2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Best place to live, work and golf?

I'd throw Florida on that short list. Coming from someone who lives in Houston, TX.

In my life (Living wise) I've gone Houston -> Orlando -> Los Angeles -> Houston

Florida was the least crowed, cheapest, and most golf.

As someone who lived in Orlando for 14 years and now unfortunately lives in Houston, I can confer.

Central FL is where you want to be. If I had my choice, I would live in the Black Diamond Ranch neighborhood. Great homes for under $300K, and 2 great courses.

I would NOT suggest you live south west. Living central is easy to get to airports and in and out of the state.

I really miss CFL golf.

PS: The best thing you can possible do for golf is join the FSGA (fsga.org). They are BY FAR the best run state golf organization. They have a 1-day schedule with gross and nett tournaments almost every day of the week, every week of the year. Cheap to play and includes the prize fund. You will get to play excellent (and many private courses) for very reasonable money.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This might be scoffed at by some, but I believe the "upper south" is a fantastic place to live. Specifically, Louisville and Nashville. Both cities are great places to live and work. Cost of living is low compared to other similar cities in different parts of the country. You get to experience a climate that has all four seasons. Both cities are growing at a high rate. Great places to locate a business with quick access to the majority of the population in the country. Both have out of this world food scenes. Plus you get a little bit of charm in both places.

I believe the private golf scene in Louisville is fantastic. They have that "known" private in Valhalla, but the plethora of other private options across all budget levels is really the draw. Louisville has in the ball park of 20ish private clubs. The low cost of living makes most of them affordable compared to other cities. Most of those are really top notch club's, with excellent conditioning and amenities. You'd be hard pressed to find a better collection of affordable, private clubs anywhere.

The Nashville area does not have as many private options, but the ones that are there are top notch. A better public scene too.

I think you'd be surprised at how far your money can stretch in these towns versus California. You wil have a larger house, more amenities, and a top notch club membership that you would not have in Cali. or some other places in the country.

Louisville's public golf scene is whack! It's so bad i wouldn't consider playing any of the metro parks courses. Agreed that someone can join a decent club for not a lot of $$ but kentucky is still really lacking in the quality golf offerings sadly (and i love kentucky!)

I agree with your assessment of Louisville's public scene. It is poor. I attribute that to the number of quality privates. Why play poor public tracks when you are a membe of a nice private AND have reciprocal privileges at many other quality clubs? I think Louisville has more than its share of quality golf offerings, they just happen to be private. I'd put Valhalla, Hustbourne, Big Spring, Louisville CC, Hunting Creek, Audobon, Persimmon Ridge, Harmony Landing, and Wildwood as a group up against about anywhere in terms of quality. And outside of Valhalla, Hustbourne, and LCC very accessible and affordable for the quality. Not to mention the many other respectable clubs in the area.

Salt Lake City is beautiful

It's also full of Mormons and @sshole drivers.

But there is a TopGolf....

I hear its a nice place to visit, but to move there you may deal with some issues if your not "one of there own". Especially if you are owning a business or doing B2B sales as your chosen profession. Someone I know (just his personal observation and nothing more) that does cover that territory frequently said the priority level of treatment in the business sector is :

Top level - Caucasian & Mormon

Followed by - Mormon and not Caucasian

3rd Tier - Caucasian and not Mormon

4th Tier - Non Caucasian / Non Mormon

So basically the same as everywhere, just substitute whatever regional power group exists. Mormons are just easier to single out because they stick out. I have moved enough to see this be the case everywhere (Jewish, Asian, Black etc, etc,). Las Vegas and Arizona also have high concentrations of Mormons, but not like Utah.

Yeah but Utah is to the extreme. 3/2 beer. Can't get a drink in a bar without ordering food and something like you can't have more than 1 alcoholic drink before dinner is served at restaurants. Until recently (2009?) I think you had to be a member of a club to walk in and order alcoholic beverages in SLC. That is gone now but the point I am trying to make is that SLC is on a different level when it comes to that stuff than most other cities in country. They actually advertise on their tourist website that there are '400 places in Utah where you can get a drink'. Seriously, look it up....

Arizona has a high concentration of Mormons, I think Phoenix is the second biggest population in the country. But the city isn't legislated by the Mormons. SLC on the other hand...

I am not trying to say it's a bad place to live or anything like that. My friends who moved there had vacationed there a couple of times and knew the inconveniences but assumed they were simple inconvenience's. After less than 12 months they are miserable and are moving out. They are also early 30's, not having kids and live a very active life. So for them, the lack of a restaurant scene and any real form of night life really killed everything for them. But as a place for raising a family and kids?? I'm sure it's a totally different experience. I just think before jumping all in on moving to SLC, you need to consider the potential impact of their quirky laws.

I am very interested in what kind of night life a married couple in their early 30s are seeking? I realize they don't have kids, but it is not like you can't get a high quality meal and get drunk as a skunk in SLC. What SLC lacks Park City probably provides. It is one of the great ski destinations in the country. Tons of celebrities have second homes in the PC and Heber area. The things to do in the SLC/Northern Utah area are virtually limitless. Great golf, unlimited outdoor sports from kayaking to fishing to hiking to hunting to skiing. Tour of Utah, great biking, an avid running culture. The NBA, two major college football teams, one being in the Pac-12. Several minor league sports teams. Every major music act comes through. A few hours drive to Zions, Bryce, etc., about 7 hours to Vegas. You can even drive to California in a day.

SLC has a lesbian mayor for goodness sakes.

I realize there is some funky laws here and there and the church dabbles in the state politics, but it is a minor issue considering all of the positives. You have to pretty thinned skinned and wound pretty tight to let some of the little cultural nuances bother you.

I will yield that Utah probably ranks dead last in the country in quality Pizza.

I am very interested in what kind of night life a married couple in their early 30s are seeking? I realize they don't have kids, but it is not like you can't get a high quality meal and get drunk as a skunk in SLC. What SLC lacks Park City probably provides. It is one of the great ski destinations in the country. Tons of celebrities have second homes in the PC and Heber area. The things to do in the SLC/Northern Utah area are virtually limitless. Great golf, unlimited outdoor sports from kayaking to fishing to hiking to hunting to skiing. Tour of Utah, great biking, an avid running culture. The NBA, two major college football teams, one being in the Pac-12. Several minor league sports teams. Every major music act comes through. A few hours drive to Zions, Bryce, etc., about 7 hours to Vegas. You can even drive to California in a day.

SLC has a lesbian mayor for goodness sakes.

I realize there is some funky laws here and there and the church dabbles in the state politics, but it is a minor issue considering all of the positives. You have to pretty thinned skinned and wound pretty tight to let some of the little cultural nuances bother you.

I will yield that Utah probably ranks dead last in the country in quality Pizza.

I think that people have some misconceptions about SLC. SLC and Park City are both pretty liberal places. I grew up in SC and moved to Utah in 1992 as a non-Mormon with no preconceptions about Utah. I moved for the incredible scenery and skiing. Never once as a single guy in my 20s did I feel like it was any different than anywhere else in terms of nightlife. To be honest, I had the time of my life in Salt Lake and convinced a friend of mine to move out to SLC just because of how beautiful the women were.

I live in Utah County now and that is a bit more conservative than Utah, but as a family man in my 40s, it's perfect.

Also, Kansas, Minnesota, Colorado, Oklahoma, and Utah all have 3.2% beer. It's not just a Utah thing, but we always seem to catch the most hell over it.

Oklahoma City (Edmond) is on my wife's short list of places she would live. Has family in Hawaii, Charleston and Charolette... OKC > those in our opinion.

Also, OK has 3.2 beer but they also sell regular beer just not cold so you throw it in a fridge or cooler

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

This might be scoffed at by some, but I believe the "upper south" is a fantastic place to live. Specifically, Louisville and Nashville. Both cities are great places to live and work. Cost of living is low compared to other similar cities in different parts of the country. You get to experience a climate that has all four seasons. Both cities are growing at a high rate. Great places to locate a business with quick access to the majority of the population in the country. Both have out of this world food scenes. Plus you get a little bit of charm in both places.

I believe the private golf scene in Louisville is fantastic. They have that "known" private in Valhalla, but the plethora of other private options across all budget levels is really the draw. Louisville has in the ball park of 20ish private clubs. The low cost of living makes most of them affordable compared to other cities. Most of those are really top notch club's, with excellent conditioning and amenities. You'd be hard pressed to find a better collection of affordable, private clubs anywhere.

The Nashville area does not have as many private options, but the ones that are there are top notch. A better public scene too.

