Colorado WRX 2017

brianhorne8

Joel - thanks again for the fox hill info. We didn't sniff being in contention but i had your notes with my pin sheet and they were helpful.

Also your prediction about scores was dead on. 70 was medalist. The 2 71s made it through and the 72s played off for alternate spots.

Good course and I think it's great for tournament golf and also think it'd be a great match play course.

The kid I carried for fought a two way miss all day. Normally a cutter but hit a lot of hooks and blocks all day :-/ and on top of that nothing fell. Only one big number all day but then lots of bogies from out of position off the tee or missing the green and putts not falling.

The two other young guys in our threesome were a year and two years old and both CSU commits. The one made it through with 71 and the other had a putt hang on the lip on our 18th hole for 71 (he didn't get through the alternate spot play off). They were good kids and it was fun to watch them play. Shows the kiddo from my club where he needs to be in the next few years if he wants to play at that level.

Back at it for me this morning. I've had a few good rounds lately and limped home a 79 with doubles on 17 and 18 Saturday. Hoping to get into a good spot again and finish stronger. Game is definitely trending.

I'm glad I could help. I'm not surprised the medalist was 70; it's a tough track. Not only do you need to be striping it, you need to be shaping your shots exactly how you want also. It's definitely more of a tee shot golf course.

Glad to hear the game is coming around too!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the ultimate mail day today. Since we all know it's not the player, but the equipment in golf...I fully expect to be a + handicapper soon.

7swaCRwl.jpg

F7UufHul.jpg

66XDHnzl.jpg

XXPmfCCl.jpg

My wedges were missing, but a quick phone call and TM's customer service was right on it. Going to re-build them and overnight them to me soon. I'm a huge collector of things; records, blu rays, bikes, etc...but I can honestly say this has been the best package I've ever received in my life. I'm beyond excited to get out there and hit them...although I kinda don't even want to take the plastic off all the heads yet. They're just so pretty.

If anybody wants to get out Sunday, you can watch me shoot a season-high 90-something as I get adjusted to the new sticks.

Had the ultimate mail day today. Since we all know it's not the player, but the equipment in golf...I fully expect to be a + handicapper soon.

7swaCRwl.jpg

F7UufHul.jpg

66XDHnzl.jpg

XXPmfCCl.jpg

My wedges were missing, but a quick phone call and TM's customer service was right on it. Going to re-build them and overnight them to me soon. I'm a huge collector of things; records, blu rays, bikes, etc...but I can honestly say this has been the best package I've ever received in my life. I'm beyond excited to get out there and hit them...although I kinda don't even want to take the plastic off all the heads yet. They're just so pretty.

If anybody wants to get out Sunday, you can watch me shoot a season-high 90-something as I get adjusted to the new sticks.

That's a nice setup!

I too got some new toys in...didn't get great pictures because I was too excited to race to the range and hit them. (I've had the hybrid for a few weeks now.) Playing Walnut Creek tomorrow, so we'll see how adjusting to the irons goes. At least from hitting them at the range though...damn. I'm in love. True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 shafts. Next stop...new driver and fairway wood, and my bag should be set.

Some nice looking sticks as well! And honestly, I don't even want to go to the range at all with these clubs. Those balls are just so hard.

And yeah, it's the DI-6 Black.

3 wood is DP-7 Black.

Hybrid is DI-85 Hybrid.

I've been gaming the MT-6 in my current driver, and it's been the longest and straightest. So even if the DI doesn't work out, I can swap it for my MT.

Nice sticks for both of you! Not gonna lie...a bit of jealousy on my end lol.

I just ordered my hybrid earlier this week, so hopefully I can join the cool kids to inevitably shoot better scores soon :)

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Nice sticks for both of you! Not gonna lie...a bit of jealousy on my end lol.

I just ordered my hybrid earlier this week, so hopefully I can join the cool kids to inevitably shoot better scores soon :)

You know, it's a perfect scenario. If I shoot well, I can say the new sticks helped. If I don't, I can just blame adjusting to new clubs :cheesy:

Meant to tell you the other day both good luck with match play and take pictures of this course in Sweden! The one with the insanely tight fairways?

