New Clubs arrived - meh...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a glorious day when we golfers realize that a driver itself is a specialty club and doesn't have to be used on every 4 and/ or 5 par.

BZ

Question is, why does it take some of us 45 years to realize that? There is something inside that wants to swing as hard as I can, and crush the ball 300 yards, even tho we know I can't ever come close. Maybe if the driver was presented as a specialty club in instruction, and wasn't glorified so much in the golf world, people wouldn't struggle so much with the game. Or maybe I just missed all that information all these years....

But then again, if that were the case, who would buy all of those shiny, expensive objects?

Honestly, that is the first time I ever thought of the driver as a specialty club. On the home course, unless the fairway opens up to the right it is not the club I should be choosing.

It's a glorious day when we golfers realize that a driver itself is a specialty club and doesn't have to be used on every 4 and/ or 5 par.

BZ

Question is, why does it take some of us 45 years to realize that? There is something inside that wants to swing as hard as I can, and crush the ball 300 yards, even tho we know I can't ever come close. Maybe if the driver was presented as a specialty club in instruction, and wasn't glorified so much in the golf world, people wouldn't struggle so much with the game. Or maybe I just missed all that information all these years....

But then again, if that were the case, who would buy all of those shiny, expensive objects?

Honestly, that is the first time I ever thought of the driver as a specialty club. On the home course, unless the fairway opens up to the right it is not the club I should be choosing.

It wasn't that hard for me because I couldn't hit a driver to save my soul when I first started to play at this game. The 3W became my defacto tee club on all holes of 200 yards or greater. That really wasn't any better than hitting a driver every hole possible as the mindset was the same, just an easier club to navigate with.

Fortunately I figured out that strategic use of clubs off the tee offered advantages relatively early on. That was high lighted weekly by one of my playing partners who was that guy that hit driver every hole he could no matter what. Lost balls and penalty strokes were the order of the day not to mention always leaving himself with awkward distances to the flag that extracted a further penalty due to his abysmal short game! There's nothing like the school of hard knocks when someone else is paying the tuition!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

As I think through the front nine on the home course (where we play league) only 4, 5, & 6 would be driving holes, assuming that I am playing for the best possible miss just in case. This applies to the new Adams Blue 12* titanium.

I can hit a very nice fade that is fairly high and long when everything goes according to plan. When it doesn't, I end up with about a 30 yd slice.

So based on the idea that the driver is a specialty club and that I should be hitting the club that will put me in the best position for a quality approach shot, that limits the drivers use to three holes on the front, and just two holes on the back!

Using laminated woods changes all that, because the misses are not nearly as pronounced to the right.

I'll guess that there will be virtually no feedback, other than the ball flight, on how well the shot was struck.

It occurred to me in thinking about it, that the so-called "game improvement" clubs are actually masking swing flaws, and my experience has been that my game hasn't really improved all that much. I can hit them farther, but my scores have not come down, or do not recede steadily, gradually.

So why is that? I suspect that the new and improved technology simply lets me hit the ball farther with a bad swing. But there is very little feed back when I don't hit it well. The ball still goes, but now is in the rough. Break out the rescue club, and now the ball is in the sand. Break out the rescue wedge, and then three putt. It's a vicious cycle.

I have not noticed that much improvement in my friends who only play the latest and greatest stuff.

Amen.

That still small voice always resides within. You know, the one that whispers as we see the other members of the foursome pull the covers off their number ones. And it grows, tee box by tee box, especially fueled by that guy, you all know that guy, the one that looks as if he doesn't generate enough club head speed to carry out of his own shadow, let alone the "ladies" tees, but, hole after hole his trusty driver delivers the ball far and sure.

And somewhere around the turn that little whisper that you have been able to brush aside grows more confident, almost arrogant in its demands, until finally you have had enough.

Around 12 you lose all conscious reasoning, remove the cover from the demon stick, letting fly with a mighty swat that Casey of the Mudville Nine would have been proud of..

Instead of "Strike One," the umpire said, it's "OB right Old Chap."

That still small voice always resides within. You know, the one that whispers as we see the other members of the foursome pull the covers off their number ones. And it grows, tee box by tee box, especially fueled by that guy, you all know that guy, the one that looks as if he doesn't generate enough club head speed to carry out of his own shadow, let alone the "ladies" tees, but, hole after hole his trusty driver delivers the ball far and sure.