I think you'd be surprised at how far your money can stretch in these towns versus California. You wil have a larger house, more amenities, and a top notch club membership that you would not have in Cali. or some other places in the country.

Louisville's public golf scene is whack! It's so bad i wouldn't consider playing any of the metro parks courses. Agreed that someone can join a decent club for not a lot of $$ but kentucky is still really lacking in the quality golf offerings sadly (and i love kentucky!)

I agree with your assessment of Louisville's public scene. It is poor. I attribute that to the number of quality privates. Why play poor public tracks when you are a membe of a nice private AND have reciprocal privileges at many other quality clubs? I think Louisville has more than its share of quality golf offerings, they just happen to be private. I'd put Valhalla, Hustbourne, Big Spring, Louisville CC, Hunting Creek, Audobon, Persimmon Ridge, Harmony Landing, and Wildwood as a group up against about anywhere in terms of quality. And outside of Valhalla, Hustbourne, and LCC very accessible and affordable for the quality. Not to mention the many other respectable clubs in the area.

Serious question, not being a smartWord not allowed. What is considered reasonable for a private? Ours is so cheap we really don't what it's like out in the real world!

Downside, in addition to the cold, is taxes, and traffic at times. Housing is getting expensive but I know that's relative.

Any we can drink on Sunday now!!

The taxes are high yeah, but it supports the greenway and other things 90% of the cities here dont have. I lived in Canton, OH for 20+yrs and there wasnt a bike trail within miles. Heck, even sidewalks for that matter.

Id pay high taxes for the option to use a 30mi greenway trail any day. Last year I rode my bike to work for 4 months straight, it was a 40mi round trip and would be on public roads for 3mi total.

Minnesota, particularly Minneapolis area. There are many.... many pro level courses here. Great active lifestyle and transit setup. You can darn near bike anywhere in the city on a protected greenway trail.

Plus, you get a few winter months to take a break from golfing and try new sports. Skiing, cross-country skiing etc...

+1 if you don't mind the cold. There are 50+ courses (public and private) within an hours drive of Minneapolis so great variety. The Brainerd Golf Trail is just 2.5 hours north for summer golf trips and Minneapolis is a hub for Delta so easy non stop flights everywhere, including Phoenix and Fort Myers/Naples (for winter getaways).

Good schools, college, pro sports, killer food/craft beer scene, very good museum/theater scene, too.

Downside, in addition to the cold, is taxes, and traffic at times. Housing is getting expensive but I know that's relative.

Can't emphasize enough about the cold. f*** it's cold there.

If you have the luxury to work anywhere you want, I'd rank my region as pretty attractive for a golfer.

We have two nice public championship length courses that are reasonably priced. We have a 27 hole private club that's a very fun layout and also reasonably priced compared to bigger market privates. Unfortunately management let another awesome course about 45 minutes away take a lot of damage this winter, so we lost one for the time being, but it is another great layout and a little higher elevation which was a good summer treat in years past. We have a local airport that connects to all of the big hubs on the west coast a couple of times per day, you pay a little premium, but it's nice flying in and out of a small airport.

We get a ton of nice golf weather, a little warm in the middle of the summer, and can be a little wet and foggy in the winter, but after four years of living here I'd say it's rare that a week goes bye without some reasonably good golf weather.

We're within pretty easy striking distance of both Bandon and Bend which has become a golfing mecca. Not to mention close enough to the Monterey peninsula to work a 4 or 5 day trip in with a stop over in San Francisco.

I'm trying to figure out how to budget and fit my work schedule around a week or two of travel in both winter and summer to get a little relief from the extremes of the season, but that would just be a luxury.

PM me if you can't figure it out. :)

You forgot the lure of lions, tigers, and leopards :tongue:

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I'll nominate Orlando. Good economy with a moderate rate of 4-year grads per capita (which is very important). No state income tax and a moderate cost of living. The traffic isn't too bad except around Disney and in downtown around rush hour. But, there is much more to Orlando than downtown and Disney. House pricing is reasonable.

Not a lot of private courses in the area, but the ones they have are very good although it may be a private equity membership or just plain pricey. But, you have tons of public courses you can play for cheap. My dad and I played Championsgate CC for $30 last week and you're just not going to find a deal on a course like that almost anywhere else.

You can join some courses as a member, they just are not exclusively private. But most people end up preferring to play all of the great public courses which are not very busy for about 8 months out of the year. And when they are busy, the weather is at its best.

