2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

PGA Tour and Tobacco

Arizonalefty59

I found this forum, which is odd, because I have been trying to quit for a few months now. Have been dipping for about 15 years, I started I high school with baseball, quit while I was in the military and started up a few years later. I have to be honest, I really don't want to quit. It's like one of the last few pleasures I enjoy (besides golf obviously). I was diagnosed with Celiac a few months ago, so I cannot eat anything with Gluten in it, no beers either.

The wife decided for me that sex was no longer enjoyable, after menopause. It seems like as we get older we have to keep giving up things, and I am holding on to dipping a little while longer. I have a really stressful job and it relaxes me.

Damn. Just damn.

I know. I cried a little reading it. I'm pretty stingy but anytime that man wants a dip out of my Copenhagen can, he is more than welcome to it.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't hide it from your dentist. Kiss me baby. Nothing makes me sick.

My dentist dips. Don't need to hide it from him.

I legit have not been to a dentist in 25 years. I got tired of them giving me crap about it. I have an unwritten agreement with all the dentists of this world that I will visit them, if and only if... my teeth hurt. So far so good. I'll occasionally have tooth pain. Nowhere near enough to have some guy lecture me when I'm paying him. No thanks. I think I need to find a dentist that dips.

Come to think of it my family doc (who looks like a marathon runner on crack) gives me a little too much crap for my liking about my weight. Sure I could look like him. It just would require way too much effort. So long as I stay just south of diabetes I'm happy. Why can't he be?

I need to find a dippIng dentist and a fat doctor. Help? I travel all over so anyone in the states would be ok.

"I legit have not been to a dentist in 25 years"

This is not a good plan, bro.

There are microscopic barnacles literally eating your jawbone that hold your teeth in, man. 24/7.

Go to the dentist.

Tomorrow.

I googled "microscopic barnacles eating my jawbone" and got bupkis. I appreciate the advice and well wishes but I'm going to hold pat on the teeth hurt=dentist, teeth don't hurt=no dentist thing. If I want someone to gripe at me about dipping I'll go find my wife, not pay a copay.

As in all things I know it's good advice. Some people just have good "blank". I have good "teeth". Try as I might by dipping a can a day for 30 years or so, they're all still there. Don't hurt at all either. I know several people that are basically my age with false chompers. By all rights I should too.

I found this forum, which is odd, because I have been trying to quit for a few months now. Have been dipping for about 15 years, I started I high school with baseball, quit while I was in the military and started up a few years later. I have to be honest, I really don't want to quit. It's like one of the last few pleasures I enjoy (besides golf obviously). I was diagnosed with Celiac a few months ago, so I cannot eat anything with Gluten in it, no beers either.

The wife decided for me that sex was no longer enjoyable, after menopause. It seems like as we get older we have to keep giving up things, and I am holding on to dipping a little while longer. I have a really stressful job and it relaxes me.

Damn. Just damn.

I know. I cried a little reading it. I'm pretty stingy but anytime that man wants a dip out of my Copenhagen can, he is more than welcome to it.

Thanks, its been a rough time lately. Thank God for golf and this site.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

Damn. Just damn.

Here you go brother, close as I can get. Thanks for your service.

Damn. Just damn.

Here you go brother, close as I can get. Thanks for your service.

Thank you sir!

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

TM TP5X

Your post makes me really sad, especially the sex part. Welcome to marriage I guess! I've had that disease (marriage) for a long time. I'll put on my male pig hat for a second and state that I'm at the point of my disease where I don't really care if she enjoys it, so long as she complies! So far so good, as long as I don't interrupt any tv that she finds important! That's pretty sad too but at least 50% of the adult people in my house still enjoy it. I'd try harder to make sure that she did too but there is only so much time in those commercial breaks.... lol!

Unfortunately there is no complying either, so I got that going for me.

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

TM TP5X

Still quite sad my man. The next time the going gets tough, I'll just remember that it could be minteq tough. Dang brother, if dip and golf and this website are all you've got I feel for you (truthfully mine ain't much better). Keep on fighting the fight. I hope your golf is better, your dips more satisfying, and you enjoy the living hell out of this site. Again thanks for your service and the very next time I see a golfer having a full fledged meltdown because they forgot their dip, I'll gladly lend you one of mine AND ask if you'd like to join. Keep your chin up man!

Still quite sad my man. The next time the going gets tough, I'll just remember that it could be minteq tough. Dang brother, if dip and golf and this website are all you've got I feel for you (truthfully mine ain't much better). Keep on fighting the fight. I hope your golf is better, your dips more satisfying, and you enjoy the living hell out of this site. Again thanks for your service and the very next time I see a golfer having a full fledged meltdown because they forgot their dip, I'll gladly lend you one of mine AND ask if you'd like to join. Keep your chin up man!

Thanks, appreciate it. This site and golf really helps keep me happy.

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

TM TP5X

Thanks, appreciate it. This site and golf really helps keep me happy.

