2017 PROV1X vs. TP5X

flyhighandlong

Could you please and thanks help me out, I have hit neither and right now play the 2015 PROV1X, I have like one box of them left. I am wondering how similar or different these two subjects are, with higher swing speeds which one performs better. Thanks for your help, trying to get a good head start on selecting my new ball

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played the 2015 ProV1x for 2 seasons and did my normal buy 3 and get the 4th dozen free for the 2017 ProV1x, but also bought a dozen TP5X and the TP5. What I noticed with the 2017 ProV1X was that it preforms very similar to the 2015 but noticed a little more spin off the irons, a little more grab on the greens, and a more durable cover. With the TP5X versus the 2015 ProV1X, I found the TP5X to have a firmer feel, similar spin around the green, slightly higher ball flight, less spin on all clubs, and similar durability. Of the 2 I would lean to liking the 2017 ProV1X over the TP5X, however my favorite ball this year is the TaylorMade TP5. it has a lower ball flight on all clubs, spin closer in line to the 2015 ProV1X off the irons, and more spin around the greens .

Ping G430 LST 9* Graphite Design VF 6

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 15* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7
Callaway Apex UW 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 8
Titleist T150 4 Iron Fujikura Axiom 105

Titleist T100 5-PW Vokey SM9 50* Fujikura Axiom 125
Artisan 55*DS+LE 59* DR+LE Nippon Modus3 125 wedge
LAB DF3

If you like the ProV1x, especially around the greens and spin on approach shots you won't like the TP5x. I am a high speed player and it reacts off my wedges like a 2 piece ball.. straight in the air and it lands with next to no spin. I was a long time ProV1x player until this year when I tried the TP5x for my first 8 tournament rounds of the year and I saw the same results over and over on approach shots. Switched to the newest Srixon ZStarXV and I couldn't be happier, especially considering I got them for less than $30 per dozen when I stocked up

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

Many players who started off loving TP5x have begun to shy away, do to all the reasons mentioned above.

Be sure to give 17 V a shot in addition to 17 X and 17 XV. 17 V is what replaced 15 X, for me.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

If you like the ProV1x, especially around the greens and spin on approach shots you won't like the TP5x. I am a high speed player and it reacts off my wedges like a 2 piece ball.. straight in the air and it lands with next to no spin. I was a long time ProV1x player until this year when I tried the TP5x for my first 8 tournament rounds of the year and I saw the same results over and over on approach shots. Switched to the newest Srixon ZStarXV and I couldn't be happier, especially considering I got them for less than $30 per dozen when I stocked up

Noticed the same after playing a box of TP5x. Spins less than ProV1x around the greens, can't get it to do my standard one hop + check pitch/chip. Ball flight seems higher than ProV1x but didn't really see distance gain on longer clubs.

I do keep reading about XV on here so I'll give them a go.

I'm still very much confused about 2017 V and X...

Bandon Dunes 2016
Scottsdale 2017
Pinehurst 2018
Masters 2019

Bandon Dunes 2022

OP should add 2017 Srixons to the list. Both Z Stars are superb balls. I never thought the 2016 TPx could be beaten til trying the Srixons. For higher swing speeds XV is probably your best bet, but I find the regular Z Star to perform similarly but with a softer feel. I think both are better than ProV1/x, and cheaper and more durable too.

TP5x flies higher off the irons, longer with the woods, feels softer off the putter, but spins less with the wedges. But that's what's most important for me so I play the Pro v1x.

