REVIEWS: The TaylorMade M1 / M2 Iron Testing Thread

Recently, hundreds of GolfWRX members applied to test 2017 TaylorMade M1 and/or M2 Irons. 75 members have been chosen and will be receiving their clubs shortly.

If you were chosen, you should receive an email and club(s) shortly. If you received your irons, please feel free to post below.

Thanks!

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH wow, pulled up from work and saw two boxes, but didn't remember ordering anything recently.....guess I will take off friday and have some range time...

Edit with report below:

First of all, I am at 13 handicap and my current iron set are the Srixon 545 in limited edition (yeap...the black ones) with Nippon 980 stiff. My swing speed with driver is 95-100 (M2 with AD DI). I am 5"8 and a picker of the ball.

I took the M1 7 iron (XP 95 R300), M2 7 iron (Reax 88HL regualr) and my trusty 545 7 iron.

To be honest, looking down on the M1 & M2 at address, there is really not much difference. I would have to pick one up to see which is which.

First 10 balls were with M1 and 6 out of the 10 felt great, other 4 were toe hits, which I felt and distance reflected that. Kinda what I expected with a club design for lower handicap players. Distance was about 1/2 longer than my Srixon and dispersion was close as well. I will say they did not feel as good as the srixon on center hits.

Next 10 (ok, 15) balls were with the M2. Wow, can you say "up, up and away"...the ball really popped of the club face, but wasn't a ballon flight. Waited for the ball to come down and WTH, with the roll out it was 5-8 yards longer than balls hit with M1, and that is with a few toe shots. I did some smooth swings and then very aggressive swings and and was a little amazed at this iron. Just like the M1, it does not have the forged feeling and does have a clicky sound (which I hate).

I took a water break, because it's Mississippi :)

Next, I took my trusty black 545 7 iron and said to myself, this shoud seal the deal on why I keep these bad boys....No ball I hit was longer than the M2, actually about a good 8 yards shorter. I said, this is not happening, I had to order these 545s from Japan for the "Black" look. (you know, looks matter). I finally said, one more ball with 545....I finally got one past the M2...it was a "all I had" swing and was pull left. Oh well. The feel factor still goes to 545s.

Wrap up:

M1- just not for me

M2 - (is there a custom black set out?) just as advertised, long and long.

My last few sets are listed below to give you an idea the sets I have played:

Srixon 545

Mizuno 850

Adams CB2

Ping I20

Bridgestone j36 PC

Ping ISI Copper

Bottom line: M2 is the longest iron I have ever hit. I love my 545s, but I could see my self playing M2 very easily. Matter of fact, I will be taking this M2 7 iron in my bag and play it more head to head againt my 545 on the course.

Thanks to GolfWRX and Taylormade for allowing me this test.

These irons are ridiculous.

I've never hit 190 with an 8 iron but, I managed to with the M2.

I will say that they felt great and are easy to swing. I know the lofts are strong but, these are ridiculously strong. I can see the high appeal for high handicappers and those that are wanting some extra yardage out of the ball with a weaker swing. That is great, so long as you can control the flight.

My M1 7 iron arrived yesterday! That's the good news. The bad news is that I am traveling the next week so won't have time to hit it for a while. I'm very interested to see how it goes...

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Looking forward to trying out what I get (guessing the M2 iron) and comparing it to my current Wilson Staff D300 irons.

Ping G430 10K 9* w/ Ventus Blue Velocore 5R
Ping G430 3W w/ Paderson S
Ping G430 5W w/ Paderson R
Ping G430 3 hybrid w/ Paderson S
Ping G430 4 hybrid w/Paderson R
Ping G430 5 hybrid w/ Paderson R
Ping G430 7-P, Paderson R shafts

Cleveland CBX2 Zip Core 48*, RTX Zipcore 54* & 58*
LAB MEZZ.1 Max
Bridgestone Tour B300RX

I'll add myself to the "received email but no club as of yet".

Interested to give it a go tho!

