Would love to see Billy Ho and James Hahn win and watch PXG bandwagon grow overnight

KCCO

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to. An iron is an iron. Whether it's from calllaway, PXG, taylormade, Nike, Cobra, Mizuno, etc. Prove me wrong then. Cause all you talk about is an iron being filled and BMW's. Because at the end of the day. The iron you choose is all preference. Whether it's distance, feel, look, etc. it's still an iron.

According to that logic, all irons in the history of golf are pretty much the same because they are irons, and it is just a matter of personal preference as to which one is best. And you imply that all cars are the same also, and only differences are purely a matter of personal preference.

That simply does not stand up to any kind of logical scrutiny. It would be reasonable to suspect that you are in the golf business in some way, and PXG is a competitor, or you are not an authorized retailer/fitter for PXG. The only other options are much less flattering.

James Hahn might get people interested in PXG, but everybody hates Billy Ho.

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

M

No need to. An iron is an iron. Whether it's from calllaway, PXG, taylormade, Nike, Cobra, Mizuno, etc. Prove me wrong then. Cause all you talk about is an iron being filled and BMW's. Because at the end of the day. The iron you choose is all preference. Whether it's distance, feel, look, etc. it's still an iron.

According to that logic, all irons in the history of golf are pretty much the same because they are irons, and it is just a matter of personal preference as to which one is best. And you imply that all cars are the same also, and only differences are purely a matter of personal preference.

That simply does not stand up to any kind of logical scrutiny. It would be reasonable to suspect that you are in the golf business in some way, and PXG is a competitor, or you are not an authorized retailer/fitter for PXG. The only other options are much less flattering.

You don't need a logical explanation, you don't need a technical explanation. Yes, a car is a car. Depends on what you want or need in a car is based off of preferences. You just want a car to get you to point a to point b. And don't care for bells and whistles. Then you get the cheapest most practical car you can afford. You want a super fast car? Then you go and get a super fast car. You need a truck? Then you go get a truck. It's pretty simple right? I guess not. Do you need a PowerPoint presentation or something?

I can't give you any more detail than what I experienced. I worked with my fitter and his Trackman and checked the loft, the length and used the same shaft for every club I hit.

The PXG (for me) was 10 yards longer than the competitor and (for me) was a tighter dispersion than any other iron maker I compared it to...Titleist, Miura, Mizuno, Ping, Taylormade and Callaway (not sure if I left any out).

I know three other good players (single digit handicappers) who have switched because the numbers were too good to say no to.

Knock them all you like, but for me I have tested them on trackman and eliminated all the variables I could and it was the best performer.

Did your handicap go down?

Only have had them for a week, but shot even par today at Innisbrook's Copperhead course where they play the Valspar. I suppose you can say because of that round the answer is yes.

To be absolutely fair. My prior set was a combo set of Titleist AP2 4-6 irons and Titleist Blades 7-PW.

The PXG irons "should" provide a bit more forgiveness than my blades in the short irons. My play today was as good as it's ever been with the irons. I am a single digit handicap and have been as low as a 2.

Are PXG irons better than all clubs. Probably not. But again I tested them out using Trackman and they did perform much better than any irons I tested. If the testing held true to the real world then I would say yes I would expect to be a better golfer.

You don't need a logical explanation, you don't need a technical explanation. Yes, a car is a car. Depends on what you want or need in a car is based off of preferences. You just want a car to get you to point a to point b. And don't care for bells and whistles. Then you get the cheapest most practical car you can afford. You want a super fast car? Then you go and get a super fast car. You need a truck? Then you go get a truck. It's pretty simple right? I guess not. Do you need a PowerPoint presentation or something?

Some cars perform better than others in terms of HP or MPG, or whatever. Same with golf clubs.

If all you want to do is finish the round of golf, and you don't care what score you get, then any clubs will do, including a 40 year old set. If you want to achieve the best possible score, you might want to look for some game improvement clubs, unless you are scratch golfer and prefer blades. But I don't know many golfers any more that can achieve their best scores on a consistent basis with blades, as even pros are moving away from pure blades these days.

Some cars perform better than others in terms of HP or MPG, or whatever. Same with golf clubs.