Minteq - May your shots stay straight and the chaw stay juicy this holiday weekend. Thank you for your service.

There's gluten free beer out there. No need to give it up.

If you enjoy dip then keep dipping; you are an adult and can make decisions for your self. If you want to continue using a completely legal product, then do so.

Too many people spend too much of their time trying to project their beliefs on others (alcohol is bad, cigarettes are bad, etc). Frankly, I'm tired of hearing it because EVERYONE does something that is bad for them, they just don't realize it or care to admit it because it forces them to come down from their pedestal of hypocrisy and be human.

As a society we've come to think its acceptable to tell others how to live their lives. Personally, I'm sick of it.

I was outside the clubhouse a few weeks ago having a cigarette. I enjoy a few when I play golf (I don't smoke cigarettes anywhere else). A guy walks by and says "you know, those are bad for you and you should quit" in his snooty "I'm better than you are" voice. I said "no sh*t, really? You know what else is bad for you? Sticking your nose in someone else's business". He turned and walked away.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

If you enjoy dip then keep dipping; you are an adult and can make decisions for your self. If you want to continue using a completely legal product, then do so.

Too many people spend too much of their time trying to project their beliefs on others (alcohol is bad, cigarettes are bad, etc). Frankly, I'm tired of hearing it because EVERYONE does something that is bad for them, they just don't realize it or care to admit it because it forces them to come down from their pedestal of hypocrisy and be human.

As a society we've come to think its acceptable to tell others how to live their lives. Personally, I'm sick of it.

I was outside the clubhouse a few weeks ago having a cigarette. I enjoy a few when I play golf (I don't smoke cigarettes anywhere else). A guy walks by and says "you know, those are bad for you and you should quit" in his snooty "I'm better than you are" voice. I said "no sh*t, really? You know what else is bad for you? Sticking your nose in someone else's business". He turned and walked away.

If a smoker projects his smoke on me or my child I'll absolutely project my feelings on him.

If a smoker projects his smoke on me or my child I'll absolutely project my feelings on him.

Well of course, blowing smoke on you or your kids would be rude. However, if a smoker is enjoying a cigarette and you get near him or take your children around him, then the fault is your own; you can't expect everyone to cater to you. Life doesn't work that way.

Now if a smoker comes into your space and lights up, he deserves an earful. Just like people who text/talk on the phone and drive. That person is placing everyone else around him or her in danger, and that's unacceptable.

I tend to be a very aware smoker (when I do have a cig). I don't light up inside, and I don't light up around folks whom I know don't smoke. Its not rocket science; just be aware and considerate. Although, there are plenty of folks who can't seem to grasp that concept.

I see it like this.....I don't like motorcycles because as a veteran firefighter in a busy urban area I've seen what happens when cyclists loose control or have an unscheduled meeting with an automobile or 18 wheeler. But I'm not going to walk by every motorcyclist I see and say "you really shouldn't ride that, you could die".

I actually love motorcycles and would love to have one, but I've seen too many people turned into ground beef and can't bring myself to get one.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Well of course, blowing smoke on you or your kids would be rude. However, if a smoker is enjoying a cigarette and you get near him or take your children around him, then the fault is your own; you can't expect everyone to cater to you. Life doesn't work that way.

Now if a smoker comes into your space and lights up, he deserves an earful. Just like people who text/talk on the phone and drive. That person is placing everyone else around him or her in danger, and that's unacceptable.

I tend to be a very aware smoker (when I do have a cig). I don't light up inside, and I don't light up around folks whom I know don't smoke. Its not rocket science; just be aware and considerate. Although, there are plenty of folks who can't seem to grasp that concept.

I see it like this.....I don't like motorcycles because as a veteran firefighter in a busy urban area I've seen what happens when cyclists loose control or have an unscheduled meeting with an automobile or 18 wheeler. But I'm not going to walk by every motorcyclist I see and say "you really shouldn't ride that, you could die".

I actually love motorcycles and would love to have one, but I've seen too many people turned into ground beef and can't bring myself to get one.

I've never met a human being without a vice, we all have them. Some are just more obvious than others, and some people are very good at hiding them for either legal reasons or because of shame.

Me personally I have quit all tobacco products, smoking while playing golf and dipping while living life. I honestly miss both but for personal reasons and a very serious health scare I have completely quit. Cold Turkey. I have buddies who still partake, one was smoking in the cart with me the other day, do I care? no, it's his business. It did bring on a craving but I am a big boy and I can deal with it.

