Spieth reminds me of Tom Watson

NevinW

These bash Jordan threads are getting seriously old. Was talking to my buddies today I played with and one of them is a pga tour player and one of the things I mentioned was how people say he isn't long, which I found odd, and 2 of the 3 guys have played some golf with Jordan and the one on tour said "what? not long? wow, then I don't know what long is cause Jordan is definitely not a short hitter or hell even average...He won't be considered the longest or long but he sure isn't a short or average hitter"

As for Tom Watson being an inconsistent iron player...are we talking about the same Tom Watson who publicly claimed he didn't miss the sweet spot on his irons for 9 straight years? I'm not saying he was the best iron player but pretty sure he was better than inconsistent.

Jordan has a ton of talent and as people have said the harder you work the luckier you get. Jordan won the CB&I AJGA event here in The Woodlands 2 out of the 3 times he played and every single person who had an interaction with him found him to be a well spoken, mature, polite young man...and yes I know the tournament director so they have talked about how great he was I know them because her husband is my dentist and is a USGA rules official. they have always spoken highly of Jordan.

I am a big big believer in Karma, especially in golf...at the beginning of this year there was a bunch of hub bub about pace of play. Jordan was one that people included in the discussion of needing to speed up. How did he handle it? He acknowledged that he was a slower player and said he was working hard to get better at playing faster and reduce the amount of OCD things he did before pulling the trigger. He also basically apologized to fellow tour players saying he didn't want to be the reason why someone was playing bad and felt genuinely remorseful. Now look at Jason Day and he basically flipped the middle finger at everyone and said F you all, I will take how ever F^cking long I want...pretty sure mr. can't make a cut would love to have that Karma train come back to the station. Or did he miss the cut because he had a hang nail? maybe his eyelashes were misplucked or he didn't wipe his Word not allowed enough and now his butthole itches...Always an excuse with Jason all Day where as with Jordan he owns it and says he will play better next because he knows he disappointed the people who came to watch him. That is who I want people to see when they see the PGA tour. I know you can't return a blazer out of spite but sure as $hit hope he wins a ton of tournaments out of it.

LOL, that's like a whole complain about Day thread in one post!

Not complaining, just laughing.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have yet to see Jordan express his frustrations towards anyone but himself. There is a huge difference between him and Bubba.

I've also yet to see Spieth cheat on his wife who has cancer with a fellow player's wife.

I have yet to see Jordan express his frustrations towards anyone but himself. There is a huge difference between him and Bubba.

I've also yet to see Spieth cheat on his wife who has cancer with a fellow player's wife.

did Watson really do that? Just asking, because wow, that's bad

These bash Jordan threads are getting seriously old. Was talking to my buddies today I played with and one of them is a pga tour player and one of the things I mentioned was how people say he isn't long, which I found odd, and 2 of the 3 guys have played some golf with Jordan and the one on tour said "what? not long? wow, then I don't know what long is cause Jordan is definitely not a short hitter or hell even average...He won't be considered the longest or long but he sure isn't a short or average hitter"

As for Tom Watson being an inconsistent iron player...are we talking about the same Tom Watson who publicly claimed he didn't miss the sweet spot on his irons for 9 straight years? I'm not saying he was the best iron player but pretty sure he was better than inconsistent.

Jordan has a ton of talent and as people have said the harder you work the luckier you get. Jordan won the CB&I AJGA event here in The Woodlands 2 out of the 3 times he played and every single person who had an interaction with him found him to be a well spoken, mature, polite young man...and yes I know the tournament director so they have talked about how great he was I know them because her husband is my dentist and is a USGA rules official. they have always spoken highly of Jordan.

I am a big big believer in Karma, especially in golf...at the beginning of this year there was a bunch of hub bub about pace of play. Jordan was one that people included in the discussion of needing to speed up. How did he handle it? He acknowledged that he was a slower player and said he was working hard to get better at playing faster and reduce the amount of OCD things he did before pulling the trigger. He also basically apologized to fellow tour players saying he didn't want to be the reason why someone was playing bad and felt genuinely remorseful. Now look at Jason Day and he basically flipped the middle finger at everyone and said F you all, I will take how ever F^cking long I want...pretty sure mr. can't make a cut would love to have that Karma train come back to the station. Or did he miss the cut because he had a hang nail? maybe his eyelashes were misplucked or he didn't wipe his Word not allowed enough and now his butthole itches...Always an excuse with Jason all Day where as with Jordan he owns it and says he will play better next because he knows he disappointed the people who came to watch him. That is who I want people to see when they see the PGA tour. I know you can't return a blazer out of spite but sure as $hit hope he wins a ton of tournaments out of it.

LOL, that's like a whole complain about Day thread in one post!

Not complaining, just laughing.

the irony was not lost on me OR my wife. I wrote this out and walked away to do something and she read it and said "wow you sure jump everyones case about how they complain about Jordan and you make fun of that Jason Day guy...you should retype that thing"...I said " You should stop reading what I type on golfwrx or your already weary opinion of me will get worse. hahaha

Spieth is just the latest flash in the pan. If he is still winning 5, 10 years from now, it might be possible to start comparing him to Tom Watson.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

Spieth is just the latest flash in the pan. If he is still winning 5, 10 years from now, it might be possible to start comparing him to Tom Watson.

Flash in the pan? He has 10 wins and 2 majors before his 24th birthday. He is already 1/4th of the way to reaching Watson's win totals.

Watson didn't even win his first tour event until he was 25.

Maybe you should take him down to see Slicefixer, he'd get him straightened out. :nyam: I mean he only has 10 wins and 2 majors. :cheesy:

His swing still sucks.

No 12 Augusta

Okay. Well that one is hard to argue. But love the player, hate the swing.

One would have to actually hit that shot on 12 at Augusta to know anything other than what you hear and see on television. There is carnage every day during the Masters, every year.......LOL

Maybe you should take him down to see Slicefixer, he'd get him straightened out. :nyam: I mean he only has 10 wins and 2 majors. :cheesy:

His swing still sucks.

No 12 Augusta

One would have to actually hit that shot on 12 at Augusta to know anything other than what you hear and see on television. There is carnage every day during the Masters, every year.......LOL

Im curious

Did Jack or TW ever hit water on 12?

His swing still sucks.

No 12 Augusta

Im curious

Did Jack or TW ever hit water on 12?

Neither went in the water, but Jack hit his tee shot in the final round in 1964 short of Rae's Creek and made bogey and lost to Arnie by two. In his last 9 charge in 1986, Jack three putted #12 for his only bogey.

I don't recall either putting it in the water on #12 in the final round while in contention.

Bobby Jones was threatening to get into contention at the first Masters when he knocked it into the creek on #3 (now #12) and made a double bogey.

Gene Sarazen made an 8 in 1952 and withdrew on the spot.

Defending champion Arnold Palmer had the lead coming into #12 in 1959, hit it in the water, made a six and lost what had been a five shot lead at the turn. Art Wall Jr. won that year and young "Mr. Flash in the Pan" from Latrobe, PA was never heard from again.

Neither went in the water, but Jack hit his tee shot in the final round in 1964 short of Rae's Creek and made bogey and lost to Arnie by two. In his last 9 charge in 1986, Jack three putted #12 for his only bogey.

I don't recall either putting it in the water on #12 in the final round while in contention.

Bobby Jones was threatening to get into contention at the first Masters when he knocked it into the creek on #3 (now #12) and made a double bogey.

Gene Sarazen made an 8 in 1952 and withdrew on the spot.

Defending champion Arnold Palmer had the lead coming into #12 in 1959, hit it in the water, made a six and lost what had been a five shot lead at the turn. Art Wall Jr. won that year and young "Mr. Flash in the Pan" from Latrobe, PA was never heard from again.

Tom Weiskopf made a 13 on #12 at Augusta in the first round of the 1980 Masters. In Rae's Creek off the tee and rinsed 4 more from the drop area.

Watson didn't even win his first tour event until he was 25.

Watson turned pro at 22. People didn't turn pro at age 19 in the early 1970's. That said JS early career accomplishments most certainly

are better than Tom's. How it turns out only time will tell.

Yes. Watson finished second in The Open at 59 years old. I'll wait a couple of decades before I compare any of these Millennials to Watson.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

Interesting comparison. I think most people forget that it took Watson a number of years to learn how to close out a tournament. In the early part of his career, there were a number of tourneys he lost coming down the stretch. Once he figured out how to close, he became one of the all-time greats.

Spieth's learning curve on winning was a lot shorter, but I think the jury is still out on whether he can consistently win tournaments year after year.

• 4 weeks later...

Not even close yet.

Correct. At 23 years old JS is much more accomplished than Watson, if my math is correct Tom didn't win his first PGA even till he was 25 years old. However.....things changed rapidly for in the next season. From 1975 to 1985 Tom won all of his majors and the bulk of his tour events. Basically 26 to 36 years old.

Tom is one of my favorite players of all-time, for the record, and I have no idea if JS will ever achieve that kind of greatness, but I do think it is an interesting comparison.

They cannot be compared on age-based achievements as Tom Watson went to college.