If all you want to do is finish the round of golf, and you don't care what score you get, then any clubs will do, including a 40 year old set. If you want to achieve the best possible score, you might want to look for some game improvement clubs, unless you are scratch golfer and prefer blades. But I don't know many golfers any more that can achieve their best scores on a consistent basis with blades, as even pros are moving away from pure blades these days.

name one player whos a known "blade" player whos dropped them in the last 3 years ? last one i remember was Phil after the Razr MB to the 13 x forged... but to be fair the Razr is perimeter weighted and as forgiving as the x forged.. so really never was a "blade"....

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

name one player whos a known "blade" player whos dropped them in the last 3 years ? last one i remember was Phil after the Razr MB to the 13 x forged... but to be fair the Razr is perimeter weighted and as forgiving as the x forged.. so really never was a "blade"....

I don't understand your question. When did I say a pro dropped using a blade. Looking at the tour clubs offered by TM, they are advertised as "blade-like" and are no longer pure blades. I suspect that some pros still use "pure" blades that are either custom made by a big name manufacturer or stock clubs from manufacturers who still offer them.

I also don't get the comment about forged clubs. I used to own some Hogan Edge clubs that were forged, and were a cavity back.

I don't understand your question. When did I say a pro dropped using a blade. Looking at the tour clubs offered by TM, they are advertised as "blade-like" and are no longer pure blades. I suspect that some pros still use "pure" blades that are either custom made by a big name manufacturer or stock clubs from manufacturers who still offer them.

I also don't get the comment about forged clubs. I used to own some Hogan Edge clubs that were forged, and were a cavity back.

I understood bladehunter's response. Go over the last paragraph of the last post. That's what bladehunter responded to.

I understood bladehunter's response. Go over the last paragraph of the last post. That's what bladehunter responded to.

OK, I guess there is confusion between "pure blades" and "blade like."

When I went to the TM site and looked at the clubs that they have available, I did not see any "pure blades" anymore. TM calls their tour clubs "blade like." So it doesn't appear to me that the only TM pure blades are made on a custom basis for golfers like Rory (or other pros).

"P750 irons feature a thin topline (thinner than the P770) and minimal offset for a
blade-like
look preferred by our Tour players"

&

McIlroy apparently plays the "blade like" TaylorMade P750 Tour Proto Irons (for 3-4-iron), and custom made "pure blades" called the P700 “Rors Proto” Irons (for 5-9-iron).

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/gear/gear-news/rory-mcilroy-whats-in-the-bag-111532

I believe that Titleist and a few others still make pure blades that are generally available to the public without being custom made. But it appears to me that a lot of pros are moving to more of a blade like club, that is no longer a pure blade. I don't know when the change occurred, and probably began more than 3 years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure that PXG even needs winners to sell their clubs at this point. Where I live, and I'm sure it's the same in Scottsdale, Vegas, Ponte Vedra, Hilton Head, etc. that PXG is outselling everything by a mile in custom-build shops. Just off the cuff, I asked my local small repair/fitting shop who sells custom built/fitted clubs of all makes, how they were doing with PXG since they had taken them on a few months earlier. The reply was that, last month, they sold 80 custom sets of PXG clubs. That was six times more than the next best selling brand. Their usual count is more like 30-40 sets TOTAL (all brands) each quarter...if that. In other words, PXG is selling clubs like hotcakes and they're not just taking business from the other OEMs. They're generating new business out of the blue. I live in an affluent area, but there are scores of communities in the US with similar demographics. Whatever they're doing, it's working. They are selling the shite out of these things and there are way more than enough guys with enough money that the price is not an issue....at all.

PXG is US iteration of Honma. US golfers never warmed up to Honma but they have with PXG. How cool that this thread picked 2 PXG Tour winners. It's sure to help sales.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Titleist TSI2 18 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

They are fantastic. Soft and forgiving. Say whatever you want but they are legit. I hit them against Miura, Mizuno, Srixon, Titleist, Taylormade and Callaway and they performed better on Trackman in both distance and dispersion.

PXG 4-7 irons in 0311 model

PXG 8-PW irons in 0311T model

Fitted with Oban Steel Shafts

Overrated? Hell I shot a freaking 63 with them this week which is my lowest score ever by a ton of strokes. I was in a zone I have never experienced before. If that's overrated I will take overrated every stinking day.