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

Came home to a big surprise on July 3rd, a Taylormade box with both M1 and M2 7 irons to play with! I took them out on the 4th and hit maybe 20 shots with them on the range before teeing off. Quick impressions:

Looks:

These are both beautiful clubs. What surprised me the most is how much alike the two clubs look at address. I was expecting a chunky topline and significant offset in the M2, but it's footprint looked almost exactly the same as the M1, outside of the chrome finish on the M2 versus the frosted finish of the M1. The M2 could almost pass as a player's iron to my eye at address. These clubs both get A's from me in the looks department.

Performance:

The M1 felt a tad thicker than most player's irons I'm used to, but it seemed to come with a bit of added forgiveness too. Well struck shots felt good, with a nice mid-trajectory and with the workability that I've come to expect from a player's iron. But true to Taylormade's claims, the M1 seemed more forgiving than a traditional player's iron. Had a nice soft feel at impact, mishits didn't sting and left you with a more playable result. A really nice combination of the better attributes of both player's and game improvement irons. I've been playing with an old set of Tommy Armour blades, but I've been recently wanting more forgiveness for when I'm stuck with my B or C swing. Based on the early returns, I could definitely see myself bagging these.

I'm not sure if it's the shaft, the design of the clubhead, or a combination of both, but the M2 is definitely a different animal than the M1 at impact. This club launches the ball high, arguably ridiculously so. I was hitting Jason Day moonbombs with this bad boy. Didn't seem to matter what kind of swing I put on it, the ball launched high, flat and dead straight. The club was super forgiving and if not for the insanely high ball flight, I would love to have a set of these for when my swing is out of sorts. I didn't really try to flight it at all, so I'm not sure what it's capable of at this point. One other note was that the M2 had a clicky feel at impact. It didn't bother me since it still felt so sweet....so strange as it sounds, clicky, but smooth and sweet at the same time. I think these clubs will be big winners with the mid-to-high handicap set.

I'll post pictures later tonight and I hope to give them a more thorough testing this weekend.

Thanks again to Golfwrx for the opportunity to participate!

What's the big deal? Longer straighter more forgiving. And that was just the M2. I hit the M1 10 yards longer than the M2. Just as straight and more forgiving. Now granted, my normal 7 iron is 33' loft. The M1 is 30.5' loft. But my best shots were almost 40 yards longer!!!! That's 40. On a string!! Also that includes carry on an indoor hitting bay, but still!!! Almost 200 yards with a 7 iron. So that was with about 40 ProV's I hit. Will test both M1 and M2 again tomorrow. WOW!

Recently, hundreds of GolfWRX members applied to test 2017 TaylorMade M1 and/or M2 Irons. 75 members have been chosen and will be receiving their clubs shortly.

If you were chosen, you should receive an email and club(s) shortly. If you received your irons, please feel free to post below.

Thanks!

2015 Taylormade PSI 4-PW
2009 Titleist Vokey BV Spin Milled 52
2009 Titleist Vokey BV Spin Milled 56
2018 Taylormade Milled Grind 60
2005 King Cobra Baffler Hybrid 20
2017 Callaway GBB Epic 3W 13.5 +1
2014 Ping G-30 10.5
2018 Titleist Stay Dry Bag

Thanks Taylormade and Golfwrx! I look forward to testing these sticks!

2015 Taylormade PSI 4-PW
2009 Titleist Vokey BV Spin Milled 52
2009 Titleist Vokey BV Spin Milled 56
2018 Taylormade Milled Grind 60
2005 King Cobra Baffler Hybrid 20
2017 Callaway GBB Epic 3W 13.5 +1
2014 Ping G-30 10.5
2018 Titleist Stay Dry Bag

Got the club yesterday - M1, 7 iron with X95 R300 shaft. Got the email this morning. Love them both. Thanks TM for the opportunity.

The club looks great. Unfortunately I pulled a Piriformis muscle 3 weeks ago and it looks like another 2-3 weeks before being able to test the club. I was on pace for another 200+ round year but this has been the worst injury in terms of playing time missed I have ever encountered. I can basically do anything I want - except play golf. Only thing I want to do is - play golf. :fie:

I may be late to the testing parade but will pass along the results when possible.

Edited ljw:

As I am setting here posting this - I have delivered another club. An M2, 7 iron with FST Reax R88 shaft. I feel really lucky.

Tour Edge Exotics C721 driver, Integra 45g L flex shaft
BombTech 2 HW 16*

BombTech 5 W
TM Sim2 19* hybrid
Maltby KE4 Max 5 - PW, Recoil Dart 65 A flex shaft
Maltby TSW-KRM 50*/54* wedges, Recoil 75 R flex/spinner shaft
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter

Took the two 7 irons to the range last night.

M1 feels softer than the M2 and I felt the ball flight was more consistent and what I want in an iron. The M1 did have a harsher feeling in my hands than I typically like, but I'm going to credit a lot of that to the range balls.

M2 flies very high. It was a windy afternoon and about 100 degrees. I love the high ball flight on the range, but I have a concern what that ball flight would be like on the course. I like to hit the ball different heights for different shots and I don't think I could do that confidently with the M2, but I could with the M1. I don't like the sound of the M2. It sounded "clicky" to me.

I let two members hit both irons. Both were about 16 handicappers and both preferred the M1 due to the high ball flight.

I look forward to taking them out on the course.

I suspect I got my two 7 irons quickly because they shipped Fed Ex Ground from Carlsbad and I'm in Northern California.

Just wanted to say there was a pleasant surprise when I arrived home today. Two boxes from Taylormade. An M1 and an M2 7iron. Too bad I have to work tomorrow or I'd be right at the range tomorrow. Sunday I play my normal Sunday group of 28 guys, so I will try and get a few shots in on Sunday. But I will definitely get out the following week to give them a real testing. Thanks Golfwrx and Taylormade golf for this little experiment. I can't wait to see how these clubs compare to my gamer.

Tour Issue TM M2 2016 w/Tensi Pro Blue S60
Tour Issue TM M2 15* w/ Adila ATX Green S
TM HFS 21* W GD TOUR AD di 7S
Cobra Pro mb 4-PW w/ Aldila RIP Tour R hard stepped
Titleist Vokey Proto's 54*,56*,60*
Tour Bettinardi BB0 DASS or
Tour Bettinardi BB1 'H' DASS 353g
Recent Acquisition SWAG Handsome One 
Titleist ProV1 X, TM TP X
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/351901-twshoot67s-bag-and-crazy-collection/page__st__30__p__8092784__hl__+twshoot67#entry8092784"]WITB Link[/url]

I haven't received my iron(s) yet, but I'm wondering ... I'm only 5'7", and my clubs need to be professionally fit so that they'll have the proper lie angle. Off-the-shelf clubs tend to go left for me. I'm assuming that I can have the lie angle of the TaylorMades adjusted. Anyone know if that's correct?

It's a single demo iron. I wouldn't bother to bend it. And since they're cast, I'm pretty sure you wouldnt have much luck bending them if you tried. Just choke down and that will flatten it out for you. I'm the same height as you, usually play 3* flat, but didn't have any trouble hitting these irons once I choked down by an inch.

Excited and grateful to have been chosen to test TaylorMade M1/M2 Irons. If I am correct I am seeng you receive a 7 iron for one or both sets to test. My question n is after testing what do you do with the 7 Irons?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure you get to keep them.

I'd like to purchase an M1 from anyone after they are done trying it out.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I haven't received my iron(s) yet, but I'm wondering ... I'm only 5'7", and my clubs need to be professionally fit so that they'll have the proper lie angle. Off-the-shelf clubs tend to go left for me. I'm assuming that I can have the lie angle of the TaylorMades adjusted. Anyone know if that's correct?

It's a single demo iron. I wouldn't bother to bend it. And since they're cast, I'm pretty sure you wouldnt have much luck bending them if you tried. Just choke down and that will flatten it out for you. I'm the same height as you, usually play 3* flat, but didn't have any trouble hitting these irons once I choked down by an inch.

Thanks for the info and advice. I did a little more research (TaylorMade's site doesn't seem to mention it) after my post and found out they were cast, so I figured it would be risky to have either one bent. Might still ask the local GolfUSA shop (where I was fitted for my Mizunos) if they've had any experience with these. Or ... yeah, an inch down.