Getting a little tense on Tour lately

2»

Comments

• JaNelson38JaNelson38 Members Posts: 2,745 ✭✭
    lopey986 wrote:

ray9898 wrote:

lopey986 wrote:

I think Berger's caddy was pulling the pin...for some reason...even though Rodgers was clearly off the green and it was his turn to hit.

....but that isn't the rule. Farthest away, which Berger's putt was, plays first no matter if the other player isn't on the green. Now, most of the time the guys concede and allow someone who is chipping to go first but that is by agreement.

Really? I wasn't aware of this, I always assumed off green went first all the time.

Nope. About the only time I see someone going first from off the green but being closer to the hole than someone else would be bunker shots.
  • Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,735 ✭✭
    The guy who's out is going to play first most of the time. Pulling the pin isn't a big deal when you each have a caddie.
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,501 ✭✭
    I wouldn't mind a bit more gamesmanship a chippy attitudes out there.

Golf needs a Phil Hellmuth image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • BottleCapBottleCap Members Posts: 1,390 ✭✭
    I like this, i'm sick of the charade from guys like Mickelson and Reed. Let it all out
    Titleist TS2 GD TourAD DI 7S
    Titleist 917 F3 GD TourAD IZ 8S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3-4 DG AMT S300
    Mizuno MP-18 5-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54M and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • 4Par4Par Members Posts: 784 ✭✭
    lopey986 wrote:

ray9898 wrote:

lopey986 wrote:

I think Berger's caddy was pulling the pin...for some reason...even though Rodgers was clearly off the green and it was his turn to hit.

....but that isn't the rule. Farthest away, which Berger's putt was, plays first no matter if the other player isn't on the green. Now, most of the time the guys concede and allow someone who is chipping to go first but that is by agreement.

Really? I wasn't aware of this, I always assumed off green went first all the time.

Rule books are cheap and can be an interesting read.......

• VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members Posts: 17,579 ✭✭
    LeoLeo99 wrote:

Bubba and Elkington

Keegan and MAJ

Reed and ...Bernhard Langer.

Just you wait!
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
    edited Jul 18, 2017 #38
    I watched the coverage again and didn't notice anything super chippy.

Rogers simply told Berger that he thought he was out on the 18th green. I don't think Daniel minded as he was out of the hunt. It's a totally different mindset having played your way into a 5 shot deficit rather than having to hole a chip on 18 to tie.

I'd like to see some of the other instances of borderline etiquette. Doesn't surprise me that these guys get annoyed with each, who doesn't get annoyed with certain FC's especially under tournament conditions, but I'm surprised they were outwardly showing any disdain.
  • jay_dwightjay_dwight Members Posts: 472 ✭✭

JaNelson38 wrote:

755 wrote:

I saw the incident on 18 your talking about...that was pretty obvious he was not pleased with Berger.

Im not sure what Rodgers was pissed about on 18...while Rodgers was off the green, Berger was clearly outside of him. Probably a good 10 feet further away from the hole than Rodgers. Berger was rightly preparing to putt being farthest from the cup, but Rodgers seemed to have none of it.

The funny part is Berger canned his 60 footer for birdie after Rodgers missed that chip shot. I dont think TV showed it.

Berger didn't play well yesterday and Rodgers threw away a tournament he had complete control of. Its understandable why those two were kind of a toxic mix on the back 9.

I didn't notice that. I wonder what Rodgers' beef was about in that case. That just shows how contentious it had gotten. Both of them were terribly rude to each other in any event. It's good TV, the drama that is, but those two were obviously trying to get under each others' skin. Berger seems the scrapper, for sure, but why cause a stir for no reason when you're out of it? I've read a few of his passive-aggressive digs at his buddy Spieth after his bunker hole-out a few weeks ago, calling it everything but lucky. Knowing Jordan though, you can't call it luck when he does it so regularly, so I think he needed to keep it zipped in that case. It'd sort of be like calling Tiger lucky for doing what he did regularly for ten years. Golf needs a little drama as long as it doesn't directly interfere with outcomes.

Yea DB is the definition of a DB.
  • 814willowbeach814willowbeach Members Posts: 68
    it looked like to me bergers caddy stepped on rodgers line.
    Caddies wear sneakers.
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members Posts: 17,579 ✭✭
    edited Jul 18, 2017 #42

I don't consider you to even have a line if you are not on the green. And you can put the through line in the same category.
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • MidwestGolfBumMidwestGolfBum Corporate Golfer Extraordinaire MSN/MKE/DSMMembers Posts: 1,358 ✭✭
    Vindog wrote:

I don't consider you to even have a line if you are not on the green. And you can put the through line in the same category.

Exactly. If you're not on the green, you don't have a line, though I will still make some effort to avoid walking in what would be your intended line as a courtesy. There are some people that don't get that courtesy nearly as much in tournament settings, but those are special circumstances.
    Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
    Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
    Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
    Vokey SM7, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
    Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,827 ✭✭
    Rogers and Berger look like they are copying each others swing...berger looks like a praying mantis swinging a bamboo stick...with attitude
    Cobra LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/F7M3/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6

Vindog wrote:

Exactly. If you're not on the green, you don't have a line, though I will still make some effort to avoid walking in what would be your intended line as a courtesy. There are some people that don't get that courtesy nearly as much in tournament settings, but those are special circumstances.

Too funny. I like your jib. Hate to admit it but I'm the same. Start of with A+++ etiquette until it isn't reciprocated.
  • ChazbChazb Members Posts: 918 ✭✭
    lopey986 wrote:

755 wrote:

I saw the incident on 18 your talking about...that was pretty obvious he was not pleased with Berger.

Being off the green does not make it your turn to hit.The golfer furthest from the hole goes first unless the golfer who is away tell his opponent he can go.
  • Jordan SpeethJordan Speeth ClubWRX Posts: 1,090 ClubWRX

Vindog wrote:

I agree with this in most circumstances but when it's the 72nd hole and you're talking about a chip shot for the win, there's both a line and a through-line. It'd have been super bad manners for DB to walk in either under the circumstances.
    Cobra F8+ Driver 9.5*- XCaliber Superlite 45 S
    Callaway XR Pro 16* FW- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
    Ping G400 17* 2-Hybrid- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Ping G 22* 4-Hybrid- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Callaway Apex Pro 5-Gap- Steelfiber i95
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 52*/10, 56*/12- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 56- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Odyssey White Hot #7 38"- Superstroke Tank Slim 13"
    Golf Pride MCC Grips
    Wilson Duo Urethane (this week)
    MG Elite Glove
    2018 Ping Hoofer, Eliott Alistair Leather Bag
  • ConcentricDimplesConcentricDimples Members Posts: 739
    I'm hoping pros can keep it real and discuss how much they want to BEAT OTHER PLAYERS, rather than just "win" or "finish well" or make money.

Draymomd Green before NBA Finals said, verbatim: "I want to annihilate Cleveland."

Keegan and Miguel gettin up in eech others grills was electric.

There can be nothing physical since golfers don't wear pads like hockey, but there should totally be expressions of how much they want to beat each other.

Anyone whose played in elite amateur tourneys or pro tourneys knows full well the atmosphere, and nobody is your buddy, and it is incredibly tense.
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,634 ✭✭

I'm hoping pros can keep it real and discuss how much they want to BEAT OTHER PLAYERS, rather than just "win" or "finish well" or make money.

Draymomd Green before NBA Finals said, verbatim: "I want to annihilate Cleveland."

Keegan and Miguel gettin up in eech others grills was electric.

There can be nothing physical since golfers don't wear pads like hockey, but there should totally be expressions of how much they want to beat each other.

Anyone whose played in elite amateur tourneys or pro tourneys knows full well the atmosphere, and nobody is your buddy, and it is incredibly tense.

I can see where you are coming from with this and I'd think it would be interesting as well. However, nothing would make me stop watching the PGA Tour faster than if the players turn into a bunch of Draymond Greens. Keep Green in the NBA please.
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black