Oban Kiyoshi White vs Black

Lloyd_Christmas29

I plan to order an Oban shaft in my next driver because they feel great. A buddy of mine has a kiyoshi black 75 05 flex in his driver and I love it but its a little heavier than I like. I have heard many mixed opinions about these shafts. Some people say they are mid high lunch but from what I have found that is not the case with the black at least. Titleist has them as the lowest launching shafts they offer on their chart and I would like some honest opinions from people that have tried both side to side. I have been told the white is slightly lower launching so I was thinking of going with that in a 65 05 but with so many mixed reviews I am not really sure. Thanks for any input!

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9* Ventus TR Red 6X BRNR Mini 13.5* Diamana ZF 70X

Paradym 💎💎💎T 18* Ventus Red 8X

ZX Utility 4 iron Steelfiber 110X

P7TW 5-PW DG Tour Issue X100

SM10 Jet Black 52F, 56S, 60M DG Tour Issue S400

Odyssey Versa #7

Pro V1X

[quote name='Russ757' timestamp='1418404095' post='10583595']
White mid plays stiff to flex. Smoooooth
Black low and truer to flex.. Not as smooth but far from boardy
[/quote]
So the white is mid launch and plays stiff to flex while the black is lower launch but smoother. Correct?

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9* Ventus TR Red 6X BRNR Mini 13.5* Diamana ZF 70X

Paradym 💎💎💎T 18* Ventus Red 8X

ZX Utility 4 iron Steelfiber 110X

P7TW 5-PW DG Tour Issue X100

SM10 Jet Black 52F, 56S, 60M DG Tour Issue S400

Odyssey Versa #7

Pro V1X

I've played the White off and on this past year and found it to be exceptionally smooth. The reason in my mind for that is a softer butt end and stiff tip. I liked the mid launch and low spin performance for me but it took me a while to adjust to the swing that produced the best results with it's bend profile.

[quote name='Redhill' timestamp='1418448130' post='10586835']
I've played the White off and on this past year and found it to be exceptionally smooth. The reason in my mind for that is a softer butt end and stiff tip. I liked the mid launch and low spin performance for me but it took me a while to adjust to the swing that produced the best results with it's bend profile.
[/quote]

I had a hard time adjusting my swing to the White, I'm trying the Devotion for a bit as it seems "less smooth" than the KW, but I'm sure the White will make a return appearance at some point.

Was it the 75 white? I put one in a fw and ended up with a sky mark on a beloved 3446. Couldn't get timing down w that shaft

G425 Max 10.5* Diamana S LTD

G425 Max 16.5* Diamana 75 FW 

G425 Max 19* MMT 80 

Srixon ZX UT 23* MMT 90

Srixon ZX5 5-AW MMT 105

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54/58 MMT 105 SW

Ping Kushin 4

WITB

• 2 years later...

Apologize for reviving an old thread...

Wondering because Titleist and TMag still have the White as one of the lowest launch/spin options. What's it most similar to and how's the White compare to some of the newer stuff? Tensei White, Diamana Ltd D+, Black Tie 60m4, Speeder Evo II & III, etc.?

• Like 1

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Hi Guys,

Already sent the OP a PM, but just so you know you can always take all the "guess work" out if these shaft inquires and just have ShaftShack.com send the demo shafts direct to your door for you to test in the real world! We have demos of Oban's complete line for both driver and 3-wood, along with a bunch of other premium level shafts from the top brands. Check us out! And if you have any questions, please drop us a line!

Best,

Phil

www.ShaftShack.com

[email protected]

1-888-751-5127

Hi Guys,

Already sent the OP a PM, but just so you know you can always take all the "guess work" out if these shaft inquires and just have ShaftShack.com send the demo shafts direct to your door for you to test in the real world! We have demos of Oban's complete line for both driver and 3-wood, along with a bunch of other premium level shafts from the top brands. Check us out! And if you have any questions, please drop us a line!

Best,

Phil

www.ShaftShack.com

[email protected]

1-888-751-5127

OP was from 2014.

Apologize for reviving an old thread...

Wondering because Titleist and TMag still have the White as one of the lowest launch/spin options. What's it most similar to and how's the White compare to some of the newer stuff? Tensei White, Diamana Ltd D+, Black Tie 60m4, Speeder Evo II & III, etc.?

