Best place to live, work and golf?

Take a look at Western PA.

My wife and I are considering moving there in a few years (Pittsburgh area).

Cost of living much cheaper than where we are now (Boston).

Weather isn't any worse and there is much more public golf available.

so much good golf in Pittsburgh! Chartiers CC, Nevillewood CC, St Clair CC, and of course the big dogs like Fox Chapel and Oakmont. But it snows!

The 'burgh would be very high on my list if I could afford it :)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a look at Western PA.

My wife and I are considering moving there in a few years (Pittsburgh area).

Cost of living much cheaper than where we are now (Boston).

Weather isn't any worse and there is much more public golf available.

i live in Oakmont great town

so much good golf in Pittsburgh! Chartiers CC, Nevillewood CC, St Clair CC, and of course the big dogs like Fox Chapel and Oakmont. But it snows!

The 'burgh would be very high on my list if I could afford it :)

Pretty hard to beat Scottsdale during the winter months.

Scottsdale is awesome in the fall/winter/early spring.... how do you manage in the summer thought?

Honestly, mid -July to mid-September kinda sucks but nothing compared to winter in the NE or Midwest which is a soul crushing, never ending, nightmare (to me :) ). May/June is my favorite time of the year. I walk and carry bag all year round without any issue whatsoever. Sometimes I play early in the summer and sometimes in the afternoon.

Pretty much this. May was by far and away the best month I have been here for. Early June was really nice as well. This is my first summer here after moving from the MW. I have zero interest in going back to the Midwest after living here (and it's mid summer and I'm still saying that). In the 9+ months that I have been here, there has been ideal weather for 8 of them. Mid June until now it has been pretty brutal... but it's still easy to play golf. Tee off at 7am and get done before noon and it's no problem at all. People have this belief that it's above 100* in Phoenix permanently (not true) and that's above 100* every minute of the summer (not true). It's 85 when you tee off at 7 am and hasn't hit 100* yet by the time you finish. Just get out of dodge from about Noon till 5pm and it's over.

As they say, you don't have to shovel the sun. It's 'Winter' in phoenix right now and I am still golfing, hiking, and taking 20 mile bike rides. You just adjust your schedule a little. As opposed to the Midwest where you really just can't do any of that (yes you can golf in 40* but let's be real.. it sucks and it never feels like 'real' golf). Plus, even when it's hot and the weather is 'bad', there is something about looking out the window and seeing blue skies all day long instead of that grey in the Midwest.

I was in Scottsdale for business in March and played at We Ko Pa the first in the morning. It was cold in mid 30s. Everyone in my some was out-of-towner and was not prepared for the temperature.

Anyways, it was beautiful all around. I thought to myself that I could live in PHX metro area. Clean air & blue sky.

Clean air is a very relative term lol... my black, sandy, boogers would argue otherwise lol

With all this said, I moved to Phoenix the first week of October of '16. My company is trying to convince me to relocate to San Antonio already. Anyone have thoughts on SA? My wife and I have fallen in love with Phoenix already so I'm not sure how realistic this plan is

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

"Clean air is a very relative term lol... my black, sandy, boogers would argue otherwise lol"

So would my chocolate milk pool after the weekly haboob..... gotta love the sandy boogers.... Small price to pay. I have lived many places I have really enjoyed, even though I am a rare native Arizonan, but It would take some pretty significant stuff to get me to move again.

As far as San Antonio goes, like most places it depends on where you are going to live. If I was forced to move and had a choice San Antonio/Austin would be at the top of my list. I think in many ways it is quite similar to Phoenix. The people I have interacted with are great (I know there are always outliers), Golf is good, not great, weather is good, affordability is good, but traffic has become a bear recently as it is booming. I would push hard to stay in AZ, but if you have to go San Antonio isnt terrible. I would want to find a new company before a new town, but that isnt usually feasible.

"Clean air is a very relative term lol... my black, sandy, boogers would argue otherwise lol"

So would my chocolate milk pool after the weekly haboob..... gotta love the sandy boogers.... Small price to pay. I have lived many places I have really enjoyed, even though I am a rare native Arizonan, but It would take some pretty significant stuff to get me to move again.

