One really bad thing about NBC getting The Open coverage...

spud3

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting situation to me. You could get basic cable and have the Golf Channel. But you CHOOSE to be a cord cutter and then complain that you cannot watch certain things for free. Is that about it? Seriously. What am I missing here?

can't speak for the OP, but I have a "basic" package of supposedly 125 channels. Unfortunately for me, Golf Channel is not one of them. I was able to watch it live-streamed on the net, however.

Perhaps the GC is not on basic in all areas. But the premise is the same. Many events-sports and otherwise-are not on the traditional over the air networks any longer. Pretty much everything is pay per view if you want to watch live.

yep, no question. I think there will be a shake out in the industry over the next few years. Maybe I'm in a small minority, but I am finding that rather than calling the cable company to increase my package so I can watch TGC, I am just learning to live without it.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

My cable bill isn't $150 a month even including my broadband Internet service. Sure it's overpriced but no need to exaggerate.

And where do you "cord cutters" get your broadband without paying? Do you mooch it off a neighbor's wireless router or something?

You don't live in Portland, do you?

Rates are different for different providers in different parts of the country. Xfinity here - base rate to get a tier that includes GC: $79/mo, not including taxes, fees, yada, yada...

As I have said more than once in this thread, I'm not looking to get something for nothing, or mooch off someone else's account. Simply want to have a subscription service that allows me to watch the Open without having to pay the ransom demanded by the cable companies. To answer your actual question (ignoring the insult) I pay for broadband separately.

But I guess it's just easier to assume that I'm out to screw somebody. Good luck with that world-view.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

johnny miller is >Joe Buck

I hear you guys complain every day about tv announcers. I don't get it. I can't think of one golf personality that annoys me except for the eye candy girls that stand in front of the monitor with the players to review their round. Outside of that...

Miller: good

Koch: good

Leonard: surprisingly good

Maltbie: really good

Jacobsen: good

Rolfing: good

Nantz: good

Faldo: good

Baker-Finch: ok

McCord: ok

Kostis: ok

Buck: getting better

Feherty: good

Azinger: good

Strange: grumpy but good

Watkins: see Strange

Faxon: improving

Chamblee: good

Nobilo: good

Gannon: good

Duval: good

Begay: not very good

Sands: good

Lerner: good

Pepper: getting better

Rankin: good

Abbott: good

Stupples: not very good

Not sure why y'all get all sideways. It's tv, not art.

On a somewhat ralated note.... I'm REALLY starting to hate Rolex.... I get it, they are one of the biggest sponsors, but give it a freaking break with these commercials! Same goes for Buick! I haven't seen any TV coverage, but these 2 commercials seem to run every 5 minutes?.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Maybe it depends on where you live but for xfinity in DC, with two TVs and two HD boxes, my monthly internet + cable bill is $175. I thought 150 was being modest. If you have more than 1 tv and more than the most basic of package i dont think 150 is an exaggeration at all

My cable bill isn't $150 a month even including my broadband Internet service. Sure it's overpriced but no need to exaggerate.

And where do you "cord cutters" get your broadband without paying? Do you mooch it off a neighbor's wireless router or something?

I signed up for DirecTV Now when they first launched. They ran a special for $35/month you got their mid level package and you locked in that $35 as long as you kept your package. I think this package is $60/month now? They were also running a special if you paid 3 months in advance you got a free Apple TV. Has login capabilities to most channel apps too and for those I can't use my login for I have my parents login

Golf Channel is doing the broadcast for rounds 1 & 2, which means you can't watch it unless you've got a cable/dish subscription. All the other majors have independent streaming options.

For us cable-snippers, we're SOL...

Dear PGA/USGA/R&A: please follow the other major sports and get your own channel.

Boo hoo. You cut the cord. This is what you get.

Miller: seems bored

Koch: ok

Leonard: a lot of work to be done

Maltbie: really good

Jacobsen: ok

Rolfing: fair

Nantz: fine

Faldo: ok

Baker-Duck Hook: sucks

McCord: fun

Kostis: tired

Buck: getting better

Feherty: stick w/ the golf not lame comedy

Azinger: pathetic

Strange: grumpy

Watkins: why

Faxon: dork

Chamblee: go away

Nobilo: stop trying to be serious

Gannn: who

Duval: shouldn't he still be playing

Begay: not very good

Sands: good

Lerner: nerd

Pepper: pathetic

Rankin: ok

Abbott: and Costello

Stupples: whoever that is

Interesting situation to me. You could get basic cable and have the Golf Channel. But you CHOOSE to be a cord cutter and then complain that you cannot watch certain things for free. Is that about it? Seriously. What am I missing here?

can't speak for the OP, but I have a "basic" package of supposedly 125 channels. Unfortunately for me, Golf Channel is not one of them. I was able to watch it live-streamed on the net, however.