Titleist TSR3 10° Autoflex 505x

Titleist TSR3 15° Ventus Red 7s

Callaway UW 19° Ventus Red 7s

PXG 0311 Gen3 4-5p, 6-9t, PWst Oban CT-115s 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50° Oban CT-115s

Vokey 56°s Raw, 60°t Raw Project X LZ 6.0

Byron Morgan DH89x / 009 

I've played the ProV1x for 10+ years, and switched to the TP5x after testing. I found it's a better performing golf ball tee to green, and equally good around the greens. If you want to lower spin, get the TP5x. You will gain some yardage, and hit straighter shots, because of the spin reduction. It's that simple.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

The same 5-6 guys on Tour are playing the new TM ball that played the old TM ball. Nobody new, other than Rory. Those guys are under full contract with TM. Everyone else is playing either the Titleist, Srixon, or a few Bridgestone's.......Did anyone catch DJ's comments at the President's Cup when playing alternate shot with a Titleist ball?.......LOL......He was impressed!......So, coupled with that, if 90% of the playing professionals worldwide play the ProV1, what is the best performance ball out there?.........You can't say Titleist pays them ALL?.........I play whatever my golf reps give me!.....They're all good golf balls!!......If it's being used on Tour, it's GREAT!!.....

The same 5-6 guys on Tour are playing the new TM ball that played the old TM ball. Nobody new, other than Rory. Those guys are under full contract with TM. Everyone else is playing either the Titleist, Srixon, or a few Bridgestone's.......Did anyone catch DJ's comments at the President's Cup when playing alternate shot with a Titleist ball?.......LOL......He was impressed!......So, coupled with that, if 90% of the playing professionals worldwide play the ProV1, what is the best performance ball out there?.........You can't say Titleist pays them ALL?.........I play whatever my golf reps give me!.....They're all good golf balls!!......If it's being used on Tour, it's GREAT!!.....

I've said it on several other threads here, there are TEN versions of TP5 on USGA conforming list... that means guys on tour have eight more versions of TP5 to choose from then we do.

2017 Pro V1 has three versions, V, X and Pink V... of which we can all walk into the store and buy.

Something to consider when talking about "tour guys playing TM balls."

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

I've said it on several other threads here, there are TEN versions of TP5 on USGA conforming list... that means guys on tour have eight more versions of TP5 to choose from then we do.

2017 Pro V1 has three versions, V, X and Pink V... of which we can all walk into the store and buy.

Something to consider when talking about "tour guys playing TM balls."

This can be misleading. There are guys on tour that are still using ProV1(x) models from many many years ago. They have just as many options to choose from.... even more given how long the balls have been on the market.

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

I don't care what the guys on tour are doing... I just know that the TM TP5X ball performs really well, and the best for me.

My experience with it was like the video of Jon Rahm testing the ball (

). It was like... this is a joke. It's 5-10 yards longer on iron shots, straighter on most shots, and better in the wind (all of that is because of the higher launch / lower spin combination), and works just as well around the greens. I've played the ProV1x since it first hit the market back in 2001 or whenever it was... and it was a no brainer switching to this ball.

I've worked the driving range at PGA Tour events. Yes, the vast majority of players are using the ProV1x golf ball... even the ProV1 is not that popular. And I agree with the comments that they aren't all paid... in fact most aren't paid. They play the ball out of tradition. All the pros played them, so as a kid they all played them too, and now continue to play them because they always have. It's really that simple.

But you have to admit, for the small percentage of guys using the TP5X golf ball... they seem to be racking up the wins lately. I think the golf ball gives players an advantage, even if it's a slight one. When you can gain up to a club into greens with the same swing, and it's so stable in the wind, how can that not be an advantage?

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

Just switched to the TP5x from Callaway Chrome Soft/ Pro v1/ v1x rotation. I notice the TM ball to perform well in the wind, and to drop and stop, vs spinning backwards on approach shots. I'm very satisfied with the 5x....