As far as San Antonio goes, like most places it depends on where you are going to live. If I was forced to move and had a choice San Antonio/Austin would be at the top of my list. I think in many ways it is quite similar to Phoenix. The people I have interacted with are great (I know there are always outliers), Golf is good, not great, weather is good, affordability is good, but traffic has become a bear recently as it is booming. I would push hard to stay in AZ, but if you have to go San Antonio isnt terrible. I would want to find a new company before a new town, but that isnt usually feasible.

Yeah I spent a week in SA recently and it seemed decent. I liked it a lot more than Dallas and Houston but wasn't crazy about it (like when I had been to Phoenix a dozen or so times before moving here but within the first couple of times I said 'I WANT to live here'... there was no doubt about it). It's one of those weird situations that may become a once in a lifetime career opportunity and it may force my hand. What I do know, is there is no opportunity with my current employer in Phoenix. But I'm also not married and overly invested to this company. I mean I haven't even been here a year. Just kind of depends on what they end up putting down on paper if you know what I'm saying.

"Just kind of depends on what they end up putting down on paper if you know what I'm saying."

Exactly, now that you know the perfect times to come play in the valley, and have connections here it would be easy to fly in make a long weekend or week of it. SA is pretty convenient to both coasts. I really do like the TPC SA setup. It is "private" but allows resort play. I dont think I would tire of playing those two courses, and the practice area is great. The only down side is unless you live and work in north SA it can be a haul to get there. If the offer is right it makes it a tough decision.

Yeah I spent a week in SA recently and it seemed decent. I liked it a lot more than Dallas and Houston but wasn't crazy about it (like when I had been to Phoenix a dozen or so times before moving here but within the first couple of times I said 'I WANT to live here'... there was no doubt about it). It's one of those weird situations that may become a once in a lifetime career opportunity and it may force my hand. What I do know, is there is no opportunity with my current employer in Phoenix. But I'm also not married and overly invested to this company. I mean I haven't even been here a year. Just kind of depends on what they end up putting down on paper if you know what I'm saying.

Live in Dallas and go to SA on business quite a bit, no way could I live there. It makes Dallas look beautiful. I used to live in Scottsdale, if it wasn't for work I'd got back there in a minute.

"Just kind of depends on what they end up putting down on paper if you know what I'm saying."

Exactly, now that you know the perfect times to come play in the valley, and have connections here it would be easy to fly in make a long weekend or week of it. SA is pretty convenient to both coasts. I really do like the TPC SA setup. It is "private" but allows resort play. I dont think I would tire of playing those two courses, and the practice area is great. The only down side is unless you live and work in north SA it can be a haul to get there. If the offer is right it makes it a tough decision.

The office is actually right there by the course... I think it's about 15 minutes away from TPC. We were driving around after lunch one day and drove right by it.

But yeah the thing we keep hearing is like what Jungleland said. Most everyone I talk to who lived in Phoenix but moved away for one reason or another is trying to move back to phoenix or their end goal is end up back in Phoenix. Makes it hard for us to really pack up and leave after just getting here

The office is actually right there by the course... I think it's about 15 minutes away from TPC. We were driving around after lunch one day and drove right by it.

But yeah the thing we keep hearing is like what Jungleland said. Most everyone I talk to who lived in Phoenix but moved away for one reason or another is trying to move back to phoenix or their end goal is end up back in Phoenix. Makes it hard for us to really pack up and leave after just getting here

If you don't have a mortgage and weren't immediately planning to buy a place in Phoenix, and they are fully taking care of the relo and the rest of it (in regards to compensation) it doesn't hurt does it? Give it 24 months or whatever it might be and if you don't like it, scoot back to Arizona.

Personally - especially based on where I've lived before - SA is that little bit even more isolated and out of the way, then where I currently am in Austin. I've only been down to SA a couple times. It seems nice enough, but if you like to travel or have specific places you visit regularly, it might be too out of the way.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

If you don't have a mortgage and weren't immediately planning to buy a place in Phoenix, and they are fully taking care of the relo and the rest of it (in regards to compensation) it doesn't hurt does it? Give it 24 months or whatever it might be and if you don't like it, scoot back to Arizona.