And somewhere around the turn that little whisper that you have been able to brush aside grows more confident, almost arrogant in its demands, until finally you have had enough.

Around 12 you lose all conscious reasoning, remove the cover from the demon stick, letting fly with a mighty swat that Casey of the Mudville Nine would have been proud of..

Instead of "Strike One," the umpire said, it's "OB right Old Chap."

Randy,

As I said before, WELCOME BACK! It's great to hear from you again!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Last night's round at league sucked bigly with the new clubs. The previous nine, last Sunday, was awesome. Potential reasons:

1. The heat

2. My pregame diet consisting mostly of carbs and very little protein

3. Feeling conflicted about which set to play

4. Carrying way too may clubs leading to physical exhaustion

5. Being in the next to last group and waiting FOREVER on every hole

6. Being somewhat unsettled about what was in the bag (combination)

7. All of the above

So it was probably a mental unsettled feeling combined with a lack of energy that led to poor performance. Just never felt right over the ball, never felt fluid, tempo and rhythm was off, and it was just plain hot. Breeze was good from time to time, but I was in the sun way too much.

Not sure I can draw any conclusions from this, but It confirmed in my mind the necessity of a good diet along with the mental side of the game.

Observations: I hit two shots that puzzle me. One was a three wood that I purposely took a nice easy swing on and blasted about 210, over everything, into the water behind the green. I have never done that before. The second was a 90 yd pitching wedge that I thought I had hit fat, completely lost sight of the ball, but that ended up about 15ft away from the flag. A horrible feeling shot that turned out good, thanks to GIT.

I knew I was in trouble when I hit a weak slice off of the first tee with my 4HY, a club I almost always hit straight. The signaled to me that I had no energy, was not focused, and too lazy. But... there seemed to be nothing I could do about it no matter how hard I tried.

I also tried to pre-script each shot, but quickly abandoned that stupid idea when it was obviously not going according to plan.

So the jury is still out on the new clubs. I may just put them away to only play after church on Sunday. Should make a good marketing slogan when I eventually sell them......

As I think through the front nine on the home course (where we play league) only 4, 5, & 6 would be driving holes, assuming that I am playing for the best possible miss just in case. This applies to the new Adams Blue 12* titanium.

I can hit a very nice fade that is fairly high and long when everything goes according to plan. When it doesn't, I end up with about a 30 yd slice.

So based on the idea that the driver is a specialty club and that I should be hitting the club that will put me in the best position for a quality approach shot, that limits the drivers use to three holes on the front, and just two holes on the back!

Using laminated woods changes all that, because the misses are not nearly as pronounced to the right.

Best round, but not my lowest scoring round, I used my Wilson Staff laminated 4 wood off every driving hole and hit every fairway on a tight course I'd never played before. Rest of my buddies had metal woods, which they could hit much farther into the rough or OB. I'll take accuracy over distance every time.

Hogan Edge 1-SW, Apex 3
Hogan Edge GS 3-PW Apex 3
Hogan Apex ll, 3-9, Apex 4
Hogan Speed Slot 1,2,4
Hogan Rail Putter

Best round, but not my lowest scoring round, I used my Wilson Staff laminated 4 wood off every driving hole and hit every fairway on a tight course I'd never played before. Rest of my buddies had metal woods, which they could hit much farther into the rough or OB. I'll take accuracy over distance every time.

AMEN Scott, AMEN!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

The range near my work has a nice little selection of irons for the unwashed masses to use that don't have their own clubs. They are a varied mix of old irons from the 70s and 80s. If I'm puring the ball fairly well, I'll go in the bin and grab something bladey to try out. About a month ago it was a VAS+ 3 iron. Clank. Couldn't hit that thing. Last week I tried out a Wilson Staff 6-iron. It's the iron that looks a lot like an FG-17 but doesn't say FG-17 on it. Oh, baby. I hit that well. Very well. Didn't go very far, though. Went higher than my current 8 iron and probably just as far.

Got a lot of satisfaction out of the round yesterday during the US Open. Paired up with a younger guy with all new stuff. He hit one of the most beautiful approach shots I have ever seen, on number 6, and ended up about 2 inches from the cup. Of course, not wanting to hit his ball with my approach (wedge) I blasted it over the green. :-)

The only "modern" club in the bag was a Titelist 975D driver that I just picked up and put a steel shaft (stiff) in. It was windy, and I wanted to try it. However, between the nine on Saturday and yesterday, I discovered the joy of hitting a 2 iron off of the tee. Kept it out of the wind, and ended up with a decent lie for the approach. On one hole I believe that the 2 iron set up the approach which set up the wedge that resulted in a one put and a par, all on a hole with an elevated and very difficult turtle back green cut into the side of a hill. So I had that going for me.

The two iron seems to be the better way to go for me. For now I am sticking with the Wilson irons, the Wilson 4, the Citation persimmon 2, the Ram wedge and the NW putter. At league I will go with the Adams 12* driver and Adams 3 wood. I have also added a SW of unknown manufacture. I might just save the Adams irons for early in the year when I am stiff, or when it gets colder this fall. But as long as I am feeling good and my aging body agrees, I'll go with the forged irons.

Just love the sound and feel of hitting that persimmon 2 wood tho. It is really sweet.

Last week I tried out a Wilson Staff 6-iron. It's the iron that looks a lot like an FG-17 but doesn't say FG-17 on it. Oh, baby. I hit that well. Very well. Didn't go very far, though. Went higher than my current 8 iron and probably just as far.

If you are comparing a fairly modern 8 iron to it I'm betting the lofts are pretty close to equal.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

• 2 weeks later...

I love my vintage stuff or older clubs more like it....but they have to be my gamers.

Played well on Sunday, whacking out 40 points on Stableford. However, I used some modern Wilson things and I was baffled... I really got confused on the iron distances. I'm not used hitting a 9 iron were I use to hit an 8 or little 7. It cost me a few times too....so Im meh to new things, as I can tell thi, me ping eye 2s are back in the bag and boy I feel much happier!

If you're interested in scoring, pick something and go with it, no matter what the vintage, new or old, your body and move will adjust and more consistency will be found. If you just like to mess around with clubs, then by all means, but scores will probably suffer. That's one of the things I love about hickory. When you find clubs that work, they stay in the bag pretty much forever. There's some tinkering of course, but nothing like the rest of the golf equipment world. I carry 9/10 clubs in my hickory play set, 5 of them have been in there for six years and 2 others for a couple of years. It's niblicks and tee clubs that seem to be the rotators. That problem can be fixed in a straightforward manner by buying a club or two from Tad. Tim loaned me a couple of reproductions for Monterey. Really, sweet, clubs. I used to be an all authentic guy but a 350 dollar authentic flanged niblick that may or may work out is...uh, no fun.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

If you're interested in scoring, pick something and go with it, no matter what the vintage, new or old, your body and move will adjust and more consistency will be found. If you just like to mess around with clubs, then by all means, but scores will probably suffer. That's one of the things I love about hickory. When you find clubs that work, they stay in the bag pretty much forever. There's some tinkering of course, but nothing like the rest of the golf equipment world. I carry 9/10 clubs in my hickory play set, 5 of them have been in there for six years and 2 others for a couple of years. It's niblicks and tee clubs that seem to be the rotators. That problem can be fixed in a straightforward manner by buying a club or two from Tad. Tim loaned me a couple of reproductions for Monterey. Really, sweet, clubs. I used to be an all authentic guy but a 350 dollar authentic flanged niblick that may or may work out is...uh, no fun.

Agree 100%. I've stuck pretty consistently to the clubs in my sig. this year and my scorecard has thanked me for the most part. For me the rotators have been putters, a flip-flop with the Sonartec or a Cobra Baffler fairway and which of my 3 hybrids (20/23/26) to carry. I haven't even bothered with carrying a full set of irons, instead sticking with the evens -- 6, 8, E. I honestly haven't missed more options.

Whenever I've pulled out any of my other sets for a hit, I've really been sadly disappointed. So much so that I'm considering downsizing the herd considerably. I still hope to go on a sort of solo heritage course tour with blades and wood woods this year, but as the calendar continues to roll over that's looking less and less likely

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa