REVIEWS: The TaylorMade M1 / M2 Iron Testing Thread

PLACE HOLDER: This is great for TWO reasons; I can give these a try and my son wanted a set so now he can try both too. You will get two perspectives on these clubs; mine (40 year old) and my son (13 years old).

Received these a few days ago and I was able to go to the range a few days ago. I was given the following M1 and M2 7 irons with the following shafts:

M1: 7 iron with True Temper XP 95 R300 (Lamkin UTX grip - more about this later)

M2: 7 iron with FST REAX Steel 88 R Flex (Standard Taylormade grip)

First, I hit Srixon 765 MODUS 120 X-Stiff in my irons and PING G LS Tech with PING TOUR 80 X driver and my driver SS is

107-111.

M1:

LOOKS: One that has never played a "chunky" club or super game improvement iron, I really like the look of these irons. To me they look very compact at address other than the thick top line. Under the hood there is a TON of game improvement with a touch of "style"in it. I love the subdued look, much like the PING series this year, almost ZERO chrome is a nice look.

PLAYBILITY: Initialy on the range I was scared becuase it was a regular flex club so I took it easy for my initial 10-15 swings with it. Ball SHOT off the face, loud crack (didn't care for but not too bad) and ball just kept rising and rising but didnt balloon. I though whoa, that's not what I expected...did it again...another CRACK and the ball just flew. I set another down and I payed attention to how it looked behind the ball, not much offset for a game improvement and I thought..."I could actually play this club!" The 5-7 were EASY swings, aimed at a target of 170 yards away (my normal 7 iron distance) and with a EASY swing I was flying it by 20 yards or so. The next 5-10 I really went after it, same CRACK and ball just flew but to my suprise it was a nice draw, harder draw then the first but it was a nice 10 yard draw. This time the balls were landing just short of the 200 yard marker. Damn, 200 yards with a 7 irons...I know they are jacked lofts but it feels good to say " my 7 irons just few 190-200 yards!"

P.S. LOVE the Lamkin UTX grip!

M2:

LOOKS: TOO much going on in the back for me! I am not sure if its the chrome finish or all that carbon fiber but I am not a fan...at all! Too me, it looks like there is more offset than the M1 but I dont think there is...will need to check the site. If I wanted to look down at one of the two I would go for the M1...hands down!

PLAYABILITY: Now, this was interesting, the M2 was quieter then the M1...weird! Now, there is more carbon fiber added to this one and there is a "geocoutic" label on the back. I am sure that it has something to do with all that carbon fiber but it does have a better sound. Other than the sound, it played exactly like the M1 long and straight. The REAX shaft felt a little weaker than the True Temper shaft and it flew a little higher but nothing else I could pick up.

RANGE GRADE

M1 LOOKS: A

M2 LOOKS: B-

M1 PLAYABILITY: A

M2 PLAYABILITY: A-- (shaft was weaker)

Friday I will hit the green stuff....also my son will be hitting tomorrow at the range.

TAYLORMADE IF YOU ARE READING THIS I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO TRY A FULL SET OF THE M1 IRONS.....PM ME PLEASE!!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After hitting ~100 balls with each, I've come to the following conclusions:

M1:

I just can't get on with this club, and I can't figure out why.

Pros:

Great look at address. The slightly smaller head than the M2 suits my eye, and sits well behind the ball. The matte finish also looks better than the chrome M2 topline. Ball flight is definitely lower than the M2.

Cons:

Feel is clicky, much better than last year, yet still too numb for my tastes. Even perfectly hit shots feel detached and clunky. Again, better than last year, but still lacking any kind of feel at all. Distance is 1/2-full club shorter than the M2, even taking into account the 1/4 inch shorter length of the club over the M2.

M2:

I never thought I'd like this club, but I'm seriously considering putting the 3-6 irons in the bag. This would cause all sorts of gapping issues as I play blades, but these are that good.

Pros:

I haven't gone back, or researched, if these are smaller heads than last years, but they sure seem to be. Look behind the ball is a bit large for my tastes, but damn if they don't rocket off the face. Flight is high, flat, and very long. Disgustingly long. 200yd 7iron long (I am at elevation, but still). Hitting my 5 iron against this 7 iron still left me 1/2 back and not as accurate as the M2. I really have disliked the "iron degree jacking" of late, but I'm now a believer. Turf interaction is great and the thickish sole never became caught in the deepest of roughs.

These are the easiest clubs I've ever hit.

Cons:

I'm torn as I really dislike looking down at the club and seeing the slot lines in the face, although they do frame the ball well. The topline is also very thick and with the chrome finish, shine in direct light. going to the finish of the M1 would be a nice improvement. Back of the club is meh, who really cares anyway when they perform like these do.

Both clubs fought any attempt at curving the ball. I just couldn't shape them to save my life. Straight straight straight.

In short, if you can get use to the thickish topline, the M2 is the real deal and an amazing club. I disliked last years models, but they've really done a heck of a job on the M2 this year. Fantastic club. The M1 is numb, not nearly as accurate as the M2, and in my opinion, totally skippable.

Paradym 10.5

Epic 3w 15

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titelist T150

Callaway Jaws 5 50*, 54*

Cleve Zip 60*

Ping PLD3/Rahm Rossie S/TP Mills Fleetwood custom

I live in the MW and it hasn't arrived yet. I received the email last Thursday. Should I be worried or are most people waiting as well?

I live about 30 minutes away from their HQ and I haven't received anything yet. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm sure they randomly started sending the irons out to folks.

Driver: Titleist TSR2

Fairways: TaylorMade M1 (2017) Aldila Black; Cobra Baffler F6

Irons: Cobra KING Forged Tec Irons Steelfiber i110cw

Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 54*; Callaway JAWS Full Toe 58*

Putter: Evnroll ER2 

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

Finally got out to the range after getting these bad boys in on Friday. My first impression of them is that they look really sharp. The graphics and design really stand out and really give these clubs a cool, modern look.

They were both a little to big IMO, as I am currently bagging MP-68s, the M2 being a definite "game improvement iron", while the M1 was similar in size and shape to my previous irons, AP1s.

They both really launch it, high and far. Ridiculous for 7I. I don't have access to a LM but it was a 20 yard difference between my 7 and these. (stronger lofts as well).

The M1 definitely was more suited for my eye, and produced more consistent ball flights. It felt much more smooth and solid as the M2 had a clicky, cheap feel.

The M2 just isn't for me. I felt like it was launching too high and ballooning, which could be due to the shaft. (The M1 had the s300, while the M2 just had a stock "Reax" shaft.)

the feel off the face of the M2 just turned me off TBH.

While I don't think I'll be putting either model in play, I can definitely see the appeal to mid to high handicaps. Both irons were super forgiving, and they should be a dream to the average weekend golfer who has trouble with ballstriking consistently.

Again Thanks to TM and GolfWrx, I hope to participate in more testing to help the WRX community!

I'm 63 years old and I don't play to a scratch handicap as I once did. Over the years I've gone to lighter shafts, with a senior flex and more of a game improvement type iron.

I received two 7 irons. One the M1 and the other the M2. After about 15 minutes of warming up with my clubs, I tried the M2 first because they are more in line with what I play with. I was very impressed by the feel and distance. Shot dispersion was very good and I didn't lose hardly any yardage on mis-hits. The shafts were regular flex steel. I hit 5 balls with each club and continued this process until I hit 15 balls with each club.

However, the M1 was by far the best feeling iron I've hit in a long time. I already had it in my head that I probably couldn't hit the M1 very good because of my age. I was wrong. I found this club to be very easy to hit. The sound and contact with the ground was just beautiful. The M1 had a better feel to me than the M2 when I flushed both irons. I did have a few mis-hits with these too. But I didn't get that "stingy" feeling that I thought I'd get with this type of an iron that was mis-hit. The flight of both clubs was lower than my present irons. A more boring shot. I'm not saying that's bad, it's just different than what I'm playing with right now. And both clubs were 8-11 yards longer as measured by my range finder.

With each club I tried to work the ball both ways and I also tried to hit it high and knockdowns. The M1 was easier to achieve these types of shots.

I tried to do a very thorough job of testing each iron, since Taylormade was nice enough to send me two irons to hit.

My final thought, if your are a senior or you are somebody with a slower swing speed and don't think you can hit an iron like the M1, at least try it. It might not have the feel you are looking for, but at least you tried both clubs to make your own decision.

