Colorado WRX 2017

brianhorne8

Senior, those are some very low numbers for a men's league. I have a couple questions for you about your home track (I'm assuming it's HRGC) for my qualifier there Thursday.

1. Any gotcha's or advice that could help?

2. What do you think the number range will need to be out there (90 entrants for 15 spots)?

Couple things. They were originally going to play the black tees all around and have recently switched to playing the new DU tees on most of the 4s and 5s and then regular blacks on the 3s. I have a couple friends playing it and they were thinking the number would be 70 or 71. Greens were 11ish yesterday and were really smooth. This number may go up if they get them closer to 13 but I'm guessing you'll need something under par with 4 par 5s.

Hole by hole:

1: Generally out in front of you: green has a general left-right back to front slope. Prefer to be low-side and right side for your putt.

2: OB right: work the ball off the bunker on the left. Key to this hole is the green is bisected and severely left-right. This green will ruin some people's day. You want everything on the right side putting back to the left and you want to be front or back with wherever the pin is. I would rather chip from off the green right than to have a putt from 7 feet left of the hole.

3. more room left than you think off the tee. Another left to right, back to front green. Get your ball right of the pin and you should have a good aggressive putt at birdie.

4. Plays 5 yards downhill and a lot of times can have some hidden tailwind. This is a right to left, front to back green. I like my ball on the left side of the pin but I typically will play middle and putt to the sucker pins on the side.

5. 10 yards downhill. 4 quadrant green. Its hard lag putting green so I try to hit whatever quadrant the pin is and play this hole aggressively where more people try to just hit the middle.

6. Drivable. There is a spine in the middle of the green is over the left side of the bunker and it breaks to each side from there. I make a lot more birdies when I'm on the right 1/2 of the spine. Long right is typically pretty safe.

7. Lots of options off the tee but I typically play 3 iron between the two bunkers. If they have you way back it might be driver. Another big left to right green. Have to have ball right of pin. Left of the green is almost guaranteed bogey. Play to the middle if the pin is way back.

8. Hit whatever shot gets you to 120-135. It narrows pretty significantly 120 in. Green is funky but nothing particular.

9. Most good players will hit their tee shot over the big tree on the right and play up 18. If you're right of the fairway bunker it takes about 15 yards off the hole. Second shot plays 8 uphill. The beams on the deck behind the green is the middle of the green and a good line.

10. More room right than you think. Left to right green but pretty simple. Good place to fire at the middle of the green because flag hunting can result in a big number. Don't hook the second shot 40 yard left and 50 yards long because you'll hit my house.

11. Basic downhill par 5. birdie time.

12. Tee ball has more room right than you think. Try a couple different lines. Big back to front green with a spine in the middle. Should have a wedge so hit one close.

13. Nothing special here. Try to get on the right tier (duh).

14. Something just short of the fairway bunker opens up the landing area a bit. HUGE left to right green. I've written this a couple times but this one is the most extreme. Have to putt from the right of the pin (below the hole).

15. Straight away par 4. If they have you on the tee box way back and right of the others the line is further to the right than it looks.

16. The tallest tree on the right is a good aim. Pretty straightforward, green is sloped but you'll see. False front left is a little mean.

17. I like middle of the green especially since you'll be either 230 or 200. Don't get greedy here.

18. Tee ball is straightforward. Second shot is about 8 uphill. Get a feel for this green in the practice round.

I don't like the bunkers on this course so I generally play away from them.

Good luck and let me know if you have any specific questions about the course.

First off, thanks for the details! I'm going to print it off and bring it with me. If you see a Jackass reading a big sheet of paper when they walk by you will know who it is :-).

#9 - Is this line into the green from #18?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Senior, those are some very low numbers for a men's league. I have a couple questions for you about your home track (I'm assuming it's HRGC) for my qualifier there Thursday.

1. Any gotcha's or advice that could help?

2. What do you think the number range will need to be out there (90 entrants for 15 spots)?

Couple things. They were originally going to play the black tees all around and have recently switched to playing the new DU tees on most of the 4s and 5s and then regular blacks on the 3s. I have a couple friends playing it and they were thinking the number would be 70 or 71. Greens were 11ish yesterday and were really smooth. This number may go up if they get them closer to 13 but I'm guessing you'll need something under par with 4 par 5s.

Hole by hole:

1: Generally out in front of you: green has a general left-right back to front slope. Prefer to be low-side and right side for your putt.

2: OB right: work the ball off the bunker on the left. Key to this hole is the green is bisected and severely left-right. This green will ruin some people's day. You want everything on the right side putting back to the left and you want to be front or back with wherever the pin is. I would rather chip from off the green right than to have a putt from 7 feet left of the hole.

3. more room left than you think off the tee. Another left to right, back to front green. Get your ball right of the pin and you should have a good aggressive putt at birdie.

4. Plays 5 yards downhill and a lot of times can have some hidden tailwind. This is a right to left, front to back green. I like my ball on the left side of the pin but I typically will play middle and putt to the sucker pins on the side.

5. 10 yards downhill. 4 quadrant green. Its hard lag putting green so I try to hit whatever quadrant the pin is and play this hole aggressively where more people try to just hit the middle.