Personally - especially based on where I've lived before - SA is that little bit even more isolated and out of the way, then where I currently am in Austin. I've only been down to SA a couple times. It seems nice enough, but if you like to travel or have specific places you visit regularly, it might be too out of the way.

Yeah so that's what makes this hard. We bought a great house here in Phoenix. In the exact area we wanted and it literally checked every single box on our 'want' list. We love the house. But financially, I'm fine. So that doesn't really play into it. Frankly, we could keep the phoenix house for a while and probably rent something in SA. We are in one of the most stable real estate areas in Phoenix. So even if a downturn happened in the next 24 months, we wouldn't get killed. It's a risk im willing to take.

But the travel thing is the other big thing. A reason why we really loved Phoenix was the proximity to the west coast and rockies. The ease of traveling in and out Sky Harbor and having direct flights almost anywhere. One thing we really wanted was direct flights back home to Columbus. The SA airport is TINY. But for instance tonight we are flying to LA to hangout in Manhattan and Venice Beach this weekend. It's an hour flight. Can quickly get away for the weekend. In couple weeks I am flying to Denver for the weekend. We have quick weekend trips booked for Vegas in early Oct. We have taken a quick weekend in Flagstaff to get out of the heat. But yeah, ease of travel was a pretty big reason why Phoenix was on the short list.

• 1 year later...

Salt Lake City is beautiful

It's also full of Mormons and @sshole drivers.

But there is a TopGolf....

I hear its a nice place to visit, but to move there you may deal with some issues if your not "one of there own". Especially if you are owning a business or doing B2B sales as your chosen profession. Someone I know (just his personal observation and nothing more) that does cover that territory frequently said the priority level of treatment in the business sector is :

Top level - Caucasian & Mormon

Followed by - Mormon and not Caucasian

3rd Tier - Caucasian and not Mormon

4th Tier - Non Caucasian / Non Mormon

So basically the same as everywhere, just substitute whatever regional power group exists. Mormons are just easier to single out because they stick out. I have moved enough to see this be the case everywhere (Jewish, Asian, Black etc, etc,). Las Vegas and Arizona also have high concentrations of Mormons, but not like Utah.

Yeah but Utah is to the extreme. 3/2 beer. Can't get a drink in a bar without ordering food and something like you can't have more than 1 alcoholic drink before dinner is served at restaurants. Until recently (2009?) I think you had to be a member of a club to walk in and order alcoholic beverages in SLC. That is gone now but the point I am trying to make is that SLC is on a different level when it comes to that stuff than most other cities in country. They actually advertise on their tourist website that there are '400 places in Utah where you can get a drink'. Seriously, look it up....

Arizona has a high concentration of Mormons, I think Phoenix is the second biggest population in the country. But the city isn't legislated by the Mormons. SLC on the other hand...

I am not trying to say it's a bad place to live or anything like that. My friends who moved there had vacationed there a couple of times and knew the inconveniences but assumed they were simple inconvenience's. After less than 12 months they are miserable and are moving out. They are also early 30's, not having kids and live a very active life. So for them, the lack of a restaurant scene and any real form of night life really killed everything for them. But as a place for raising a family and kids?? I'm sure it's a totally different experience. I just think before jumping all in on moving to SLC, you need to consider the potential impact of their quirky laws.

I am very interested in what kind of night life a married couple in their early 30s are seeking? I realize they don't have kids, but it is not like you can't get a high quality meal and get drunk as a skunk in SLC. What SLC lacks Park City probably provides. It is one of the great ski destinations in the country. Tons of celebrities have second homes in the PC and Heber area. The things to do in the SLC/Northern Utah area are virtually limitless. Great golf, unlimited outdoor sports from kayaking to fishing to hiking to hunting to skiing. Tour of Utah, great biking, an avid running culture. The NBA, two major college football teams, one being in the Pac-12. Several minor league sports teams. Every major music act comes through. A few hours drive to Zions, Bryce, etc., about 7 hours to Vegas. You can even drive to California in a day.

