Golf Trip to Hawaii - Early June

cvvorst

I'm heading to Hawaii (with my wife) this June, and I wanted to get some recommendations for golf courses to play when I'm out there.

I will be on Maui mostly, but I'm sure I can go to the other islands (I assume? It's easy to travel between them?)

As my wife will be with me, I won't be golfing all day. I was thinking of trying to get out once per day, depending on my schedule. I am happy to be the first person out for the day, I'll often play 18 in just over 2 hours on my home course, but I understand that's not possible in most places. If I can save a lot of money by playing later on the day, I might do that sometimes as well.

I'm wondering what courses I absolutely need to play when out there, and what courses are a good value. Are there courses that are hidden gems? Probably not enough room in the islands for that though....

If anyone wants to get together to play, let me know!

Thanks for any recommendations! I plan on checking my clubs, or is shipping them the better option?

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shipping is more than a checked bag, I've saved by shipping just clubs no bag then borrowing a rental bag at the course.

To play: definitely Plantation, Bay Course isn't a must. (The best hole is #5, which you can park near the little chapel between 3 & 4 and walk to and snap some photos.) If staying in Kihei area, can't go wrong with Wailea Gold or Emerald. Blue is boring. But the must do thing is taking the ferry from Lahaina to Lanai. 2 courses there, the Challenge and Koele. About a 45 min ferry. I used to take the first ferry out, there's a shuttle that'll take you to either course. I would go play Koele first, it's up in Lanai City, maybe 45-60 minutes up the hill. After the round, shuttle to the Challenge, then when you're done, you're a 5 minute shuttle back to the harbor for the ferry back to Maui. Pace of play is fast. I've had weekday rounds on Lanai where I maybe saw another group. More deer than golfers. If you take the wife, I'd drop mine off at the Four Seasons Spa (with a preset spending limit of course), then I'd go peg it.

Hidden gem on Maui is Kahili. Reasonable rates for visitors, good test of golf.

Flying to other islands doable, may run you $130-$150 r/t before bag fees. Kapalua airport is super convenient. Mokulele airlines operates out of there with regular flights to Oahu & Big Island.

Shipping is more than a checked bag, I've saved by shipping just clubs no bag then borrowing a rental bag at the course.

To play: definitely Plantation, Bay Course isn't a must. (The best hole is #5, which you can park near the little chapel between 3 & 4 and walk to and snap some photos.) If staying in Kihei area, can't go wrong with Wailea Gold or Emerald. Blue is boring. But the must do thing is taking the ferry from Lahaina to Lanai. 2 courses there, the Challenge and Koele. About a 45 min ferry. I used to take the first ferry out, there's a shuttle that'll take you to either course. I would go play Koele first, it's up in Lanai City, maybe 45-60 minutes up the hill. After the round, shuttle to the Challenge, then when you're done, you're a 5 minute shuttle back to the harbor for the ferry back to Maui. Pace of play is fast. I've had weekday rounds on Lanai where I maybe saw another group. More deer than golfers. If you take the wife, I'd drop mine off at the Four Seasons Spa (with a preset spending limit of course), then I'd go peg it.

Hidden gem on Maui is Kahili. Reasonable rates for visitors, good test of golf.

Flying to other islands doable, may run you $130-$150 r/t before bag fees. Kapalua airport is super convenient. Mokulele airlines operates out of there with regular flights to Oahu & Big Island.

Is Koele back open? Last I heard it was closed indefinitely.

But Manele Bay is the most amazing course I've ever played, so Lanai is still work the trip.

Thank you guys!

Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Maui Nui was a nice surprise when we visited last month. I had played Kahili as my 'budget' course on trips before, but I played Maui Nui 2X instead of Kihili. Also, the Emerald Wailea in easier than the Gold course, but the Emerald had the best views in the islands, if your wife wants to ride on one of your rounds; easy to get on as a single with a rider afternoons. I suggest playing Kapalua Plantation in the morning if you don't mind the price (it's a Troon course if you have any connection to get a better deal). The afternoon winds make 17 & 18 fun, but really is brutal on several other holes. Avoid the Kaanapali courses if possible; over-priced and the resort crowd is often once-a-year golfers and 6 hour rounds are possible.

