Hit 130.5 mph w/Std. Driver, How much more w/ LD?

CROCN

There is much talk about moving to a 46" USGA for all LD events, For some there will be a SS reduction for others not much, what most don't realize is a LD setup doesn't mean more distance , the right combination of driver set up and swing mechanics make more distance, teeing up higher , hitting it on a upward angle ,rotataing the shoulders much more can be done with any driver , now you have to get the right low lofted club and shaft to release, so its a combination of both , if you hit a 5* driver with a 2x shaft without those LD swing thoughts and hitting on a desending plow at 130 it will produce a 300 yard 20ft screamer,

If your getting 375-380 from 130CHS then you should be entering some LD events,,,

There is much talk about moving to a 46" USGA for all LD events, For some there will be a SS reduction for others not much, what most don't realize is a LD setup doesn't mean more distance , the right combination of driver set up and swing mechanics make more distance, teeing up higher , hitting it on a upward angle ,rotataing the shoulders much more can be done with any driver , now you have to get the right low lofted club and shaft to release, so its a combination of both , if you hit a 5* driver with a 2x shaft without those LD swing thoughts and hitting on a desending plow at 130 it will produce a 300 yard 20ft screamer,

If your getting 375-380 from 130CHS then you should be entering some LD events,,,

I entered a Callaway Kings of Distance Promo event a couple years back and won it with a 392 yd drive with a trackman confirmed 142chs, but i am just getting back into it since i am out of coaching. My new hobby,lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This weekend i got on a trackman with a standard driver, M1 9.5 with Tour AD-BB 7X, and hit 130.5 mph clubhead speed and 375-380yds total drive length. What could I expect to gain with a LD setup? 48" LD?

Oh yea? Well I hit 92 MPH and 235-240. I play with a guy that was on the Canadian tour who's at 114 MPH and I thought he hit the ball long but 130 MPH , is impressive. Go play in Denver or Calgary and you'll hit 450.

• 3 weeks later...

My brother does this as a hobby and currently has a 5.0 Krank he games for the tournaments. His SS is 135 + with a 45 in club and low to mid 140's with the long shaft. It shouldn't matter as they are going to 46 in drivers this season.

Titleist TSi3 8.25* / Ventus Black 6TX

Titleist 915 FD 17.5* / Tensei CK Pro White 80TX

Titleist T100 3i-P / Tour Issue X7

Vokey Raw SM9 50F, 56F, 60M / Tour Issue X7

Scotty Cameron Tour Rat Proto

Titleist Pro - V1x

The LD clubs are a different ball game. I hit a krank 7.5* 45 inch for a gamer and get 195-200 ball speed at 138- 140 CHS at 12* launch. My competition drivers are 48" and 3.5-4* of loft with xxx-flex. I'll swing them at 145-150+ CHS which usually generates anywhere from 210-220 ball speed. The trick is getting those numbers with 10-13* launch angle.... Not easy. You basically must have 3-5* upwards angle of attack on the ball or you will never get off the ground.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I accidentally stumbled into this thread, and I will purposely leave this thread to the rightful beasts that belong.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For the guys coming in with 140+ SS, do you have to take anything off when you get on a real course vs. the range? I've watched LD on TV and the guys seem to spray a good bit. Maybe something you can get away with when you can take a lob wedge into a par 5 lol

I have hit over 140mph twice this year with Krank Formula 5 with Flywire XXX when training for a long drive comp here in the UK.. With a std length 45' I have maxed 135mph CHS and on course I am anywhere from 122-132mph depending on what is needed. Courses aren't as long here in UK as they are in US, there really aren't any good landing areas for drives that go 340+ in fact on one of the par 5 I play (520yd) the greenkeeper has cut all these weird bumps into the ground 340-380yd so a good drive on there will find some very strange lies!

I use Aldila Rogue Silver 60X (110MSI) in a Callaway XR Pro for 'real golf'. Generally pretty straight but when it goes off-line, it really does go off line (we are talking 3 fairways over)

If I use my brain when playing, the driver doesn't see much action on the course at all. 3w (XR Pro) and 3i (Cally XR Pro) are weapons of choice

The LD clubs are a different ball game. I hit a krank 7.5* 45 inch for a gamer and get 195-200 ball speed at 138- 140 CHS at 12* launch. My competition drivers are 48" and 3.5-4* of loft with xxx-flex. I'll swing them at 145-150+ CHS which usually generates anywhere from 210-220 ball speed. The trick is getting those numbers with 10-13* launch angle.... Not easy. You basically must have 3-5* upwards angle of attack on the ball or you will never get off the ground.

150mph and 220mph are the holy grails of LD.. 200mph with a gamer has been my goal for years now (198mph is my best).. have you tried Callaway LD clubs? I like Krank products but found Callaway to give higher ball speeds by 2-3mph consistently

• 3 weeks later...

For the guys coming in with 140+ SS, do you have to take anything off when you get on a real course vs. the range? I've watched LD on TV and the guys seem to spray a good bit. Maybe something you can get away with when you can take a lob wedge into a par 5 lol

I have hit over 140mph twice this year with Krank Formula 5 with Flywire XXX when training for a long drive comp here in the UK.. With a std length 45' I have maxed 135mph CHS and on course I am anywhere from 122-132mph depending on what is needed. Courses aren't as long here in UK as they are in US, there really aren't any good landing areas for drives that go 340+ in fact on one of the par 5 I play (520yd) the greenkeeper has cut all these weird bumps into the ground 340-380yd so a good drive on there will find some very strange lies!