[list]
[*][size=4][b][color=#0000ff]Ping G410 LST, Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Pro [/color][/b][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diamana BF[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 hybrid, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Pro[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][b]Titleist T200 5-9 KBS Tour Flt [/b][/size]
[*][size=4][b][color=#daa520]Callaway MD5 45,49,54,58/[/color]
[*][color=#b22222][b][size=4]TP Mills Trad II Hand Forged [/size][/b][/color]
[/list]

Been playing with these TP5X for a few rounds now. I really like this ball off the tee and with the irons and on any full shots. I hit high, straight moon shots that pierce through the wind. I gained about 5 yards with every club. It's hard for me to dial in the numbers with this ball, but it will come. Nothing wrong with it off the putter. Feel is between a ProV1 and a Chrome Soft. I would switch from a ProV1 to this ball if it wasn't for the lack of spin I'm getting around the green. I just can't manage to check this ball up 60 yards and in and close to the green. For that reason, I can't switch to it. Other than that, the best ball I've ever used. Really incredible how high, straight, and far this ball goes.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I've played the ProV1x for 10 years, and switched to the TP5x after testing. I found it's a better performing golf ball tee to green, and equally good around the greens. If you want to lower spin, get the TP5x. You will gain some yardage, and hit straighter shots, because of the spin reduction. It's that simple.

Add me to this. Rather than my ProV1x ripping back on receptive greens and ballooning in the wind, the TP5x has been a godsend.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

I prefer the TP5X this year. Just loved every aspect of the ball. It flew long off the tee abd checked up and spun around the greens when i wanted it to. Couldn't ask for more plus its about a sleeve cheaper than prov

More like one ball cheaper. Buy 11 get one free lol. $49.99 v $44.99. But I'm looking the ball as well. But it's all personal preference. Buddy plays Pro V1X and hates the TM ball. Had a couple free sleeves that he tried and said they felt like rocks to him.

To each his own.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Your results will vary of course but mine are as follows....

Long Time ProV1X player since playing for HS/College. Made the switch a couple years ago to the Z-StarXV and it is a great ball with the 17' being even better! Of course with the "ho" in me and rumors of the TP5 balls being so great I purchased some. Out of the box and 1st day on course played the TP5X. Feel off the putter is just perfect for me, very soft but a slight click. Off the Driver it is great, High Launch with low spin and great feel. For me the Long irons down to my PW the ball is perfect. The feel is still great the ball is longer and it has drop and stop performance for me even on firm courses.

The "feel" wedge shots are where I was not "sold" at first. After a handfull of rounds I am not dialing the ball in. The ball would jump off my wedges and carry farther than I wanted and pitch on the green and then 1 more hop and settle. I can say for me I have now adjusted to the ball and have dailed in my distances with the wedge shots.

When I drop another ball down to compare now Like my go to ZstarXV and hit the same shots. I am sucking the ball back more than I like. The TP5X takes some getting use to but once you do I think most will like it. But some will not. Just the way the cookie crumbles.

• Qi10- Kai’li White 60TX
  • Tsi3 5W -  Tensei White 70X
  • P790 3I - AD DI
  • P7TW 4-PW -  $ Taper
  • MG4 52 - 58 - $ Taper
  • GoodWood 
  • TP5X

Played the 2015 ProV1x for 2 seasons and did my normal buy 3 and get the 4th dozen free for the 2017 ProV1x, but also bought a dozen TP5X and the TP5. What I noticed with the 2017 ProV1X was that it preforms very similar to the 2015 but noticed a little more spin off the irons, a little more grab on the greens, and a more durable cover. With the TP5X versus the 2015 ProV1X, I found the TP5X to have a firmer feel, similar spin around the green, slightly higher ball flight, less spin on all clubs, and similar durability. Of the 2 I would lean to liking the 2017 ProV1X over the TP5, however my favorite ball this year is the TaylorMade TP5. it has a lower ball flight on all clubs, spin closer in line to the 2015 ProV1X off the irons, and more spin around the greens .

I always played the lower spin golf balls, but this year I actually think the TP5 would fit many "X" ball players better then the TP5X. Anyone wanting a little more greenside spin should play the TP5, and it will still be a better wind ball and lower spin off the driver then a Pro V1x.