Stealth 10.5 Tour AD 6S
0311 Gen6  3 and 7 wood
BioCell 25* Hybrid
Srixon ZX5 5-PW Recoil 95 F3
Cleveland CG12 DSG 52*

Hi-Toe milled 58* ATV
Odyssey Stroke lab 10 S

• 3 weeks later...

It's actually quite difficult to travel between islands. Ferries are no longer available and air fare can be quite expensive.

The best courses on Maui are

Plantation

King Kamehameha country club

Wailea gold and emerald

Those courses are also the most expensive.

Good courses that are priced fair are

Kahili

Maui nui

Pukalani coutry club-play this one in the morning to avoid wind for sure. It's an old school layout with beautiful par 3's but when I played there last the conditions were very good for the price.

We go every year (Oct timeframe).

As other have suggested def play the Plantation.

I wouldn't miss King Kamehameha club if you can play it (clubhouse was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright)

You can't go wrong Wailea Golf or Emerald

Manele Bay was incredible and I would put that prob #2 on my list

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

I'm going in late April and just found out that Kapalua has a $499, two weekend day, unlimited play deal going on. Booked 7 am tee times on the plantation on 4/22 and 4/23! Might try out the bay course as well for a replay. They also have $699 for three days out of a week unlimited play.

http://www.golfatkapalua.com/April-December2017Rates.html

• 1 month later...

Thank you guys for the recommendations!

I was told that our company was going to book a round at the plantation course with a small group, but that has turned into a round at the Ka'anapali Royal course with a decent size group. To be perfectly honest, I am thinking about skipping out and doing my own thing. Almost everyone on here has mentioned that Ka'anapali is the typical resort course, and one to skip. I have never been to Hawaii, and I think I would have a lot more fun playing other courses. Am I crazy?

My problem is that golf takes a long time, and I don't want to leave my wife by herself the whole vacation, so if I am going to golf I want to make it count.

I am thinking about buying the 2 day or 3 day pass for Kapalua, and playing 2 -3 rounds each day (2 Plantation rounds for every round at the Bay course) But I am also looking into the 3 day pass at Wailei. Or, playing Plantation once, Wailei Emerald, and Kahili or Maui Nui. I would like to play King Kamehameha, but I don't have a connection to play it.

Any recommendations from others? Will I be happiest replaying Kapalua Plantation, or should I play other courses? I am staying near Ka'anapali, but all of the courses look fairly close.

Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Any recommendations from others? Will I be happiest replaying Kapalua Plantation, or should I play other courses? I am staying near Ka'anapali, but all of the courses look fairly close.

It's a hike from Kaanapali to Wailea - probably an hour, easily. I can't see those courses being a good option for you if you're leaving your wife back in Kaanapali. I'd do the three day pass at Kapalua, and try to wrangle a visit to Lanai to get Manele in.

• 2 weeks later...

Makena on Maui is up there with the Plantation.

Makena is private only now from what I believe, but yes it is an awesome course. I drove up there last year just to look around and it looks like they still have some of the old course holes open (right next to the hotel) just to woo people to buy in I guess, and there is an awesome looking downhill par 3 right overlooking the ocean.

Back to the original topic ...

Yeah go for the 2-3 day pass at Kapalua as raynorfan mentioned. Kapalua is a 5-10 min quick drive from Kaanapali (vs approx one hour to Wailea) so you can get done and back to the wife without causing too many problems. If you were saying in Kihei, the Wailea 3 day pass would be great, but it's a bit of a headache to make that drive from Kaanapali each day. If you wanna make your golfing time count just stick to Kapalua and avoid Kaanapali with your coworkers. Just tell them your sick and skip out on that.

Kapalua also has a nice free 18 hole grass putting course at the golf academy by the bay course, as well as a nice walking trail throughout the Kapalua resort down to the dragons teeth/DT Fleming beach.

I was told that our company was going to book a round at the plantation course with a small group, but that has turned into a round at the Ka'anapali Royal course with a decent size group. To be perfectly honest, I am thinking about skipping out and doing my own thing. Almost everyone on here has mentioned that Ka'anapali is the typical resort course, and one to skip. I have never been to Hawaii, and I think I would have a lot more fun playing other courses. Am I crazy?

My problem is that golf takes a long time, and I don't want to leave my wife by herself the whole vacation, so if I am going to golf I want to make it count.