To me smoking or dipping is like the motorcycles, I would enjoy both, I have owned both, but I find them both dangerous so I no longer participate in either.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Gotta agree with you on the fact others try to tell folks how to live. Now I have been a dipper chewer for over 40 years. Now on the course lately I have turned to smoking those little Swisher Sweets cigars with the cherry blend pipe tobacco. I like them and the course is the only place I smoke them. I had been out on the range for 30 minutes or so the other week and was the only one there. Some tourist golfer came up and parked his self right beside me and began hitting balls if you want to call it that. A few minutes later his buddies walked up and said something about the smoke was offending him. I told him well there are quite a few spots down the line besides I was here first and I am a full time member here so screw off. Now if he had been there first I would have had the courtesy to ask him. Yeah the gall of a tourist to invade my club and my beach and act like that. Yep I smoke cigars and dip so what? I am 60 years old and a certified redneck and do not care period

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

I was in the fire service myself as a volunteer on and off for over 20 years--- So you know the old firehouse joke--- The department spends mucho money on Scott Air Packs or MSA and has procedures to protect firefighters from smoke. First thing most firefighters do after coming out is to peel off the mask and light up. Except me I always had a dip in.

Motorcycles I rode them for years. I do not recall that many motorcycle accidents when in the fire service because I was in rural areas and not that many folks rode. But after I came to the beach the accidents were rampart all over the place. I think the final straw for me was being on a wrecker and rollback for 6 years. Between the way folks drive down here both tourists and residents and the accidents I worked broke me of the desire to ride. Sold mine 4 years ago now

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

You can't hide it from your dentist. Kiss me baby. Nothing makes me sick.

My dentist dips. Don't need to hide it from him.

I legit have not been to a dentist in 25 years. I got tired of them giving me crap about it. I have an unwritten agreement with all the dentists of this world that I will visit them, if and only if... my teeth hurt. So far so good. I'll occasionally have tooth pain. Nowhere near enough to have some guy lecture me when I'm paying him. No thanks. I think I need to find a dentist that dips.

Come to think of it my family doc (who looks like a marathon runner on crack) gives me a little too much crap for my liking about my weight. Sure I could look like him. It just would require way too much effort. So long as I stay just south of diabetes I'm happy. Why can't he be?

I need to find a dippIng dentist and a fat doctor. Help? I travel all over so anyone in the states would be ok.

"I legit have not been to a dentist in 25 years"

This is not a good plan, bro.

There are microscopic barnacles literally eating your jawbone that hold your teeth in, man. 24/7.

Go to the dentist.

Tomorrow.

I googled "microscopic barnacles eating my jawbone" and got bupkis. I appreciate the advice and well wishes but I'm going to hold pat on the teeth hurt=dentist, teeth don't hurt=no dentist thing. If I want someone to gripe at me about dipping I'll go find my wife, not pay a copay.

As in all things I know it's good advice. Some people just have good "blank". I have good "teeth". Try as I might by dipping a can a day for 30 years or so, they're all still there. Don't hurt at all either. I know several people that are basically my age with false chompers. By all rights I should too.

Come to North Carolina. When I was a kid, my dentist chewed Levi Garrett. Our local star heart surgeon had a thing for cheeseburgers (and alcohol) and had to have bypass surgery.

I was in the fire service myself as a volunteer on and off for over 20 years--- So you know the old firehouse joke--- The department spends mucho money on Scott Air Packs or MSA and has procedures to protect firefighters from smoke. First thing most firefighters do after coming out is to peel off the mask and light up. Except me I always had a dip in.

Motorcycles I rode them for years. I do not recall that many motorcycle accidents when in the fire service because I was in rural areas and not that many folks rode. But after I came to the beach the accidents were rampart all over the place. I think the final straw for me was being on a wrecker and rollback for 6 years. Between the way folks drive down here both tourists and residents and the accidents I worked broke me of the desire to ride. Sold mine 4 years ago now

Another discussion, but since you're in SC, do you think the state should change its law and make riders wear helmets? I rode for about 10 years until my son was born and I no longer had time to ride and couldn't put a carseat on the Suzuki, but I'd like to get another one someday. And I'd never ride without a helmet.

If a smartass sticks his nose in my business or my child's business, I'll absolutely project my feelings on him.

To me smoking or dipping is like the motorcycles, I would enjoy both, I have owned both, but I find them both dangerous so I no longer participate in either.

I used to smoke a cigar while riding my Harley. Sold the Harley, so just smoke on the golf course.

I figure three cigars per week is a low level risk.

I've played golf with men who smoke an entire cigar in one round. My word... that is a lot of nicotine.

Do you inhale? For the casual (not daily long-term user), a nicotine rush can go from pleasant to laying-on-ground nauseous just waiting to vomit, knowing it'll pass after an hour.

And nicotine has a very low therapeutic index (dose for effect divided by dose that will kill you).

Where is the research to take away the health riskts from the cigarettes? I quit smoking like 7 years ago or so and everyone around here says it was a sooo good thing of me to stop smoking. But h*ll I miss my cigarettes. It was soo good to take a couple of job breaks and go out and talk sh*t with the other smokers (a dwindling but still exiting breed over here in the 90's), and have a few ones after work, down the pub, at parties, on the golf course and when I felt like one. It the word got out that the tobacco health risks were a hoax to make people job more, I wouldn't be surprised, and I would personally strangle the rich guy that came up with the Idea.

I have quit smoking and it does not make me happy at all.