The Kiyoshi White is more mid launch/low spin and the Kiyoshi Black a low launch/low spin. If you're looking for a few other shafts with similar characteristics to the Black, I would recommend the Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec, Speeder Evo Tour Spec, the Speeder Pro Tour Spec, Pro Tour Spec, the Mitsubishi W-Series and Kuro Kage XT, Graphite Design BB and m9003. The Oban definitely is legit and has a smooth feel and performance that is still very relevant today.

Hope that helps. We have not tested the Tensei White, Diamana Ltd D+, or Black Tie 60m4, but they are also in the category of low/low. The Speeder Evo II & III are counterbalanced and more mid/mid from what I remember.

Hi Guys,

Best,

Phil

www.ShaftShack.com

[email protected]

1-888-751-5127

OP was from 2014.

Ha! Thanks :blink:

Haha, cool and thanks for the info. I just got the White but thought I'd poke around to see what folks thought. Glad to hear it's still relevant.

Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

• 1 month later...

Haha, cool and thanks for the info. I just got the White but thought I'd poke around to see what folks thought. Glad to hear it's still relevant.

How are you liking the Kiyoshi white? Am considering the 65 white or purple for an M1 440 head. Thanks

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

How are you liking the Kiyoshi white? Am considering the 65 white or purple for an M1 440 head. Thanks

The white and the purple are very different profiles. The purple is quite stiff in the butt and gets softer through the profile. Mid/high launch. Nice kick but stable. The white is softer in the butt and gets stiffer through the profile. More like the profile of a whiteboard. Mid to mid/low launch and. The white feels stiffer to flex to me than the purple also.

Rogue st Max 10.5 Tour AD VR 6

Titleist TSi2 16.5 Tour AD DI 7

Sim Ti 19.75 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75

PXG Gen 2 22 Hybrid Kiyoshi Purple

Cobra King Tour 5-g Elevate Tour
Ping S159 56W and 60B KBS 120
Bettinardi BB-28SB

I didn't request it, but my White came tipped an inch. Was a giveaway so unfortunately no return policy for me.

Feels ultra smooth and super stable but, all in S-flex, this shaft plays stiffer than any other "stable" shaft in my current harem: Speeder 6.2, Kuro Kage Dual-Core, Tensei Pro White, D+ Ltd, and Regio Formula MB. The tipping is most likely a contributor, but I don't think it's the whole story.

For me, it launches higher and spins less than the Dual-Core in the 2017 M1 460. Also, this might be because of the weight of the head, but the balance of the club feels like it's maybe 1/2 of the way down the shaft. This set-up doesn't work for me but both the head and the shaft definitely have potential. Just not together. Pairing the White with a low-lofted moderate spin head might be ideal for me. Could bring a lot of driver models I've not considered into the mix.

Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

You do see some players who typically play stiff shafts opting for the regular shaft in the Oban Kiyoshi Black and the White. I don't reallly know how much stiffness a 1-inch tip trim adds. A half-flex? A third? Less or more? And I don't know if it varies by shaft design. May be worth it for me to rent demos from shaft shack and just hit a bunch of them. They also have the Diamana BF now, which a lot of players like. The appeal of the Kiyoshi is its vaunted accuracy. Thanks for the info.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Oh.. accuracy...

For me, Tensei Pro White > Speeder 6.2 > Kiyoshi White > Dual Core

Obviously, YMMV.

Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

• 4 months later...

I use a Kiyoshi White 65 04 tipped an inch and no shaft can touch it for accuracy - the White 04 is roughly equal to the Black 05 from a "stiffness" feel standpoint in my experience

Have tried every shaft listed here and the straightest, smoothest, lowest and longest for me is the White 65 04 tipped an inch...(not even HZRDUS, 7.2 TS, ADDI7 or D+ beats it)

YMMV...but just a fantastic shaft

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just my opinion....I have hit the Oban Black, Gold, Purple, White, Tour LTD....I currently game the White, and wouldn't hesitate to bag the Tour LTD again. Just excellent on both counts. White feels like a whip for sure, LTD stable as can be. Both feel great. Can't go wrong with the Kiyoshi line at all.

• Like 1

I use a Kiyoshi White 65 04 tipped an inch and no shaft can touch it for accuracy - the White 04 is roughly equal to the Black 05 from a "stiffness" feel standpoint in my experience

Have tried every shaft listed here and the straightest, smoothest, lowest and longest for me is the White 65 04 tipped an inch...(not even HZRDUS, 7.2 TS, ADDI7 or D+ beats it)

YMMV...but just a fantastic shaft

Same. I put my 1'' tipped 65 04 KW against a 70tx Pro Orange and the KW was outdriving it by 20ish yards. It was also more accurate as well.

• Like 2