SLC has a lesbian mayor for goodness sakes.

I realize there is some funky laws here and there and the church dabbles in the state politics, but it is a minor issue considering all of the positives. You have to pretty thinned skinned and wound pretty tight to let some of the little cultural nuances bother you.

I will yield that Utah probably ranks dead last in the country in quality Pizza.

Had to chime in, reviving an old thread as a resident of SLC for almost my entire life - looking to gtfo and fast.

And what, you don't enjoy Little Caesars and Domino's?

I’ll throw out a random one but Bend, OR. For the family you could not ask for a better place. The schools are excellent, even the low rated ones are very good they just have a lower level of parental involvement. The housing is a bit spending (mid-3’s for a first time home owner) but you can still get acreage for in the mid 5’s to 6’s. The weird thing is all the fun stuff is pretty cheap. 3 ski resorts within 40 minutes and 1 20 minutes away. In town you really only get 5-10 snow days a year and they melt off pretty quick. Snowmobile trails 15 minutes away along with cross country skiing. Hot summer day, grab the family and a beer, hop in your inner tubes and float the river that runs through town, takes from 2-4 hours depending on how far you go. Over 400 miles of mountain bike trails, fly fishing and over 50 golf courses within an hour, including some decently priced private clubs.

We have a 6 yr old and he LOVES it here. 3 hours from Portland, 4.5 from Bandon.

Now the job market isn’t the best but their is a lot of construction industry here. You said you are a sales rep? A good friend has the NW for his company and does very well out of Bend, easy trip to Idaho. He flies out of Redmond every other week and it takes him less time to drive to Redmond and fly out or connect than it did in Portland to go through security and park and all that.

I could not recommend it highly enough for a family.

I have lived in San Antonio for the last 11 years. In the past, I lived in Upstate NY (born and raised there) Baltimore, Omaha, Philadelphia and Knoxville, TN. Basically where jobs took me. I have really grown fond of SA. The cost of living is great, year round golf, no state income tax, growing city (7th largest metro area in the US but spread out), nice people and a great place to raise a family. It’s not humid except a few weeks here and there. Summers are hot, but I’ll take that over shoveling snow any day. It can get dry here but has been wet recently. One hour to Austin which is great town (yes, heavy traffic in Austin and rising prices but probably worth it), 3 hours to the gulf coast and an hour to the hill country. There is some traffic but like other cities only in certain spots and basically rush hour. Plenty of places to play golf including great public tracks, Resort courses, country clubs and TPC San Antonio is excellent. We have the Spurs, several amusement parks, the famous Riverwalk and the restaurant scene has become very good starting to resemble the Austin.

Plenty of warm days in the winter and rarely can’t play because of the cold.

I’m a fan of the city and wouldn’t live anywhere where I could not golf year round.

Don't go anywhere. Stay where you are. Don't you realize how lucky you are? Seriously, the grass isn't greener where you think it is. Is this state messed up? Of course it is. But dog gone it, so is every other state out there and the weather absolutely blows everywhere else but here. SoCal has quite possibly the best weather from Jan-Dec in the entire world.

You're moving for all the wrong reasons. You're moving because you want more. You want less traffic, less taxes, better schools, a bigger house and property, etc. The only place that exists that's fits your bill is Alaska and the last time I checked, you can't swing very well when grizzly bears are in your backswing. And that's in the springtime!! And I haven't even mentioned the polar bears!!!!!!! Again, don't you know how good you have it right now? Much better sitting in traffic on the 91 vs. scurrying down to the basement because Hurricane JonesScott is fast approaching. You got it good son, reaaaaaaaaal gooooooooood.

Well you make good points except it isn't about me at all. It's about my kids and seeing neighborhoods turn to s&it and schools that are crap are a huge factor. Yeah I could move more inland to Eastvale or Corona only to be squeezed out in 10 years and then what? Hesperia , Victorville? That's pure ghetto now.

