2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Best place to live, work and golf?

I second the don't move to Texas. We don't need anymore liberal minded Californians here. Californians are moving away from California in record numbers because they fouled it up and now that they're here in Texas, they're trying to foul up our state as well.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come to any major city in Australia. Housimg is expensive in Sydney and Melbourne, but the job market is good, decent courses can be found with yearly membership under $1500, and golf can be played year round (early tee times in summer). I live in the burbs of Sydney and pay $1000 a year for a decent course with great facilities less than 10 minutes from home.

Would love to go - what jobs for Americans w/ little skill and avg at golf?

A number of people I've known have relocated to the Denver area and really love it. They're scattered from Castle Rock to Boulder, but all seem to like the quality of life, availability of golf, proximity to the mountains, housing costs, school systems, entertainment, etc. Also has good airline access to about anywhere, and a short flight back to CA.

If you don't mind humidity, Charleston SC where I live is pretty spectacular. Housing is cheap (compared to CA), it's expensive for the south as is the cost of living but it's all relative here, it's dirt cheap compared to CT where I moved from. Golf courses are abundant and playable all year round. Food here is top notch, on par with Manhattan (not as much variety but the quality is phenomenal). History and architecture are stunning here. And did I mention the beaches? And Kiawah Island just 25 min away? Yeah. It's a nice place for sure. In fact, forget I said anything. Don't come here. It sucks.

I second the don't move to Texas. We don't need anymore liberal minded Californians here. Californians are moving away from California in record numbers because they fouled it up and now that they're here in Texas, they're trying to foul up our state as well.

I get the sentiment. However without knowing the OP personally, rude. I learned a long time ago that if I didn't want neighbors I had to buy the entire neighborhood. Since that isn't feasible, when they move in my wife makes them cookies, I go over and introduce myself, and hope for the best. Could this possibly be a better approach?

I am a refugee from So Cal for 7 years now and I completely understand you wanting to leave. Most of your wish list is met in St George, although I'm not sure it's the best place to work as wages are lower than SLC. If you work for a national company and your salary isn't connected to the location than I can say everything you are looking for is here. If you need to be in a larger metro area SLC is fairly big, but if it were me I would choose to live somewhere in Utah County (Provo / Orem area) as I think the living conditions there are much better than SLC. I lived in Provo while going to school and enjoyed it. There is reliable train and light rail from Provo to SLC which makes commuting easy.

Taxes are less, housing is considerably less, and the quality of life here cannot be beat IMO.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I get the sentiment. However without knowing the OP personally, rude. I learned a long time ago that if I didn't want neighbors I had to buy the entire neighborhood. Since that isn't feasible, when they move in my wife makes them cookies, I go over and introduce myself, and hope for the best. Could this possibly be a better approach?

No!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

A number of people I've known have relocated to the Denver area and really love it. They're scattered from Castle Rock to Boulder, but all seem to like the quality of life, availability of golf, proximity to the mountains, housing costs, school systems, entertainment, etc. Also has good airline access to about anywhere, and a short flight back to CA.

I know it's all relative to where you are coming from, but the Denver housing market is brutal right now.

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

No!

Lol! Again, sentiment understood. Can you afford the neighborhood of Texas? Yeah, me neither. Ha. I get that you guys have a good thing going there. But after all Alaska is at least three times your size, (ha?-don't get sensitive on me:)). I'm just saying before you slam the door shut on something you can't control, give it a chance. Maybe the cookies will be good, maybe they won't be. I'm partial to my wife's cookies. They're good. Maybe not the best but again I'm biased to enjoy them. Give those Cali cookies a shot man. They might suck, they might not. Even if they're the worst ever, you might as well enjoy them since there's not a damn thing you can do about them other than eat them with a smile or eat them with a frown.

Have a Texas sized evening, sir! :)

I am a refugee from So Cal for 7 years now and I completely understand you wanting to leave. Most of your wish list is met in St George, although I'm not sure it's the best place to work as wages are lower than SLC. If you work for a national company and your salary isn't connected to the location than I can say everything you are looking for is here. If you need to be in a larger metro area SLC is fairly big, but if it were me I would choose to live somewhere in Utah County (Provo / Orem area) as I think the living conditions there are much better than SLC. I lived in Provo while going to school and enjoyed it. There is reliable train and light rail from Provo to SLC which makes commuting easy.

Taxes are less, housing is considerably less, and the quality of life here cannot be beat IMO.

My brother who has lived everywhere over the last 25 years just bought a house in St George. He loves it, but he runs his consulting firm from home and has no children. St. George seems a little high on price for the job market and gets a lot of older snow birds from what I understand, maybe that isn't entirely true.