Weather wise, you don't have to shovel snow. October thru December is typically beautiful and Jan thru March is very nice. It will probably take a few years to get used to the summer heat, but you'll eventually find that May thru July aren't too bad. it's just that August can be unbearable and you never know what you're going to get in September.

People are pretty friendly and outgoing as well. If there's a downside it's that most don't last for more than 5 years before moving somewhere else. And it's also a bit odd to see so many people come in for 4 months and then disappear for 8 months.

You're also about 90 minutes from Tampa, 90 minutes from Jacksonville, 40 minutes from the beaches, 3 hours to Miami and Naples. And they are usually fairly easy drives on flat lands and highways.

It's a very recreation oriented city, so even if you don't want to golf, there's tons of other activities you can do to occupy your time.

RH

IMO a city of Louisville's size should offer at least one quality public course is all i'm saying/wishing. I'd be fine if they closed a couple of the goat ranches down, sold the land and then hired a good group to come in a renovate one of the publics. Make it something worth seeing if you're in town. I look at the little 9 hole course down the road from me, Winter Park 9 as a prime example. The city did an awesome job with the renovations and it's all i could want in a public course. Yes, Louisville can offer the private membership without breaking the bank but i think a nice public course in the mid $40's-$50's price point would do very well. Then again it is Louisville and nothing changes. One can dream though

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 8.0 HZRDUS 6.5
Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ping Tour 75X
Cobra King Tec 19.0 Tour AD DI-105 X
Miura AS-1 4-P Dynamic Golf Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 50,55,60 Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron X5

Can the SLC or Utah guys elaborate on the winter climate? That would seem important for golf.

In one of these threads a year or so ago someone recommended a spot in the southern corner (I don't recall exactly where or the name) of Utah as having an ideal year round climate.

M6 10.5
M4 3W
Titleist 816h 21
CF19 5-AW
SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
Byron Morgan 612
V1X/ERC Soft

Can the SLC or Utah guys elaborate on the winter climate? That would seem important for golf.

In one of these threads a year or so ago someone recommended a spot in the southern corner (I don't recall exactly where or the name) of Utah as having an ideal year round climate.

Mentioned earlier in this thread: St. George (personally cannot comment on it, as I have not lived there, but that is likely what you are referring to)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

As someone who grew up in TN and FL, lived most of my post college life in Central/Norcal (SLO-Santa Cruz-HMB), but also lived in Newport Beach and Huntsville, AL; I would say, nothing beats Nor/Central Cal for lifestyle, food, weather, and golf. Northern AL is nice, golf is quality and cheap, but the humidity is so brutal. In Santa Cruz and Bay Area in general, there is only rush hr traffic vs. constant in LA. Housing is ridiculous for sure. I think Nashville would be great. The tech industry has killed the arts and music scene in the Bay area. There are lots of crazies in the south, but just as many in the west, they just lean hard to opposite sides. Nashville is nice because there are people from everywhere, but there is still southern tradition, great food, nightlife, and affordable living.

In the SLC area you can usually play until November usually before the snow starts and then the courses will open up again around April. It snows a fair amount during the winter, but it is a drier snow that doesn't get icy and the roads are generally clear. It doesn't really feel that cold in the Winter because of the lack of humidity and the coldest it will get is into the teens for a week or two in January. Overall, it is a very pleasant Winter, especially compared to the Mid-West or Northeast. As far as golf goes in the Winter, St. George, Mesquite, NV or Las Vegas aren't bad drives and they generally have great weather that time of year. I also took my son to Moab for golf a few times this Winter. In the Summer, St. George and Moab can get pretty hot, but still should be nice for early morning golf.

Serious question, not being a smartWord not allowed. What is considered reasonable for a private? Ours is so cheap we really don't what it's like out in the real world!

Most clubs in the Louisville area have initiations in the 5-10k range. Usually payable over several years. Monthly dues range from $250-$400. Valhalla, Hurstbourne, Louisville CC, and possibly a few others have initiations that are significantly more, but dues probably still fall in that range.

Illinois. Lots of public courses in central part of the state. Taxes are around 5 pct on income. Property tax are higher than Texas or Florida but home prices much cheaper than the coasts. Bloomington Illinois has State Farm hq. and Decatur has ADM.

I like IL (was just there and played some golf), but it's run by a bunch of crooked politicians who are bankrupting the state. And I mean literally the state is ready to go bankrupt. Taxes just went up and will have to keep going up, and people are fleeing the state. Pains me to say it because there's a lot to like about it otherwise.

I agree. The property taxes my sister and her husband pay are breathtaking. They will be turning over the family business to their sons and retiring to NC.

IMO a city of Louisville's size should offer at least one quality public course is all i'm saying/wishing. I'd be fine if they closed a couple of the goat ranches down, sold the land and then hired a good group to come in a renovate one of the publics. Make it something worth seeing if you're in town. I look at the little 9 hole course down the road from me, Winter Park 9 as a prime example. The city did an awesome job with the renovations and it's all i could want in a public course. Yes, Louisville can offer the private membership without breaking the bank but i think a nice public course in the mid $40's-$50's price point would do very well. Then again it is Louisville and nothing changes. One can dream though

I agree with that. However, there are several nice public courses just outside the metro area. Chariot Run, Covered Bridge, Champions Pointe, and Old Capital are all a short drive from downtown in southern Indiana. Heritage Hills in Shepherdsville is also a good one that is just a few miles south of the city. IMO the east end is the area that badly needs a high end public facility.

Fort Worth is really nice I think. You'll still have traffic issues since it's the 4th largest metro area, but not as bad as the Dallas side. Five major sports, a Nascar event, two PGA tour events a year, Final Fours, Super Bowls, All Star games of all sports, still have your In and Out, start to get the feel of Texas vs Dallas, nice downtown that has a small town feel with great restaurants.

Don't expect to see any elevation changes like you'd see in California though. You can drive south to hill country though.

And there is manufacturing like you mentioned.

In search of solid contact...

Most clubs in the Louisville area have initiations in the 5-10k range. Usually payable over several years. Monthly dues range from $250-$400. Valhalla, Hurstbourne, Louisville CC, and possibly a few others have initiations that are significantly more, but dues probably still fall in that range.

Thanks. That does sound pretty reasonable.

I'm not about to up sticks, but I like the look of that Audubon Country Club. Old school design, with a railway, motorway, and airport right beside it ;)

Seriously though, $10k in and $400-something a month? Yes please.

F.T.

Don't pick Texas. We are full and don't need more Californians.

Thanks

If you do pick Texas, El Paso and Midland should suit you.

Now we all know what the DB in your name refers to.

Paradym 10.5

Epic 3w 15

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titelist T150

Callaway Jaws 5 50*, 54*

Cleve Zip 60*

Ping PLD3/Rahm Rossie S/TP Mills Fleetwood custom

If not in the USA then I would say South Africa!

Great weather no really winter and tons of different style of golf courses!

RSA is turning into commie country. If you are White, forget about it. Asians like me used to have "honorable" White status. I am sure no longer the case.

Being South African, and having lived in the USA for the last 24 years, I can tell you that if my wife and kids were not Americans (and even though I am a naturalized citizen), I would return to SA in a heartbeat.

Yes the government sucks (waaaaaaaay more than here), but you cannot beat the people and the lifestyle it offers. If you have a fixed income, and especially if that income is USD, you can live like a King in SA. You have to remember though that it is a 3rd world country, so you will not have all the amenities that you have here. But if you live in or near a large city like Cape Town, you will be just fine.

Personally, I love Cape Town, but I would be VERY happy to live in George or Mossel Bay.

Now when I am saying South Africa, I really mean the Western Province. I literally couldn't give 2 cents about the rest of the country. The WP is DA controlled, so infrastructure is way better, and the province is far less corrupt. I wish the WP would secede from the rest of SA.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

I'm not about to up sticks, but I like the look of that Audubon Country Club. Old school design, with a railway, motorway, and airport right beside it ;)

Audubon is indeed a great track. It would be one that has an initiation a bit on the higher end, but dues would certainly fall in the $400ish per month range.

I'm telling you, Louisville has fantastic private clubs at reasonable prices. Very lucky around here.

Audubon is indeed a great track. It would be one that has an initiation a bit on the higher end, but dues would certainly fall in the $400ish per month range.

I'm telling you, Louisville has fantastic private clubs at reasonable prices. Very lucky around here.

Ya I google mapped a few, they look neat :)

There are no cool old school courses in Austin that are private. On the plus the old school courses are public. On the bad the affordable privates seem to be all from the 80s to the early 00s, where you need a cart, and they are surrounded by houses.

F.T.