I am thinking about buying the 2 day or 3 day pass for Kapalua, and playing 2 -3 rounds each day (2 Plantation rounds for every round at the Bay course) But I am also looking into the 3 day pass at Wailei. Or, playing Plantation once, Wailei Emerald, and Kahili or Maui Nui. I would like to play King Kamehameha, but I don't have a connection to play it.

have fun in maui, Im not sure but I think Kapalua will possibly be aerating end of may, I would ask them.

Current "Bag of Tricks"

Driver:  Callaway Maverik 10.5 "Tour Issue" Single Diamond w/Graphite Designs AD-VR5 S 

3W:  Taylormade M1 3HL w/Graphite Designs AD-DI 6 S

Utility:  Taylormade GAPR 3 Low w/Graphite Designs AD-DI 95 S tipped 1"  

Irons:  Miura CB-301 4-PW, SHIMADA S-Shafts, ELITE grips

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey  SM6 F 52/12,      SM7 F 56/14,       SM6 M 60/08 Copper Lmt. Ed.

Putter:  Scotty Tei-22 Fastback 1.5   34"  

Ball:  Titleist Pro V 1X  

have fun in maui, Im not sure but I think Kapalua will possibly be aerating end of may, I would ask them.

Yeah they are. They have about 2 to 3 weeks of recovery before I play, so I think it will be fine?

Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Makena is private only now from what I believe, but yes it is an awesome course. I drove up there last year just to look around and it looks like they still have some of the old course holes open (right next to the hotel) just to woo people to buy in I guess, and there is an awesome looking downhill par 3 right overlooking the ocean.

Yeah go for the 2-3 day pass at Kapalua as raynorfan mentioned. Kapalua is a 5-10 min quick drive from Kaanapali (vs approx one hour to Wailea) so you can get done and back to the wife without causing too many problems. If you were saying in Kihei, the Wailea 3 day pass would be great, but it's a bit of a headache to make that drive from Kaanapali each day. If you wanna make your golfing time count just stick to Kapalua and avoid Kaanapali with your coworkers. Just tell them your sick and skip out on that.

Kapalua also has a nice free 18 hole grass putting course at the golf academy by the bay course, as well as a nice walking trail throughout the Kapalua resort down to the dragons teeth/DT Fleming beach.

Excellent information, thank you!

The walking trail would be perfect to take the wife. Im trying to convince her to come on the course with me a couple times, the views should be worth it.

Yeah Im trying to get a feel for how the company would feel about me skipping their golf. My wife thinks I should go to keep everyone happy, but I can't help but think I'll be comparing it to Kapalua the whole time. Oh well, if I go, I'll just enjoy the fellowship.

Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

The walking trail would be perfect to take the wife. Im trying to convince her to come on the course with me a couple times, the views should be worth it.

Yeah Im trying to get a feel for how the company would feel about me skipping their golf. My wife thinks I should go to keep everyone happy, but I can't help but think I'll be comparing it to Kapalua the whole time. Oh well, if I go, I'll just enjoy the fellowship.

What dates are you playing ? We might be there at the same time lol ( thought it was July but it's June )

What dates are you playing ? We might be there at the same time lol ( thought it was July but it's June )

I believe I will be playing June 5, June 7, and June 10. Will you be there?

Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

I'll there the week after .. make the course friendly for me!

Bummer, it would have been fun to play with another wrx member. I'll be posting pictures of the course. I might even play the Bay course once to see what it's like.

When I played out at Prairie Club in western Nebraska I actually preferred the Pines course to the much higher ranked Dunes course. Both were excellent though.

If the Kapalua courses are different styles it might be fun to switch it up.

Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

I'll there the week after .. make the course friendly for me!

Bummer, it would have been fun to play with another wrx member. I'll be posting pictures of the course. I might even play the Bay course once to see what it's like.

When I played out at Prairie Club in western Nebraska I actually preferred the Pines course to the much higher ranked Dunes course. Both were excellent though.

If the Kapalua courses are different styles it might be fun to switch it up.

It would have been.. well

Our wives will enjoy the cart rides I guess

Yeah they are. They have about 2 to 3 weeks of recovery before I play, so I think it will be fine?

Greens should be good by then, besides you'll be awed with the breathtaking views and probably wont notice the greens :-)

Current "Bag of Tricks"

Driver:  Callaway Maverik 10.5 "Tour Issue" Single Diamond w/Graphite Designs AD-VR5 S 

3W:  Taylormade M1 3HL w/Graphite Designs AD-DI 6 S

Utility:  Taylormade GAPR 3 Low w/Graphite Designs AD-DI 95 S tipped 1"  

Irons:  Miura CB-301 4-PW, SHIMADA S-Shafts, ELITE grips

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey  SM6 F 52/12,      SM7 F 56/14,       SM6 M 60/08 Copper Lmt. Ed.

Putter:  Scotty Tei-22 Fastback 1.5   34"  

Ball:  Titleist Pro V 1X  

• 2 weeks later...

I played Kapalua Plantation course several times instead of trying Wailea or the Bay Course. I don't regret it for one second. I swear the course got more fun each time I played it.

I took some pictures using my cell phone, so they aren't great, but they aren't terrible either.

0605170715_zpsyeryxa1k.jpg

FB_IMG_1497285748260_zpshxbzw0sf.jpg

0605170758b_HDR_zpsf1vqb6og.jpg

0605170801_zps9vmipdeg.jpg

0605170820_zpscpemt7g2.jpg

0605170815_zpsd40rtdrn.jpg

0605170944_zps6wo5nbro.jpg

0607170829c_zpscq84xscd.jpg

0607170830c_zpsocqu139j.jpg

0607170854_zpslpund24e.jpg

0607170952_zps4fcdelx0.jpg

0607171037a_zpseeyy6lw7.jpg

0610170904e_zpsp7wuqjfi.jpg

FB_IMG_1497285773331_zpsevnb3pq9.jpg

Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

I played with my brother the first day and he wanted to play from the regular tees, so I played form there as well. It was fun, but it definitely played shorter. I had wedges into plenty of holes, and I hit every par 5 in two shots (on hole 5 I hit driver 8 iron to the green) It's still a test though, and many holes will be into a stiff wind and play long. There is a par 3 that plays 180-190 even from the yellow/regular tees. Manageable for pretty much everyone, but still plenty of length to make it a test.

I played my last two rounds from the back/championship tees. (scorecard said 7700+, but I'm sure that's from the very rear of the tips) Where I had wedges into plenty of holes when playing it up my first round, I had a lot more 6, 7, and 8 irons (and a few hybrid second shots) from the tips. That being said, I thought it was more fun playing from where the pros play (or close to where they play I guess) I actually played really well for the most part, I think it made me focus more.

I think most wrx members would enjoy playing from the Championship Tees. (especially since everyone on here hits a 300 yard 3 wood lol) But in all seriousness, I hit a hybrid over 330 yards on hole 17. The slope was severe, and the wind was at my back. But if yI had hit it to the right and didn't get the slope I would have had a 225+ second shot. So if you can hit a draw, go at it. I now understand why pros are hitting irons on that hole. The first day I drove a 3 wood through the fairway, I learned my lesson from that!

Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Maui and loved the plantation course as well. Played the back tees as well and found the course very fair even into the wind. Fun hitting 325 yard tee shots when my regular tee shots are 280-290. Staff was very nice, course was well maintained and tee times were spread apart enough that I felt like I was alone out there. Wish I brought my own sticks but Jimmy's Maui Golf rentals had Ap2s which I play and I used some old Cleveland 900 wedges they had (man those are still great). 913 driver 3 wood and hybrid worked dwell

even with no range or warm up time . Finished in four hours which was a plus as well! Can't wait to play again one day in the future.

Anybody know what kind of conditions to expect in early August? Currently planning on playing Princeville Makai and the Plantation course at Kapalua, but let me know if should switch one out or consider other courses

Plantation will be looking good. Aeration is schedule for the 1st week of September.

WITB 2019:

Callaway Epic Flash Sub 0 Driver
Callaway Rogue 3-wood
Callaway Apex MB 3-PW
Chrome 4 Wedges 52 & 56
Ping Anser No.5 Putter

Anybody know what kind of conditions to expect in early August? Currently planning on playing Princeville Makai and the Plantation course at Kapalua, but let me know if should switch one out or consider other courses

Plantation will be looking good. Aeration is schedule for the 1st week of September.

I played 2 weeks (about) after aeration and the greens rolled just fine.

Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S