It's on the list of places though so we will be checking it out. :D

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

If you don't mind humidity, Charleston SC where I live is pretty spectacular. Housing is cheap (compared to CA), it's expensive for the south as is the cost of living but it's all relative here, it's dirt cheap compared to CT where I moved from. Golf courses are abundant and playable all year round. Food here is top notch, on par with Manhattan (not as much variety but the quality is phenomenal). History and architecture are stunning here. And did I mention the beaches? And Kiawah Island just 25 min away? Yeah. It's a nice place for sure. In fact, forget I said anything. Don't come here. It sucks.

I'm in the midwest but I was also going to suggest Charleston so it's good hear to that someone who lives there likes it. I'm hoping to visit early next summer before the humidity kicks in. My understanding is that the South Carolina economy is doing quite well.

The whole stretch from Charleston to St. Simons Island, GA is pretty special.

And not to offend anyone but do not consider Illinois. The state is circling the drain in more ways than one.

No!

Lol! Again, sentiment understood. Can you afford the neighborhood of Texas? Yeah, me neither. Ha. I get that you guys have a good thing going there. But after all Alaska is at least three times your size, (ha?-don't get sensitive on me:)). I'm just saying before you slam the door shut on something you can't control, give it a chance. Maybe the cookies will be good, maybe they won't be. I'm partial to my wife's cookies. They're good. Maybe not the best but again I'm biased to enjoy them. Give those Cali cookies a shot man. They might suck, they might not. Even if they're the worst ever, you might as well enjoy them since there's not a damn thing you can do about them other than eat them with a smile or eat them with a frown.

Have a Texas sized evening, sir! :)

Ehhhh, I understand where they are coming from, just as I don't want more people moving to California and squeezing me out of the place I have called home for 40 years, I get the fear of people coming in droves.

Texas is a BIG place so I am sure there are places to consider and some to avoid.

I do get a kick out of people who think California is all liberals. Take away LA, SF BAY AREA, and SD it's really not. .Just that is where most of the people live and or come to from foreign countries.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

I suggest looking at Idaho--especially the Boise/Meridian area. Socially, politically, and culturally, living in Idaho is like living in the 50's with all the modern amenities to make things more efficient.

We are getting lots of California cultural refugees here

I have a childhood friend who recently moved to Star, ID and loves it. Very nice homes in the $250-$300K range. He claims it doesn't get that cold in the winter as he thought but he only got there on the back end of last winter so maybe it varies by year.

The Boise area is much more temperate than most folks suspect--I believe most of the golf courses (and there are many) in that area are open and playable year round unlike in the part of Idaho I live in.

I'm in the midwest but I was also going to suggest Charleston so it's good hear to that someone who lives there likes it. I'm hoping to visit early next summer before the humidity kicks in. My understanding is that the South Carolina economy is doing quite well.

The whole stretch from Charleston to St. Simons Island, GA is pretty special.

And not to offend anyone but do not consider Illinois. The state is circling the drain in more ways than one.

Charleston is booming economically. Especially IT, it's actually referred to as the Silicon Harbor due to the influx of IT jobs here. And yeah, here down to that area of GA is referred to as the low country, and it's pretty awesome.

My brother who has lived everywhere over the last 25 years just bought a house in St George. He loves it, but he runs his consulting firm from home and has no children. St. George seems a little high on price for the job market and gets a lot of older snow birds from what I understand, maybe that isn't entirely true.

Once you check out the green fees in St. George and in neighboring Mesquite, Nevada, you'll probably have to give up on housing and food in order to play a couple of rounds a month.

Don't go anywhere. Stay where you are. Don't you realize how lucky you are? Seriously, the grass isn't greener where you think it is. Is this state messed up? Of course it is. But dog gone it, so is every other state out there and the weather absolutely blows everywhere else but here. SoCal has quite possibly the best weather from Jan-Dec in the entire world.

You're moving for all the wrong reasons. You're moving because you want more. You want less traffic, less taxes, better schools, a bigger house and property, etc. The only place that exists that's fits your bill is Alaska and the last time I checked, you can't swing very well when grizzly bears are in your backswing. And that's in the springtime!! And I haven't even mentioned the polar bears!!!!!!! Again, don't you know how good you have it right now? Much better sitting in traffic on the 91 vs. scurrying down to the basement because Hurricane JonesScott is fast approaching. You got it good son, reaaaaaaaaal gooooooooood.