It's OK to tell people how good you are, but when your're really good, they'll tell you.

I live in the MW and it hasn't arrived yet. I received the email last Thursday. Should I be worried or are most people waiting as well?

I live about 30 minutes away from their HQ and I haven't received anything yet. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm sure they randomly started sending the irons out to folks.

I just received FedEx notifications that I'll be receiving 2 packages from TMAG tomorrow. Look forward to posting some pictures to compare versus my RSi2 irons.

Edit: Photos attached. The RSI2 are less "bulkier" than the M1 or M2. From left to right: M2, M1, and RSi2.

I'll try to get them out this weekend.

Driver: Titleist TSR2

Fairways: TaylorMade M1 (2017) Aldila Black; Cobra Baffler F6

Irons: Cobra KING Forged Tec Irons Steelfiber i110cw

Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 54*; Callaway JAWS Full Toe 58*

Putter: Evnroll ER2 

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

Finally able to take my M1 and M2 seven irons out to the range for a proper test this weekend. First a couple of notes on me and my current setup. Been playing for 40+ years and currently carry a 5.8 index gaming some recently reshafted Mizuno JPX 825 Pros. Just put in some Steelfiber i95 Regular shafts. When I responded to the “testers needed” post I had already decided it was time for me to step back to regular shafts, so I received both irons with R shafts; the M1 with the XP95 steel shaft, and the M2 with the Reax High Launch steel shaft.

Looks – As expected I preferred the M1 with less offset, slightly smaller sole and a smoother finish. Less glare looking down on the iron. I must say the M2 did not look as bulky, or have as much offset as I thought it might have.

Feel – This was a close race, probably due to the shafts as much as the heads. The M1 was just a slight bit smoother feeling on solid shots. But the M2 was not bad at all, just not quite as smooth.

Distance and performance – Our range has a slight incline up the length of the range, so specific yardage gains or losses were difficult to measure. Both irons had a higher trajectory than mine. Neither sole dug onto the turf either. The lofts for both irons are a degree or two stronger than mine, so I would think they probably flew a little further than my gamers. Neither iron flew “too” high however. Might be a little harder to hit knock down shots though.

Final thoughts – I had hit both the M1 and M2 irons last year during a fitting day, but did not like either. This year’s model were both better in my eyes. I asked a fellow member at our club to hit both and he felt the M1 was his preferred model, and he is a 20 index player. So coming from both a single digit, and a high double digit, the M1 won this battle of wills. I will try and see if I can locate both a 5 iron and 9 iron to see if a full set might be a winner for me.

Hope you all enjoy your own testing process. Thanks again to GolfWRX and TaylorMade for making this such a fun “job” to have for a couple of days.

still super anxiously awaiting a package from TM.. everyday i come home w/ hope.. and each day im crushed!

Same here, been over a week since I got my email. Hoping to get my iron(s) soon!!!

Ping G430 10K 9* w/ Ventus Blue Velocore 5R
Ping G430 3W w/ Paderson S
Ping G430 5W w/ Paderson R
Ping G430 3 hybrid w/ Paderson S
Ping G430 4 hybrid w/Paderson R
Ping G430 5 hybrid w/ Paderson R
Ping G430 7-P, Paderson R shafts

Cleveland CBX2 Zip Core 48*, RTX Zipcore 54* & 58*
LAB MEZZ.1 Max
Bridgestone Tour B300RX

I'm new here so I will make it short. I signed up for the M1 iron test and received them yesterday just in time for my round today. I currently play Adams XTD Forged. When I picked the club up I could get a real sense of the club head. First shot was 140 yard punch it felt really sharp and crisp. Birdied the hole. Only had occasion to use it 3 other swings to good shots and a mishit. Mishit just 5 yards right. That was with M1. Using M2 on Monday.

My irons just came in this afternoon...

VERY FIRST IMPRESSIONS OUT OF THE BOX -

M1 - I really like the brushed finish at address. The club as a whole looks good and I think it would be just fine in bright sunlight. The silver on the back looks very classy yet modern and pairs nicely with the little flashes of volt in the grip.