I may not be playing that course this year, but I definitely will if I do!

Nice. Not going to play RTJ like I thought we would, but here's the local course we are playing. Some of these holes (at least on the walkthrough) look tight. Reminds me just a little of how narrow you said that place in Sweden is.

http://www.columbusg...lcreek/west.htm Open the West course with a par 5 that's the #1 handicap. Lol. Should be silly watching my dad and brother get after it.

01.jpg

Gonna be quite an adjustment playing with trees around.

ASak10....curious to see how you like the Apex irons, I have the previous gen and don't see them leaving my bag anytime soon. They feel like butter on the good shots and provide enough feedback on the bad ones despite not losing much distance or accuracy. Sometimes it feels like cheating to be honest.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

7swaCRwl.jpg

F7UufHul.jpg

66XDHnzl.jpg

XXPmfCCl.jpg

I'll be curious how you like the flat lie of the m2 tour.

I have a M2 tour 16.5 with an ADGP 8TX and it was really hook prone. I had to put like 7 or 8 strips of lead tape out on the toe and now it's great.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

ASak10....curious to see how you like the Apex irons, I have the previous gen and don't see them leaving my bag anytime soon. They feel like butter on the good shots and provide enough feedback on the bad ones despite not losing much distance or accuracy. Sometimes it feels like cheating to be honest.

Early review, but after one range session and one round, I completely agree. The distance I am gaining is just stupid. For example, number 7 at Walnut today was playing 170 something. Need to carry water and being short is not good due to a big slope towards the water. With my old clubs, I hit a 6i there all day. But after the range session I knew I was gaining about 2 clubs of distance. So I grab the 8i, hit it on the green, Arccos tells me it went 180. Now granted I know lofts may be different and all that jazz...but man was it fun to have a short iron on that length par 3.

You're spot on with how the clubs react. Hit it square and it feels like you didn't even hit the ball. Hit one off the toe? No big deal, it'll still go about 90% and just slightly off line. You could say I'm smitten :air_kiss:

I'll be curious how you like the flat lie of the m2 tour.

I have a M2 tour 16.5 with an ADGP 8TX and it was really hook prone. I had to put like 7 or 8 strips of lead tape out on the toe and now it's great.

That'll hopefully be good for me. I lose the ball right more often than not. My 770's are actually 2.5 flat and 1/2" short. And I think that's the perfect combo for me. The sole of the club seems to be sitting pretty flush and flat on the ground now at address.

Also, my 2 Milled Grind wedges came in today. So now my bag is 13/14ths TaylorMade (Scotty still holding strong, although a Spider might be creeping in soon).

Congrats on the new stick fellas.

I hit the CF16 at CC when I did my fitting. Man were they long... almost too long if there is such a thing. My normal 6i is ~180 carry. I was carrying the Apex 202 on average. To me, that's nice but creates a huge gap at the bottom of my bag. For me, I need/like to have everything gapped out accordingly. I didn't think the additional gains in distance was worth the price of needing to by 2 or possibly 3 new wedges. That being said, if I found a driver that gave me those gains I'd pay double for it :P Just my opinion, there is no right or wrong way as we all need to be comfortable with the makeup of our own bags.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

^^^

To piggy-back off that discussion of gapping; what's everyone's set up look like?

D: 9.5°

3w: 15

3hy: 19

3i: 20.5

4i: 23

5i: 26

6i: 29.5

7i: 33

8i: 37

9i: 41.5

PW: 46

GW: 52

SW: 56

I feel like that all is pretty evenly spaced. Maybe a big leap between my PW and GW though. My old set's PW was 47°, but the new irons are just ever-so-slightly stronger.

I go :

Driver - Titleist 915 D3 10.5*

3w - Titleist 915fd 15*

3i - Titleist T-MB 20*

4i - Titleist T-MB 23*

5i - Mizuno JPX900F 24*

6i - Mizuno JPX900F 27*

7i - Mizuno JPX900F 31*

8i - Mizuno JPX900F 35*

9i - Mizuno JPX900F 40 *

PW - Mizuno JPX900F 45*

GW - Mizuno JPX900F 50*

SW - Vokey SM5 54* F-grind

LW - Vokey SM6 58* K-grind

I know there is only 1* between the 4 & 5 but on the course they are 10-12 yards apart in carry.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

Congrats on the new stick fellas.

I hit the CF16 at CC when I did my fitting. Man were they long... almost too long if there is such a thing. My normal 6i is ~180 carry. I was carrying the Apex 202 on average. To me, that's nice but creates a huge gap at the bottom of my bag. For me, I need/like to have everything gapped out accordingly. I didn't think the additional gains in distance was worth the price of needing to by 2 or possibly 3 new wedges. That being said, if I found a driver that gave me those gains I'd pay double for it :P Just my opinion, there is no right or wrong way as we all need to be comfortable with the makeup of our own bags.

Had the exact same experience. Feel was great, just ridiculously long. It was pretty easy to land in that sweet spot with my JPX 850s at that point...and a little less expensive, surprisingly. Now wishing I'd taken even less distance for those oh so pretty MP5s...but I'm pretty happy. Apex are really, seriously good though. Enjoy the new sticks!

I am enjoying them.

I went thru a shaft change but now they are money. I tried graphite (Recoil 95s) since I had some tennis elbow last season but just couldn't get along with them. Went back to my old standby (KBS Tour) and love them. I've probably picked up 1/2 club over my old 825Pros but I feel my misses are less penal.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

^^^

To piggy-back off that discussion of gapping; what's everyone's set up look like?

Here's my gapping with rough yardages for each.

Driver - 10.5* 285yds

3w 14.5* probably 265yds

5w 17.5* ~250yds

4h 22* Hoping for it to be around 225yds. Just ordered it

5i 27* 205-210yds

6i 31* 190-195yds

7i 35* 180yds

8i 39* 165yds

9i 43* 150yds

PW 47* 135yds

Wedges 52/56/60 115/100/85yds

I think my gapping is pretty good overall except the bottom of my bag. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I purchased my wedges this year. I knew there was a bigger gap than I wanted between PW and my wedges. I should have went 50/54/58, and I still may bend my 52 and 56 a degree or two since they have enough bounce.

I have thought about ditching my 3 and 5w for a 4w, but I kind of like the setup I currently have where my 3w is more of a piercing ball flight and my 5w is higher for a softer landing.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Driver - Ping G20 10.5*

4w - Tour Edge XCG4 - 16.5*

4h - Tour Edge XCG6 - 22*

6i - TM Psi 27.5*

7i - TM Psi 31.5*

8i - TM Psi 35.5*

9i - TM Psi 40.5*

PW - TM Psi 45.5*

GW - Callaway MD3 - 50* S-grind

SW - Callaway MD3 - 56* C-grind

I have bigger gaps than most people at the long end of the bag. I find that I do better with less choice. I'm overly analytical, and mess my brain up debating when I'm in between clubs. With bigger gaps it's easy. 185-195 is 4h. 210-220 is 4w. If i'm at 205, I just have to decide which is scarier, long or short. Not to mention I couldn't hit long irons for a s*** anyway... :lol:

Same thing with wedges. I quit the idea of having a 60* wedge, because I'd over think my choices, and also with the super high loft I'd get cute too often. Now, 50* is for full swing 90-100 yards, and if I need a low chip that I want to run out. All other short game shots around the green it's the 56*. My short game has gotten much better, since I've decided to just learn my way around with one club, and figuring out how to use it to get different trajectories and spins.

I'm probably in the minority, but I prefer to take out the longer clubs for several reasons....I play 50% of my rounds on a par 62. I generally hit every club in my bag except my 3-wood. I really need to learn how to hit that club or just take it out. I have more confidence to swing my driver at 80% than to hit my 3-wood full.

