Colorado WRX 2017

brianhorne8

A friend of mine just got us on at Rolling Hills on Sunday. I'm pretty stoked! Hopefully my game is on, though I know putting will be challenging with the faster greens.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on the new stick fellas.

I hit the CF16 at CC when I did my fitting. Man were they long... almost too long if there is such a thing. My normal 6i is ~180 carry. I was carrying the Apex 202 on average. To me, that's nice but creates a huge gap at the bottom of my bag. For me, I need/like to have everything gapped out accordingly. I didn't think the additional gains in distance was worth the price of needing to by 2 or possibly 3 new wedges. That being said, if I found a driver that gave me those gains I'd pay double for it :P Just my opinion, there is no right or wrong way as we all need to be comfortable with the makeup of our own bags.

This is an excellent point, and I did think about this a lot before pulling the trigger. To me the distance gains and other improvements were worth it, and I think my current wedge setup takes care of some of the bottom of the bag issues. I also decided not to get a 4i for now, we'll see if I stick with that. I figured I would make that decision after getting the new driver and fairway, which will be sometime in the next few weeks. I hope. Here's the current setup:

Driver - Taylormade R11 9.5*

3w - Bridgestone JGR 15*

3h - Cobra F7 19*

5i - Callaway Apex 24*

6i - Callaway Apex 27*

7i - Callaway Apex 31*

8i - Callaway Apex 35*

9i - Callaway Apex 40 *

PW - Callaway Apex 45*

AW - Callaway Apex 50*

Mizuno MP-T4 52* bent to 50* (did this before I got the Apex AW)

Mizuno MP-T4 56*

Callaway PM Grind 60*

I actually like having the 50* AW and 50* Mizuno. I hit the Mizuno 110-120 with a full swing, but the AW is 130-140. So it fills a decent gap between the AW and 56*. I rarely take a full swing with wedges anyway, and from about 120 and in I've been hitting really low flighted half swing pitch shots to try to get better distance control. So the setup seems to be working for now.

^^^

To piggy-back off that discussion of gapping; what's everyone's set up look like?

D: 9.5°

3w: 15

3hy: 19

3i: 20.5

4i: 23

5i: 26

6i: 29.5

7i: 33

8i: 37

9i: 41.5

PW: 46

GW: 52

SW: 56

I feel like that all is pretty evenly spaced. Maybe a big leap between my PW and GW though. My old set's PW was 47°, but the new irons are just ever-so-slightly stronger.

I've had s56's in the bag this year but am trying something different this week. Traveling so only brought a half set of my old Eye2's. I think the gaps will be fine, just about twice what I am used to ...

Driver

7 wood

4, 6, 8, and Wedge (at 50 degrees)

56 and 60

Putter

Will be interesting to see the results this year. When I tried this last year my scores actually went down.

drn92

This is in my wife's hometown, I've played that course (it's actually 27 holes) many times.

http://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/elk-calf-chases-swedish-golfer-karlstad-golf-club

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Got out with my new clubs today, ended up shooting my best 9 hole, and 18 hole score. Like, ever.

xvs6xGv.jpg

I'm not feeling the new driver as of now. Drives today ranged from 178 yards (First tee, no range balls, was running late) to 282 yards. My controllable 5-10 yard fade turned into a 20-30 yard slice that was just bonkers to see in the air.

Iron distances are a bit strange. Stronger lofted clubs, but I'm coming up 5-10 yards short on a lot of approaches. Fortunately today, my "miss" was still on the green...just longer putts to the hole. Had no 3 putts, which was great.

Going to swap a few shafts around in the driver head to see what the issue is. I know one thing, is that it feels a LOT lighter weight. Like the swing weight feels more like in the C range. The shaft I got also feels real real whippy towards the tip, especially for being a stiff flex.

Oops, should have included that. Overland. Slope is only 118, so not a tough course by any means. But hey, a 74 is still a 74. Still made the putts!

A 74 at Overland is impressive if for no other reason than the fact you didn't fall asleep due to boredom. :)

Seriously though, great shooting!

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

It was a tough day for me. I seemed to be off all day with club selection. Was leaving it short on the front. Then hit a couple pin high on 10 and 11 and thought it was going to turn around, but nope hit a couple over the green after that. But what do you do when your iron play is bad? Well buy a new putter of course!

I tried out a fellow men's league member's DJ putter on the practice green and bought one before couples league. (Don't worry, it cost me $0 out of pocket)

Shot 1 over so it must have worked I guess... yes I need help. I might just have an addiction to putters.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

Oops, should have included that. Overland. Slope is only 118, so not a tough course by any means. But hey, a 74 is still a 74. Still made the putts!

A 74 at Overland is impressive if for no other reason than the fact you didn't fall asleep due to boredom. :)

Seriously though, great shooting!