I use Aldila Rogue Silver 60X (110MSI) in a Callaway XR Pro for 'real golf'. Generally pretty straight but when it goes off-line, it really does go off line (we are talking 3 fairways over)

If I use my brain when playing, the driver doesn't see much action on the course at all. 3w (XR Pro) and 3i (Cally XR Pro) are weapons of choice

Bonkers stuff. Feel like courses here (at least where I play) are wisening up. 15 years ago, they might tighten the fairway 250 yards from the tee box where many would hit. Now, find bunkers or doglegs right in that 270-300 range. Granted, 340 and you carry it all!

Bonkers stuff. Feel like courses here (at least where I play) are wisening up. 15 years ago, they might tighten the fairway 250 yards from the tee box where many would hit. Now, find bunkers or doglegs right in that 270-300 range. Granted, 340 and you carry it all!

Most of the courses I play in rotation haven't been changed in 15+ years but some of the newer courses I've ventured to do have bunkers and ditches in that 270-300 range you refer. Even with today's technology 270+ is a healthy bust off the tee at sea-level

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

With all the Data ,technology , SS training , weight training ,,,there is some clear data about Long Drive, Weather and Grid conditions are a huge factor, the balls being used don't perform well over 195 BS and anyone can brag about numbers but this information is true:

1- Center face hits produce optimal BS

2-Optimal spin ,LA give the greatest distance

- 120 CHS produce 180BS ( top PGA guys)

-125CHS produce 185BS ( the very few PGA guys)

-130CHS produce 190 BS ( approaching LD numbers )

-135 CHS produce 195 BS( Can complete but will be middle of the pack)

-140 CHS produce 200 BS ( Compete with most top LD guys

-145 CHS produce 205+ BS ,, ( needed to win a LD event )

I know these numbers to be very accurate an true both in golf and LD ( I did not mention distance which everyone does, and is misleading ,distance from this chart is determined by weather and course/grid conditions.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If your first swing was 200mhp and you can keep spin under 2000 then you should be in Thackerville OK at the windstar aug. 2-3. 200MPH BS and 1800 spin will get you into regionals . I will warn everyone on here that thinks they are long because they hit those couple break balls on a launch monitor a couple times. You need to look at average numbers not the 2 highest in the last 4 times you hit on a LM. An inside pull can generate 5-6 more MPH than a good swing. With the formats in LD now the guys that hit the grid with good solid BS and good spin advance. So what I say to guys is stop talking about it, pay your $40 and see where you stand. That's how we all got started. Not gonna find out in front of a Trackman.

• 1 month later...

With all the Data ,technology , SS training , weight training ,,,there is some clear data about Long Drive, Weather and Grid conditions are a huge factor, the balls being used don't perform well over 195 BS and anyone can brag about numbers but this information is true:

1- Center face hits produce optimal BS

2-Optimal spin ,LA give the greatest distance

- 120 CHS produce 180BS ( top PGA guys)

-125CHS produce 185BS ( the very few PGA guys)

-130CHS produce 190 BS ( approaching LD numbers )

-135 CHS produce 195 BS( Can complete but will be middle of the pack)

-140 CHS produce 200 BS ( Compete with most top LD guys

-145 CHS produce 205+ BS ,, ( needed to win a LD event )

I know these numbers to be very accurate an true both in golf and LD ( I did not mention distance which everyone does, and is misleading ,distance from this chart is determined by weather and course/grid conditions.

Interesting post, thanks for sharing. I’ve hit as high as 128 for CHS but only 180 for BS, clearly my ball striking is in need of some work. :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

What are you using for a radar? high center face produces the highest BS , 128 is a lot of CHS , maybe loft down ,

It’s just the simulator near me, it’s a few years old now(Golfzon is the company), distance wise it seems pretty accurate to what I see outdoors but I’ve never been on a TM to know for sure about the spin numbers. I do get a lot of spin according to that simulator though, typically 2500-3000. I had never really thought about lofting down, I’ll give it a try, Thanks.

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

> @"Kevin Blenkhorn" said:

> If your first swing was 200mhp and you can keep spin under 2000 then you should be in Thackerville OK at the windstar aug. 2-3. 200MPH BS and 1800 spin will get you into regionals . I will warn everyone on here that thinks they are long because they hit those couple break balls on a launch monitor a couple times. You need to look at average numbers not the 2 highest in the last 4 times you hit on a LM. An inside pull can generate 5-6 more MPH than a good swing. With the formats in LD now the guys that hit the grid with good solid BS and good spin advance. So what I say to guys is stop talking about it, pay your $40 and see where you stand. That's how we all got started. Not gonna find out in front of a Trackman.

I am going to take your advice and enter a LD event to see where I stand. I am currently hitting my Callaway XR LD 5 degree with the HOF Raptor shaft @ 48 in anywhere from 330-390 weather pending on a flat fairway with manicured Bermuda. I can only manage around 130 chs and high 190's ball speed, but I am 44 years old and can only train hard in the summer when I am off from work. Hopefully by the end of summer I will be ready to go after the Masters division when I turn 45! My secret to a high swing speed was throwing square bales all summer long, LOL!

• 1 month later...

Latest training session after thorough warmup and stretching only produced an average of 188 ball speed with my highest being 197. Total of 15 drives with no more than 30 second rest. Still have a ways togo, but I am optimistic since I have not had much training due to a move. Lifting boxes and moving furniture doesn't allow for much training. cs9yncnnagpp.jpeg

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...