But even on a regulation course, once I get past about 215-220, its everything I have anyway so I don't need to carry a bunch of clubs that go far. Longest iron I carry is a 5 and I will hit it up to about 200-205 yards. (total not carry)

I like to have options when it comes to shots inside of 100. My SW is 55 degrees and I will hit it anywhere from 90-105 out. I have a 60 and 64 in the bag and use both quite a bit. I use the 60 for most stock shots around the greens, but will go to the 64 for green side bunkers (unless its a really long shot, like front bunker w/back pin) or anytime I short-side myself. I envy guys who can chip using the bump and run method, but for me it is just something I can't do with any consistency. I like to hit it a little higher with less roll out, so the 60 works well for that.

Carrying 5 wedges probably seems like overkill, but for me it works. I don't really ever use the PW, AW or SW around the greens though.

but yes having too many options can actually hurt most recreational players I think. I know that I when I used to use my 64 more than necessary I would get into some bad habits. It really should be more of "in case of emergency break glass" club. You are up against the lip of the bunker? use it. You flew the green and now are in the rough, and hitting to a pin with all downslope behind it? use it. You pulled it 20 yards left and now have a 50 foot tree in-between you and the green? use it. But I think it is not an easy club to hit a standard chip with, so don't over use it. For most people same could be said with the 60 degree.

Man, I need some serious help out of bunkers. Just do not have any consistency when practicing from them.

I have found only one true solution to become a great bunker player.....just never hit a ball into them. :tongue:

My bunker game is great one day and terrible the next. I have also learned that the better "soft and fluffy" the sand is, the better I am out of them. I played at Bear Dance earlier this season and was in them 3 times, two of those times I looked like Spieth, the other was also decent. Put me in some hard sand and look out....like literally look out cause I might just hit you in the face.

Just got the official word that I get the 4th off. That just means an extra day of golf! Very happy.

Nice, I have to keep turning down golf invites for Sunday - Tuesday. Wife and I booked a last minute Vegas trip. Also men's league followed by couples league tomorrow will help ease the pain a little as well.

Have fun and hit em straight to those who are playing this weekend. Or if you are psuedoswede, hit them with your normal 40 yard hook.

Standard Ping S56 lofts.

Driver - 9°

3W - 14°

3 iron - 21°

4 iron - 23.75°

5 iron - 27°

6 iron - 30.5°

7 iron - 34.25°

8 iron - 38.25°

9 iron - 42.5°

PW - 47°

GW - 52°

SW - 56°

LW - 60°

Basically 4°(-ish) progression.

What's interesting is that my biggest distance gap is between my 6 & 7 irons. I hit my 6 a shade over 200, and my 7 in the low 180's. Although, I absolutely crushed a 7-iron on 17 at Murphy Creek. Laser said 215 with the wind, I ended up almost pin-high*.

* - Yes, on the green about 18 feet from the pin**.

** - Yes, I missed the birdie putt.

I'm really tempted to get rid of the 3W and get a 64° wedge. I'm sad that Ping doesn't make one.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Or if you are psuedoswede, hit them with your normal 40 yard hook.

Remember that I'll be near sea-level, so it'll be a 80-yard hook! :D

Just wait 'til you hit 40. Ow. This is the first year that I have pain in my hips after I golf. That can't be good.

I'm pleased to report that my last four rounds of golf have been hip pain-free. :) My knees, that's another story.

Man, I need some serious help out of bunkers. Just do not have any consistency when practicing from them.

I have found only one true solution to become a great bunker player.....just never hit a ball into them. :tongue:

My bunker game is great one day and terrible the next. I have also learned that the better "soft and fluffy" the sand is, the better I am out of them. I played at Bear Dance earlier this season and was in them 3 times, two of those times I looked like Spieth, the other was also decent. Put me in some hard sand and look out....like literally look out cause I might just hit you in the face.

Yeah, that's my MO and why you didn't see me in any at Riverdale! I'm almost the same; so hot and cold. I do most of my practicing at City Park and their sand is like concrete most days, so my confidence is typically shattered. If I only have one greenside bunker shot to pull off per round, I'm usually fine. Just step up and whack it. Fairway bunkers...no biggie.