Faldo Returns

Matt J

In my previous life, I worked for an oem that sponsored Faldo, and I met him in the mid 90s. All I had ever seen was the golf course robot, so I was shocked to learn he had a personality (a good one) off the course.

Many say that, work was work but away from golf he was a very pleasant guy. Read somewhere, he changed and more relaxed around media people etc when his kids first arrived.

One story that made me laugh was his old caddy Andy prodger in the mid 80s. Andys sole on his shoe had come away and was flapping around making a noise while walking down the fairways. Faldo just asked what's wrong with his shoe/trainer, so Andy showed him. Anyway, faldo went into his bag and there was a few money bungs with elastic bands round them. Pulls off the elastic band so the money was free....Andy thinking 'wow, the gaffer is going to give me some money the buy a new pair of trainer's

Faldo just pasted him the elastic band and told him to put it around his flapping trainer!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He did when he was young, had a long willowy swing. But in majors when the pressure was in he felt it broke down. Hence swing rebuild and leadbetter.... To do that with an already successful swing takes some guts, but he wanted to do it to hit the ball lower and straighter and the rest is history.

I think he would have won a major or 2 with his old swing but not 6, and well never know. But seve and faldo are the reason I play golf, just watching them at the Masters and open got me hooked in the late 80s

Faldo was the one I wanted to emulate, but secretly I envied Woosnam's swing. Faldo was technical, Woosnam just made it look easy. The same could be said of Lyle, but I think he was already starting to struggle by the time Faldo became the dominant force in European golf.

He was a precision player. It seems like he just did not adjust (or did not want to adjust) when the equipment changed. He went from 262 driving distance in 1993 to 273 in 2003, while other guys his size like Els, VJ, and Phil all went from around 270 to over 300 yards. Granted he was a little older, but not that old. He kept himself in good shape and seemed like he should have been able to hit it bigger if he wanted to. If you look it up, he averaged 287 or so on only 4 measured tee balls in 2009.

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

He was a precision player. It seems like he just did not adjust (or did not want to adjust) when the equipment changed. He went from 262 driving distance in 1993 to 273 in 2003, while other guys his size like Els, VJ, and Phil all went from around 270 to over 300 yards. Granted he was a little older, but not that old. He kept himself in good shape and seemed like he should have been able to hit it bigger if he wanted to. If you look it up, he averaged 287 or so on only 4 measured tee balls in 2009.

He was able to hit it bigger for sure in 1980 he won British long drive championship with a drive of 306 yards edging out Langer who hit it 305. Of course he was a lot younger then but the equipment would have more than negated that I would imagine given he kept himself in good shape as you said.

He was able to hit it bigger for sure in 1980 he won British long drive championship with a drive of 306 yards edging out Langer who hit it 305. Of course he was a lot younger then but the equipment would have more than negated that I would imagine given he kept himself in good shape as you said.

I'm not surprised by that. I don't know if he has ever discussed it as I don't follow all this stuff very closely. I'm more of a casual observer. It seemed like he tooled his game to precision, and did not want to go bomb and gouge - and therefore went into announcing. But that is just a guess. I wish him well and will be interested to see if he goes after it when he plays.

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

That is correct when saying he wasn't worried about distance. He played courses based on what shot he felt left him with the best opportunity to minimize trouble. I am honestly stunned he never won a US Open as he is a USGA wet dream when it comes to how they like or think they want you to play the game. Even though he was like a robot and tactician'r I would say he was an artist and he painted his shots onto the course with beautiful strokes.

I remember reading somewhere he played for one semester at Univ. of Houston and after that one semester he realized it was not for him and he told the coach he was returning home to play professionally (Dave Williams the "father of college golf") and Coach Williams said good luck you won't make much of a living being a pro...Guess coach williams got that one wrong.

The story I was told by a few people that would know its validity said the reason Faldo left was the fact he wasn't getting along with his teammates and didn't like all the team stuff. I won't mention the mans name but the straw that broke the camels back came in a qualifier. Faldo and the man I know who has one of the most successful amateur careers in Texas were paired together in a qualifier and they were playing and from what it sounds like Faldo wasn't taking the entire round very serious. If he missed a putt from 12 feet and it went 3 feet past he would walk up and slap it at the hole and miss some make some but he wasn't treating it like a true competitive round. Him and the guy I know get done and Coach Williams says "how it go"...Faldo says " not bad Coach I shot 72" and the other guys says " No I have you for an 83" and Faldo was livid because the guy was counting every little thing he did ( The guy wasn't a fan of Faldo so he wasn't going to give him so much as an inch. haha

He did when he was young, had a long willowy swing. But in majors when the pressure was in he felt it broke down. Hence swing rebuild and leadbetter.... To do that with an already successful swing takes some guts, but he wanted to do it to hit the ball lower and straighter and the rest is history.

I think he would have won a major or 2 with his old swing but not 6, and well never know. But seve and faldo are the reason I play golf, just watching them at the Masters and open got me hooked in the late 80s

Faldo was the one I wanted to emulate, but secretly I envied Woosnam's swing. Faldo was technical, Woosnam just made it look easy. The same could be said of Lyle, but I think he was already starting to struggle by the time Faldo became the dominant force in European golf.

Boy sandy could hit a ball. Went watching him at Fulwood and he was hitting these 3-2 irons between rugby posts.....boy I was impressed. To this day I've never seen a better ball striker than sandy

I saw Feherty's comedy show when he came to town a couple weeks ago. Two guys he doesn't appear to be fond of are Faldo and Monty. Talked about how cheap Faldo was with his caddies. Speaking of Faldo's caddy, I was at the tourney in New Orleans in the early nineties. It was at English Turn. Faldo was walking to the first tee (roped off area) to start his round and his caddy Fanny decided to cut through the crowd. Next thing I know his Mizuno's were into my left thigh. Fanny said oh sorry there. Fortunately I had a cold beer to relieve my pain.

First time I've ever checked the Champions' Tour leaderboard, haha.

Seems Sir Nick played pretty well. Hopefully he'll keep teeing it up in public.

I actually find the Champions Tour more entertaining lately.

Titleist 915 9.5 with Blueboard 73x
Titleist 915F 13 with Blueboard 83x
Titleist 712MB 4-9
Vokey SM4 46,52, 60
Vokey SM5 56
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 33"

Hey, I was out there watching a bit today. Followed the Couples and Pavin group though. Didn't see Faldo at all.

Talk about an artist, Pavin hits every shot about 10 feet high and carries his driver about 230 and he's out there playing some good golf.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

Even par after 36 is not bad for a guy who's really not a competitive player anymore. Hopefully he's just out there to have some fun and is doing so.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

first player to intimidate everyone , Norman was not the same golfer in his group , but brutal slow.

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

I still think the two iron he hit on 13 at the Masters in '96, when he came back against Norman, was one of the best shots I ever saw. Especially under the circumstances. Norman was in the trees right and was forced to lay up. Faldo was debating between 5 wood or 2 iron. Downhill lie with the ball above his feet from 230. The shot ended up like 45' from the hole, but I remember Faldo saying he felt like that was the dagger into Norman's heart. Just an awesome shot under that pressure, with that lie and water in front of the green.

I still think the two iron he hit on 13 at the Masters in '96, when he came back against Norman, was one of the best shots I ever saw. Especially under the circumstances. Norman was in the trees right and was forced to lay up. Faldo was debating between 5 wood or 2 iron. Downhill lie with the ball above his feet from 230. The shot ended up like 45' from the hole, but I remember Faldo saying he felt like that was the dagger into Norman's heart. Just an awesome shot under that pressure, with that lie and water in front of the green.

The noise of the strike wad simply stunning...what a sweet noise!

2 other shots hit under same pressure was his 2 three iron shots in 89 masters to beat hoch at 11, and 92 Muirfield at 18! In fact his last 4 holes in 92 is to this day the best 4 holes of golf I've ever seen. To say I've got to play the best 4 holes of my life and then go and do it, boy it days bucket loads about the guy!