2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

18 birdies app

I tried this app for several rounds and I like it a lot. It's free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu_3BnffJew

https://18birdies.com

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. I've have it and reallly like it as well. Although, I do give a slight edge to the grint app. I also use an old Golfshot version which my gps is still grandfathered for the gps because they switched to a yearly membership/has ads. Payed $30 a few years ago. But, I primarily use the grint because of the live leaderboards and automatic official handicap service.

http://www.golfwrx.com/406976/917-vs-915-results-from-the-ultimate-titleist-driver-fitting-experience/

• 8 months later...

Anyone have any experience using this app for live scoring of one of your competitions?

Thinking of using this for a 20 man golf trip where we have quite a few competitions set up. Any experiences with live scoring??

TaylorMade SLDR 460 12*+1* stock stiff
Tour Exotics XCG 15*; Mizzuno 19* MP-650
Callaway X-20 Tour 4 - PW; PX 6.0 shafts
Titleist Vokey SM 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Teron, 35" Super Stroke 3.0
https://www.gamegolf.com/player/KevinR22

Anyone have any experience using this app for live scoring of one of your competitions?

Thinking of using this for a 20 man golf trip where we have quite a few competitions set up. Any experiences with live scoring??

A friend went on a 4 day trip with with 24 people and I recommended this app. It did well, kept scores and they loved the leaderboard.

A friend went on a 4 day trip with with 24 people and I recommended this app. It did well, kept scores and they loved the leaderboard.

Awesome. Thank you. Does 18Birdies do this with the free version, or would we need to pay extra?

TaylorMade SLDR 460 12*+1* stock stiff
Tour Exotics XCG 15*; Mizzuno 19* MP-650
Callaway X-20 Tour 4 - PW; PX 6.0 shafts
Titleist Vokey SM 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Teron, 35" Super Stroke 3.0
https://www.gamegolf.com/player/KevinR22

Awesome. Thank you. Does 18Birdies do this with the free version, or would we need to pay extra?

To the best of my knowledge, tournament style is pay version. I am not sure what the cost is.

Any of you use Golf Shot pro and compare them? So far out of all the apps I have not yet seen anything as polished as Golf Shot. But I'm also paying for it yearly.

I have golf shot pro as well as 18 birdies along with few other apps. I don't use Golf Shots too often unless I am playing new courses.

I generally use 18 birdies to keep track of my stats, my Garmin S20 watch for most yardages and my range finder for exact distances.

Any of you use Golf Shot pro and compare them? So far out of all the apps I have not yet seen anything as polished as Golf Shot. But I'm also paying for it yearly.

agree -- GS Pro is all i use when using GPS.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

agree -- GS Pro is all i use when using GPS.

I went with GolfPad over Golf Shot Pro. I liked the setup and fond easier to use. i just downloaded 18 Birdies so I ll give it a go.

I played around with this app last night and while its nice its not even close to Golfshot, IMO. And while its free right now and its not going to always be free as it says so in the app when you open it.

Its set up fairly decent and clean. But its just not as good as Golfshot. And it doesnt keep track of your club used off the tee which I love to look back on and know. For me though I'll keep using GS as I find it cleaner and more polished.

I used it 2 weeks ago for the 1st time, I am doing the free version for now. I wear a GPS watch but was nice to see the aerial view on the hole and it saved us on 2-3 holes as I couldn't see the water.

I used the scorecard feature as well and it worked fine. I have an iPhone 6S and it used about 30-35% of my battery for 18 holes. I would use it again.

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

Its set up fairly decent and clean. But its just not as good as Golfshot. And it doesnt keep track of your club used off the tee which I love to look back on and know. For me though I'll keep using GS as I find it cleaner and more polished.

Nothing is free forever. 18Birdies announced paid 'Premium' version today that adds club tracking, etc. --

"I can't believe it's been almost two years since we launched 18Birdies at the annual PGA Merchandise Show! It's been a fun, but wild ride so far and I couldn't be more excited about where we are headed.

Since its inception, my team and I have been hard at work making 18Birdies a product that not only gives you tools to improve your on-course game, but also to share your best golf moments with friends and the fast-growing 18Birdies community. We've put the best technology and engineering talent to work in order to create a truly social golf experience: live scoring, sharing, leaderboards, games and tournaments.

As we've built 18Birdies and listened to the community, it's become clear that there are avid golfers out there like me that take the game very seriously and require additional functionality to support their needs. For this reason, we're excited to announce that we will make an 18Birdies Premium Membership available to you very soon!

Premium members will get everything that is included in the app today, plus a number of brand new features including:

• Advanced GPS: In addition to distance measurement, we'll give you elevation and weather data (temperature, humidity and wind) to help you plan the perfect shot.
  • Caddy+: Add clubs to your golf bag and get personalized distance and club recommendations from your own digital caddy. Over time, Caddy+ will get smarter, learning from your shot history and real-time course conditions.
  • Shot Tracking and History: Get deeper on-course insights by tracking your shots. Record distance, shot shape, quality and power to measure progress and further personalize club recommendations in Caddy+.
  • Advanced Stats: Get more insight into your game with new charts and custom filters to better understand your progress and how you stack up against the competition.
  • GameBets: Full access to our growing library of side-games - including Skins, Vegas, Match, Nassau, Stroke, Points, Dots (Junk) and Targets - that will let you start a betting game at any time during a round with anyone you want to compete against.
  • Group Outings: Hold a single or multi-round mini-tournament for up to 25 players. Play together on the same course or compete "virtually" on any course in the 18Birdies database.
  • Golf Bucks Multiplier: As a premium subscriber, you will get 2x the Golf Bucks for playing golf with 18Birdies to double your chances to win one of our awesome DreamGames prizes.

While I'm excited to offer additional features through our premium membership, I want to reassure you that we will always support the free version of 18Birdies by continuing to offer great features such as GPS+, digital scoring and stat tracking, live rounds and social connectivity, DreamGames, and being able to participate in tournaments and side games. As always, we will continue to update both versions of the app, and will be adding features to both our free and premium packages.

18Birdies is an extension of my love for golf and finding other ways to make the game more social and fun. When I first started playing, I would always play side games with my best buddies during rounds. We would make things interesting like make the loser carry everyone else’s golf bag... anything to add drama to our rounds. With my engineering background, I was always tasked with calculating the side bets, which took my focus away from the game and I knew there had to be a better way. After testing many expensive golf apps, the idea for 18Birdies was born and I decided to create a product for golfers like me, who want the game to be more fun, social and innovative.

For most people, golf can be frustrating, difficult or even boring. I founded 18Birdies with a singular mission - to focus on creating a product that would allow golfers to have a fun, positive and awesome experience, every time they play golf. This was a driving factor in launching our one-of-a-kind rewards program, DreamGames, which rewards golfers for playing, no matter their score or skill level. By collecting GolfBucks, players can win exclusive prizes and dream golf experiences.

To everyone who has shared feedback thus far, thank you! We continue to listen to you and are excited to be building out features that will make the game even more fun and social. On behalf of the entire 18Birdies team, we're excited to continue to provide the best and most complete mobile golf experience for players of all skill levels.

Thank you for your support and for being part of the 18Birdies family!

Sincerely,

Founder and CEO

I'm now deciding between Golfshot and Grint... :dntknw:

Go golfshot and you're golden

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

• 1 year later...

Bringing up an oldie here....

Trying to decide between the paid version of 18birdies and Golfshot. both seem very similar... both have stat tracking, decent GPS, etc. I have the free versions of both and it's kind of hard to compare since so many more features get unlocked with the paid version.

Has anybody used the paid versions of both? My main gripe with 18birdies is how long the GPS takes to find me sometimes. I'll be in the fairway and it will say X yards to the middle... then 6 seconds later it changes it's mind and says I'm a different distance. .... After I already took the club and hit my shot and flew the green.

My main gripe with 18birdies is how long the GPS takes to find me sometimes. I'll be in the fairway and it will say X yards to the middle... then 6 seconds later it changes it's mind and says I'm a different distance. .... After I already took the club and hit my shot and flew the green.

This is my main issue with 18birdies. Also, they "update" things pretty often which is usually a nice feature to get new options and bug fixes. However it seems like they they change on part of the app that used to be free then push it over to premium. The club suggestion based on the yardages I entered in was a nice feature to have to so as I am still working on remembering the yardages for each club. I have noticed this is gone now and I am forced to remember.

Now that I am ranting, I do remember a few times while playing yesterday at a backyard course in the area that it would say I was about 200 yards off to the right and I would have to manually move the cursor to my guestimated location.

I am now thinking of trying another app or just biting the bullet and getting a range finder.

• 4 months later...

comparing free GPS Apps is mind boggling with so many choices. Going through the threads on the forum is just as boggling for the same reasons.

I am looking for an android compatible app that can be used off-line once a course is loaded. Considering 18Birdies, Grint, or Hole 19.

I don't need a ton of features. Just something to replace my GPS watch (Garmin S2) which doesn't stay charged that long any more. I tried Golf Logix years ago, but found it useless on a sunny day as I couldn't see the screen.

anybody offer any specific help? I would greatly appreciate. Thanks!

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Driver: Titleist 913D

Fairway: Tour Edge XCG 7

Hybrids: Bobby Jones(Jesse Ortiz) Blackbird 3,4,5,6

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 MB (Rifle Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Tour Edge 52, 56 deg, Cleveland RTX 50 deg 

Putter: Odyssey Custom Metal X 7

comparing free GPS Apps is mind boggling with so many choices. Going through the threads on the forum is just as boggling for the same reasons.

I am looking for an android compatible app that can be used off-line once a course is loaded. Considering 18Birdies, Grint, or Hole 19.

I don't need a ton of features. Just something to replace my GPS watch (Garmin S2) which doesn't stay charged that long any more. I tried Golf Logix years ago, but found it useless on a sunny day as I couldn't see the screen.

Thanks Moderataor(s) for moving this thread. Perhaps more will see it now. I will try to be more observant in the future.

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Driver: Titleist 913D

Fairway: Tour Edge XCG 7

Hybrids: Bobby Jones(Jesse Ortiz) Blackbird 3,4,5,6

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 MB (Rifle Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Tour Edge 52, 56 deg, Cleveland RTX 50 deg 

Putter: Odyssey Custom Metal X 7

What I’ve found regarding gps apps, is they may be off by 5-10 yards at times. Garmin watches or laser finders will serve you so much better for distance. I like the 18 birdies app to track my putting and up and downs more than anything.

• 1 month later...

I am also trying TheGrint. It's got pretty good features in the free version. Much better features for free than Golfshot. I think it's also cheaper for the paid version ($20 vs $40) so I am going to try it out this week.

I’m interested if you ever settled on one. I’m in the same conundrum. Currently using the free version of 18 Birdies, mostly to keep score and stats rather than GPS.

I use the GPS to get a feel of the shape of the hole, then pair it with my range finder to get distance when I can see the flag.

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

TSR2 16.5 / Ventus TR Red 7X

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

Artisan HC 6-P / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Artisan 49, 54, 59 / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Revolving Putter