2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Healing Golfers Elbow

Mdemuth

Wanted to share my experience with golfers elbow as it's the most annoying thing to fix. I think I may have found a fast track to healing. It's nothing new, I'm not a doctor, but have been through a lot of physical therapy for spine and shoulder, active release etc...

I developed golfers elbow years ago after committing to getting good at golf, so lots of practice, bad mechanicals etc... I dealt with it for almost 3 years, last winter it kinda healed up a lot, but still always felt bloated or tight no matter what, but could play.

Played tennis a few weeks ago and the arm totally flared up and was more painful than it ever was.

Since I had that week off, and was scheduled to play bethpage, I continued my week and played the following sat as well, which hurt. So I decided I need to heal the arm of for real because I want to play at my full potential(pain free), but that meant I will leave to give up the season... no way...lol

So longer story short, I got a 40$ Omron Tens therapy unit. I had used it at PT on my shoulder years ago so I thought i would try it. Although at those PT sessions they throw it on for 15 mins after, which does nothing...

In one day after using the tens, It's gone, I have full range, just feels like the tendon and muscles are relaxed in a normal way. Not completely healed obviously, but the continuous pain that debilitates you is gone, no soreness even to touch. Therefore will allow faster healing because its not inflamed. I basically used it all day sunday, it feels sooo good. Basically feels like your tendons and muscles are being triggered in a way that shakes of the scar tissue, at least in my mind. It activates the tendons and muscles that you don't really trigger enough to get it cleared up. More pain relief and anti inflammation than a couple of aleve ever gave me.

I've done it all before, rest, Myotherapy, PT, ART, Accupunture, with decent results, after a while, but none ever mentioned to try a tens. They say it's works great for some and not for others. Some say it's a placebo, but hey if it works I'll take placebo any day. It's worth a shot if your just fed up with living with the pain.

It's only been three days, but I'm feeling great and I know it sucks and if you love golf it really sucks so just wanted to share my positive experience. I will follow up in 3 weeks, hoping to get back on the course then.

Again, not a doctor, but this is working for me, and thought some people would like another option. good luck to anyone who has it.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had surgery last May for it. Literally tried everything from cortisone, dry needle technique, taking time off, elbow braces, rehab and strengthening programs, tens units, etc, etc, etc. Nothing helped. Bottom line... if there's a tear, it has to be fixed no different than if someone tears their ACL or rotator cuff. It's not going to heal on it's own in most (not all) cases because there's so little blood flow to that region. It may become less aggravated and feel better, but chances are that it's still there waiting to rear it's ugly head. If you have a mild case, then try to heal it on your own. If you have it where it's lasted months or longer and it just won't go away, I would definitely go get checked out. I spent the better part of a year trying to heal it on my own before finally going to the doctor and getting an MRI and finding out that there was a tear that had to be repaired.

And for any of you that could possibly have surgery for it, don't believe that 3 month recovery window that doctors like to say. I would be thinking closer to 9-12. I've talked to quite a few people who have had the surgery and none of the were anywhere close to good to go at 3 months. I was able to start chipping at 3 months and full swings at 6. At that point, I was really concerned because I was having quite a bit of pain after hitting balls. It took nearly a year before I could say that I was 100% symptom free which is pretty much the consensus of everyone I've talked to and it feels good as new now. Glad I got it done.

Dry needling with Tens worked for my golfers elbow. The therapist would put the needles in my elbow and then attach the tens unit to the needles. He would let the unit run for about 10 to 15 minutes. After that he would "scrape" the tendon around the elbow. After about 6 sessions it was hard to tell if it was going to work but now I am pain free and don't have to wear an annoying elbow brace every time I play.

I have a Tens machine at home and use it after any sign of the pain coming back.

• 1 month later...

Wanted to share my experience with golfers elbow as it's the most annoying thing to fix. I think I may have found a fast track to healing. It's nothing new, I'm not a doctor, but have been through a lot of physical therapy for spine and shoulder, active release etc...

I developed golfers elbow years ago after committing to getting good at golf, so lots of practice, bad mechanicals etc... I dealt with it for almost 3 years, last winter it kinda healed up a lot, but still always felt bloated or tight no matter what, but could play.

Played tennis a few weeks ago and the arm totally flared up and was more painful than it ever was.

Since I had that week off, and was scheduled to play bethpage, I continued my week and played the following sat as well, which hurt. So I decided I need to heal the arm of for real because I want to play at my full potential(pain free), but that meant I will leave to give up the season... no way...lol

So longer story short, I got a 40$ Omron Tens therapy unit. I had used it at PT on my shoulder years ago so I thought i would try it. Although at those PT sessions they throw it on for 15 mins after, which does nothing...

In one day after using the tens, It's gone, I have full range, just feels like the tendon and muscles are relaxed in a normal way. Not completely healed obviously, but the continuous pain that debilitates you is gone, no soreness even to touch. Therefore will allow faster healing because its not inflamed. I basically used it all day sunday, it feels sooo good. Basically feels like your tendons and muscles are being triggered in a way that shakes of the scar tissue, at least in my mind. It activates the tendons and muscles that you don't really trigger enough to get it cleared up. More pain relief and anti inflammation than a couple of aleve ever gave me.

I've done it all before, rest, Myotherapy, PT, ART, Accupunture, with decent results, after a while, but none ever mentioned to try a tens. They say it's works great for some and not for others. Some say it's a placebo, but hey if it works I'll take placebo any day. It's worth a shot if your just fed up with living with the pain.

It's only been three days, but I'm feeling great and I know it sucks and if you love golf it really sucks so just wanted to share my positive experience. I will follow up in 3 weeks, hoping to get back on the course then.

Again, not a doctor, but this is working for me, and thought some people would like another option. good luck to anyone who has it.

*****UPDATE****** 7 WEEKS LATER********

I'm almost 100%, better than i was before I made my golfers elbow totally blow playing tennis. I plan to play golf next weekend (but i won't be doing the driving range for another few weeks, that could be bad). Haven't touched a club since June 10th, which I think is crucial, it sucks, but best to try and just forget it.

I think it's important to note, I feel i have a very good physical therapist, who actually forces results. I spent years with herniated discs, and torn shoulder, all the doctors said i needed surgery, and I saw 7 physical therapist, non of them did much actual Physical therapy, they just watch you do the exercises, and that's crap. Don't accept it. I learned this when I finally met the PT guy who saved me from the past neck/back/shoulder problems. He doesn't have me do 12 different excercies he give you motions to do when your on your own with some very specific light exercises that don't feel like exercises, if your sweating it's too much...... and when I see him he is ALL HANDS ON. Non of this, "ok do 3 sets of so and so, how does that feel?" Get a Physical therapist who works your muscles and tendons everywhere, not just your arm or elbow....

The Tens Meter was a huge help in the first few weeks, really brought the pain to a minimum, without using NSAIDs. Ice helped as well the first few weeks. Do very light stretching these first few weeks, don't over do it, but keep it moving as much as you can. I also used some cream called Pentetrex, it helped. I also used the BAND-IT for stability the first few weeks. Both can be bought on amazon.

I used Kung-Fu powder as well for two weeks when I slept. And I used it after I stopped using ice(PT guy said ice was bad after a certain point), whenever i felt it was inflamed, from like say 5 hours of putting LOLOL

https://cdn3.volusion.com/dxhou.cjyfh/v/vspfiles/photos/KHB17003-2.jpg?1426588445

Once it's not excruciating anymore, you can start using the flex bar (might want to start with the yellow or red, depending on what you can handle) like the following link:

I also did this eccentric hand exercise with weight that doesn't hurt:

I added some more intense stretching like this video :

​There was one stretch that i found just a few weeks ago, and it worked wonders, granted i was already on the road to recovery but it seemed to really help, here it is.

https://tomrandallclimbing.wordpress.com/2012/11/23/golfers-elbow-a-possible-solution/

The guy shows it on the floor, which is more difficult, and it's just as easy to do it against a wall.

Also ulner nerve gliding:

One excersies I did take on just two weeks ago that is a little more of a work out is basically like a kung fu punch (twisting forearms as you pull and push, with resistance each way( front and back) Sorry I can't find a video of this. I basically use a band that you can attached to a pole or hook and give good resistance, more than a theraband.

Basically, I did everything I could, and committed to it, everyday, whenever it got uncomfortable I did all these stretches. It hurst the whole time, and hurts worse before it gets better every time you exercise it, as with any joint/tendon injury.

Sorry if this is hard to read and all over the place, but I hope this info can help others, give you ideas and what to look for and get an idea of what your doing. But I think the PT guy who actually does the work is number one priority.

thankfully I will still get another 5 months of golf in before snow :)

good luck!

TENS and IFC just mask/control the pain (I used IFC for years for my knee). They are not therapy for actually healing the root of the problem. The Therabar Green is the most productive therapy for actually healing and strengthening so that the problem does not come back.

Dry Needling is generally used for alleviating scar tissue that other methods cannot reach (I also had that done on my knee many times). I've never heard of DN being used for golfers/tennis elbow.

This is for the inside of the elbow NOT the outside.

I tried all sorts of stuff but you really don't need the Theraband Flexbar. All you need is a 15-20 pound dumb bell.

Sit down, do a bicep curl and curl your forearm as much as possible with the 'bad' arm. Now slowly release the bicep between your legs while you keeping the forearm curled as much as possible (should take about 5 seconds) when your elbow straightens out slowly release the forearm curl part. Then repeat this 4-10 times. You might actually feel and hear what seems like crunching or tearing. Problem gone inside of 3 days. Did this a couple times a day. The 'tearing and popping' freaked me out at first but I simply think is was scar tissue getting ripped up. Had something similar with a sprained ankle that just hung on for months and months. One day I got sick of it and just stretched the hell out of it, sounded like I was breaking chicken bones, but boom pain gone next day.