I am spoiled with the weather but when everywhere you go to enjoy the weather is overcrowded, it's something I can sacrifice a couple months out of the year. Unless you can afford to live in $1.5M neighborhoods, it's not what it once was.

What I will miss? Weather, Good Mexican food and going to lots of Anaheim Ducks games. That being said there is an NHL arena pretty close to everywhere.

N. Atlanta might work for ya - great schools, plenty of golf, really cheap housing compared to Cali and we play 10 months here - even more if don't mind the occasional round in the 40s. Hot and humid in the summer, same as Florida. Traffic sucks just like SoCal.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

Don't go anywhere. Stay where you are. Don't you realize how lucky you are? Seriously, the grass isn't greener where you think it is. Is this state messed up? Of course it is. But dog gone it, so is every other state out there and the weather absolutely blows everywhere else but here. SoCal has quite possibly the best weather from Jan-Dec in the entire world.

You're moving for all the wrong reasons. You're moving because you want more. You want less traffic, less taxes, better schools, a bigger house and property, etc. The only place that exists that's fits your bill is Alaska and the last time I checked, you can't swing very well when grizzly bears are in your backswing. And that's in the springtime!! And I haven't even mentioned the polar bears!!!!!!! Again, don't you know how good you have it right now? Much better sitting in traffic on the 91 vs. scurrying down to the basement because Hurricane JonesScott is fast approaching. You got it good son, reaaaaaaaaal gooooooooood.

Well you make good points except it isn't about me at all. It's about my kids and seeing neighborhoods turn to s&it and schools that are crap are a huge factor. Yeah I could move more inland to Eastvale or Corona only to be squeezed out in 10 years and then what? Hesperia , Victorville? That's pure ghetto now.

I am spoiled with the weather but when everywhere you go to enjoy the weather is overcrowded, it's something I can sacrifice a couple months out of the year. Unless you can afford to live in $1.5M neighborhoods, it's not what it once was.

What I will miss? Weather, Good Mexican food and going to lots of Anaheim Ducks games. That being said there is an NHL arena pretty close to everywhere.

N. Atlanta might work for ya - great schools, plenty of golf, really cheap housing compared to Cali and we play 10 months here - even more if don't mind the occasional round in the 40s. Hot and humid in the summer, same as Florida. Traffic sucks just like SoCal.

I tend to agree...most So. Californians I know here in metro ATL have trouble adjusting to the humidity, and the thunderstorms.

Faced with a similar choice some 22 yrs ago...wife had enough snow and cold NE winters...she wanted to move back to FL (Tampa area)...I wasn't as keen on moving back to FL, not the bay area anyway. Northern burbs of ATL offered good schools, very reasonable home prices and generally the dollar went a lot further. Home prices are rising, but still much lower than most cities comparably sized....another 8-10 yrs of this grind and I'd like to cash out and move to a smaller town.

Hard to beat Arizona, especially if you want to stay out West. Move to Scottsdale area, close to your families in California, great golf, certain areas have really great schools, Paradise Valley, Chandler, Tempe, and parts of Scottsdale. Golf is year round, but most people don't play from July-September, it is really cheap though and I didn't mind the heat. I lived there for 4 years and wish I still did, now I am in the Chicago area... unfortunately.

Hard to beat Arizona, especially if you want to stay out West. Move to Scottsdale area, close to your families in California, great golf, certain areas have really great schools, Paradise Valley, Chandler, Tempe, and parts of Scottsdale. Golf is year round, but most people don't play from July-September, it is really cheap though and I didn't mind the heat. I lived there for 4 years and wish I still did, now I am in the Chicago area... unfortunately.

I honestly don’t know a single “avid” golfer that plays significantly less in the summer. For people that live there full time they either play a normal amount or more (for those that don’t belong to clubs). I think what really happens is that a significant percentage of avid golfers are part year residents combined with less tourists and thus the courses are empty.

