Adult Heads with Junior Shafts

My 12 year old son (5'3" 125lbs) has been playing his new ladies R15 14° with the Speeder 47 stock shaft. He loves it and is crushing it. The best drives are just a little longer than his best drives with the old BioCell 14° with Flynn shaft. The main difference are the misses.

The R15 launches super high, with low spin which equates to straighter drives. He played a quick 9 holes yesterday and hit 7 of 8 fairways and the one miss was when he got greedy trying to cut a dogleg.

He was getting frustrated with hitting the occasional wipe fade that only went 150 yards and ended up in the right rough. So far he hasn't hit those with the R15.

I might cut down the shaft an inch or replace it with something else at some point, but right I don't want to mess with a good thing. We may tweak the shaft settings and weights to get a little more roll, but that's it.

What is wrong with the Flynn heads? Just wondering what's the downside? My ten year old daughter is playing her Flynn VT max driver and crushing it.. In tournament Friday drove the green on 220 yard par 4 to 20 feet.. She is averaging around 180 to 200 with it so far. It sounds "different" but when you hear that pop it makes you look lol You guys are making me think I still need to put her in a adult head?

What is wrong with the Flynn heads? Just wondering what's the downside? My ten year old daughter is playing her Flynn VT max driver and crushing it.. In tournament Friday drove the green on 220 yard par 4 to 20 feet.. She is averaging around 180 to 200 with it so far. It sounds "different" but when you hear that pop it makes you look lol You guys are making me think I still need to put her in a adult head?

I never tried the Flynn head. I also have not heard anyone say it's better than an adult head. I've heard some say it's just as good. I'd suspect the results will vary by kid but my decision was based upon NOT hearing anyone say that the Flynn head was better/hotter/etc.

What is her swing speed?

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

What is her swing speed?

Took her in backyard tonight with swing speed radar and driver .. She was not really down for getting out in the wet grass and was barefoot.

average was 75 mph

low 70

max 84 might discard this since she started swinging for the radar and not normal but a couple of low 80s sprinkled in.

thanks!

What is her swing speed?

Took her in backyard tonight with swing speed radar and driver .. She was not really down for getting out in the wet grass and was barefoot.

average was 75 mph

low 70

max 84 might discard this since she started swinging for the radar and not normal but a couple of low 80s sprinkled in.

thanks!

If it is truly 75mph she needs to be out of Junior Clubs and into an adult mens senior flex shaft with an adult head. The back yard radars are definitely inaccurate. I would go somewhere and get her swing speed measured when she was hitting a ball. A local club pro should do it for free or at a store like PGA Superstore. 75 mph sounds really high for a 10 year old girl to me. Without knowing her size and weight I could be wrong. If she is swinging on average 75 mph those Flynn shafts have to be too whippy for her and her accuracy is suffering.

If her average swing speed is 75 mph that is really good for a 10 year old girl. That means her total drive in medium conditions is going to max out at about 194 yards. The only reason I say to go get it measured is because there are very few 10-11 year old boys with a swing speed of 75 mph. A really good male player at 10 years old is going to have a swing speed of around 64-74 mph. A really good male player at 11 is going to have a swing speed of 69-79 mph.

I like the Flynn VT max driver head. My only real complaint is the loft at 14*. Can't recall if they have different lofts or not. Also the sound is crazy loud. Other than that, its great.

I like the Flynn VT max driver head. My only real complaint is the loft at 14*. Can't recall if they have different lofts or not. Also the sound is crazy loud. Other than that, its great.

What loft is your kid swinging his M2?

What loft is your kid swinging his M2?

10.5* lofted up to 12*

10.5* lofted up to 12*

Was he fitted for it at 12? Honestly seems low. With a low spin driver the higher you want the loft because it will give you more carry and total driver distance. My kid has a swing speed of 85 mph with an rpm of 2200. He is at a 12.5 degree loft which gives him the optimal attack angle of 14 degrees to get the optimal flight and distance out of the club. With your boy being 7, I would think you would want that club lofted as much as you can get it.