Played the 2015 ProV1x for 2 seasons and did my normal buy 3 and get the 4th dozen free for the 2017 ProV1x, but also bought a dozen TP5X and the TP5. What I noticed with the 2017 ProV1X was that it preforms very similar to the 2015 but noticed a little more spin off the irons, a little more grab on the greens, and a more durable cover. With the TP5X versus the 2015 ProV1X, I found the TP5X to have a firmer feel, similar spin around the green, slightly higher ball flight, less spin on all clubs, and similar durability. Of the 2 I would lean to liking the 2017 ProV1X over the TP5, however my favorite ball this year is the TaylorMade TP5. it has a lower ball flight on all clubs, spin closer in line to the 2015 ProV1X off the irons, and more spin around the greens .

I always played the lower spin golf balls, but this year I actually think the TP5 would fit many "X" ball players better then the TP5X. Anyone wanting a little more greenside spin should play the TP5, and it will still be a better wind ball and lower spin off the driver then a Pro V1x.

For me, Trackman had TP5 (non X) spinning 300-500 more rpm then 2017 Pro V1x, and 200-400 more rpm than 2017 Pro V1.

I would agree TP5 is better in a cross wind, but I find both 17 Pro V's to do very well into the wind... Much better than 2015 versions.

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

i will wait to play these next year when they come out with the TP6X and can get these at walmart for $31/dozen.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I find the Pv1x to be more consistent and more durable

The Tp5x, spins like a mother greenside though

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I've been playing the TP5X since it was released. It has a perfect feel for an X ball. Probably the softest X ball out there. I have been enjoying the drop and stop reaction I got with approach shots. As everyone has said, it performs great in the wind. My issue with this ball is consistency. I haven't had any. Also, I just haven't had any really great scoring rounds. Rewind to last weekend. Buddy has been Playing 2017 V1X all year. He gave me one, and I put it in play from the 1st tee. I played lights out. I was throwing darts. My iron distances were spot on, and I also caught back up with my buddy in driving distance.

Why?

This is purely an opinionated guess. No data. The only thing I can come up with is that with the TP5X spin would fluctuate from shot to shot much more than the V1X. Probably complete BS, but its what I came up with. This would cause inconsistencies in my iron distances. Whereas, with the V1X I shot the pin, got a yardage, swung and distances where spot on all day. I only had a two chips from of the green, and they bit more than I had become accustomed to with the TP5X. Also, I didn't have any shots rip back more than 5 ft with the 2017 ProV1X, which was nice compared to 2015 ProV1X.

So, I've switched back to the ProV1X a week before the City Championships. The thing is I'm not that worried about it because last weekend was the most consistent I've been all year.

Then again, I could've just been in the zone.

Update: Shot 75 78 +11. Pretty decent, but not great. Had more to do with putting than anything. Lipped out way too many birdie putts. 1 Birdie, 24 Pars, 10 bogeys, 1 dbl. Very happy with the performance of the 2017 ProV1X and will be gaming it for awhile. I just know what its going to do and can trust it. Fits my game well.

Played most of last year with the srixon xv and tonne honest I don't see my self changing until the tp5x made it onto the course!

I'm a high spin player so I think the tp5x has helped me control that! Instead of balls ripping back in getting hop stop which I find I can control way more!

On gc2 test I found the tp5x to be on average 4-7 yards longer per iron

I know distance isn't everything but it was also launching higher spinning a touch less and dispersion was much tighter!

I was sold after the iron testing then went into driver ball speed up 1.5mph on relative strikes launching higher with less spin (more distance)dispersion was pretty similar with both balls!

Then went out to the course tp5x off the putter is way softer feeling than the xv

Wedges I found again softer with tp5x and spin/stopping power to be very similar!

Both balls are fantastic in the wind!

For me I couldn't turn down the mid/long iron performance of the tp5x

Can't see this ball going anywhere for a while!

Both the TP5 and TP5x are both great balls but I kept going back and forth and couldn't decide which I liked best. Then I decided to settle back to my Chromesoft X and I'm happy. I could play any of the 3 though.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago