2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Ping G400 Drivers

GolfWRX

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody else see on Ping's website and see the head size of these drivers being 445cc instead of 460cc?

It's been known for a while that they would be 445cc. See the cover story or the Ping vids if you want more info.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-)
PING G430 hybrid 22°, 26° (F-)
Irons tbd
PING s159 53W, 58B
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour yellow

This may be my first Ping driver since the Ti Si.

TSR3 Tensei 1K White 60tx 

TM SiM2 Ti 15 Fuji Ventus Black 7x
TSR2 21 Tensei AV White 85tx
Artisan FC 4, HC 5-7, MB 8-pw DG TI 120 X-100 
Artisan "MT" Raw  52, 56 & 60
Artisan "Texas Crude" SS Mid-Slant 0117, Artisan "Oxidado" Carbon Mid-Slant 0117, Artisan SS Mid-Slant 0117

Pro V1

445 and being more forgiving than the G and G30. As the villain in Die Hard said, "that would be a neat trick"

Smaller makes the head easier to square up while lowering the MOI more than the G and G30.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I can't wait to test the LS version and compare it to my G LST, I love my G LST, best driving numbers and results I've had in a long while...it is definitely a looker, very nice indeed at 445cc it would appeal to me a bit more since I've played smaller clubheads for the majority of my golf experience...again, I love my G LST so it would have to destroy it in order for me to change...I'll probably won't though.

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

445 and being more forgiving than the G and G30. As the villain in Die Hard said, "that would be a neat trick"

Smaller makes the head easier to square up while lowering the MOI more than the G and G30.

Higher MOI than the previous 2 offerings. Tried the LST yesterday (coming from the GLST 9* and the 10* G400 knocked down to 9* launched 2-3 degrees higher with my shaft switched over). Gained 2mph in clubhead speed, and obviously higher launch. No material change to spin #s. Not a game changer as far as carry/total, but I think that if I could get it dialed in, picking up 5 yards in a more attractive package with much better acoustics will be worth it for me.

SIM w Ventus Black 6x

G410LST 3w w THUMP 70x

G410 2H w Thump 80x
TM P790 4-P w X100TI
Cleveland Zipcore 50*Mid & 54*Mid

TM Hi-Toe 60*

Odyssey O-Works Black #1

Higher MOI than the previous 2 offerings. Tried the LST yesterday (coming from the GLST 9* and the 10* G400 knocked down to 9* launched 2-3 degrees higher with my shaft switched over). Gained 2mph in clubhead speed, and obviously higher launch. No material change to spin #s. Not a game changer as far as carry/total, but I think that if I could get it dialed in, picking up 5 yards in a more attractive package with much better acoustics will be worth it for me.

Same shaft, both playing 9*, same spin rate and the G400 launched 2* higher for you?

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

Our Golf Galaxy just put these out on the demo racks (some still had the plastic wrap). My buddy and I hit a few of them and the sound is SO much better. I want to demo them at a range and try it against my M2. These drivers have me intrigued. Great feel to them!

Titleist TSR2+ 3 wood

Cobra AMP Cell 2,3 hybrids

Cobra Bio Cell 4 hybrid

Cobra RF Forged MB 5-PW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, 58* Wedges
Toulon Indianapolis putter

Still too much going on w.r.t. the crown, and the paint/finish screams "made in China" cheap still. Unless the performance is heads & shoulders above the 2017 M2 v2 or Epic, I'm not rushing out to get one.

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S))

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 17* (stock HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

RTX ZipCore 52* Mid (DG Tour Issue)

SM9 58-10S (DG)

HiToe 64* (HiRev 2.0)
Eleven CS

Any urethane “X” ball

Same shaft, both playing 9*, same spin rate and the G400 launched 2* higher for you?

G400LST. That's correct.

SIM w Ventus Black 6x

G410LST 3w w THUMP 70x

G410 2H w Thump 80x
TM P790 4-P w X100TI
Cleveland Zipcore 50*Mid & 54*Mid

TM Hi-Toe 60*

Odyssey O-Works Black #1

Tried another G400 LS and standard G400. Nice feel, no distance for me compared to G series. Also not a fan of the new sound. Many have raved about it. But since my driver SS is no longer above 100 the sound comes off as quite muted almost like the old Callaway FT iq. At least with the old "noisy" G LS I could tell when I hit the ball on the "screws". I totally mishit one drive (not on purpose by the way) and really nailed one...absolutely no difference in sound. Still wish the crown looked like the fairways, that are measureably longer than the Gs..