Srixon Z355 - Miyazaki
Taylormade V-Steel 4-wood
Taylormade V-Steel 7-wood
Adams CB3 - KBS Tour 90
Wilson Staff FG TC 56/60
Yes Callie - bunch of lead tape on the bottom

Tom attended and graduated from Stanford. Jordan attended Texas for 1 1/2 years, Tiger just two at Stanford, so yes, college should be taken into consideration. Nicklaus didn't graduate but attended OSU.

Like Jordan says, trying to say he (or anyone else) is Tiger, Jack, Tom, whatever doesn't do much. He's got his own identity and doesn't have to "be" the next anyone or win so many majors in such a time.

His career so far is off to one of the best starts ever in history and is already more accomplished than most careers.

i think over time, his record in the open will be better than his record at augusta ... he can play really well in adverse conditions, which will be more prevalent in the uk than at augusta ... not saying his game doesn't favor augusta, at all ...

I hear what your saying..... I just think his game travels and travels very well.....he beat the field at the TOC by 8 on a presumptive bombers course....a very special player he is.....

I used to read the same thing about Watson back in the day but it all must have come from people who never actually saw him hit the ball in person. He was a great ball striker and he was LONG. He hit the ball as well and as solidly as anyone in the world at the time. He was definitely no fluke, same as Jordan Spieth. People who've never seen him in person can say that, especially because we see every shot he hits and he's in the hunt so often. When most of the top players are out of it, we don't see their poor shots. Go on YouTube and watch some of the blooper videos. You'll see DJ and JD hit some of the worst shots imaginable. It's just that we always expect a low round out of Spieth so the camera's always on him, a little like Tiger. There's no doubt that he's one of those guys who performs best and produces near miraculous shots when under pressure. Half of his wins have come that way....with numbers like that, it stops being a fluke. Tiger did it too...like at Pebble in '00 when he made up five shots on the back nine. Was that luck? When the wins start racking up into the double digits, that argument starts to fall flat. Anyway, golf is all about the numbers. You get no videos with the results. Jordan is FIRST in strokes gained from the fairway and GIR, and nowhere near the top in SG putting and scrambling even though that's what sticks in most people's minds. He's also got the lowest scoring average on Tour. Numbers don't lie.

I used to read the same thing about Watson back in the day but it all must have come from people who never actually saw him hit the ball in person. He was a great ball striker and he was LONG. He hit the ball as well and as solidly as anyone in the world at the time. He was definitely no fluke, same as Jordan Spieth. People who've never seen him in person can say that, especially because we see every shot he hits and he's in the hunt so often. When most of the top players are out of it, we don't see their poor shots. Go on YouTube and watch some of the blooper videos. You'll see DJ and JD hit some of the worst shots imaginable. It's just that we always expect a low round out of Spieth so the camera's always on him, a little like Tiger. There's no doubt that he's one of those guys who performs best and produces near miraculous shots when under pressure. Half of his wins have come that way....with numbers like that, it stops being a fluke. Tiger did it too...like at Pebble in '00 when he made up five shots on the back nine. Was that luck? When the wins start racking up into the double digits, that argument starts to fall flat. Anyway, golf is all about the numbers. You get no videos with the results. Jordan is FIRST in strokes gained from the fairway and GIR, and nowhere near the top in SG putting and scrambling even though that's what sticks in most people's minds. He's also got the lowest scoring average on Tour. Numbers don't lie.

Numbers can be informative and they can also be deceiving. JS has a great short game no matter what the numbers say. How do I know this, well just watch him, and watch him when it matters most. That's what you need to know. Not the rounds when he is out of contention etc. Numbers are only part of the picture.

I would love to see stats during Seve's prime, he is regarded as one of the greatest ever, but statistically was he? Sometimes the "eye test" is the best.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Numbers can be informative and they can also be deceiving. JS has a great short game no matter what the numbers say. How do I know this, well just watch him, and watch him when it matters most. That's what you need to know. Not the rounds when he is out of contention etc. Numbers are only part of the picture.

I would love to see stats during Seve's prime, he is regarded as one of the greatest ever, but statistically was he? Sometimes the "eye test" is the best.

Enjoyed watching Jordan working until dark on the range at the 2016 Masters, last guy out there. Lots of short game, then went to far right with his coach. Watched him hitting one wedge for awhile to different distances, working on ball flight, or so it appeared. Not like he's the only one that works, they all do, but watching him work on short game and wedge shots was pretty cool. Only a small sample size from only a handful of days at different tournaments, but other guy that impressed me working on short game, at a different tournament was Sergio. Love watching pros hit shots I think I can relate to.