I'll note a few cities I have lived in and the pros/cons

Cleveland - Very affordable and the public courses are better than average, but the climate is not great and it's Cleveland....

Chicago - Under no circumstances should anyone move to IL without family ties. As it has been mentioned the state is broke and will have no choice but to jack up taxes in the next few decades. Right now, taxes are relatively low, but there is no way they can stay that way as the state crumbles.

Seattle - The PNW is an amazing place with so much great nature. However, Seattle is really expensive and it is going to get so much worse in the next few years with the population booming. The golf is below average at best. In Chicago there are so many decent public courses within 45 minutes (more than 100), but in Seattle they are much farther from the city and not as good. Climate is very good though.

Milwaukee - I love this town. Affordable with decent golf. Frigid winters make it less than ideal if golf is a factor.

If I were targeting a new city, it would be Raleigh, NC. The climate is very good, minus a couple humid months in the summer. It's not too far from Pinehurst and the publics look decent around the city. It is relatively affordable and the Triangle is a good spot for white collar jobs.

Don't go anywhere. Stay where you are. Don't you realize how lucky you are? Seriously, the grass isn't greener where you think it is. Is this state messed up? Of course it is. But dog gone it, so is every other state out there and the weather absolutely blows everywhere else but here. SoCal has quite possibly the best weather from Jan-Dec in the entire world.

You're moving for all the wrong reasons. You're moving because you want more. You want less traffic, less taxes, better schools, a bigger house and property, etc. The only place that exists that's fits your bill is Alaska and the last time I checked, you can't swing very well when grizzly bears are in your backswing. And that's in the springtime!! And I haven't even mentioned the polar bears!!!!!!! Again, don't you know how good you have it right now? Much better sitting in traffic on the 91 vs. scurrying down to the basement because Hurricane JonesScott is fast approaching. You got it good son, reaaaaaaaaal gooooooooood.

Well you make good points except it isn't about me at all. It's about my kids and seeing neighborhoods turn to s&it and schools that are crap are a huge factor. Yeah I could move more inland to Eastvale or Corona only to be squeezed out in 10 years and then what? Hesperia , Victorville? That's pure ghetto now.

I am spoiled with the weather but when everywhere you go to enjoy the weather is overcrowded, it's something I can sacrifice a couple months out of the year. Unless you can afford to live in $1.5M neighborhoods, it's not what it once was.

What I will miss? Weather, Good Mexican food and going to lots of Anaheim Ducks games. That being said there is an NHL arena pretty close to everywhere.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Once you check out the green fees in St. George and in neighboring Mesquite, Nevada, you'll probably have to give up on housing and food in order to play a couple of rounds a month.

City courses are around $30 with a cart. In the summer there are deals everywhere for $35 - $55 which include cart, range balls and lunch. Compared to Palm Springs where I lived for most of my life I consider these prices pretty good.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

As an adult I've lived in the Midwest (Cincinnati and Lexington), SE (Jacksonville), West (Scottsdale*), NE (Manhattan*) and two foreign countries (Malaysia and Australia) for at least 14 months each. I've lived other places as well but they've been for 9-12 months so I'll skip them. . Based on your criteria I would rate my top 3 as Scottsdale, Sydney and Lexington. My personal rating is similar but I would put Manhattan ahead of Lexington if you ignore golf or move it down on the priority list.

I'm very lucky in that my job allows me to live anywhere I want and with a young child and a love of golf the easy choice is Scottsdale. So much so that even though it hasn't always been my primary residence over the last 20 years (post college) I've had a residence in Scottsdale continuously during that time that I went to as much as possible. Sydney is really the only close second and everything else is less.

Well you make good points except it isn't about me at all. It's about my kids and seeing neighborhoods turn to s&it and schools that are crap are a huge factor. Yeah I could move more inland to Eastvale or Corona only to be squeezed out in 10 years and then what? Hesperia , Victorville? That's pure ghetto now.

I am spoiled with the weather but when everywhere you go to enjoy the weather is overcrowded, it's something I can sacrifice a couple months out of the year. Unless you can afford to live in $1.5M neighborhoods, it's not what it once was.

What I will miss? Weather, Good Mexican food and going to lots of Anaheim Ducks games. That being said there is an NHL arena pretty close to everywhere.

Schools in Corona are excellent. Great city. 1 hour to Palm Springs, 1 hour to beach, 1 hour to mountains, 1 hour to supermarket (traffic..:)). J/k. Actually not really you know what I mean. lol. Temecula/Murrieta schools very very nice as well. High schools are some of the best in the state.

It's pretty good where I am but that'd be a big move for you :)

The weather in the south of UK is pretty good so I golf all year round. I have a choice of half a dozen golf courses within an hour's drive. I live in a small town that feels rural but I'm only an hour from London and Birmingham (not that I ever want to go anywhere near London). At the moment I drive past my golf club on my commute so in the summer I can pop in for 18 in the evenings.. Houses prices are a bit high especially for what you get but all in all it's pretty good for someone still working for a living.

You said east coast not preferable but consider North Atlanta area. Great schools and many golf course options. I live in Milton/Alpharetta area and a Club Corp member. Many courses close by with great options for year round play. High tech businesses moving into our area, been in IT for 25+ years.

Wasn't Club Corp. purchased by the Apollo Group?

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Lets be honest though. SoCal is stunning from a weather standpoint. Nothing better in the USA. But your traffic is horrid (at least in the more heavily populated areas). Your taxes suck. Your housing is stupid expensive. (I've been offered several jobs in SoCal and San Fran lately, so I've done the homework on cost of living and taxes compared to other areas in the US) And you have these things where the whole frigging earth shakes and moves. I'd rather deal with a hurricane than an earthquake any day, see we know when a hurricane is coming and can just evacuate and let your insurance sort out the mess if need be.

My point is, alot of places fit the bill he's describing. To me, it seems as though you have made the exact sort of compromises you're cautioning him against. You put up with the crappy traffic, high taxes, high price of real estate, and earthquakes in exchange for amazing weather, great golf, great schools, etc. No place is perfect. You just have to find the right balance of what you want vs what a place offers.

Phoenix/Scottsdale is pretty hard to beat for what you are looking for. I moved here from Columbus, Ohio almost a year ago and have fallen in love with it. Weather is really hard to beat for 8 to 9 months of the year. Golf courses are everywhere. There are plenty of great places to live in the city and suburbs. Schools in the Burbs are really good. There is a great food scene with seemingly endless good to great local restaurants. Lot of things to do here. Good nightlife, great restaurants, lot of outdoor activities. Golf can get pricey during spring training but other than it's not bad.

Cost of living is low. It's actually pretty comparable to the Midwest (I think it's something like 8% higher cost of living than Columbus, Oh... which was considered dirt cheap by most). Job market is also really solid. Phoenix has grown to the 5th biggest city in the country and companies have been following. More companies are moving here and some California based companies are taking a bigger presence here due to tax issue and costs with California.

We looked at moving to Texas... Phoenix had 3 major things over the cities in Texas we looked at that we liked a lot more than Texas: 1 - Traffic... Phoenix has almost no traffic. There is some, like all cities, but it actually has less traffic than Columbus and most of the Midwest cities did. Traffic in Houston.... good luck lol.... 2 - Phoenix is pretty (as long as you think desert-scape is pretty). Phoenix is actually really pretty. Drive no more than 15 minutes in any direction and you'll find a great hiking trail and you can really see how pretty it is. Many homes have mountain views. My home stares directly at Camelback Mountain. You can't find that in Texas. 3 - The food scene. We are foodies. Phoenix has a crazy amount of options and has seemingly countless options in all cuisine types. My parents always believe Phoenix was a bunch of Mexican restaurants and hotel restaurants.... Nope... not even close.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Lets be honest though. SoCal is stunning from a weather standpoint. Nothing better in the USA. But your traffic is horrid (at least in the more heavily populated areas). Your taxes suck. Your housing is stupid expensive. (I've been offered several jobs in SoCal and San Fran lately, so I've done the homework on cost of living and taxes compared to other areas in the US) And you have these things where the whole frigging earth shakes and moves. I'd rather deal with a hurricane than an earthquake any day, see we know when a hurricane is coming and can just evacuate and let your insurance sort out the mess if need be.

My point is, alot of places fit the bill he's describing. To me, it seems as though you have made the exact sort of compromises you're cautioning him against. You put up with the crappy traffic, high taxes, high price of real estate, and earthquakes in exchange for amazing weather, great golf, great schools, etc. No place is perfect. You just have to find the right balance of what you want vs what a place offers.

LOL! If you are going to use the threat of earthquakes, you might as well use the thread of buses to not live anywhere with roads or falling trees to not live anywhere near a forest ;) You're waaaaaay more likely to be hurt by those.

Forget the exact place the OP lives. Let's say it's Omaha instead of SoCal, I think Sharkie is making some great points about grass is greener and upping sticks to an unknown place. As you point out there is a balance to attain and maybe it's a lot closer (geographically speaking) than someone thinks :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.