Or get mauled by Canadian geese.

Had a 10 on the second hole of men's club on Saturday, proceeded to hit a 6 iron out of bounds and then smoked a house OB and got yelled at by an old lady. Sucks when you have a bad hole early as a 1 because there's basically not enough recovery out there. Eagled 18 to shoot 79. What a blah day at men's club, not even in the conversation. Guys I played with shot 65 and 67.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Anybody interested in playing Commonground next Saturday? I haven't played over there in a couple of years, and have been wanting to get back and check it out again.

I just snagged a 4-some at 8am on 7/8 if anyone would like to join. Figured I'd grab the tee time while it's available and see about getting a group together.

^^^

To piggy-back off that discussion of gapping; what's everyone's set up look like?

D: 9.5°

3w: 15

3hy: 19

3i: 20.5

4i: 23

5i: 26

6i: 29.5

7i: 33

8i: 37

9i: 41.5

PW: 46

GW: 52

SW: 56

I feel like that all is pretty evenly spaced. Maybe a big leap between my PW and GW though. My old set's PW was 47°, but the new irons are just ever-so-slightly stronger.

I'm a little weird with my gapping. I've done it to get nice, even gaps out there and also to fill in the ~50 yard hole between my 3w and 3i when I first built my competitive set a few years ago. I ended up putting a 2h in and pulling a 4i since it was 7 yards longer than my 5i.

Driver: 9* - 330 yards

3w: 15* - 298

2h: 17* - 270

3i: 20* - 252

5i: 25* - 226

6i: 29.5* - 213

7i: 34* - 192

8i: 38* - 173

9i: 42* - 161

PW: 46* - 151

AW: 50* - 132

SW: 54* - 114

LW: 60* - 96

First and foremost, these numbers are mostly hard swing numbers. Most of these, especially wedges, I don't like to hit that hard.

As you can see, pulling my 4i caused me to strengthen my 5i and 6i to smooth out the gapping. My signature has the make and model of my sticks.

Got out with my new clubs today, ended up shooting my best 9 hole, and 18 hole score. Like, ever.

xvs6xGv.jpg

I'm not feeling the new driver as of now. Drives today ranged from 178 yards (First tee, no range balls, was running late) to 282 yards. My controllable 5-10 yard fade turned into a 20-30 yard slice that was just bonkers to see in the air.

Iron distances are a bit strange. Stronger lofted clubs, but I'm coming up 5-10 yards short on a lot of approaches. Fortunately today, my "miss" was still on the green...just longer putts to the hole. Had no 3 putts, which was great.

Going to swap a few shafts around in the driver head to see what the issue is. I know one thing, is that it feels a LOT lighter weight. Like the swing weight feels more like in the C range. The shaft I got also feels real real whippy towards the tip, especially for being a stiff flex.

Congrats brother! Good playing. 15 greens is an awesome number, close to the hole or not.

Had a 10 on the second hole of men's club on Saturday, proceeded to hit a 6 iron out of bounds and then smoked a house OB and got yelled at by an old lady. Sucks when you have a bad hole early as a 1 because there's basically not enough recovery out there. Eagled 18 to shoot 79. What a blah day at men's club, not even in the conversation. Guys I played with shot 65 and 67. ��

Senior, those are some very low numbers for a men's league. I have a couple questions for you about your home track (I'm assuming it's HRGC) for my qualifier there Thursday.

1. Any gotcha's or advice that could help?

2. What do you think the number range will need to be out there (90 entrants for 15 spots)?

Anyone know a good course to play very early one weekday morning near Aurora while the wife sleeps in at the hotel?

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

Had a 10 on the second hole of men's club on Saturday, proceeded to hit a 6 iron out of bounds and then smoked a house OB and got yelled at by an old lady. Sucks when you have a bad hole early as a 1 because there's basically not enough recovery out there. Eagled 18 to shoot 79. What a blah day at men's club, not even in the conversation. Guys I played with shot 65 and 67. ��

Senior, those are some very low numbers for a men's league. I have a couple questions for you about your home track (I'm assuming it's HRGC) for my qualifier there Thursday.

2. What do you think the number range will need to be out there (90 entrants for 15 spots)?

90 for 15 at HRGC.... I would guess you need 74 or better assuming a standard tipped out setup. Maybe even 73.

90 for 15 at HRGC.... I would guess you need 74 or better assuming a standard tipped out setup. Maybe even 73.

This is for the CO Open so we're talking pros too. Last two years when I tried at Legacy Ridge the line was 70. I'm not sure if HRGC is easier or harder.

This is for the CO Open so we're talking pros too. Last two years when I tried at Legacy Ridge the line was 70. I'm not sure if HRGC is easier or harder.

yep I'm aware of the field. And HRGC should play a touch harder than Legacy.

yep I'm aware of the field. And HRGC should play a touch harder than Legacy.

Hopefully being the first qualifier instead of the last two will make the field a touch easier also :-)

Got to play Rolling Hills in Golden yesterday. It was a very fun, but humbling experience. I have never played a private course, so the greens pretty much owned me being so fast and undulating (shot a 96 with 44 putts, gasp!). The course isn't very long, but well laid out. I can't wait to play it again with hopefully better results!

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Highlands Ranch is public isn't it? Kids just went under contract on a house just south of the course, might be one I'll get to try soon.

Yes it's public. Hopefully you do! I'll be trying it tomorrow, lol.

Good luck. Still want to over and get a round with you at your course.

Half our regular group is gone for most of July so I'm thinking I may make it over that way a few times.

Highlands Ranch is public isn't it? Kids just went under contract on a house just south of the course, might be one I'll get to try soon.

Half our regular group is gone for most of July so I'm thinking I may make it over that way a few times.

Let me know! Hopefully I qualify for everything and my weekends are all full this month. If not, then I'll be free. Give me a shout ahead of time and hopefully we can work something out.

Let me know! Hopefully I qualify for everything and my weekends are all full this month. If not, then I'll be free. Give me a shout ahead of time and hopefully we can work something out.

Sounds good. More likely I'll be there during the week.

Couple things. They were originally going to play the black tees all around and have recently switched to playing the new DU tees on most of the 4s and 5s and then regular blacks on the 3s. I have a couple friends playing it and they were thinking the number would be 70 or 71. Greens were 11ish yesterday and were really smooth. This number may go up if they get them closer to 13 but I'm guessing you'll need something under par with 4 par 5s.

Hole by hole:

1: Generally out in front of you: green has a general left-right back to front slope. Prefer to be low-side and right side for your putt.

2: OB right: work the ball off the bunker on the left. Key to this hole is the green is bisected and severely left-right. This green will ruin some people's day. You want everything on the right side putting back to the left and you want to be front or back with wherever the pin is. I would rather chip from off the green right than to have a putt from 7 feet left of the hole.

3. more room left than you think off the tee. Another left to right, back to front green. Get your ball right of the pin and you should have a good aggressive putt at birdie.

4. Plays 5 yards downhill and a lot of times can have some hidden tailwind. This is a right to left, front to back green. I like my ball on the left side of the pin but I typically will play middle and putt to the sucker pins on the side.

5. 10 yards downhill. 4 quadrant green. Its hard lag putting green so I try to hit whatever quadrant the pin is and play this hole aggressively where more people try to just hit the middle.

6. Drivable. There is a spine in the middle of the green is over the left side of the bunker and it breaks to each side from there. I make a lot more birdies when I'm on the right 1/2 of the spine. Long right is typically pretty safe.

7. Lots of options off the tee but I typically play 3 iron between the two bunkers. If they have you way back it might be driver. Another big left to right green. Have to have ball right of pin. Left of the green is almost guaranteed bogey. Play to the middle if the pin is way back.

8. Hit whatever shot gets you to 120-135. It narrows pretty significantly 120 in. Green is funky but nothing particular.

9. Most good players will hit their tee shot over the big tree on the right and play up 18. If you're right of the fairway bunker it takes about 15 yards off the hole. Second shot plays 8 uphill. The beams on the deck behind the green is the middle of the green and a good line.

10. More room right than you think. Left to right green but pretty simple. Good place to fire at the middle of the green because flag hunting can result in a big number. Don't hook the second shot 40 yard left and 50 yards long because you'll hit my house.

11. Basic downhill par 5. birdie time.

12. Tee ball has more room right than you think. Try a couple different lines. Big back to front green with a spine in the middle. Should have a wedge so hit one close.

13. Nothing special here. Try to get on the right tier (duh).

14. Something just short of the fairway bunker opens up the landing area a bit. HUGE left to right green. I've written this a couple times but this one is the most extreme. Have to putt from the right of the pin (below the hole).

15. Straight away par 4. If they have you on the tee box way back and right of the others the line is further to the right than it looks.

16. The tallest tree on the right is a good aim. Pretty straightforward, green is sloped but you'll see. False front left is a little mean.

17. I like middle of the green especially since you'll be either 230 or 200. Don't get greedy here.

18. Tee ball is straightforward. Second shot is about 8 uphill. Get a feel for this green in the practice round.

I don't like the bunkers on this course so I generally play away from them.

Good luck and let me know if you have any specific questions about the course.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Sounds good. More likely I'll be there during the week.

Perfect. I'll be free most days in the afternoon. The only days I might not be would be thursday and friday the next three weeks. If I don't qualify for the CO Open then it will only be two weeks i'm booked.