6. Drivable. There is a spine in the middle of the green is over the left side of the bunker and it breaks to each side from there. I make a lot more birdies when I'm on the right 1/2 of the spine. Long right is typically pretty safe.

7. Lots of options off the tee but I typically play 3 iron between the two bunkers. If they have you way back it might be driver. Another big left to right green. Have to have ball right of pin. Left of the green is almost guaranteed bogey. Play to the middle if the pin is way back.

8. Hit whatever shot gets you to 120-135. It narrows pretty significantly 120 in. Green is funky but nothing particular.

9. Most good players will hit their tee shot over the big tree on the right and play up 18. If you're right of the fairway bunker it takes about 15 yards off the hole. Second shot plays 8 uphill. The beams on the deck behind the green is the middle of the green and a good line.

10. More room right than you think. Left to right green but pretty simple. Good place to fire at the middle of the green because flag hunting can result in a big number. Don't hook the second shot 40 yard left and 50 yards long because you'll hit my house.

11. Basic downhill par 5. birdie time.

12. Tee ball has more room right than you think. Try a couple different lines. Big back to front green with a spine in the middle. Should have a wedge so hit one close.

13. Nothing special here. Try to get on the right tier (duh).

14. Something just short of the fairway bunker opens up the landing area a bit. HUGE left to right green. I've written this a couple times but this one is the most extreme. Have to putt from the right of the pin (below the hole).

15. Straight away par 4. If they have you on the tee box way back and right of the others the line is further to the right than it looks.

16. The tallest tree on the right is a good aim. Pretty straightforward, green is sloped but you'll see. False front left is a little mean.

17. I like middle of the green especially since you'll be either 230 or 200. Don't get greedy here.

18. Tee ball is straightforward. Second shot is about 8 uphill. Get a feel for this green in the practice round.

I don't like the bunkers on this course so I generally play away from them.

Good luck and let me know if you have any specific questions about the course.

First off, thanks for the details! I'm going to print it off and bring it with me. If you see a Jackass reading a big sheet of paper when they walk by you will know who it is :-).

#9 - Is this line into the green from #18?

Yes

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

http://deadspin.com/...eden-1796603633

pseudoswede, be safe out there!

I posted it on the previous page. I've played that course. :) The biggest animal I've seen is a fox. :(

http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry15797708

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Can't wait to hear about Joel's round. Played on Tuesday with him, and I feel like he will come in pretty low with this course. The par 5's are definitely birdie holes. Hopefully it wasn't TOO hot out there.

I saw you guys on 10, you were way too concentrated. One of my friends was like, damn look at that guy's ponytail!

Scores were low= 63 was medalist, 69 got top 15 to get in.

My friends who are members were 73, 75, 76, and it looked like Joel was 76 as well. I'll be curious to hear how the course played.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

63? Geez. I'm excited when I shoot 83 at HRGC. What's the course/tournament record?

On a separate note... anyone interested in playing Sunday? My wife's out of town until Monday, so I'm hoping to play a bunch the next few days. Playing Riverdale for the first time with a buddy of mine on Saturday. Still looking for something on Sunday.

Playing Inverness today for the first time. I've heard mixed things but my buddy who poo poo'd it doesn't like "short" courses. The best part is I'm playing it again on Monday in one of those pro-ams and my wife works right off the 5-6th holes so I get to make her jealous.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

So I was supposed to play the golf course with the extremely tight fairways yesterday, but I threw out my back on Thursday putting stuff away in the freezer. :( My back feels better now, but I'm sure I'm going to test it going to an amusement park on Monday (with the highest-rated wooden roller coaster outside the US--#12 in the world).

Looks like I'll be playing the golf course with the "dangerous" baby elk on Wednesday with my brother-in-law. :)

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

For those of us who were at Monte's clinic, you probably remember my glaring swing fault of sucking arms in and getting super high hands and throwing the clubhead out at the ball, sometimes resulting in a shank.

Now, two months post-Monte, here is where I'm at - still a long way to go, and still some swing faults, but it just looks and feels so much better too. :D

So I was supposed to play the golf course with the extremely tight fairways yesterday, but I threw out my back on Thursday putting stuff away in the freezer. :( My back feels better now, but I'm sure I'm going to test it going to an amusement park on Monday (with the highest-rated wooden roller coaster outside the US--#12 in the world).

Looks like I'll be playing the golf course with the "dangerous" baby elk on Wednesday with my brother-in-law. :)

Hope the back's feeling better. Take plenty of treats to pacify the elk!

Also, let me know how the coaster was. I used to be a HUGE rollercoaster guy.

Good luck today Joel!

Ditto!

Can't wait to hear about Joel's round. Played on Tuesday with him, and I feel like he will come in pretty low with this course. The par 5's are definitely birdie holes. Hopefully it wasn't TOO hot out there.

I saw you guys on 10, you were way too concentrated. One of my friends was like, damn look at that guy's ponytail!

Scores were low= 63 was medalist, 69 got top 15 to get in.

My friends who are members were 73, 75, 76, and it looked like Joel was 76 as well. I'll be curious to hear how the course played.

Yep, 76 for me. Just not my day out there. I was even through 7 but had an ugly bogey run from 8-13. Missing greens with wedges due to some TERRIBLE distance control and my short game was the worst it has been in months. Just one of those days that I didn't have it, which is how golf works.

Even if I grinded it out my best hope was to shoot even with the game I woke up with that day.

Also, sure, 69 was the line, but it was an 11 man playoff for one spot! Effectively, 68 was the number needed.

I do like the course. The greens definitely demand attention and are the primary defense of that golf course.

For those of us who were at Monte's clinic, you probably remember my glaring swing fault of sucking arms in and getting super high hands and throwing the clubhead out at the ball, sometimes resulting in a shank.

Now, two months post-Monte, here is where I'm at - still a long way to go, and still some swing faults, but it just looks and feels so much better too. :D

Looking good. I'll try to get me on video to see if there is any improvement.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

anyone headed to tiara rado this weekend for the west chapter? Any info on the course would be much appreciated. anytime i'm in GJ i just end up playing Redlands... also where the heck are the pairings, c'mon CGA.

SIM 2 9° AD IZ 6X
SIM Ti 3w 15° AD DI 7X
SIM Ti 5w 18° AD DI 7X

SIM2 Rescue 4 22° Nippon GOST X

RSi UDI 4 DGTI 120 S400
P7MC 5-PW DGTI S400
MG 52, 58 DGTI S400
Spider Tour Copper 34"

anyone headed to tiara rado this weekend for the west chapter? Any info on the course would be much appreciated. anytime i'm in GJ i just end up playing Redlands... also where the heck are the pairings, c'mon CGA.

Wish I was but last weekend before my wife and kids are away for a few weeks. I know Joel is in.

Nice, should be a nice sweaty time.

SIM 2 9° AD IZ 6X
SIM Ti 3w 15° AD DI 7X
SIM Ti 5w 18° AD DI 7X

RSi UDI 4 DGTI 120 S400
P7MC 5-PW DGTI S400
MG 52, 58 DGTI S400
Spider Tour Copper 34"

Bummer, didnt know Monte was here for a clinic!

Yep, I'll be out there. The course is shortish. The front is pretty narrow with almost no drivers. The back nine is a bit longer and more open with a lot more drivers. I'll comment some more about a few specific holes in another post.

Yep, I'll be out there. The course is shortish. The front is pretty narrow with almost no drivers. The back nine is a bit longer and more open with a lot more drivers. I'll comment some more about a few specific holes in another post.

sweet thanks. just looking at the scorecard it definitely looks short. curious about how the greens roll.

SIM 2 9° AD IZ 6X
SIM Ti 3w 15° AD DI 7X
SIM Ti 5w 18° AD DI 7X

RSi UDI 4 DGTI 120 S400
P7MC 5-PW DGTI S400
MG 52, 58 DGTI S400
Spider Tour Copper 34"

Yeah, Tiara Rado isn't "special" I don't think. However, the greens are always solid and it's a fair tournament course. The front 9 is a little weird and the back is more conventional.

Here's my quick notes on "gotcha's" from my memory:

1. fairway is more right then it looks, but OB is also right. Left edge of the fairway is at the big tree to the left of the green.

2. Very short par 5 (465 yards). I recommend less than driver as you can still get home in two but it has to be in the fairway or you will have tree problems. Very tight tee shot with OB right and a stream left.

4. There's a ditch about 280ish. It's only 3 feet wide and I've had my ball bounce over it a couple times. Another very tight tee shot.

5. Hit something short, 220-240 and will have a wedge in, keep it short of the pin.

6. Hit something to the corner. OB comes in closer on the left than you think. It's a three shot par 5 all day so don't get greedy and bring OB into play. Every time I've played it someone in my group went OB left (including me once).

7. Drivable par 4. Miss this green on the left.

9. Fairway is more right than it looks. However, don't test it as there is water right and you can miss it MILES left.

10. Beware of long, OB that way.

12. False front short right and dead long left.

13. BE LEFT OF THIS PIN. Green slopes HARD right to left.

14. Sand Wedge Par 3. CAN'T BE SHORT. There's a monster false front. I've seen many people chip it back to their feet and/or putt it off the green.

15. Short right of pin. Green slopes hard back to front and left to right.

17. Another crazy sloping green. This thing MOVES back to front, keep it short of the pin.

18. Fantastic risk-reward drivable par 4. I've seen many people eagle it and seen many take double or worse. Pick your poison based on how your driver feels.

Any others I didn't explain I won't need to, they're right in front of you.

Also, I agree on the tee times, I'm very surprised they haven't posted them yet. I already got mine for the Monday CGA Am qualifier.

Bummer, didnt know Monte was here for a clinic!

Be sure to sign up next year so he'll come back! :D

Anyone with tattoos care to comment on the trials and tribulations of playing with new ink? Getting my first tomorrow (likely inner bicep, unless the artist and I decide otherwise) and am not playing until the end of the month...but still a little worried how keeping the irritation to a minimum will go.

Any advice, if you've found yourself in this situation?