M2 - This iron does not look as chunky as I thought it might. I do think it has a little too much offset to suit my eye but it really doesn't look much bigger than the M1. It does, however, have a rather large sole.

Overall, the size disparity is very small. Much smaller than I would have expected. As a 3 handicap, I am very pleasantly surprised with the M2 other than all the offset. I cannot wait to test these. More to come...

Thank you so much GolfWRX and Taylormade for this fantastic opportunity!

Thanks TaylorMade and Golfwrx for the opportunity to test these irons. My M1 & M2 arrived in a single package on Friday. I won't get a chance to hit this until Monday but here are some comments/photos.

First Impressions

- The M1 looks more compact and I prefer the brushed finish over the M2 chrome.

- The M1 feels heavier not sure if it actually is.

- I was expecting the M1 sole to be a bit thinner than it is but I don't notice it over the ball.

TM Burner 2.0 / M2 / M1 / MP25

IMG_1402%2Bcopy.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG

IMG_1404.JPG

IMG_1406.JPG

I was able to get a round in today, that I didn't think was going to happen. I currently play AP2 716 with R flex XP90 shafts 1/2" over. I did get to hit a few M2s on the range. They felt better than I expected and the ball does get up in the air like my typical 7 iron shot but definitely was going further. I did not leave myself with many shots to try them out on the course but the few that I did hit with both the M1 and 2 were very easy to hit and forgiving. Normally I have a concern with not getting enough spin into the greens but each shot that I hit checked like normal, or even better than normal for the length of club that I was hitting. Distance control was very consistent and at least one club longer than my AP2s. Actually was hoping to have more shots that I could hit with them.

I really look forward to continuing the trial and more in depth with pictures. They seem to set Ok compared to mine, which are 2 flat because of the slightly shorter length. The slight miss I hit with both was much better with each of these than the Titleist.

Currently my iron game is not so hot, so I am looking for any advantage on more playable mishits. Shot 78 today without hitting a lot of greens but we have very small greens. More in depth review next week. Steve

Took the two 7 irons to the range last night.

M1 feels softer than the M2 and I felt the ball flight was more consistent and what I want in an iron. The M1 did have a harsher feeling in my hands than I typically like, but I'm going to credit a lot of that to the range balls.

M2 flies very high. It was a windy afternoon and about 100 degrees. I love the high ball flight on the range, but I have a concern what that ball flight would be like on the course. I like to hit the ball different heights for different shots and I don't think I could do that confidently with the M2, but I could with the M1. I don't like the sound of the M2. It sounded "clicky" to me.

I let two members hit both irons. Both were about 16 handicappers and both preferred the M1 due to the high ball flight.

I look forward to taking them out on the course.

I suspect I got my two 7 irons quickly because they shipped Fed Ex Ground from Carlsbad and I'm in Northern California.

I was able to play last night and hit both the M1 and M2 in different situations and my thoughts have completely changed.

11th hole, I went to my usual 7 iron location. I hit the M1 and M2 about 20 yards over the green. I decided to hit a knock-down M1 from the same location and it was the best shot I hit with the M1 and the LAST good shot with the club.

12th hole, the M1 was hit from my normal 5 iron location. It was hit very thin but flew straight and got to the hole. The M1 felt harsh on the shot though the results turned out well. This was a sever uphill shot and I hit the M2 next thinking it would not stop on the green due to lack of spin, BUT I WAS WRONG. The ball flew high and straight and was about 2 yards from it's pitch mark.

13th hole, I went to 175 yards out (normal 5 iron) and pulled the M1 way left. The M2 AGAIN went high and straight and landed right in it's pitch mark were it stayed.

14th hole, AGAIN the M2 went high and straight from 180 yards landing and stopping quickly on the green. My thoughts on the M2 are starting to change for the better. The M1 was pushed and plop went a new PROV1 into the lake.

15th hole, 180 yards away, my normal 4 or 5 iron, the M1 7 iron was about 20 yards short of the pin. The M2 was pulled but it was pin high, The M2 is about 2 clubs longer than my Ping I-15's.

16th hole I was about 180 out and uphill. Didn't think the M2 7 iron was going to get there, but it was close to pin high. The M1 came up about 15 yards short/. I had no problem stopping the M2 or M1 on greens.