Great this thread is still up.

PXG is a great design - hybrid with lead tape made to look like an iron. Just shows more people are better off with hybrids than they would like to admit.

That's an interesting take on them and not that far from reality. The same is true for most GI clubs but PXG got it done in a package that still looks like a legit player's club. I know it's completely a matter of taste, but the first time I saw the back of that club with all the screws, I loved the look and the concept makes total sense. They have perfect control of the perimeter weighting...perfect. I can find nothing wrong with the clubs, except for the high price and what quality product on earth doesn't cost a fortune these days? It's just the way it is now. I prefer simplicity but PXG definitely got it right for a large segment of players. Where do they go from here?

They are fantastic. Soft and forgiving. Say whatever you want but they are legit. I hit them against Miura, Mizuno, Srixon, Titleist, Taylormade and Callaway and they performed better on Trackman in both distance and dispersion.

Overrated? Hell I shot a freaking 63 with them this week which is my lowest score ever by a ton of strokes. I was in a zone I have never experienced before. If that's overrated I will take overrated every stinking day.

And again are you discounting an improvement in skills? It appears so. You were in a zone, not the clubs. You put a good swing on the ball, not the clubs, your mishits would have been the same with any of a number of other clubs. Glad you like them but stop pretending they are something special or unique because its simply not true.

And again are you discounting an improvement in skills? It appears so. You were in a zone, not the clubs. You put a good swing on the ball, not the clubs, your mishits would have been the same with any of a number of other clubs. Glad you like them but stop pretending they are something special or unique because its simply not true.

Kind of arrogant speaking about my game...huh? I won't say that these clubs are better for anyone else, BUT I did head to head testing at a club fitter using Trackman to track every shot.

For me...just me...they are better. You talk about a change in my improvement...it's been a month and I haven't done anything different- no additional practice no additional play.

Please tell me more about my game and it's improvement.

Not arrogant in the least. You've obviously gotten better or you wouldnt have dropped your handicap and been able to get "in the zone". Until the day that the club can hit shots for you then this will always be true. If you were horribly misfit before then a better fit could make a difference but at your handicap it would be smaller than most.

If theres anything else you need to know feel free to ask.

Not arrogant in the least. You've obviously gotten better or you wouldnt have dropped your handicap and been able to get "in the zone". Until the day that the club can hit shots for you then this will always be true. If you were horribly misfit before then a better fit could make a difference but at your handicap it would be smaller than most.

If theres anything else you need to know feel free to ask.

It's a conundrum that people will blame and credit the equipment pro's use for their success or failure but when guys like Andrew credits clubs they believe improved their game they are told it wasn't the clubs (especially if those clubs are made by PXG).

If all golf clubs are the same and our scores are only a result of our ability and proper club fitting then why is the equipment thread littered with threads from people who claim they have achieved better performance with a certain driver or set of irons. You should petition GolfWrx to shut down the equipment thread because clearly it's a waste of all our time to discuss different clubs when they all perform the same.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

What I am saying as much as anything is that the PXGs are best for my game. I am not implying they are the best for everyone.

There are a couple of factors that have worked in my favor:

-> I was fit for the best head and best shaft for my swing via Trackman. The fitter, Jesse and Club Champion really didn't care what worked.

-> My previous set was Titleist 4-6 iron AP2s and Titleist Blades 7-PW. There is zero doubt in my mind that the forgiveness of the PXG 0311T has aided my scoring.

I get that some people have a bias because they are expensive as hell. You want to say they aren't any different. To me...they are...they are worth every single damn penny.

My last 5 rounds since putting them in the bag- 73, 74, 76, 63, 75

All of those rounds are on tough courses- World Woods and Streamsong. Today's round at Streamsong I shot a 75 and I had three 3 putts and couldn't make a birdie putt inside 10 feet (missed 4 opportunities).

Call it whatever you want but these irons are fantastic. Beyond that everyone who had hit my irons has had the awe effect. They are soft feeling, long flying and solid irons. People can bash them all they want and I don't care. Call me an idiot for spending the money. I shot a score that in a million years I didn't think was possible (63). Was I in the zone? Absolutely - but my confidence in my clubs allowed me to play strong for all 18 holes. What is that worth?