I honestly don't know a single "avid" golfer that plays significantly less in the summer. For people that live there full time they either play a normal amount or more (for those that don't belong to clubs). I think what really happens is that a significant percentage of avid golfers are part year residents combined with less tourists and thus the courses are empty.

Agreed. I probably played more because the deals were great, and the pace of play was rarely an issue. Playing all the best courses for under $75 is pretty great. Granted, conditions of many of the courses were not exactly pristine, grass on the greens usually kept a bit longer, but for $50 instead of $250 who cares.

St. pete florida.

great weather

value clubs

nice clubs

florida taxes

lots of good players

fsga

beaches

fishing

St. Pete was dated when I lived in Hillsborough county, but that was 35 yrs ago and I'm old now too, probably would fit right in...lol

I still don't know about St Pete, but there are a couple of pockets along the gulf coast I would consider now...Cedar Key to Clearwater and Fort Meyers to just north of Naples.

Echoing others, live in Scottsdale and play waaayyy more in summer. Cheap empty courses in good condition and can play 18 easily under 3 hours. Yes, you have to be heat tolerant but if you are it’s great.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Pretty hard to beat Scottsdale during the winter months.

Scottsdale is awesome in the fall/winter/early spring.... how do you manage in the summer thought?

Honestly, mid -July to mid-September kinda sucks but nothing compared to winter in the NE or Midwest which is a soul crushing, never ending, nightmare (to me :) ). May/June is my favorite time of the year. I walk and carry bag all year round without any issue whatsoever. Sometimes I play early in the summer and sometimes in the afternoon.

Pretty much this. May was by far and away the best month I have been here for. Early June was really nice as well. This is my first summer here after moving from the MW. I have zero interest in going back to the Midwest after living here (and it's mid summer and I'm still saying that). In the 9+ months that I have been here, there has been ideal weather for 8 of them. Mid June until now it has been pretty brutal... but it's still easy to play golf. Tee off at 7am and get done before noon and it's no problem at all. People have this belief that it's above 100* in Phoenix permanently (not true) and that's above 100* every minute of the summer (not true). It's 85 when you tee off at 7 am and hasn't hit 100* yet by the time you finish. Just get out of dodge from about Noon till 5pm and it's over.

As they say, you don't have to shovel the sun. It's 'Winter' in phoenix right now and I am still golfing, hiking, and taking 20 mile bike rides. You just adjust your schedule a little. As opposed to the Midwest where you really just can't do any of that (yes you can golf in 40* but let's be real.. it sucks and it never feels like 'real' golf). Plus, even when it's hot and the weather is 'bad', there is something about looking out the window and seeing blue skies all day long instead of that grey in the Midwest.

I was in Scottsdale for business in March and played at We Ko Pa the first in the morning. It was cold in mid 30s. Everyone in my some was out-of-towner and was not prepared for the temperature.

Anyways, it was beautiful all around. I thought to myself that I could live in PHX metro area. Clean air & blue sky.

as others mentioned already, living in Phoenix is great but not for the air quality lol, it is one of the worst places in the country for that

as others mentioned already, living in Phoenix is great but not for the air quality lol, it is one of the worst places in the country for that

That’s a bit deceptive. This article explains it a bit: https://www.12news.com/article/news/local/verify/phoenix-ranks-5th-worst-in-pollution-among-us-cities-per-new-report/445346735

That said, you get out of it pretty quickly. The air pollution outside of the main city is nothing compared to most large metro areas. When I leave my house heading in that direction you can often see the line where it really starts. Clean air and blue skies is normal for North Scottsdale although at the moment the weather sucks!

I'm very lucky in that my job allows me to live anywhere I want and with a young child and a love of golf the easy choice is Scottsdale. So much so that even though it hasn't always been my primary residence over the last 20 years (post college) I've had a residence in Scottsdale continuously during that time that I went to as much as possible. Sydney is really the only close second and everything else is less.

Moved to Scottsdale a few years ago from CA. Love it here, but I would have concerns as a parent. Scottsdale has some of the best private schools in the country, but the public schooling in AZ is consistently rated as one of the worst. And it shows. Private school would still be much cheaper than a life in CA, though.