Is a laser rangefinder really necessary?

Serious question: I have a GPS (Garmin G6) and it works well. Touchscreen, color, distances to the cup, critical distance on each hole, etc. I can move the cursor around the screen and get distances to bunkers, water, back/front green. With all of these features, what advantage does a laser rangefinder have? I know that a lot of folks here use rangefinders and consider it a critical tool to improve their golf game by being able to accurately know distances.

Thanks.

Serious question: I have a GPS (Garmin G6) and it works well. Touchscreen, color, distances to the cup, critical distance on each hole, etc. I can move the cursor around the screen and get distances to bunkers, water, back/front green. With all of these features, what advantage does a laser rangefinder have? I know that a lot of folks here use rangefinders and consider it a critical tool to improve their golf game by being able to accurately know distances.

Thanks.

I have the Garmin S4 and some days it is off by as much as 8 yards. Not a big deal for me at 200 out. With a wedge in my hands that is too much doubt.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

If it's necessary to know your true distance to any given spot(pin, bunker, water, etc), then yes. If you are cool with estimating and guessing, then no. IMO they become increasingly necessary the better player you are, and vice versa.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x    OR   FliHi 3(19*) - Modus 125x

Edel SMS 4,5 SMS Pro 6-P - PX LS 6.5

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

Used Golflogix exclusively for years, but switched to Laser because of above stated reasons.

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

I use both. I have a Garmin watch that was a tee prize in an event I played in. I also use a Leupod GX-3i2 . It gives me a better shot. If I know the pin is at 170 and the back of the green is 174, It may change my club selection. I want to know where to miss. We have tricky greens at my home course and the misses on them are crucial. It's always beneficial to me to know where my greatest margin of error is. Also I know distances to clear water, bunker, etc.

• Like 1

I use a laser rangefiner. My wife really wanted one too...but I just bought my wife a Voice Caddie SC300 figuring it'd be easier for her to use and give her enough info to make the club decision. All honestly, I was surprised with how fairly close her Voice Caddie is to my laser rangerfinder (with exception of the slope function).

I once commented to a scratch golfer that I use a laser rangefinder vs. a GPS device because it's much more accurate...like 5 yards more accurate. He asked..."For our skill levels (non-competitive golf)...is it going to make that significant of a difference." I pondered his question and realized that for the most part...it wouldn't.

No single piece of equipment has had a bigger impact on my game than the laser. When I got my first one, I dropped several strokes off of my cap vs the GPS I was using going from around 10 to mid 6's. Removing the variable of distance means more focus on left/right. Playing courses with large greens can easily mean at least a club difference against a GPS.

Now that I hardly ever get to get onto a course and my cap would be HORRIBLE if I kept one, it's not quite as big of a deal. My distance control isn't so hot with all the rust. Lol

Each has their advantages and drawbacks. A combination of both is most ideal. However, if I could only choose one then I'd choose a rangefinder.

I like knowing exact distances to flags, and I can almost always laser to the face of a bunker to estimate carry distance over fairway bunkers and the bunkers protecting the green.

GPS really shines on courses with complex layouts and/or lots of water features. It's also better for getting an idea for how far to the back of the green as well as the shape of the green if you aren't familiar with the course.

Titleist 910D2 9.5* Tour Issue
TEE XCG7 15*
Srixon Z545 4-PW
Vokey SM6 46* 50* 54* 58*
John Byron DaleHead 2

Each has their advantages and drawbacks. A combination of both is most ideal. However, if I could only choose one then I'd choose a rangefinder.

I like knowing exact distances to flags, and I can almost always laser to the face of a bunker to estimate carry distance over fairway bunkers and the bunkers protecting the green.

GPS really shines on courses with complex layouts and/or lots of water features. It's also better for getting an idea for how far to the back of the green as well as the shape of the green if you aren't familiar with the course.

I was about to post something similar. It's not a one vs. the other thing. Ideally, you want both.

I have so many GPS devices, watches, apps and only one rangefinder.

Ever since I've gotten used to my Garmin S20 watch, I hardly use anything else unless it's on a course I do not know well.

I still use the rangerfinder but only on ocassional approach shots.

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

The GPS devices will keep track of statistics IE distances you hit each club and will keep track of your score and compile stats based on past performances. Also you can use the GPS as a map of the course you're playing. So you an see where the sand traps are water is and the layup distances etc etc.