Perhaps the GC is not on basic in all areas. But the premise is the same. Many events-sports and otherwise-are not on the traditional over the air networks any longer. Pretty much everything is pay per view if you want to watch live.

Golf channel is the middle or the top tier on almost all cable providers. Would be awesome if it were in the bottom/basic bucket.

It is very hard to get as a cord cutter (one of the main reasons I am not a cord cutter) but I think GC is now included in SlingTVs package.

Golf Channel is doing the broadcast for rounds 1 & 2, which means you can't watch it unless you've got a cable/dish subscription. All the other majors have independent streaming options.

Dear PGA/USGA/R&A: please follow the other major sports and get your own channel.

I have PS Vue and I can stream it just fine with the Golf Channel app, NBC Sports app, or just watch it with Vue.

Titleist 915 9.5 with Blueboard 73x
Titleist 915F 13 with Blueboard 83x
Titleist 712MB 4-9
Vokey SM4 46,52, 60
Vokey SM5 56
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 33"

Love golf but don't have Golf Channel? Most others have coverage over a cable network and usually streaming involves subscribing to something. Wish I could just get 4 over the air channels and 4 hours or golf total on the weekend? Nope.

Love golf but don't have Golf Channel? Most others have coverage over a cable network and usually streaming involves subscribing to something. Silly complaint.

That's what doesn't make sense. Pay the cable company for broadband, then piecemeal subscriptions to all sorts of different services to get access to things you want like golf or whatever. How much total money can you save?

It would be like dropping your $300/month country club membership because it's priced too high then turning around and paying a $55 green fee somewhere every Saturday and Sunday.

This. SOOOOOO MUCH this. :)

I signed up for DirecTV Now when they first launched. They ran a special for $35/month you got their mid level package and you locked in that $35 as long as you kept your package. I think this package is $60/month now? They were also running a special if you paid 3 months in advance you got a free Apple TV. Has login capabilities to most channel apps too and for those I can't use my login for I have my parents login

It's something new they're trying price wise. Instead of hitting you for equipment charges and dvr charges after the cost of the channels themselves, they're now including it in the price of the channels (for up to 4 rooms, I just looked). That's the main reason for difference in price, because just last year I helped my parents sign up for it and it was much cheaper than it is now.

Love golf but don't have Golf Channel? Most others have coverage over a cable network and usually streaming involves subscribing to something. Silly complaint.

That's what doesn't make sense. Pay the cable company for broadband, then piecemeal subscriptions to all sorts of different services to get access to things you want like golf or whatever. How much total money can you save?

It would be like dropping your $300/month country club membership because it's priced too high then turning around and paying a $55 green fee somewhere every Saturday and Sunday.

It isn't the cable subscription that kills you. It is the forced monthly box rentals.

Broadband and the channels are maybe $120/month. More if you get all the premiums and what not.

The real rip off is the $20/month for each HD dvr box and $10/month for each HD box. That is another $50 a month or more depending on number of tvs you have.

You might only save $25/month once you piece together Netflix, sling, roku, or whatever. But you also save $50+ a month on the ripoff equipment rental.

If would be nice if the FCC forced the cable companies to allow consumers to buy their own cable boxes (like you can with modems/routers). The FCC was getting rdy to do that under the previous administration but didn't do it in time. Current admin won't do it, they not consumer friendly.

There are plenty of options out there. PS Vue is a great value at $35 a month with full GC access in the home and through mobile. This subscription also allows people to watch through GC app.

I would argue that GC airing The Open is better than any other major out there. Every shot is broadcast and it airs for 14 airs or something crazy like that. Plus, GC crew > Fox crew

T Bone Steak, Cheese Eggs, and Welch's Grape

Taylormade Stealth 2+ - MCA Kai'li Blue 60s

Callaway Epic Speed 3w & 5w - Project X HZRDUS Smoke im10 70s 

Taylormade '21 P790 4-gw - MCA MMT 105s

Taylormade Hi Toe 2 Raw 54, 58 - Aldila NV Black 105s

Wilson Staff Infitinte Buckingham

Srixon Z Star 🔷

I got the exact same deal. As an early adopter I can say it was a frustrating experience and wasn't sure I was gonna keep it. The service has improved noticeably since then.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

The question would come down to what exactly are you getting from the subs? ie., if I pay for cable, I'm getting only certain games. if I buy the package, I basically get all of them. So if that is something I want, there is value in doing it that way. If I can pay a fee to stream, especially commercial free, a golf tournament from sun up to sun down, that might be more valuable to me than Golf Channel.

This is my exact situation. :drinks: