Lots of Pictures. Hoofer vs SM 4.5LS Need a new stand bag for 2017

I think I have narrowed it down to the Ping Hoofer, Sun mountain 3.5 or 4.5 or a Taylormade stand bag of some sort. Coming from an older titleist lightweight stand bag. Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.

UPDATE:

I have bought these two bags. My initial thoughts and pictures below. I will be keeping one and returning the other. Look forward to your feedback.

Straps:

I initially thought the 4.5 was going to be more comfortable because of how much padding the straps had. But the Hoofer feels more comfortable on the back the way the straps distribute the weight. I will play around with adjusting the straps more on the 4.5 to see if it will make a difference or not.

Pockets:

Sort of a toss up here. I think the more I use them the more I would be able to comment. Some of the Hoofer's pockets inside of pockets may be a bit much but I may find I like that in the end. I will say the zipper to access the bottom of the bag and the hook inside for your keys is nice on the Hoofer. I really like the soft lined range finder pocket on the 4.5.

Dividers:

The top is roomier on the 4.5. Easier to get clubs in and out. The Hoofer is not bad at all. The only time they get stuck is when the legs are engaged. I ride a lot so no issues there. I tend to weave a towel through my clubs to minimize bag chatter on the forged clubs. This is easier to do on the Hoofer. The 4.5 is larger so it takes a larger towel. Just a personal habit of mine.

Legs:

4.5 legs automatically open when you start to lower the bag which is nice. You have to push the Hoofer to start "engage" them. The legs do feel more solid on the Hoofer. I also clean my clubs in the kitchen a lot and the Sun Mountain legs have a hard time on the tile floor. The Hoofer legs do not slip at all. The Hoofer does not have the wider feet so they may dig a little. Overall the legs feel more stable and solid on the Hoofer.

Weight:

The 4.5 is technically lighter, the Hoofer straps distribute weight better so maybe a tie here.

Style:

I have never ever considered Sun Mountain due to the logo (call me shallow that is fine). The only reason I bought it was this particular color and design stood out to me. The material is different and I think they nailed it on this 4.5. I am still struggling with the logo. The Hoofer is my first one and it is growing on me. Not as busy and more classic in design.

Durability:

I can't comment on this but if I had to guess they will be very close. The material on the top of the 4.5 has me a little concerned as it seems to be the type that would wear poorly but I could be wrong.

2017 Ping Hoofer:

Sun Mountain 4.5 LS:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im in the same boat as you as far as looking for a new stand bag... Im a Ping bag guy just bummed at there new designs... Ping always had the best style, function, and shoulder straps compared to others... For some reason now they looks and design is off... I looked at Titleist but just read a post that guys are complaing the stands and zippers on the new bags suck...

You mentioned Hoofer... I don't know about you but I have never been a fan of the individual club slots in bags... I like the top slot for woods driver and putter, Left/middle slot or opening for long irons 4,5,6, right opening for 7,8,9 and bottom for wedges...The hoofer has some good color options but don't like the individual holes for each club and the big open flat spot on the ball pocket in the front i guess its for team, or club logos looks cheesy ...

I think im going to pull the Trigger on the Ping 4 series... It fits the bill but not as nice looking as my curent Ping bag "4 under" looks awesome wish they made it still...

I bought a sun mountain 4.5ls but still have th tags on it. I can’t decide between this and the hoofer. Functionality wise the 4.5 is awesome. Even style wise. I am struggling with the logo a bit which is why I may go to the Ping Hoofer. I know a little weird and this coming from a guy who just put Wilson v6 irons in the bag.

Finally went from an Ogio with the Woode organizer (2004 or 2005 purchase), to the 4.5 14-way.

The only thing I did not like about the Ogio was the club tangle. I tried very hard to find a replacement by Ogio, but did not have any luck. I was surprised by the durability of the old bag.

Over to the Sun Mountain, I am happy with my purchase. Somehow, my bag did not have the large logo on it. Probably a mistake from the factory, but no complaints here...

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

I bought a sun mountain 4.5ls but still have th tags on it. I cant decide between this and the hoofer. Functionality wise the 4.5 is awesome. Even style wise. I am struggling with the logo a bit which is why I may go to the Ping Hoofer. I know a little weird and this coming from a guy who just put Wilson v6 irons in the bag.

Yea bro I guess im old fasion I just took a peak at the SunMountin Its ok looking but the logo screams 30plus handicapper hahah or Walmart cant put my finger on it... I cant stand the individual club slots ... Have you seen the Ping 4 searies? I think its better looking less bulking then the Hoofer....

I bought a sun mountain 4.5ls but still have th tags on it. I can’t decide between this and the hoofer. Functionality wise the 4.5 is awesome. Even style wise. I am struggling with the logo a bit which is why I may go to the Ping Hoofer. I know a little weird and this coming from a guy who just put Wilson v6 irons in the bag.

Yea bro I guess im old fasion I just took a peak at the SunMountin Its ok looking but the logo screams 30plus handicapper hahah or Walmart cant put my finger on it... I cant stand the individual club slots ... Have you seen the Ping 4 searies? I think its better looking less bulking then the Hoofer....

Lol. Yes this is why I am struggling. I just updated this post at the top with my detailed thoughts and pictures on both bags.

I had both.

I had a '15 hoofer, '16 SM Four5 14was (I experiment too much and taking 16 or 17 clubs while testing made the 14 way a no go), then to a '17 4.5LS 4 way.

After years of hoofer when they were amazing, carried them all through high school and never thought I would have a different bag. The tangle broke me. The functionality of the 4.5LS is amazing. I am really happy with the pockets, and that they put the pass through cart strap on this bag. I love the Sun Mountain bags and probably won't be changing any time in the near future. Perfect for carrying or riding. Stands up nicely in my basement when I lock the legs.

Well now that i see it dose have a 4 way I like it a little better... And this is the reason I'm mad at Ping just like Roadking said he always had hoofer and never thought he would change but has is due to there design... In my mind It proves Ping is dropping the ball if loyal Hoofer owners are jumping ship for SunMountin of all companies hahaha... Its tough bro if I could have the Ping straps, legs, and logo on that Sun mountin bag I would be happy camper..,,

I say switch keep the SunM just to not suport Pings lame a** bag designs... maybe when you need a new bag Ping will be back in the game..

I just went back and looked at the pics again and pictured my self in your situation and I just dont think I could pull the trigger on the sun mountn I know that sounds lame but I would buy the Ping... It looks good but not what they used to be

Well now that i see it dose have a 4 way I like it a little better... And this is the reason I'm mad at Ping just like Roadking said he always had hoofer and never thought he would change but has is due to there design... In my mind It proves Ping is dropping the ball if loyal Hoofer owners are jumping ship for SunMountin of all companies hahaha... Its tough bro if I could have the Ping straps, legs, and logo on that Sun mountin bag I would be happy camper..,,

I say switch keep the SunM just to not suport Pings lame a** bag designs... maybe when you need a new bag Ping will be back in the game..

I just went back and looked at the pics again and pictured my self in your situation and I just dont think I could pull the trigger on the sun mountn I know that sounds lame but I would buy the Ping... It looks good but not what they used to be

I am leaning towards the hoofer... at least for today. I might go back and get this color. Not sure yet. Bags have been the hardest thing for me to pick. Clubs. No problem.

I like that one I was at Golf galaxy today and funny I thought about this thread and looked at the bags in person... I cant stand any non Ping bags as far as the straps go way to many adjustments to get them to fit right ping double strap i can use at any adjustment with out a huge swing one way or the other...

The blue looks good I think im going to go with orange I like the orange stand legs

Sun Mountain so much better than the Hoofer. Main reason is the terrible bottom design of the Hoofer which leads to club tangle galore. I had the exact same Hoofer and a Three 5 at the same time doing the same comparison. Liked the look of the Hoofer better, but that's it.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Well Titleist_Baller is this ^^^^^true what brew4 said ?? Your doing the very same thing dose the hoofer have club tangle galore ??? Lol

Well Titleist_Baller is this ^^^^^true what brew4 said ?? Your doing the very same thing dose the hoofer have club tangle galore ??? Lol

I finally made a decision. Went with the Ping Hoofer. Feels great carrying and sits on the cart perfectly. Clubs are maybe slightly more tangled then other bags but nothing crazy.

My last two bags were Sun Mountain - Four5 (4.5LS 14 Way) and most recently the 5.5LS, but I recently switched to the Hoofer (same color as OP). I moved from the Four5 to the 5.5LS because I thought I needed a more true hybrid bag, but I found myself walking more than expected so I switched to the Hoofer.

My thoughts: I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE HOOFER! Biggest reasons? Function, comfort, and durability. I really like the detail Ping put into the pockets. OP mentioned the key ring clip, but the small accessories pocket next to the ball pocket is a great little organizer. I also really like the two separate pieces for velcro for your golf glove(s). In addition, the Ping feels way more comfortable on my back compared to the two SMs. As for durability, I haven't had the Hoofer for long, however the materials of the bag feel significantly more durable and higher quality.

***To be fair, I can't speak to the current model of the 4.5LS because I never owned it, however the 5.5LS is from the same generation and from what I've seen in the store, is constructed very similarly to the 4.5LS.

Ping G425 Max Driver
Ping G430 Max 3 and 5 Wood

Cobra RAD Speed 4 Hybrid 
Srixon ZX5, 5i-PW  
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 - 50, 55, 60
Odyssey 2Ball TEN Tour-Lined, White Hot insert

If you're going to edit your own post, at least correct your english.

OP, you made the right decision. After owning both brands, the Hoofer is way more durable. The material is thicker than the denier nylon (tent material) used on the SM bags.

If you're going to edit your own post, at least correct your english.

OP, you made the right decision. After owning both brands, the Hoofer is way more durable. The material is thicker than the denier nylon (tent material) used on the SM bags.

Sorry bro my english sucks just learned it last year I'm Russian

• 2 months later...

I bought a sun mountain 4.5ls but still have th tags on it. I can't decide between this and the hoofer. Functionality wise the 4.5 is awesome. Even style wise. I am struggling with the logo a bit which is why I may go to the Ping Hoofer. I know a little weird and this coming from a guy who just put Wilson v6 irons in the bag.

Dallas Golf has a bunch of 2017 Sun Mountain stands bags without logo on closeout. Mainly the 2.5 but also the 4.5 in navy and the 3.5 in cobalt - really good prices on all.

I bought the 2017 Hoofer in July. I've been a SM user for the last 20+ years. Figured the Hoofer had to be a great bag, its rated as one of the top stand bags every year. Used it for one round and sold it. Being a SM user I wasn't familiar with club tangle, but the Hoofer educated me pretty quickly. Also didn't like the top with the extra divider at the top where my woods go. Found the whole thing a bit cramped, even when just carrying my usual 12 clubs. Pockets not nearly as deep and spacious as my older SM 3.5. Appreciated the quality and style of the Hoofer but not much else. Back with a new 4.5 LS now and much happier.

If you've been a Sun Mountain user for a long time, then the tangle with the Hoofer is crazy and a deal breaker, at least it was to me. May be because I walk a lot of my rounds. You can work around the Hoofer tangle by replacing clubs with the bag vertical, but you shouldn't have to and when walking (especially 36 or more) it becomes a big hassle vs. the easy in/out of a Sun Mountain.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

• 7 months later...