17th hole, 175, M1 was pushed and plugged in the bunker. Second plugged bunker ball during the round. I guess when your hitting it this high you can expect more plugged lies. The M2 was flushed and ended up about 5 feet for birdie.

18th, 165 yards, I decided to try a known down with the M2 thinking it would be a difficult shot, but it wasn't and flew mush lower right at the flag. Unfortunitely it came up short. Golfer error not considering the breeze. Dropped another ball and hit a full M1 that came up short in the bunker. Dropped another ball and hit the M2 full pin-high.

All my senses tell me I don't like the look, sound, and fell of the M2, but CAN NOT deny the on-course results being fantastic. I didn't miss a shot all day with the M2.

The M1 was all over the place. I pushed a lot of shots and wonder if it could have been due to the lie angle seeing how I'm a Ping Orange dot 2.25 flat player.

My opinion has changed; the on course results favor the M2.

If I hit an M2 PW 145 and my 50 degree Ping 110 yards it seems like I could have a GAPING nightmare on my hands.

Placeholder....

I just received the M1 and M2 7 irons today. Both are more compact than I expected and you can tell they are 'brothers'.

Won't get a chance to give them a go for a couple of days but am looking forward to testing them. The swing weights and

other specs look to be on the button. More later.....now for a couple of pics.

Update:

I did have a chance to briefly hit both the M1 and M2. I was surprised that the M2 was the winner in this brief

session. It felt better, flew higher, easier to hit and about 1/2 club longer that my gamer Apex CF16. The feel/sound

was better than I thought it might be but really not up to the CF16. I could, however, easily game the M2's.

More later after I've had a better chance to test them out. I'll post a pic showing how they hold up to range time.

First off, thank you again to GolfWRX and TaylorMade for this opportunity to be part of this testing.

My M1 and M2 irons were delivered yesterday morning, and a I bypassed mowing my lawn to go to the range to try them out. Was interested to see how they compared to my Wilson Staff D300 irons, which I've liked all season.

First Impressions - They definitely have more offset than I'm used to. Liked the muscle look of the M2 over the M1.

Feel – I hit the M2 first, and found it to be very solid when hit on the screws. There was almost no feel off the clubface at all. When I mishit it, you knew it was, but it wasn't harsh at all. Hit the M1 next, and same type of feel when hit solid. Much more harsh when mishit though, but I knew that was coming.

Distance and performance – This is was where I was curious to see how they would play...... The M2 went out high in the air, and just kept going forever. Now granted my eyesight isn't that great anymore, but it looked like I got about 10 - 15 yards more from the M2 compared to my D300. The only thing I didn't like about the M2 was how much I was able to turn it over. Got a lot more hook compared to my D300. Don't know if that was from the REAX shaft, but would love to find a less spinning shaft to correct that.

The M1 wasn't a great performer for me. Same height as the M2, but much straighter off the club face. Didn't get any great distance advantage as compared to my D300.

Can't game a player's iron anymore, and testing this one just reaffirmed that......

Final thoughts – Was very happy with the distance I gained with the M2 compared to my current gamer. Very good performing iron for me, and something I would definitely consider changing them out if I could reduce the spin off the face. If you're looking for more distance, you need to try these out.

The M1 just wasn't for me, but as a player's iron, I can see it as a great option.

Going to try to get out and play 18 holes with my 7 year old son, and look forward to trying out the M2 in different scenarios on the course. Will do another writeup when I get done with that round.

Once again, thank you to GolfWRX and TaylorMade for allowing me to test these out.

Ping G430 10K 9* w/ Ventus Blue Velocore 5R
Ping G430 3W w/ Paderson S
Ping G430 5W w/ Paderson R
Ping G430 3 hybrid w/ Paderson S
Ping G430 4 hybrid w/Paderson R
Ping G430 5 hybrid w/ Paderson R
Ping G430 7-P, Paderson R shafts

Cleveland CBX2 Zip Core 48*, RTX Zipcore 54* & 58*
LAB MEZZ.1 Max
Bridgestone Tour B300RX

I hit maybe 20 shots with each 7 iron again yesterday at the range. The M1 is a fine iron, but doesn't really stand out in any way from other irons of its class.

