2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Phil wins - are caddies meaningless

FairwaysToHeaven

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outside of the 'job description' duties of the caddie within the group, not standing here or there, who holds the flag if your player is in first, bunkers, etc. Learning the yardages and conditions just might be easier than knowing when or when not to say something to a player. Learning the right message, right delivery ... vs. right message, wrong delivery so that the player will understand what you're trying to tell them. That's the mental part, interaction with player, that over the course of time is likely way more important than the bag skills.

Phil's brother is a high level player, played in a US Open qualifier held in my town a few years back. Div.1 college coach as well, so he's probably not the guy off the street comparison that others on tour have.

How about Patrick Reed having his wife caddie for him, and then her brother after she had kids?

caddies meaningless? yea.... thats in the running for dumbest thing ever said.... on same lines as saying " one shoe two shoes..it doesnt matter"... wow

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Think it would help most to have another set of eyes, on the greens especially. Also to have someone to talk about what kind of wind and club considerations on shot. Not saying their necessary for everybody.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I suppose It all depends on just who your 'Caddy' is... :taunt:

Probably more fitting for her to have the nickname Bones than Bones.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

A caddie can only help so much. It all comes down to putting a good swing on the back on the ball.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

a caddie who knows your game, knows your personality, knows the conditions, knows the course...can be priceless. if they don't help you 99% of the time, that ONE time they do, it could help you win the tournament. that goes for every decision that week. him telling you not to go for the green in two on a thursday, giving you a better or confirming a read on saturday...it goes a long way.

those who say a good caddie doesn't mean anything haven't had a great caddie before - just some guy to carry their clubs.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I'm not knocking caddies...but do high school players have them?? College players have them?? Really, caddies don't come into play unless you're a pro..or going to a destination golf course that staffs them.

97% to 99% of people playing golf { at least in the US} have never used or even seen a caddie on the golf course.

Depends on the player. Some need them more some less. Check out the Secret Tour Pro article in Golf Digest this month. I think it gives a decent perspective on it.

+1

Look at Lydia Ko vs. Michelle Wie.

Lydia Ko switched caddies & putters pretty often - with little variance in her success (until this year).

Michelle Wie switched caddies & putters pretty often - with little variance in her (lack) of success.

Some players rely on their caddies too much. Some caddies try to control their players too much. (i.e. Rich Beem's caddie in "Bud, Sweat & Tees").

after his scores this weekend... I guess Bones being the gentleman that he is..is not chuckling at all.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

after his scores this weekend... I am guess Bones being the gentleman that he is..is not chuckling at all.

came here to post similar.... i think we can all see how valuable Bones is .. yes?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Right now PJ Fitzgerald is worth whatever $ Rory makes this week.

amenn to that as well.. he seems to have had enough strength to pull Rorys huge head from his hind quarters...

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I'm not knocking caddies...but do high school players have them?? College players have them?? Really, caddies don't come into play unless you're a pro..or going to a destination golf course that staffs them.

97% to 99% of people playing golf { at least in the US} have never used or even seen a caddie on the golf course.

Correct you are . However 97-99% of us aren't playing a game where a single stroke can make or lose you hundreds of thousands of $. I can see a caddie helping with a couple strokes a round or tournament.

I think Phils time is past. Firing his coach and caddie will not help his errant drivers and long term ability to miss 3-4' putts. He is no longer able to overcome his misses with brilliant iron and wedge play. My opinion , might only be worth what it cost you.

Not only is Phil just one year off one of the greatest performances ever in a major, but he has actually had a pretty steady season to date.

Phil's time as one of the game's top 10 players is certainly gone, but he still has the chops to win again, and I believe he will. :)

Correct you are . However 97-99% of us aren't playing a game where a single stroke can make or lose you hundreds of thousands of $. I can see a caddie helping with a couple strokes a round or tournament.

I think caddies absolutely help. That's what ..kind of bothers me about it. I can't even ask anybody I'm playing with what club they hit..etc..but a caddie can give all kinds of info..what he saw my opponent hit..how the greens break..what he/she thinks the wind is doing..and just calm me down..lol.I think they might help too much..and they carry the dang bag too..ok I usually take a cart.

Bones having the last laugh .. though RB probably wasn't a good fit for PM

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I guess as far as Michael Greller is concerned, a caddie is absolutely not meaningless.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

i think it'd be cool to give them all a push cart and tell them to have at it - caddy-less. now that would be interesting.

Adams Speedline Launch Lab 9.5*, Adams 9064LS 9.5*, TM Jetspeed 10.5*, PING G20 9.5*
TM Jetspeed 3HL, PING G20 16.5*, TM Jetspeed 5HL 
Ping I3+ Blades 3-LW
Callaway Raxr X Tour- #2, 3 & 4 hybrids
Callaway I-Trax, Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

I guess as far as Michael Greller is concerned, a caddie is absolutely not meaningless.

%100 percent agree. Spieth needs someone like Grellar. DJ would probably do about the same with whoever on the bag. (not a knock on his brother) Just different mindsets. I know college and H.S kids were mentioned not having caddies, and it's true but if you see them a lot of times they may have a team mate or asst coach out there with them, especially in your better programs and tourney's.

if caddies were not important they would just get some 14 year old kid to carry the bag. For free.

Actually, pre-1990s, that's the way it was. Many pros preferred having kids on their bags. I was one of those caddies at that age and I never failed to pick up a bag. I was actually 16 and caddied on both the PGA and LPGA Tour in 70/71 and I looped for some notable players (Butch Harmon, Kathy Cornelius, Gay Brewer). They liked the kids for several reasons. At that time, most of the pro caddies were alcoholics and gamblers. They'd show up for work hung over at best and usually babbled nonsensically through most of the round and usually annoyed the players more than anything. They were mostly lazy and didn't do anything until the 15th hole when they started working for a better tip. When they didn't get the tip they thought they deserved, there were often uncomfortable confrontations over it. With the young kids, there was none of this drama and they didn't feel that they had to tip the kids much, if anything and, believe me, everybody but the top ten guys were on a budget. They didn't play for that much money then and unless they finished T10 or better, they barely made their expenses. The kids had more energy and were more respectful of the players' work since most of us were players ourselves and our normal jobs at home were as caddies at good clubs where good work was required. I worked with professional caddies at home and learned from the best of them. I took the good, and left the bad and was pretty good at it. I would, though, get pretty nervous when we played with someone...like Palmer, which we did a couple of times. There were times when I was the only kid out there though. I went to a private school that had a unique program that let us out of school from late November through February and that's when the Tour was passing through California in those days...perfect. Things were much less precise in those days and most of the guys played much more by instinct and feel. They had the yardages, sort of, but it was nothing like it is now outside of the very top players. It's easy to see why a few guys like Jack or Arnie dominated the way they did because there were only a handful of guys who were really good and the rest were just journeymen, making a living. They were the good players who didn't always have the patience to work as a club pro. They were the kind who needed a little more excitement in life and liked the lifestyle. It was pretty cool, certainly an experience I'll never forget.

Nah...keep the shot clock on them. I bet it's been so long for many of them to figure things out for themselves..that more than a few would be lost out there. Pushcart+notes+rangefinder...go gettum.

Adams Speedline Launch Lab 9.5*, Adams 9064LS 9.5*, TM Jetspeed 10.5*, PING G20 9.5*
TM Jetspeed 3HL, PING G20 16.5*, TM Jetspeed 5HL 
Ping I3+ Blades 3-LW
Callaway Raxr X Tour- #2, 3 & 4 hybrids
Callaway I-Trax, Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

if caddies were not important they would just get some 14 year old kid to carry the bag. For free.

Actually, pre-1990s, that's the way it was. Many pros preferred having kids on their bags. I was one of those caddies at that age and I never failed to pick up a bag. I was actually 16 and caddied on both the PGA and LPGA Tour in 70/71 and I looped for some notable players (Butch Harmon, Kathy Cornelius, Gay Brewer). They liked the kids for several reasons. At that time, most of the pro caddies were alcoholics and gamblers. They'd show up for work hung over at best and usually babbled nonsensically through most of the round and usually annoyed the players more than anything. They were mostly lazy and didn't do anything until the 15th hole when they started working for a better tip. When they didn't get the tip they thought they deserved, there were often uncomfortable confrontations over it. With the young kids, there was none of this drama and they didn't feel that they had to tip the kids much, if anything and, believe me, everybody but the top ten guys were on a budget. They didn't play for that much money then and unless they finished T10 or better, they barely made their expenses. The kids had more energy and were more respectful of the players' work since most of us were players ourselves and our normal jobs at home were as caddies at good clubs where good work was required. I worked with professional caddies at home and learned from the best of them. I took the good, and left the bad and was pretty good at it. I would, though, get pretty nervous when we played with someone...like Palmer, which we did a couple of times. There were times when I was the only kid out there though. I went to a private school that had a unique program that let us out of school from late November through February and that's when the Tour was passing through California in those days...perfect. Things were much less precise in those days and most of the guys played much more by instinct and feel. They had the yardages, sort of, but it was nothing like it is now outside of the very top players. It's easy to see why a few guys like Jack or Arnie dominated the way they did because there were only a handful of guys who were really good and the rest were just journeymen, making a living. They were the good players who didn't always have the patience to work as a club pro. They were the kind who needed a little more excitement in life and liked the lifestyle. It was pretty cool, certainly an experience I'll never forget.

Writing this post got me reminiscing and I went back to look at Butch Harmon's results in 1971. He made five cuts, which was pretty darned good for a rabbit (Monday qualifier), when most of them didn't make five events, much less cuts, and he earned $1229. That's right....$1229 for the entire year. In other words, if you finished mid-field after making the cut, you might make $250..for a week's work. Talk about a tough way to make a living. These guys sure weren't going to cough up those hard earned bucks to some bum for carrying their bag. If the Tour didn't make them hire caddies, because the were "touring pros", you can bet that half of them would've been packing their own clubs. I don't care if it was 45 years ago, those guys were playing for nuthin'. You can only imagine what the women were playing for. They were just div'ing up their entry fees and half of the pro-am money.