10.5* lofted up to 12*

Was he fitted for it at 12? Honestly seems low. With a low spin driver the higher you want the loft because it will give you more carry and total driver distance. My kid has a swing speed of 85 mph with an rpm of 2200. He is at a 12.5 degree loft which gives him the optimal attack angle of 14 degrees to get the optimal flight and distance out of the club. With your boy being 7, I would think you would want that club lofted as much as you can get it.

Never fitted. He just tries different clubs and goes with what give the most consistent results on the course- maybe not the longest. I know just by course testing that the M2 combo he is playing now is longer than the Epic, US Kids, and VT Max. At 7 some kids have been fitted and others haven't. It was important to get the D-type and the shop we bought at and they only had the 10.5*. Of course as he gets older/stronger there is no doubt he will get fit.

10.5* lofted up to 12*

Never fitted. He just tries different clubs and goes with what give the most consistent results on the course- maybe not the longest. I know just by course testing that the M2 combo he is playing now is longer than the Epic, US Kids, and VT Max. At 7 some kids have been fitted and others haven't. It was important to get the D-type and the shop we bought at and they only had the 10.5*. Of course as he gets older/stronger there is no doubt he will get fit.

Nah. I am saying fitted for the 12* or had someone dial it in for him. I promise you if you put it to 12.5* he will hit the ball further with more carry. Honestly, for him you should have bought the 12* and cranked it to 13.5*. The way the low spin clubs are made you want more loft. With higher spin you want lower loft. The pros at our club were showing his numbers to me on flight scope and explaining what it all meant with the low spin heads. The Epic is the same way. My son hated the Epic and his numbers weren't as good as the M2. Likewise, my daughter's numbers were better with the Epic than they were the M2. I was pissed because I buy Taylormade for 40% off of retail.

I just found a cheap 14* SLDR that I am putting a Flynn shaft in got my soon to be 10 year old. He is excited because it is a "real" club. I'm interested to see the results.

Taylor Made M2 9.5* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 6
Taylor Made M2 Tour 15* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7
Titleist 913H 19* Diamana White Board
Taylor Made P760 4-P X100
Ping Glide 52
Vokey SM5 56 & 60
Cameron IBBF Laguna 2.5

I just found a cheap 14* SLDR that I am putting a Flynn shaft in got my soon to be 10 year old. He is excited because it is a "real" club. I'm interested to see the results.

You may need to put some lead tape on it to balance out the weight. My son at 10/11 found the SLDR to be a little on the heavy side.

10.5* lofted up to 12*

Nah. I am saying fitted for the 12* or had someone dial it in for him. I promise you if you put it to 12.5* he will hit the ball further with more carry. Honestly, for him you should have bought the 12* and cranked it to 13.5*. The way the low spin clubs are made you want more loft. With higher spin you want lower loft. The pros at our club were showing his numbers to me on flight scope and explaining what it all meant with the low spin heads. The Epic is the same way. My son hated the Epic and his numbers weren't as good as the M2. Likewise, my daughter's numbers were better with the Epic than they were the M2. I was pissed because I buy Taylormade for 40% off of retail.

How do you get 40% off of Taylormade?

10.5* lofted up to 12*

How do you get 40% off of Taylormade?

AJGA Membership.

To get the 40% off, do you order directly from TM or can you go through a fitter or pro shop?

You have an account set up directly through Taylormade online. They let you order up to $2500.00 worth of merchandise over the course of the year.

To get the 40% off, do you order directly from TM or can you go through a fitter or pro shop?

You have an account set up directly through Taylormade online. They let you order up to $2500.00 worth of merchandise over the course of the year.

So how would be best way to get the fitting done? I'm assuming most fitters want you to order clubs through them. Thanks ahead for the info. I am taking this route for my son's next set.

I knew you were going to ask this. Had something typed in my last post and erased it.

Demo Days where they have a trackman/flightscope out. We went to Callaway, Wilson Staff, and Titleist this past year at our club. The pros talked me through the numbers and what to look for. Taylormade is hard to find. I think some of the PGA Superstores have a Taylormade rep there that does fittings. I know the one in Delray used to and we would get him to fit us then order the stuff online. You can look for Taylormade Demo days, but they are hard to find in our area of Florida. I demoed my son's M2 for $10.00 from a place in Palm Beach. Drove it an hour home and had the pros at the club put him on the flight scope with it. They did comparisons with his old driver and made adjustments to the M2. The numbers were outstanding, more so than with the Epic. My intentions weren't even to buy a driver, but when you are getting 8 more yards out of the club, that is a shorter iron in. My son is a lefty and this demo driver may have been used once before my son demoed it. I called and told them I could buy it with my AJGA account for $264.00 and I would give them $240 for it. They took it.

There are ways to do it, you just have to be creative.

You maybe able to get his/her coach to do it for you as well.

What is her swing speed?

average was 75 mph

low 70

thanks!

If it is truly 75mph she needs to be out of Junior Clubs and into an adult mens senior flex shaft with an adult head. The back yard radars are definitely inaccurate. I would go somewhere and get her swing speed measured when she was hitting a ball. A local club pro should do it for free or at a store like PGA Superstore. 75 mph sounds really high for a 10 year old girl to me. Without knowing her size and weight I could be wrong. If she is swinging on average 75 mph those Flynn shafts have to be too whippy for her and her accuracy is suffering.

If her average swing speed is 75 mph that is really good for a 10 year old girl. That means her total drive in medium conditions is going to max out at about 194 yards. The only reason I say to go get it measured is because there are very few 10-11 year old boys with a swing speed of 75 mph. A really good male player at 10 years old is going to have a swing speed of around 64-74 mph. A really good male player at 11 is going to have a swing speed of 69-79 mph.

She will be 11 at end of month..and is fairly stout and tall for her age(5,3 100lbs) Had her on Trackman today and these two pics were not the best swings nor the worst. Pretty inconsistent hitting the sweet spot. This is pretty much what I see on the course as well. One drive might be 165 and the next may be almost 200. at the DCP when 8 years old she recorded a drive of 175 and 178 ..small incline downhill maybe gave her a few extra yards.

This year at DCP in the local she put 2 OB and one in for 12 points which equals 170-180. I could not hear what he called out for distance.

I swear she swings just like John Daly almost pointing the club head to the ground on the back swing yet manages to get parallel during the downswing. Driving is the best part of her game and yet the short game alludes her. Last weekend shot a 43 in US Kids.. She had 5 holes with 3 putts and 1 hole with a 4 putt and 2 birdies. Been that way for the last two years.. almost drives the holes and then cant get it in the hole from 30 yards in even though we work on it a lot.

What is her swing speed?

average was 75 mph

low 70

thanks!

She will be 11 at end of month..and is fairly stout and tall for her age(5,3 100lbs) Had her on Trackman today and these two pics were not the best swings nor the worst. Pretty inconsistent hitting the sweet spot. This is pretty much what I see on the course as well. One drive might be 165 and the next may be almost 200. at the DCP when 8 years old she recorded a drive of 175 and 178 ..small incline downhill maybe gave her a few extra yards.

This year at DCP in the local she put 2 OB and one in for 12 points which equals 170-180. I could not hear what he called out for distance.

I swear she swings just like John Daly almost pointing the club head to the ground on the back swing yet manages to get parallel during the downswing. Driving is the best part of her game and yet the short game alludes her. Last weekend shot a 43 in US Kids.. She had 5 holes with 3 putts and 1 hole with a 4 putt and 2 birdies. Been that way for the last two years.. almost drives the holes and then cant get it in the hole from 30 yards in even though we work on it a lot.

At that size and weight with that swing speed she needs to be pit of junior clubs.

• 4 years later...
On 6/20/2017 at 5:49 AM, heavy_hitter said:

US Kids woods are awful. He will pick up at least 10 yards with an adult driver.

I have been saying this for years.  US Kids woods are built for saving weight, not to the CT limits.

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter