62 - low round in a major

RickK

Henrik's 63 last year was a billion times better, no exaggeration. If Henrik doesn't play Phil wins the Open by eleven shots (!!!). Phil shoots 65 on final day and loses... lol. Henrik's round was also obviously much more pressure packed and was also lower relative to scoring average. That round was one of the best in history, period.

62 < 63.

You would have to compare the number to the scoring average of the field the day the low score was shot to truly make a comparison. Comparing a number from one day at one venue to another number on a different day at a different venue without including how those numbers compare with what the field shot is meaningless.

Nope. 62 is one lower.

Lower one round score or a low round that got you a major.

63, 65, 66 plus the perks that come form winning a major >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>non win 62

K, but nobody is honestly trying to argue that 62 isn't lower than 63, right? Because I think it's been established that 62 is indeed a smaller number than 63.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know the difference in the number 62 vs the number 63. nobody is arguing with you. we are saying that there are 63s that were BETTER rounds of golf than grace's 62. relative to par, relative to the field, significance, etc. you seem to be the only one fixated on the simplistic fact that 62 is a lower number than 63.

you know the difference in the number 62 vs the number 63. nobody is arguing with you. we are saying that there are 63s that were BETTER rounds of golf than grace's 62. relative to par, relative to the field, significance, etc. you seem to be the only one fixated on the simplistic fact that 62 is a lower number than 63.

Whew! For a minute, I thought some were trying to say 62 wasn't lower than 63!

Heard on TV that Apartheid was over because a par got him the major single-round record.

That is a rather odd* statement. Are you sure you wouldn't like to remove it?\

* others may have stronger descriptors

TM Stealth, 10.5, HZRDUS Red 65 S
Titleist TSi2, 16.5 fairway, Oban Devotion 75, S
Titleist TSi2, 21 utility, Tensei 75, S
Mizuno 923 Forged, KBS $-Taper lite S

Vokey 50, 56, 60, KBS Tour V S
Kronos Metronome

^^^ not odd, just idiotic.

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

Grace's 62(-8) shot on a par 70 at 7,156yds

Thomas' 63(-9) shot on a par 72 at 7,788yds

Miller's 63(-8) shot on a par 71 at 6,921yds

Yeah it wasn't the final round and not for the win but -9 in relation to par on a course that was about 900yds longer seems to me better than Miller's.

Oakmont in 1973, equipment in 1973, course setup, absolutely no rational comparison.

Oakmont was one of the toughest tracks in America. Birkdale yesterday - easy, pitch and putt for some.

Most of Miller's clubs were 25 years or older (except for his 8, 9, PW & (SW - 15 years older)). Tiny MAC TA 915 SS blades with a sweet spot towards the hosel the size of a gnat..such greater ball striking and accuracy relatively speaking.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Jim Nantz said it best:

"Unbelievable. Grace has done it. You just saw the greatest round in Open history. The all-time lowest round in a major doesn't belong to a Jack Nicklaus or an Arnold Palmer, Hogan, Nelson or Snead. It's been shot by the most improbable artist of all. Brenden Grace has his signature on golf's all-time masterpiece round."

The most improbable artist of all? Really? Grace is a damn good golfer with a low ball flight well suited to The Open. He has 4 top 5 finishes in the last 10 majors.

Relax, it's a modified quote from a golf movie in which Jim Nantz played himself. I was just goofing around. Didn't realize people were going to get butt hurt over the quote. Sorry.

Don't apologize. It was a great post.

Mizuno MP-20’s

Ping G-410

I go by how many other players shot low numbers on the same day. The players shredded Birkdale that day. Grace's 62 is the low round ever in a major but not even close to the greatest round in a major. Miller's 63, on the course he did it on and the era, is still the best.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Doesn't really matter when these records are set. Par 70, 71, 72 courses also doesn't matter. Can't find anywhere where one of these record rounds was shot on the final day to win a major. The majority of the time the holder of these record rounds doesn't even win the tournament let alone a major. So Johnny can poo poo all these rounds until one is shot on the final day to win a major. So far he stands alone..

Even Grace, knows it was a great round, but not near the greatest.

Has anyone anywhere suggested that it was the greatest? Historic - yes, greatest - no.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

Heard on TV that Apartheid was over because a par got him the major single-round record.

I said I heard it on tv, and agree it was a bit odd.

I actually cannot begin to explain how wildly inaccurate and potentially offensive that statement actually is...

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

So, is Johnny Miller going to have something to say about this like he did about the 63 that was shot during the US Open? Can he find a way to discredit the shooting of 62?

As you can probably tell...I am not a big Johnny Miller fan.

He can't discredit a great round but the context is important. Was the 62 better than Jordans final round ? JM shot 63 to win the Open. Only major winning rounds can be compared. The number on the card had to have context. It's just because it's his Round that Johnny sounds bitter though his point is completely valid.

I actually cannot begin to explain how wildly inaccurate and potentially offensive that statement actually is...

I see you are in South Africa. This was said on a local talk/sport-talk TV program (I think; it could have been national/cable-type but didn't look like it) in Nashville, TN, in the United States at what is locally known as a "honky-tonk" bar (but that's irrelevant; point is it was either a Tennessee or mid-south network in the USA, or like I said a more cable-type channel). (we refer to "cable" as TV stations to which access is paid through a TV provider company). I couldn't tell you the channel as I was only half-watching it. It was certainly not a golf station. Heck, it might have been some kind of late-night comedy routine or farce (I don't even know). I don't know if you are aware, but USA entertainment media can get pretty darn raucous/inappropriate, especially depending on the context. and certainly even the media--and even the comic media--have standards, but there is certainly a whole lot said everyday that could potentially offend all kinds of people.

And also to give you some context (and I don't mean this condescendingly; just saying if studying foreign cultures is not something you do, as well it shouldn't be unless you want to), the USA's "First Amendment" in what we call our Constitution (which is our book of laws, for lack of a better way to put it), lists "Free Speech" among the very first "Rights" in our country. For that reason (and for good and bad reasons), people take advantage of that to the fullest. People also fully take advantage of other of our "Rights," as well they are entitled to, for good and bad reasons. Just pointing this out to help you (if you didn't already know) make some sense of how something like this was said on television. And like I said previously, the USA being what it is and what principles it was founded on, often has things said in through media that is offensive to one or more groups of people. I think certain media outlets are not as heavily scrutinized (or even viewed/accessed) as much as they once were, with the advent of social media and other "instant-gratification" avenues by which people interact with their social circles and with the public and world (i.e. smartphones and apps, etc).

The last thing I'd say about the USA to help you understand why something like that was said (and I don't even fully understand how marginal or totally-offensive it was and why because I'm on this side of the pond and not down in SA) is that in recent years for various reasons the standard of things said by or through the media has been greatly lowered. I'm not going to go into detail, but I'm just putting it out there that there is a WHOLE LOT of offensive stuff that is said or telecast, and it has somewhat become the norm.

I totally EMPATHIZE with being offended by things that are said/broadcast/telecast, as I am offended by several things routinely said/broadcast both on TV and in the real world. However, people much wiser than me do advise that things aren't going to really change too much, and there's not much really to be done. I mean, for sure one should push back every once and a while and stand up for themselves, and have every right to be offended. And it is even good and healthy to push back a bit and speak your mind. But at the end of the day, someone offended by something can ultimately decide how to process their reaction to it. and be better than the people who offended them.

Pretty cool your countryman has the lowest (gross) record in a major. Every since I was first acquainted with his game on TV I thought we are going to see some special things for him (especially in events like the Open where wind is always there). Don't know if he'll win an Open, but he's certainly got the game to do so and I really think he's kind of going to be a regular on the Open leaderboard and at other majors with similar conditions.

So Johnny can poo poo all these rounds until one is shot on the final day to win a major. So far he stands alone..

Henrik Stenson shot 63 in the final round of the Open last year and won. So no Johnny doesn't stand alone in that regard.

I'd argue that Stenson's is the better round as he was head to head with one of the modern greats of the game, not tied 13th with the freedom and lack of pressure to go pin hunting.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

I see you are in South Africa. This was said on a local talk/sport-talk TV program (I think; it could have been national/cable-type but didn't look like it) in Nashville, TN, in the United States at what is locally known as a "honky-tonk" bar (but that's irrelevant; point is it was either a Tennessee or mid-south network in the USA, or like I said a more cable-type channel). (we refer to "cable" as TV stations to which access is paid through a TV provider company). I couldn't tell you the channel as I was only half-watching it. It was certainly not a golf station. Heck, it might have been some kind of late-night comedy routine or farce (I don't even know). I don't know if you are aware, but USA entertainment media can get pretty darn raucous/inappropriate, especially depending on the context. and certainly even the media--and even the comic media--have standards, but there is certainly a whole lot said everyday that could potentially offend all kinds of people.

And also to give you some context (and I don't mean this condescendingly; just saying if studying foreign cultures is not something you do, as well it shouldn't be unless you want to), the USA's "First Amendment" in what we call our Constitution (which is our book of laws, for lack of a better way to put it), lists "Free Speech" among the very first "Rights" in our country. For that reason (and for good and bad reasons), people take advantage of that to the fullest. People also fully take advantage of other of our "Rights," as well they are entitled to, for good and bad reasons. Just pointing this out to help you (if you didn't already know) make some sense of how something like this was said on television. And like I said previously, the USA being what it is and what principles it was founded on, often has things said in through media that is offensive to one or more groups of people. I think certain media outlets are not as heavily scrutinized (or even viewed/accessed) as much as they once were, with the advent of social media and other "instant-gratification" avenues by which people interact with their social circles and with the public and world (i.e. smartphones and apps, etc).

The last thing I'd say about the USA to help you understand why something like that was said (and I don't even fully understand how marginal or totally-offensive it was and why because I'm on this side of the pond and not down in SA) is that in recent years for various reasons the standard of things said by or through the media has been greatly lowered. I'm not going to go into detail, but I'm just putting it out there that there is a WHOLE LOT of offensive stuff that is said or telecast, and it has somewhat become the norm.

I totally EMPATHIZE with being offended by things that are said/broadcast/telecast, as I am offended by several things routinely said/broadcast both on TV and in the real world. However, people much wiser than me do advise that things aren't going to really change too much, and there's not much really to be done. I mean, for sure one should push back every once and a while and stand up for themselves, and have every right to be offended. And it is even good and healthy to push back a bit and speak your mind. But at the end of the day, someone offended by something can ultimately decide how to process their reaction to it. and be better than the people who offended them.

Pretty cool your countryman has the lowest (gross) record in a major. Every since I was first acquainted with his game on TV I thought we are going to see some special things for him (especially in events like the Open where wind is always there). Don't know if he'll win an Open, but he's certainly got the game to do so and I really think he's kind of going to be a regular on the Open leaderboard and at other majors with similar conditions.

Regardless of where you heard it and the reasons justifying your posting of it it's still a red flag and I'm surprised the post is still up. People offend easily these days I agree but some things should just not be mentioned.

Anyway...

I'm stoked it was a Saffer that broke that record, is it the best score ever? No, but it is the first and that will forever be his.

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

So Johnny can poo poo all these rounds until one is shot on the final day to win a major. So far he stands alone..

Henrik Stenson shot 63 in the final round of the Open last year and won. So no Johnny doesn't stand alone in that regard.

I'd argue that Stenson's is the better round as he was head to head with one of the modern greats of the game, not tied 13th with the freedom and lack of pressure to go pin hunting.

I respectfully disagree. An -8 (63) in the final round of a MAJOR to win the tournament is the same score relative to par. One was established in 1973 in the U.S. Open Championship and the next was established in 2016 in The (British) Open Championship. Where the golfer stood after 3 rounds is irrelevant. Records are made to be broken or tied. Miller's record was tied. PERIOD. Until someone shoots -9 in the last round of a MAJOR to win, Johnny AND Henrik's scores will be the BEST. PERIOD.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

No Jonesey, it's not a red flag to post something I heard/saw on television at a bar.

And this forum has one of the most offensive, hostile, inflammatory groups of people anywhere in the world.

And if you are not from the USA you may want to reread my post to the South African poster, explaining our low standards in the public media these days.

Did it ever occur to you that me posting what I heard was actually possibly trying to send a message about our low standards? Did that occur to you?

Did any one of a number of other things occur to you.

I don't think you understand. I can deal with hostility and insulting posts, but I will not tolerate misrepresentation or the intimation I agree with what I posted I heard on TV. Please let that sink in, and like somebody told me in another thread today: "bro, let it go"

That course is a joke , even Spieths big slices into the dunes are easily found and hit on to the greens

The final hole makes any local muni look difficult

If DJ had any interest today he could have shot 60 with ease , hell Breden Grace shot 62 lol

Or, as a guy in his fifties from Minnesota who I was sat next to in the 14h grandstand said to me " I've been to many us opens and PGA Tour events. The open was a bucket list and four of us have been all week. You don't need the flower beds and the statues and the fountains, this is the most amazing golf course I have ever seen. Pure. I get it now, I never did"

Just an alternative view for you to consider

I respectfully disagree. An -8 (63) in the final round of a MAJOR to win the tournament is the same score relative to par. One was established in 1973 in the U.S. Open Championship and the next was established in 2016 in The (British) Open Championship. Where the golfer stood after 3 rounds is irrelevant. Records are made to be broken or tied. Miller's record was tied. PERIOD. Until someone shoots -9 in the last round of a MAJOR to win, Johnny AND Henrik's scores will be the BEST. PERIOD.

Your respectfullness goes out of the window with the PERIOD.

Did Johnny shoot 62? No, he shot 63. Was the record "who shoots -8"? No, it was 63. And now it is 62.

Simple.

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

Your respectfullness goes out of the window with the PERIOD.

Did Johnny shoot 62? No, he shot 63. Was the record "who shoots -8"? No, it was 63. And now it is 62.

Simple.

Was the "62" one of the tournament champion's rounds? NO.

Was the "62" greater than -8 relative to par? NO.

WHAT'S YOUR POINT???

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Was the "62" one of the tournament champion's rounds? NO.

Was the "62" greater than -8 relative to par? NO.

WHAT'S YOUR POINT???

If the previous days' scores do not matter then why would it matter if it was the ultimate champion's round?

Was it first -9 or -10, nope, but it was first 62.

Now, how you feel Furyk carding 58 on par 70 course?

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

It was the lowest number of strokes taken to complete 18 holes in championship golf.

It was not the lowest score relative to par in a major championship.

It was not the most clutch round in a major championship.

I don't think that anyone is saying other wise, but there is lots of misrepresentation and bickering because the internet.