Tried another G400 LS and standard G400. Nice feel, no distance for me compared to G series. Also not a fan of the new sound. Many have raved about it. But since my driver SS is no longer above 100 the sound comes off as quite muted almost like the old Callaway FT iq. At least with the old "noisy" G LS I could tell when I hit the ball on the "screws". I totally mishit one drive (not on purpose by the way) and really nailed one...absolutely no difference in sound. Still wish the crown looked like the fairways, that are measureably longer than the Gs..

What are your thoughts between G400 LS vs G400? Any significant difference in performance between the two?

[indent=1]M2 Atmos Black[/indent]
[indent=1]M2 Speeder[/indent]
[indent=1]Ping G Tensei Blue[/indent]
[indent=1]p790 Modus 130[/indent]
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

From another site. I hate the look of the crown but I'm going to have to give this a good run against my Epic SZ.

A little background here… my average swing speed is 105 MPH. On my best day – and perhaps more so in my younger days - I sometimes ramp it up to 107. My ball speed seldom if ever exceeded 155 MPH. This is true for every driver fitting I’ve ever had. I’ve hit balls for Callaway, Cobra, Nike, PXG, TaylorMade, along with PING a time or two before. 109 , 160 and 300, that’s never happened. Never. Ever. Period.

I don’t know if the increases came from a decrease in drag due to a reduced crossectional footprint when the clubface is 40° open. I don’t know if G400 (LST) tickles my amygdala either. What I know is that 109 and 160 is a gear I don’t have, and yet there it is. And it wasn’t an isolated swing. 109 and damn near 160 time and time again. All that and mostly straight ball flight too. I know my game, and what happened on PING’s range was absurd in the most delightful way imaginable.

Subsequent on-course testing at my recent Member/Guest tournament at McGregor Links has completely validated what I saw at PING HQ. Playing from the back tees (the penalty for bringing in a 1 handicap as a guest), I found myself consistently hitting shorter second shots than I normally do from the more-forward white tees. Individual mileage always varies, but for it, the G400 LST is a solid tee marker longer. Again...it's absurd.

So roll your eyes at the aerodynamics and that stuff about the amygdala if you'd like, I understand, but I'm knowledgeable guy, reasonably well fit into every club in my bag, and I'm telling you I'm seeing upwards of 5 MPH in ball speed and increased distance on the course. If that doesn’t pique your curiosity, I can’t imagine anything will.

In which case, I’ve just wasted a good deal of time for the both of us.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

What are your thoughts between G400 LS vs G400? Any significant difference in performance between the two?

I have used the LS head since it was available, but I think this year I need the spin and help of the Standard G400. I have a nice collection of high end shafts and also tried the KK and the copper OEM shaft. The best I could do was the new KK shaft in the G400 standard head, but it was more an improvement in dispersion and absolutely no measureable distance between the G and G400 regardless of shaft or model. I am amazed at the claims of 10 more yards and 5-7 mph ball speed. Congrats to he people achieving those numbers as Pings own engineers only claim 1-2 mph ball speed (which is good staying legal). My slower swing speed doesn't seem to be the issue as I played with my nephew and his friend the other day. Both are players at major colleges and accomplished golfers (wins etc.). These are two different guys from the others I played with recently that also found no distance in the driver. They were supplied with Ping drivers and fairways to play with. Both liked the drivers as both had played G30s, but found nothing in club or ball speed compared to their Epic SZ and M2 respectively. The G400 was the same ball speed as the M2, but the Epic SZ was 2-3 mph more than the G400 LS. These guys aren't old geezers like I am and were easily turning 115-118, and 117-122 mph on Trackman.. but as unimpressed as they were with the driver both were very impressed by the fairway woods and crossover. One kid had a couple of the new Steelheads which he thought were very much a step up from what he was using, and the G400s were noticeably longer and confirmed by Trackman data.

I have not been overly impressed with the tests I have seen on YouTube but I am going to get fit for this and reserve judgement until I see my own numbers... as I think every that has access to fitting should do.

I will go into the fitting really hoping it works out, I love the look of the LST.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Ping is really sticking too there guns with the aerodynamics agenda. I think that's the battle cry for nothing left to gain in head deisgn with current materials. I'm by no means a Engineer just my guess. I definitely think shafts continue too improve. BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Really impressed by the testing from Shiels, Crossfield and especially MGS for this driver. Seems like Ping's engineers have really thought outside the box to create this driver. Increasing the MOI while decreasing the size is unbelievable, and increasing clubhead speed too. Pretty impressive results observed. As I'm playing a G20 driver it might be time to test out this new driver. Might be new driver in my future.

Anyone know where we can get more info on the shafts? I am looking for torque ratings, etc. The Ping website does not have this information.

Thanks

I'm looking for the same information. If you look at some of the websites that are allowing pre order, it looks like it's an Alta CB 55 gram shaft, regardless of the flex you get with it. Really want to know what the shaft options are going to be at launch.