Rangefinder won't do any of that...Ive been using my G8 garmin and my buddy his bushnell and when the flag is in the center of the green my GPS has been spot on with his rangefinder. I can approximate where the flag is by moving it on the G8 and the distances are negligible. I guess if you're on the PGA tour ok I can see a few yards make a difference but for mainstream golfers I don't see where a few yards makes that much of a difference.

I guess its personal preference.

The G8 shows the distances instantly where the rangefinder you have to point and shoot and hope you hit the flagstick.

I have both.

A Bushnell Neo XS GPS and a V4 Shift laser.

The GPS gets looked at before every shot, but there are 4 or 5 occasions each round when the laser is much more valuable.

Two examples off the top of my head:

• a short (140 yard) par 3 with a creek directly in front of the small (10-12 yard deep) green and a sharp slope behind it. I want to know EXACTLY what the carry is to cover the creek from the two different sets of teeboxes used;
  • an S shaped par 5 where you often need to know how far to hit it to carry the trees lining the left side, but staying short of the treeline on the right.

A GPS isn't accurate enough in these two situations.

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I use a range finder on the range.

I use my GPS watch far more on the course. The distances to the front, middle and back at a glance give me a better idea of what I need to hit than distance to the flag.

Of course, I play 90% of my golf on my home course and know the greens, so I'm shooting to spots rather than flags usually.

Thanks for all the candid responses. Guess I'll start looking at Rangefinders now.

Thats how I do it, see the hole and shoot the flag. BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I use a range finder on the range.

I use my GPS watch far more on the course. The distances to the front, middle and back at a glance give me a better idea of what I need to hit than distance to the flag.

Of course, I play 90% of my golf on my home course and know the greens, so I'm shooting to spots rather than flags usually.

That seems logical except those times you shoot with a rangefinder and the pin actually is a few steps before the front or beyond the back of the green. That is my issue with GPS. From 180 out it is probably accurate enough. With a wedge in my hand I hate the fact gps is occasionally 8 yards off.

I have both but only because I have, from time to time, played courses where the layout has changed and the GPS is rendered useless. This happened a few times too many with my old Skycaddie and my Garmin G6 is much better but it has still happened occasionally. Where the GPS is accurate on familiar courses I'm happy with the GPS. On new courses the laser can be very useful though.

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

Both. Glance at watch then laser pin. GPS confirms I'm not shooting something behind the green.

Had a GPS watch for at least a year before the laser. I feel both have incrementally improved my game.

I cannot trust a fairway marker anymore - seen too many significant discrepancy's.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

technology is truly killing so many things....

the best ball strikers in the world never had rangefinders....what happened to playing with your eyes and your feel...

count me out...

Baloney.

The best ball strikers in the world (PGA tour pros) have their caddies create their yardage books days in advance using...you guessed it....laser range finders. So good that if you listen to them talk to their caddies you will hear them coming up with yardage numbers down to the single yard and then sticking it to a few feet.

the best ball strikers in the world never had rangefinders....what happened to playing with your eyes and your feel...

count me out...

Baloney.

The best ball strikers in the world (PGA tour pros) have their caddies create their yardage books days in advance using...you guessed it....laser range finders. So good that if you listen to them talk to their caddies you will hear them coming up with yardage numbers down to the single yard and then sticking it to a few feet.

hogan, nicklaus, woods, snead, etc never had that...

the guys today rely on that...

i rest my case

count me out...

Baloney.

i rest my case

Besides anecdotal accounts what evidence do you have that they were better ballstrikers than the players of today? I mean I know Hogan hit it straight...... Ii guess the fairways were shaggy??

count me out...

Baloney.

i rest my case

Besides anecdotal accounts what evidence do you have that they were better ballstrikers than the players of today? I mean I know Hogan hit it straight...... Ii guess the fairways were shaggy??

the evidence is in the history. the players themselves have talked about how technology has transformed the game. nicklaus, gary player, even tiger have talked about it.

pro's have tried hitting old clubs and older golf balls which were smaller and have said how they cant believe those guys were able to hit it.

its becoming a game of science rather than skill. because of that the pga is now considering banning green mapping because of this very issue of technology vs skill.