RECAP: Titleist ProV1 Experience Thread, July 12-13. Behind the scenes at Titleist Headquarters!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both are great for low spin...

With the new Titleist Pro V1, you will experience even longer distance on all shots with lower long game spin and even more consistent flight, along with Drop-and-Stop greenside control, very soft feel and long lasting durability.

Player Benefits

• NEW Longer Distance
  • Lower long game spin
  • NEW More consistent flight
  • Drop-and-Stop greenside control
  • Very soft feel
  • Long lasting durability

With new Titleist Pro V1x golf balls, you will experience even more consistent flight, extraordinary distance with high launch and low spin in the long game, Drop-and-Stop greenside control, soft feel and long lasting durability.

Player Benefits

• Extraordinary Distance
  • NEW More consistent flight
  • Low long game spin
  • Drop-and-Stop greenside control
  • Soft feel
  • Long lasting durability

Really confusing stuff, I played the X before but sounds like I should have liked the regular. I'm still playing '16 versions and can't decide which to go with. I'm a low launch low spin guy

Based on what they told us during the launch I would play the X as you're going to get a higher launch with that vs. the 2017 Pro V1. Based on my trackman numbers I saw a higher launch with the 2017 X.

No, I'm already low spin. I need higher spin on long irons without sacrificing driver spin. I can go to their website to read what they say about the ball, I'm asking those of you who were there for an opinion not a copy and paste of marketing material. You were all fit for a golf ball right? I haven't seen any info I can apply to my own search.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Really confusing stuff, I played the X before but sounds like I should have liked the regular. I'm still playing '16 versions and can't decide which to go with. I'm a low launch low spin guy

Based on what they told us during the launch I would play the X as you're going to get a higher launch with that vs. the 2017 Pro V1. Based on my trackman numbers I saw a higher launch with the 2017 X.

So not a true swapping of the ball characteristics then? I liked the previous V1 more on most shots but it was noticeably shorter off the tee and with long/mid irons which I wasn't willing to deal with.

No, I'm already low spin. I need higher spin on long irons without sacrificing driver spin. I can go to their website to read what they say about the ball, I'm asking those of you who were there for an opinion not a copy and paste of marketing material. You were all fit for a golf ball right? I haven't seen any info I can apply to my own search.

I am a high launch and high spin player (driver around 110 MPH) and I was fit for the Pro V1. They both similar in spin numbers but the Pro V1 launched lower which gave me better distance and I like that look better. Also leave your previous conclusions you had the older versions of the Pro V1 as the 2017 is a different ball than the prior versions. What I would recommend for finding the right ball is the following:

- Start with putter (which feel do you like better)

- Wedges compare the flights and spin (if you have a trackman or just use flights)

- Then go irons and then driver. (same as above)

I was always fit the other way and this new way was such an eye opener

the X is higher spin. Its says it right there

the X is higher spin. Its says it right there

What I saw they were similar to spin but I guess that is my swing

I have access to a FS so I'll try that. Usually I've used them enough to eyeball everything, that's what 200+ rounds a year will do. I just happened to get a great deal on a bunch of X's when my club was getting ready to send back excess inventory so the only balls I've tried this year have been other brands like the TP5 to see what the hype is about.

I think what most readers want to know is the actual numbers for each ball based on trackman, etc... as well as which ball you chose and why?

Also, was any of the testers fit into any other ball from the Titleist line-up or were the only choices the V and X (sorry if I missed that somewhere)?

Driver- TM 510 Tour
4 Wood- Titleist 970 Silver 17
Irons- PGA Diamondback Blades (RAW) 2 (20)- PW (52)
Sand Wedge- Scratch Don White 56
Lob Wedge- Scratch Don White 60
Putter- Titleist Bullseye (Cameron WGC Special)
Ball- Titleist Tour Speed

Looks like another great trip!

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I think what most readers want to know is the actual numbers for each ball based on trackman, etc... as well as which ball you chose and why?

Also, was any of the testers fit into any other ball from the Titleist line-up or were the only choices the V and X (sorry if I missed that somewhere)?

Exactly. We've got 8 members who just went there, wtf do I care about marketing material!!

Exactly. We've got 8 members who just went there, wtf do I care about marketing material!!

u said you needed more spin....only 1 choice between the 2 balls. i was just showing u that trying to be helpful.....sheesh

Awesome trip fells! Titleist always does such a great job. Congrats!

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

thanks for giving us a peak at how the balls are made. I did have a question that maybe somebody could answer.

Why would they electrocute a ball, what reason makes them do that ?

thanks

Get any particles off it that could potential compromise quality.

Ok, thanks for the fast answer.

Sure seems like they go through a lot of checks to be sure the balls are the best they can be .

Looks like I will be dumping the srixons and staying with the prov 1 I have been using .

thanks for giving us a peak at how the balls are made. I did have a question that maybe somebody could answer.

Why would they electrocute a ball, what reason makes them do that ?

thanks

Get any particles off it that could potential compromise quality.

Ok, thanks for the fast answer.

Sure seems like they go through a lot of checks to be sure the balls are the best they can be .

Looks like I will be dumping the srixons and staying with the prov 1 I have been using .

There QA process if off the charts! They want to ensure you have the most consistent ball out there and making sure nothing gets in the way of that. (particles, paint etc...)

So I figured I would go through and answer some of the questions before diving into my day 2/final recap of my trip, sorry I didn't leave all the quotes, it told me I had too many.

Any comments on the differences between the two pro Vs? Lot of confusion this year with supposedly switching the characteristics. Does one ball do the same thing for a large majority of people, I.e. if the pro V spins more than the X does it do so for everyone? Any more comments from the ball fitting? For how much time I've spent dialing in clubs, I tend to just grab the pro v1x and go without doing much testing.

I'm in the same boat. Pro V1X user pretty much exclusively since 2013. SS is somewhere 115-120, high launch, high spin. One of the things I was hoping to find out was were the changes noticeable (they were) and would I have any issue with the feel of the other ball (I didn't)

Wedge shots and 7 iron shots on track man were very similar between the 2 balls for me. Both balls preformed really well, spun enough, my landing angle was slightly higher with the Pro V1X than the regular V1.

Driver shots were a different story. I have no issue getting height, so one thing I was looking to do was to hit it slightly lower so into the wind I wouldn't have so much trouble. The flight difference is noticeable to the eye. If it's soft I can almost always find my pitch mark from a driver right near my ball, with the V I'm now getting a little roll and that pitch mark is a little further back, but the visual difference in flight is pretty noticeable.

so you are saying every other ball in the world is the same, except for titleist? they just have different names on the cover?

Not at all. One of the great things about seeing all the competitors golf balls is that you can see for the most part golf balls are very different, core size, core shape, materials,cover, dimples, etc. It's all a formula and those pieces need to work in unison to provide a golf ball that performs to the highest level.

Are you aloud to disclose what those balls were?

They didn't say I couldn't...I'll just say there is a ball out there that markets itself as environmentally friendly when in reality it's the same as 25 other golf balls produced under various names, and that the core is comprised of a rubber that depending on the specific ball you cut open may have steel belts in it...

Can keys have a GPS locator on them? LOL

So the other guys have been very kind so far for not bringing this up, but somehow in my excitement of the 2nd Morning I managed to leave my Car Keys in our little chartered van. It was compounded by myself insisting I had left them in my golf bag. We double checked the van, my golf bag, my room, had AAA come and unlock my car, and eventually my Keys turned up at the van companies office.

Big shout out to Eric Sorderstrom from the communications department who not only drove me to get my Keys, but then to golf down in Warwick and finally back to the Hotel after to pick up my car. One of the big things about Titleist that makes them who they are is the people. Eric couldn't have been nicer and made me feel at ease despite me being a moron.

so you are saying every other ball in the world is the same, except for titleist? they just have different names on the cover?

No, but there are only a few companies that manufacturer golf balls, and some companies, even the larger ones who need a new golf ball will call and say "We need a 4 piece ball, urethane cover, 350 dimples, compression around 70) then send over graphics logos, and that company will manufacturer the ball to the spec asked.

On a side note, doesn't Bridgestone have their own ball making facility as well?

they do, a few, and Titleist can tell you which specific factory a specific B330 came out of when they cut it open.

what was the most surprising thing of the trip? the way the ball is made, the science behind it? maybe something you thought you knew but didn't?

Truly the science behind it. One of my first stops on Day 1 was in R&D where prototypes are made. They had some sort of molten material that was coming out in strings, being fed through cold water down to an end where it was then blown dry, and cut into little pellet type pieces. I believe this was for some part of the ball cover. The things that they will try just to see if they work is amazing. They don't cut corners or costs when it comes to making their products.

Day 2: Recap

So day 2 of fantasy camp was a little more laid back. We started by going back over to Acushnet HQ and meeting with some of the people we met the day before and just sharing with them how the experiences from the 2nd part of our day went (Manchester Lane and Ball Plant III.) We then headed over to Custom, where we got to see how the My Pro V1's are made. The pad printing process, which allows them to print a straight line on a curved surface is a pretty neat process, and like mentioned above, if you order custom golf balls, they have to make a custom plate for each order.

I don't know if it had been mentioned, but golf ball production is a 24 hour a day 5 day a week operation. During the holidays and royalty rewards season they can and do ramp that up to 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

We actually got to see a few of the WRXers custom balls being made as we went through the custom plant. The "cheeks" balls put a laugh on all of our faces. We also got to see some of the custom packaging options which were pictured previously, and our nice little tote/shag gift bags.

This next part is where my day got a little hectic, as mentioned previously, had a little snafu where I left my keys on the shuttle and thought I was going to have to tow my car to VW to be re-keyed but thanks to Eric once again my day was saved and we got to head to Warwick CC in Rhode Island where we got to play 6 holes of golf before getting rained out. We had a nice little raffle for a couple of duffel bags that were supposed to be closed to the pin prizes before we all departed back to reality.

Overall the experience at Titleist was all that I could have imagined and then some but what I enjoyed most about the trip was the people. I posted initially that I would love to go to Titleist, but also wanted to get to meet a bunch of WRXers who were passionate about the game and equipment like myself. It was a great trip, with even better people, all of whom I hope to cross paths with again.

I hope you've enjoyed reading my posts, and if you have any questions I'll keep checking back to respond to any I see, until then, hit it hard and hit it straight.

-Mike Dubecky

Epic Speed LS 🔷🔷🔷 9* Hzrdus Hulk Smoke 6.5TX 
X Hot 3 Deep 14.5* Matrix Ozik 8M2 X Flex
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 KBS 105X
T-MB 4 PX LS 7.0

Nike VR Pro Combo Pocket Cavity 5 Iron, 6-9 Blades Oban 125X
RTX Zip Core 46 Oban 125X

Vokey 50M KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 54V KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 60M KBS Tour 130X
Champions Choice Newport Plus MMT 135

Here is my launch/spin numbers as I didn't take pictures so its coming off of memory:

56 Wedge: (I don't remember spin but they were similar)

Pro V1: Launch - 32 - 35

Pro V1x: Launch - 35-41

7 Iron (spin)

Pro V1: 6300-7000

Pro V1x: 6500 - 7500

Driver: (spin)

Pro v1: lowest spin was 2000 and highest was 2700

Pro v1x: lowest spin was 2400 and highest was 3000

Again spin is all about the strikes on the clubhead. I should have taken pictures but we were all a little nervous about showing pictures of performance.

Interesting numbers, wish they could make a ball that combines both! I need to spin numbers with the X, like the launch with the V, but if the X is one club shorter off the tee it negates any mid/long iron spin benefits because I'm hitting one extra club. That's in line with why I didn't play the V before and it sounds like I fit in the group who was told to switch it up for '17.

I Just took the time to read the whole thread, and I gotta say....you guys had a truly once in a lifetime experience that anyone who plays this crazy game would be envious of - at least I know that I am.

Congrats to Titleist for providing the experience, for WRX to have coordinated the event, and many thanks for the in depth reporting.

Now...I just need to know who to bribe, and how much, so that I can get in one of these trips!

Thanks Broth518 for your numbers recap

Were the only balls tested the V and the X? I am just interested because in literature, it shows the NXT Tour and S having very good spin numbers albeit with a surlyn cover.

One last thing, did they mention anything about a possible change in cover technology possibly away from urethane?

Driver- TM 510 Tour

Thanks Broth518 for your numbers recap

Were the only balls tested the V and the X? I am just interested because in literature, it shows the NXT Tour and S having very good spin numbers albeit with a surlyn cover.

One last thing, did they mention anything about a possible change in cover technology possibly away from urethane?

Yes we only tested the V and the X. Since we were all hardcore golfers and want what the tour players play that is why we stayed with those two. One interesting thing to note that there are a couple of tour balls on tour but majority of guys play the retain V and the X that you and I can buy. Other companies have tons of tour balls and you can't play them.

We talked about covers when we toured ball plant #2 but they didn't say anything about changing away from urethane.

Thanks again broth518 for your insight

Driver- TM 510 Tour

Here is my launch/spin numbers as I didn't take pictures so its coming off of memory:

56 Wedge: (I don't remember spin but they were similar)

Pro V1: Launch - 32 - 35

Pro V1x: Launch - 35-41

7 Iron (spin)

Pro V1: 6300-7000

Pro V1x: 6500 - 7500

Driver: (spin)

Pro v1: lowest spin was 2000 and highest was 2700

Pro v1x: lowest spin was 2400 and highest was 3000

Again spin is all about the strikes on the clubhead. I should have taken pictures but we were all a little nervous about showing pictures of performance.

guess it aligns with their marketing material.

Their marketing material isn't just fluff, it's the result of studying hundred of thousands to millions of golf shots. The attention to detail they have there is 2nd to none. I didn't want to believe the hype, but when I hit the ball, outside, with my real clubs, the notice in height at least for me (I'm a sky ball hitter) was enough to tell to the naked eye, didn't even need trackman to confirm. Needless to say I am a convert and will be gaming the V opposed to the X I've used the past 4 seasons.

Epic Speed LS 🔷🔷🔷 9* Hzrdus Hulk Smoke 6.5TX 
X Hot 3 Deep 14.5* Matrix Ozik 8M2 X Flex
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 KBS 105X
T-MB 4 PX LS 7.0

Nike VR Pro Combo Pocket Cavity 5 Iron, 6-9 Blades Oban 125X
RTX Zip Core 46 Oban 125X

Vokey 50M KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 54V KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 60M KBS Tour 130X
Champions Choice Newport Plus MMT 135

I think the electrocution had 2 effects, the second being to harden the outside of the core.

My numbers were similar to broth 2250-2800 with the v, 2400-3100 with the x. V had a lower launch on the wedge by a 2-4 degrees. 7 iron spin was within 200 rpms. Noticeably lower, though not to low, and more penetrating flight with the driver.

Titleist Trip - New Bedford

Titleist TSi3 8* with Tensei AV Raw White 65X
Titleist 915 Fd 15 with diamana d+80X
Titleist 918H2 18* with Tensei CK White 90X
Titleist ap2 716 4-gw with Amt x100
Vokey sm9 54, 58 with Amt x100

Evnroll ER2

I am a full titleist guy and I have never thought their marketing was hype like other brands.....some other people didn't want to see the marketing data but I guess it held true in the end.

I thought so as well until I saw it live in person. Titleist is the real deal as far as performing scientific testing and collecting data. They want every nanometer of data they can get!

Another thing that just came to me, was how impressed I was with the attitude of every Titleist member I met towards every other companies, be it ball makers, club makers, testing equipment makers, etc. They flat out refused to say one negative thing about them. Its easy to trash competitors, but with Titleist, the high road was taken time after time. They simply let the fruits of their labor do the talking. You don't see that everyday, especially in competitive markets.

Titleist Trip - New Bedford

Titleist TSi3 8* with Tensei AV Raw White 65X
Titleist 915 Fd 15 with diamana d+80X
Titleist 918H2 18* with Tensei CK White 90X
Titleist ap2 716 4-gw with Amt x100
Vokey sm9 54, 58 with Amt x100

Evnroll ER2