Sand Valley

Phreddy

I got an email today saying that Sand Valley has chosen May 2nd as their opening date for 2017. I played it in "preview" mode during September of last year, and liked it a lot. The Coore & Crenshaw design would be very familiar to anyone who has played Streamsong. Erin Hills will get most of the golf writer's ink this year as host of the US Open, but this facility will quickly be mentioned consistently in the same breath as Erin Hills and Whistling Straits. May 2nd feels a long way off as I look out my window at single degree temps and a stiff wind, but for those so inclined, they are now accepting tee time reservations at:

CALL US: 888-651-5539 EMAIL US: [email protected]

* This is not a promo. I am not part of the Sand Valley staff.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

Got the email as well. Going to try and get a time set for the 2nd week of May.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

• 4 weeks later...

Fairways are generous, but if you miss them the bunkers are truly penal. It is a very pleasant course to walk, and having played it I wouldn't feel compelled to book a caddy. However, if you want to get the most out of first time around a caddy is helpful. There some choices off the tee and from the fairway that are not obvious. A little guidance was really helpful.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

• 3 months later...

Anyone who has played, have any advice on caddies? Pro shop said they have junior, adult, and pro caddies. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Ask for Dean Starr. Had him in our group today, former Champions and LPGA caddie. Just a nice guy and knowledgeable caddie.

The junior program is in its infancy, basically the next best thing to a push cart but that's where it ends.

Just a remarkable spot, I don't want to leave. 2d9aeefd8cf7436b35377c3fb931650d.jpgd90f6841aa8e4545be3c640bc296b009.jpg

Make sure your try one of these too!

3354ba7a1c3c085f831fa40f54b035a4.jpg

2b9187ca58fceb8dc20ce8efc174f1bd.jpg

SV is a great experience. We asked about mammoth and they said preview would be this upcoming fall. ZINGER good call on the junior caddies. I didn't see your post in time and we went with "Adult" caddies. Caddie was a sophomore in college, very nice kid but not a good golfer and continually gave me incorrect yardages. " yardage is 89 but it is uphill so probably playing more like 79". Anyway still a great course. Once the second course and pro shop go in this will be a top destination.

I just played it this past Sunday. Let me say the weather forecast was dead wrong. I got there with long pants and long sleeve shirt while I was on the range I ran to my car to change in shorts and a polo. Perfect weather and no wind until we got to #10 and was semi windy for the back nine and started to get really windy when I finished.

Anyways, about the course. Great course, fun, easier then Erin Hills, the straits course and black wolf run. And the cheapest out of the 3.

I used caddie named "rodeo" he was very knowledgeable.

Food there is great and cheap.

I didn't stay but I paid in the trailer and while I was leaving this past Sunday the trailer was empty and everything was moving into the pro shop.

I live in Chicago but my in laws have a place about a hour away I was up there for the weekend.

The other course if your a founder or staying over night you can play it. But doesn't officially open till next year.

If I played the course again I wouldn't use a caddie and save $80. Where as the other courses a caddie is needed especially at Erin Hills.

Great feedback guys, I stayed Friday and Saturday night. The pro shop was open on Friday night too as well as the cargo container, they were moving everything in. Grab a SV putter cover...it's a block of cheese!

I had the family but I could see myself leaving Minneapolis at 6:30 for a 10:00 tee time and driving back after.

Craig's porch is reasonably priced but Friday was opening night for the restaurant. I thought the food was a little steep BUT it was very good and well prepared.

They are working through a little rust but such a great spot. Lodging is very nicely done too.

94bafb9fb9a9e91829a8e8a1359720e1.jpg791e98c23a856d8ad8bc37bf42bb8ea9.jpg7b4a4108d73fcf539f0de5f6ac9b4a31.jpg

SV is a great experience. We asked about mammoth and they said preview would be this upcoming fall. ZINGER good call on the junior caddies. I didn't see your post in time and we went with "Adult" caddies. Caddie was a sophomore in college, very nice kid but not a good golfer and continually gave me incorrect yardages. " yardage is 89 but it is uphill so probably playing more like 79". Anyway still a great course. Once the second course and pro shop go in this will be a top destination.