The M2, on the other hand, is an iron on steroids. I'm really starting to love this thing. It's super forgiving and just goes and goes. According to my laser, flush shots were going 195 (my usual blade 5 iron distance) and very high. I can't help but think golf would be a whole lot easier, particularly longer courses with long par 3s, with a full set of these in my bag.

Played my second round using the M2 7 iron. Like the other testers I found the M2 to launch the ball much higher and is 10 to 15 yard longer than my Adams XTD forged 7 iron. Of the 2 7 irons I prefer the M1. I like the design of the M1 and its visual appearance at address. I feel more confident in trying to work the ball with the M1.The M1 gave me more feedback as to where the club head was in relation to my swing plane. If I had my druthers I would put the M1 in the bag as it stands now. Will continue to test, what a treat to compare the 2 irons. Thanks GolfWRX for the opportunity :golfer: .

Went outside this morning and low and behold there was two boxes from Taylor made. Kept thinking "What did I order, and when?". LOL Opened the boxes and pow, there they were, and I started to remember about the testing I had signed up for.

Let me start by saying that I received 7 irons not 6 irons. At first glance the clubs both m1 and m2 look pretty nice. Some difference in size, the m2 looks a bit chunkier than the m1, but I suppose that's the idea. Both clubs have significant thicker top lines than what I am currently playing (Taylor Made r7 tp, and Callaway cf 16 combo set). I prefer thinner top lines and more of a classic look. The cut out hosel's on the clubs are a bit distracting to me, but the m1 hides the back chunkiness well.

I do like the feel of the heaviness at the bottom of the club, makes me feel like I could cut through any rough. My current irons are 2* flat so I'm interested in seeing how these will react to my swing being standard lie. Going to take them out tomorrow so stay tuned for the performance part of the review.

I am 66 with an 8 handicap. I was just fitted two weeks ago with Mizuno irons and for the first time with senior shafts, tipped 25% stiffer then senior. I got my TM test 7 irons three days ago and have went to the range twice with them and my current irons. I compared them to My Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal and my 2015 Callaway XR's regular flex. I have played graphite for 10 years and was not happy to see these with steel shafts and regular flex. More on that later.

I did try both the M1 and M2 when I was being fitted, but in graphite only. The M1 was out very fast, but the M2 was a top 3 in fitting. Again with the test M1 iron with a steel shaft it was out fast. For me it felt harsh as it did with a graphite shaft and went no further then my Mizuno's. The launch was also lower then I like and I was not consistent with direction. Miss hits were not good at all. The M1 also appeared to be upright.

The M2 looked very good at address. It just looked like I could hit it well and that is what I did. Yes, I know the lofts are jacked, but I was a little longer with the 7 iron then with my 6 iron in both of my sets. Launch was easy and not much higher then my clubs. The ball just seemed to jump of the face and felt very good to me. Miss hits were playable and as long as my irons good hits. I could also work the M2 both ways and hit a knockdown shot.

As for the steel shaft I am at a loss for words, kind of. After hitting the M2 with the regular steel REAX 88 HL shaft I was wondering what am I doing with graphite shafts with senior flex (Callaway XR's Graphite regular).

I just put my two week old Mizuno's on eBay last night and ordered a set of M2's with the steel regular flex shafts. Yes that hurt, but that is how much I liked the M2. That is what I get for just trying graphite when I was fitted.

Thank you Golf WRX and TaylorMade for picking me as a tester. One question, what do I do with the two 7 irons now that I am done testing?

I received both the M1 and M2 7 irons.

I currently play to an 11 handicap with a physical handicap of left wrist rotation limited to about 20 degrees. My current irons are vintage Callaway Hawkeyes.

On a trip to the local practice range I compared both the Taylormade clubs to my 7 iron. My normal distance (considering the variations in range balls) with the Hawkeye is 145 to 150. Both the M1 and M2 were approximately 5 to 7 yards longer. The M2 was easier for me to control, probably due to the greater offset making it more like my current club.

I had some difficulty keeping the M1 from fading but was eventually able to by using a grip even stronger then my normal strong grip.

I did not like to sound of the M1 even on good contact. The M2 sounded more like what I am used to and I liked the way it looks better also.

I will put them in play this weekend and evaluate using my usual golf ball (B 330-RXS).