M1, but that next notch down like Cally's regular Apex. That said, I've not had a good look at them recently.

If you believe the Titleist marketing they've made the AP2 as 'forgiving' as the previous models incarnation of the AP1 - I know they explicitly stated that with the 714, don't know about subsequent ones. So if an AP2 is as forgiving as a previous AP1, then why does anyone need an AP3? Unless they just want a non-forged marginally bigger/smaller clubhead?

Cynical me, just sees it as a way for Titleist to further bump up the price of the AP2, while slotting the AP3 into the old AP2's price point.

I think know what your referring to. I believe the 716 AP2 were to have the same forgiveness as the 710 AP1. I don't believe the 716 AP2 had the forgiveness of the 714 AP1, but a much older AP1 model. I own the 716 AP2 and found them be a lot more forgiving then my 710 Ap2 with the same shaft IMHO.

But with that I can't see the 718 being much more forgiving then 716. Personally the 716 AP2 has been the best irons I've ever played from playabliity to forgiveness, just an awesome blend of both that look great at address and feel have great feel.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

Like what Cdeez suggested ... "Potentially blend a setup of ap3 3-5, ap2 6-8 and mb 9-pw " would be nice.

D.

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

Wonder if they'll do a smoke version at initial release, or wait till sales slow down and then release the smoke version....?

Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

What or who are the AP3's supposed to be for? Even worse looking than normal for brand bland.

Jason Bohn has a full set....launch and forgiveness

For what they are, they look relatively uncluttered in Jason's bag. I like the look.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Ap2 looks great. Still confused how AP3 fits in lineup.

Direct competition for the CF16, which are selling so much that they're on back order.

they are on BO because they barely produce any sets. Its almost a fully custom order so there really is no back order on these sets

I've been waiting for about a month. Just got pushed back to July 10th.

A friend of mine waited way longer. I'm not sure I'm buying what you're selling.

Doubt ruins more dreams than failure
ever will - someone on the internet

Ap2's look a lot smaller! The jury is still out on the Ap3's.

Hopefully Titleist will offer most shafts at no up charge?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

What or who are the AP3's supposed to be for? Even worse looking than normal for brand bland.

For what they are, they look relatively uncluttered in Jason's bag. I like the look.

pic?

Pics are posted on the Team Titleist site, including Bohn's clubs.

What Is and What Should Never Be

pic?

Pics are posted on the Team Titleist site, including Bohn's clubs.

could you please post a link? I don´t find it.

As someone who looks down at the 716 AP2 everyday, it looks like they may have ever so slightly trimmed some edges down and slimmed up the new 718 AP2. It doesn't look like the bottom edge is as bevelled, it looks more square or sharp. The top line has sharper lines as well and isn't as rounded off. It could just be the pictures as well. Really looking forward to hitting these. Probably pick up a set this winter. Personally, I would prefer them to use the DG AMT as the stock option. This shaft really fits my swing well. Love the lighter weight in the longer irons and the classic DG weight in the short irons gives a nice feel and great trajectory.