Holy Spit, the range looks pretty torn up already! Was it crowded? Great reviews so far, guys. I'm heading up there in a week and a half. Can't wait.

Holy Spit, the range looks pretty torn up already! Was it crowded? Great reviews so far, guys. I'm heading up there in a week and a half. Can't wait.

I thought the same thing when I saw that picture!

The range was full when we were there. We were the second tee time so course was not crowed. Part of the driving range seconds as a alt. 6th hole for people who dont have time for 9 or 18 so I think they have been using a small area for the driving range.

Where did they end up putting the driving range? I was there last June when only the front 9 was open. At that time they were thinking between 1 and 9 where the tennis court was. And is the tennis court still there?

That's exactly where it is, as it's between 1 and 9 and I didn't see a tennis court when I was there...

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

Where did they end up putting the driving range? I was there last June when only the front 9 was open. At that time they were thinking between 1 and 9 where the tennis court was. And is the tennis court still there?

That's exactly where it is, as it's between 1 and 9 and I didn't see a tennis court when I was there...

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I got out to SV this past Saturday. It's a great track, though it's not as difficult as I would've liked. I had 75 from the black with no mullis first time seeing the course with no yardage book (not available yet?) and no caddie. Not to mention I've barely played this year and am up to a 2 hdcp.

I think it's about $100 overpriced considering it's location, it's so far from everything and has no pedigree (and probably never will IMO) besides being owned by the same owner as Bandon. I'd much rather pay a bit more to play Erin or even Blackwolf river course.

There was one dumb hole, number 6. Blind bunker in the fairway so you can't go left but right is too narrow if you hit it 290+ IIRC. (I chunked a 3 wood 200 yards)

Taylormade SIM2 8° Fuji Pro 2.0 8
Titleist 910FD 13.5° D+Plus 80
Titleist 818H2 Tensei White
Mizuno MP-5 KBS C-Taper
SM6 52/08 & SM5 58/08

Scotty Cameron SS Newport 2

I got out to SV this past Saturday. It's a great track, though it's not as difficult as I would've liked. I had 75 from the black with no mullis first time seeing the course with no yardage book (not available yet?) and no caddie. Not to mention I've barely played this year and am up to a 2 hdcp.

I think it's about $100 overpriced considering it's location, it's so far from everything and has no pedigree (and probably never will IMO) besides being owned by the same owner as Bandon. I'd much rather pay a bit more to play Erin or even Blackwolf river course.

There was one dumb hole, number 6. Blind bunker in the fairway so you can't go left but right is too narrow if you hit it 290+ IIRC. (I chunked a 3 wood 200 yards)

Im curious if it plays firm and fast "links like" with the ability to play it on the ground.... like Bandon, or if it is a "links looking" resort course which really asks for the typical aerial approach....like Streamsong. Photos look really cool.

Im curious if it plays firm and fast "links like" with the ability to play it on the ground.... like Bandon, or if it is a "links looking" resort course which really asks for the typical aerial approach....like Streamsong. Photos look really cool.

Played both Streamsong courses multiple times and I would say SV is very similar type of course.

The fairways were fast and firm but the greens were soft enough to stop long irons on them without issues. I definitely wouldn't say it's fast like a links.

Taylormade SIM2 8° Fuji Pro 2.0 8
Titleist 910FD 13.5° D+Plus 80
Titleist 818H2 Tensei White
Mizuno MP-5 KBS C-Taper
SM6 52/08 & SM5 58/08

Scotty Cameron SS Newport 2

It is a very cool course. Unlike anything I've seen in the Midwest.

The fairways are firm and fast all the way to the green but the option to play along the ground is not present on every hole and when it is, it is not always the best option.

About an hour and ten minutes away from Sand Valley is Lawsonia Links in Green Lake WI. Here is where the ground game is a viable option. Again the fairways are fast and firm and the greens are firmer that those at Sand Valley - to the point where it is difficult to find a ball mark on any greens. The approaches to the greens are generally receptive to low, running shots.

Lawsonia Links is a must play if you are in central Wisconsin - especially if you enjoy links style golf.

For the guys that have played there, when is the decision made on which "type" of caddy you get? I have a tee time for this Sunday and decided I'd request one when I booked since they were so helpful at Bandon. If I get a good caddie like we had at Bandon, I'd like one, but if it's going to be just a bag carry, I'd probably pass.

I've only played there once and found a caddy helpful. There are a couple tee shots where the preferred line is not obvious and there are also some very penal bunkers the scope of which is not apparent from your lie. Having had a caddy once I think I could navigate pretty well. But for the first round, yes, very helpful.

Phred

I think I was told to call "A few days ahead" to reserve a caddie. Three levels of caddie available, according to the website:

1.) Honor/Pro Caddie

2.) "A" Caddie

3.) Junior Caddie

When I played last month, one of our group called the day before for an Honor Caddie and ended up having to share with another in our group. We suspected he waited too long to reserve a caddie so that necessitated the double bag. Not sure how that happened, exactly, but the caddie that double bagged was excellent. Another in our group asked for an Honor Caddie and got a man on his bag who was caddying for only his second season. He was good but not Honor Caddie material, according to my friend. I went with a Junior caddie to save money. He was still learning the trade, obviously, but made my 36 day easier, physically. All three caddies had good attitudes and helped make our day more enjoyable. Booking some sort of caddie, while not a necessity, is a good idea, imo.

I got my round in yesterday. Here are my general thoughts.

-I believe I had an "A" caddie. He never told me and never gave me the comment card he was supposed to give me, but I can't see how he was an honor caddie, and he was out of college, so he wasn't a junior. He wasn't nearly as good as our caddies at Bandon or Whistling Straits in the past, but i think it was still a good idea for the first time around the course. There are a few places where a bunker is hidden off the tee, but he usually pointed it out from a previous hole where it was visible. He was not a good green reader. Twice we disagreed on whether it would break right or left...he was right the first time, but I was right the second time. By the back he didn't comment on break anymore unless I specifically asked for it.

-The course is incredible but I don't think it is nearly as good as Bandon Trails, which I'm sure will be a comparable for many. There isn't as much elevation change as one would think and there aren't a ton of holes that I found super unique. When I'm comparing my favorite courses, the best and most unique holes are the ones that stick out and I'm not sure what that is at Sand Valley. The most unique is probably the par 3 17th, which is definitely a love it or hate it. I like it, but almost feel like that green complex would work better as a drivable par 4 than as a long 3 like it is. The 10th and 18th greens are the ones I remember the most. The pin on 18 was tucked back right behind a bunker, which is a great risk/reward spot.

-Speaking of short par 4's, I thought I'd love the drivable one more. I'm typically a gambler on those types of holes, but I don't foresee many people giving it a rip. The fairway is wide and easy to place a layup. The valley in front of the green might make it play a little like playing a biarritz green where a ball carried to the valley won't make it up to the green. The mouth to the green isn't super wide compared to the bunkers defending the front, so 2/3 of the run-ups through the valley will end up in the bunkers. It's a pretty tricky green, so I liked being far enough back to hit a 3/4 wedge into it. I did hit a fun ball off the tee after the prudent play and pushed it into the lake, which theoretically should not be in play. :)

-Rather than compare to Bandon Trails, I'd compare it to Wekopa Saguaro. I feel like Wekopa has a couple throwaways (3 and 12 come to mind) that Sand Valley does not have. There are a couple comparable holes:

*Par 5 with a split fairway - there's a definite choice at Wekopa where you know one path is safer and the other is more of a gamble. Choosing the tougher tee shot forces the tougher 2nd before the payoff. Sand Valley's tougher tee shot yields the advantage immediately. SV's green complex is better. I'll call this one a wash.

*Short, well defended par 3: Wekopa's bunkering is really nice, but SV's green has more contour. I'll give Wekopa the slight advantage.

*Long par 3 with a big green: I like SV's (#17), but Wekopa's (#15) is one of my favorites.

-I have a feeling Sand Valley is not going to wind up as high on the rankings list as many would expect because it is not a very difficult course. I personally disagree that "resistance to scoring" should be a major factor in evaluation, but you can definitely attack Sand Valley for the most part. Whenever you make a layup or more prudent choice, you can usually flip the switch and be super aggressive with the next shot. If I were with some weaker players, this would be a great place to go. Everybody is going to have fun. That's a nice contrast to the 6 hour rounds at the Straits.

-Mammoth Dunes looks incredible. I didn't have time to play the 6 preview holes, but it looks stunning. I'll be back.

I got my round in yesterday. Here are my general thoughts.

-I believe I had an "A" caddie. He never told me and never gave me the comment card he was supposed to give me, but I can't see how he was an honor caddie, and he was out of college, so he wasn't a junior. He wasn't nearly as good as our caddies at Bandon or Whistling Straits in the past, but i think it was still a good idea for the first time around the course. There are a few places where a bunker is hidden off the tee, but he usually pointed it out from a previous hole where it was visible. He was not a good green reader. Twice we disagreed on whether it would break right or left...he was right the first time, but I was right the second time. By the back he didn't comment on break anymore unless I specifically asked for it.

-The course is incredible but I don't think it is nearly as good as Bandon Trails, which I'm sure will be a comparable for many. There isn't as much elevation change as one would think and there aren't a ton of holes that I found super unique. When I'm comparing my favorite courses, the best and most unique holes are the ones that stick out and I'm not sure what that is at Sand Valley. The most unique is probably the par 3 17th, which is definitely a love it or hate it. I like it, but almost feel like that green complex would work better as a drivable par 4 than as a long 3 like it is. The 10th and 18th greens are the ones I remember the most. The pin on 18 was tucked back right behind a bunker, which is a great risk/reward spot.

-Speaking of short par 4's, I thought I'd love the drivable one more. I'm typically a gambler on those types of holes, but I don't foresee many people giving it a rip. The fairway is wide and easy to place a layup. The valley in front of the green might make it play a little like playing a biarritz green where a ball carried to the valley won't make it up to the green. The mouth to the green isn't super wide compared to the bunkers defending the front, so 2/3 of the run-ups through the valley will end up in the bunkers. It's a pretty tricky green, so I liked being far enough back to hit a 3/4 wedge into it. I did hit a fun ball off the tee after the prudent play and pushed it into the lake, which theoretically should not be in play. :)

-Rather than compare to Bandon Trails, I'd compare it to Wekopa Saguaro. I feel like Wekopa has a couple throwaways (3 and 12 come to mind) that Sand Valley does not have. There are a couple comparable holes:

*Par 5 with a split fairway - there's a definite choice at Wekopa where you know one path is safer and the other is more of a gamble. Choosing the tougher tee shot forces the tougher 2nd before the payoff. Sand Valley's tougher tee shot yields the advantage immediately. SV's green complex is better. I'll call this one a wash.

*Short, well defended par 3: Wekopa's bunkering is really nice, but SV's green has more contour. I'll give Wekopa the slight advantage.

*Long par 3 with a big green: I like SV's (#17), but Wekopa's (#15) is one of my favorites.

-I have a feeling Sand Valley is not going to wind up as high on the rankings list as many would expect because it is not a very difficult course. I personally disagree that "resistance to scoring" should be a major factor in evaluation, but you can definitely attack Sand Valley for the most part. Whenever you make a layup or more prudent choice, you can usually flip the switch and be super aggressive with the next shot. If I were with some weaker players, this would be a great place to go. Everybody is going to have fun. That's a nice contrast to the 6 hour rounds at the Straits.

-Mammoth Dunes looks incredible. I didn't have time to play the 6 preview holes, but it looks stunning. I'll be back.

Streamsong does pretty well in the rankings and it is a very similar course. I think bc of the ownership connection to Bandon a lot of people who have played both may be disappointed if they are expecting the same experience.

As far as the caddies at SV I would either go junior or honor. From my experience the A caddie was there to carry the bag and rake bunkers. I spoke to an employee about it after and he said the junior caddies know every part of the course bc they are out there so much and a lot of the honor caddies are "pro loopers".