2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Is a laser rangefinder really necessary?

technology is truly killing so many things....

the best ball strikers in the world never had rangefinders....what happened to playing with your eyes and your feel...

count me out...

Baloney.

The best ball strikers in the world (PGA tour pros) have their caddies create their yardage books days in advance using...you guessed it....laser range finders. So good that if you listen to them talk to their caddies you will hear them coming up with yardage numbers down to the single yard and then sticking it to a few feet.

hogan, nicklaus, woods, snead, etc never had that...

the guys today rely on that...

i rest my case

The best ball strikers all had maps and caddies. Watch the old videos of Nicklaus: he's not just eyeballing, wetting a finger and throwing it up in the air, then pulling a club. His caddie is pulling a yardage book, they figure out where they are, deduce a number and then hit it to that number.

This merely speeds the process and makes it more accurate.

More importantly - much more importantly - for the amateur golfer it dramatically speeds up play. We don't sit watching the hack in front of us wander around looking for a sprinkler head with a yardage marker, then consult the pin placement sheet, do some quick calculus and top his shot only to repeat the process.

Knowing the yardage instantly is one of the very few effective steps to eliminating slow play we've actually developed.

the best ball strikers in the world never had rangefinders....what happened to playing with your eyes and your feel...

count me out...

Baloney.

The best ball strikers in the world (PGA tour pros) have their caddies create their yardage books days in advance using...you guessed it....laser range finders. So good that if you listen to them talk to their caddies you will hear them coming up with yardage numbers down to the single yard and then sticking it to a few feet.

i rest my case

What? hogan, Nicklaus, woods, Snead never had their yardages? They sure as hell did. They just got it the old fashioned way by their caddies walking the course and getting numbers.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x    OR   FliHi 3(19*) - Modus 125x

Edel SMS 4,5 SMS Pro 6-P - PX LS 6.5

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

Nicklaus is credited with starting the revolution of having down to the yard numbers and playing to the number instead of 'feeling it.'

Woods didn't have it?!?!?

Hogan and Nelson played with a lot of feel, but certainly knew how far it was to the front, center, back, and to carry hazards.

Incorrect viewpoint and worse evidence.

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

i never said

count me out...

Baloney.

i rest my case

What? hogan, Nicklaus, woods, Snead never had their yardages? They sure as hell did. They just got it the old fashioned way by their caddies walking the course and getting numbers.

i never said they didnt have yardages, did i?

theres a difference between a caddie in 1952 figuring out yardages by walking and by a caddie in 2017 being able to pinpoint any spot 300 yards away and never moving.

one has a significant advantage due to the technology of the day.

im not against technology, but at some point theres gotta be a limit to where it overrides the skill, ie anchored putters, certain grooves, and now perhaps green mapping in the PRO WORLD.

in the amateur world i get that it speeds up play which is practical and fine on the course. off the course is another thing.

count me out...

Baloney.

i rest my case

Yeah man, they apparently just knew every single distance by eyeand feel alone. Ungodly skill matched by no modern man, not even sure why we still have professional golfers getting paid when technology has made it so easy

i never said

count me out...

Baloney.

i rest my case

i never said they didnt have yardages, did i?

theres a difference between a caddie in 1952 figuring out yardages by walking and by a caddie in 2017 being able to pinpoint any spot 300 yards away and never moving.

one has a significant advantage due to the technology of the day.

im not against technology, but at some point theres gotta be a limit to where it overrides the skill, ie anchored putters, certain grooves, and now perhaps green mapping in the PRO WORLD.

in the amateur world i get that it speeds up play which is practical and fine on the course. off the course is another thing.

Actually yes you did, clearly stated in your post, they went by eye and feel alone.

And there is no difference between what a caddie did in 1952 and what a caddie does today (during an actual tour round). They still have a yardage book, they still find a reference point, and still measure it off. The only difference is how much easier/faster the caddies can build an accurate yardage book prior to the round. A yard was 36" in 1952, same as a yard today. Shockingly enough they did have other methods to measure distance, even back in 1952

count me out...

Baloney.

i rest my case

Yeah man, they apparently just knew every single distance by eyeand feel alone. Ungodly skill matched by no modern man, not even sure why we still have professional golfers getting paid when technology has made it so easy

u like to argue just to argue....thats obvious...

if you are that dense that you cant understand how technology has changed the game maybe you should take up knitting

You can't stop time.

Technology changes everything.

Distance measuring technology hasn't changed the game as much as the ball, club and shaft improvements, and agronomy.

Since you like history, do you watch the old Shell WWoG matches? Hogan and Snead were putting on greens that are slower than the fairways at today's tour stops. Shaggy fairways and greens stimping at 7' make knowing exact distance much less critical.

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Actually yes you did, clearly stated in your post, they went by eye and feel alone.

And there is no difference between what a caddie did in 1952 and what a caddie does today (during an actual tour round). They still have a yardage book, they still find a reference point, and still measure it off. The only difference is how much easier/faster the caddies can build an accurate yardage book prior to the round. A yard was 36" in 1952, same as a yard today. Shockingly enough they did have other methods to measure distance, even back in 1952

------

where did i say they play by feel "alone" ??

nice try...

you really cant understand how difficult and how much less information the caddies could gather in the 50's as opposed to today and what a difference in advantages that is?

have you ever seen a mapped green the caddies use today?

NYC, that made me laugh.

But on a serious note...technology changing the game was not the argument you were making.

Piretti Savona 

Technology has changed the game. I wouldn't agree that technology in golf has done anything negative, let alone 'kill' the game. The equipment that Hogan and Snead played with was more advanced than the stuff Old Tom Morris used. Likewise, Day and McIlroy use upgraded equipment from the Hogan era. That being said, every crotchety old man in history has shaken his fist at the youngsters and lamented progress and the spoilation of 'what is good'.

You can't stop time.

Technology changes everything.

Distance measuring technology hasn't changed the game as much as the ball, club and shaft improvements, and agronomy.

Since you like history, do you watch the old Shell WWoG matches? Hogan and Snead were putting on greens that are slower than the fairways at today's tour stops. Shaggy fairways and greens stimping at 7' make knowing exact distance much less critical.

technology is all of that, rangefinders included, exactly.

all of that has changed the game, some to better it, some perhaps to its downfall.....thats the nature of any technology

hey we split an atom...fk now we can blow up the world...oops...

look at every idiot on a phone these days...thats technology. walking zombies...

Technology has changed the game. I wouldn't agree that technology in golf has done anything negative, let alone 'kill' the game. The equipment that Hogan and Snead played with was more advanced than the stuff Old Tom Morris used. Likewise, Day and McIlroy use upgraded equipment from the Hogan era. That being said, every crotchety old man in history has shaken his fist at the youngsters and lamented progress and the spoilation of 'what is good'.

yes its like that with most things, i get that....the "when i was young blah blah blah" guy :)

but theres a purity in things that tends to get tainted and lost bc of technology.

when hogan was interviewed he said he had a hard day every day of his life and he was grateful for it. people that were handed things he felt sorry for, bc they didnt understand the value of that thing then.

technology is doing that across the board, golf included....call me crazy and philosophical... :) :)

if you are that dense that you cant understand how technology has changed the game maybe you should take up knitting

I don't like to argue, I just have no issue responding to assertions that are no more than opinions supported by anecdotal evidence. I never once said technology hasn't changed the game, it just has not changed it to the degree that you make it seem, as if the tech has made it so easy that anyone can do it or that the players are some how less skilled than they were back then. Even with more information and advanced equipment, at the end of the day the golfer still needs to have the skill to get the ball in the hole with the fewest strokes possible. Perhaps the scoring ceiling has been lowered (which is clear with courses getting longer and longer, more penal rough, silly fast baked greens, etc). But at the end of the day everyone in the field has access to the same exact technology, so to win you still need to be the most skilled golfer out of a 152 guys for any given week. Its not like the consistent top 10 guys have access to something special that no one else does.

Distance measuring devices simply speed up play for amateurs and make a caddy's job easier for the tour guys. They have by no means radically changed the game or reduced the skill of the best golfers out there in any way. Knowing how far a target is and actually hitting it are two different things. Plenty of weekend hackers out there know how far the pin is yet rarely get it right.

I don't like to argue, I just have no issue responding to assertions that are no more than opinions supported by anecdotal evidence. I never once said technology hasn't changed the game, it just has not changed it to the degree that you make it seem, as if the tech has made it so easy that anyone can do it or that the players are some how less skilled than they were back then. Even with more information and advanced equipment, at the end of the day the golfer still needs to have the skill to get the ball in the hole with the fewest strokes possible. Perhaps the scoring ceiling has been lowered (which is clear with courses getting longer and longer, more penal rough, silly fast baked greens, etc). But at the end of the day everyone in the field has access to the same exact technology, so to win you still need to be the most skilled golfer out of a 152 guys for any given week. Its not like the consistent top 10 guys have access to something special that no one else does.

Distance measuring devices simply speed up play for amateurs and make a caddy's job easier for the tour guys. They have by no means radically changed the game or reduced the skill of the best golfers out there in any way. Knowing how far a target is and actually hitting it are two different things. Plenty of weekend hackers out there know how far the pin is yet rarely get it right.

why dont they let all the pros use anchored putters, use super milled deep groove wedges, rangefinders as they play?

by your logic, its all equal then right?

but the pga doesnt allow that, why do you think that is?

why dont they let all the pros use anchored putters, use super milled deep groove wedges, rangefinders as they play?

What do anchored putter rules and wedge grooves rules have to do with technology?

Piretti Savona 

What do anchored putter rules and wedge grooves rules have to do with technology?

thats not technology? i notice you left out rangefinders btw... ;)

why dont you answer why the pga doesnt allow all this tech if its all equal and level?

Pointing out that the PGA has some silly backwards rule does not make your point valid. The fact is they DO allow them to be used, just not during the actual round. The yardage books (made by the caddies using range finders ) are so detailed that they are likely within a yard or two of the measured distance at any given time. Perhaps they have not allowed it for the same reason they still force players to wear pants, to make older golfers feel warm and fuzzy about how it was back in the day. Watching a caddy or player saunter around counting paces is so much more entertaining than just standing there and zapping the pin.

With that being said, having players use them during a round is under eval and was tested at 3 events this year.

http://www.pgatour.com/news/2017/03/28/pga-tour-to-test-distance-measuring-devices-on-three-tours.html

It's good to have reverence for the past; quite another to want to live in it.

I just picked up my first laser rangefinder last week, having used a GPS phone app for hundreds of rounds. It's a convenience, and a lot of fun (esp. lasering pitches...). Strategizing on par 5s and doglegs was easier on the app. But I am gaining a much more accurate understanding of my iron distances.

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

They are also great if you are a relatively long hitter on a slow day so you can measure how far ppl are in the fairway as to not risk hitting them. 250 and 280 dont look a whole lot different to the naked eye. Also great reality checkers when you realize your bombed drives over a dog leg are not 300yrds but really 250 since you cut the corner.

thats not technology? i notice you left out rangefinders btw... ;)

why dont you answer why the pga doesnt allow all this tech if its all equal and level?

Buddy, what in the world are talking about? Bringing in anchored putter and groove rulings changes have nothing to do with "technological advances in range finders". Answering why the PGA doesn't allow them is completely unrelated. Plus it would contradict your topic about the players of old, anchored putters and grooves were allowed back then, now they aren't.

Piretti Savona 

They are also great if you are a relatively long hitter on a slow day so you can measure how far ppl are in the fairway as to not risk hitting them. 250 and 280 dont look a whole lot different to the naked eye. Also great reality checkers when you realize your bombed drives over a dog leg are not 300yrds but really 250 since you cut the corner.

well that sure takes the fun out of hitting people in front of you!! :)

rosco, buddy

of course its related and relevant. if it wasnt why would the pga not let players use all and any tech that is available to them?

grooves and anchored putters are results of technology, so are rangefinders and gps. pants however have been around a lot longer..... :)

the fact that the pga makes these things illegal defines the point that there is a limit to what they will and wont allow, which nobody seems to want to answer.

if it didnt matter, why not make anything that helps all players legal?

rosco, buddy

of course its related and relevant. if it wasnt why would the pga not let players use all and any tech that is available to them?

grooves and anchored putters are results of technology, so are rangefinders and gps. pants however have been around a lot longer..... :)

the fact that the pga makes these things illegal defines the point that there is a limit to what they will and wont allow, which nobody seems to want to answer.

It's a completely different topic entirely. This was never a golf technology debate, nor was it an anchored putter ban debate, nor was it a groove ruling debate.

Piretti Savona 

To clarify, the OP asked if a rangefinder is absolutely necessary. To which i replied with no, backed up with history proving time and again to shoot a low score doesnt require such intricate technology.

the more information a player has, the easier it is for them to play better, which takes some level of skill out of the game. depending on the technology, it can take a huge part of the skill out of the game too, which is where the tech of club making comes in.

im not saying give everyone a hickory club and lets see what happens. but there is a sacredness thats being lost these days in regards to technology, not just with golf, but in everyday life.

there was an eclipse today, 95% of the people were looking at it with their phones trying to get an image of it instead of looking the actual amazing thing in front of them.

if the usga is trying to keep some of the original spirit and skill in the game, im all for that.

OP-

"Serious question: I have a GPS (Garmin G6) and it works well. Touchscreen, color, distances to the cup, critical distance on each hole, etc. I can move the cursor around the screen and get distances to bunkers, water, back/front green. With all of these features, what advantage does a laser rangefinder have? I know that a lot of folks here use rangefinders and consider it a critical tool to improve their golf game by being able to accurately know distances."

me: serious answer- none of this shyt is "necessary".

I use a range finder on the range.

I use my GPS watch far more on the course. The distances to the front, middle and back at a glance give me a better idea of what I need to hit than distance to the flag.

Of course, I play 90% of my golf on my home course and know the greens, so I'm shooting to spots rather than flags usually.

That seems logical except those times you shoot with a rangefinder and the pin actually is a few steps before the front or beyond the back of the green. That is my issue with GPS. From 180 out it is probably accurate enough. With a wedge in my hand I hate the fact gps is occasionally 8 yards off.

For a given course, GPS is only as good as the person who mapped the course. Get someone lazy or inattentive and you could see some interesting results, and not in a good way.

One of my favorites is seeing two carts with GPS at the same course, giving different numbers, in spite of sitting side by side.

Then there are the instances I've encountered where a GPS unit was off by as much as 20 to 30 yards on a given hole.

Which is why I bought a laser.

what happened to playing with your eyes and your feel...

If he were still alive, I wonder what Sam Snead would say. He claimed to have lost a significant number of tournaments due to pulling incorrect clubs, trying to play with his eyes and his feel. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

rosco, buddy

Why wont you answer my question as to why the PGA allows the use of range finders during practice rounds if they were truly only illegal because of the technological advantage you think they provide? The truth is every single pro and their caddies use range finders before a tournament during practice/prep days (even with slope calcs). What is the difference between having an extremely detailed yardage book with multiple distances to landmarks vs simply doing the measurement on the spot?

rosco, buddy

Why wont you answer my question as to why the PGA allows the use of range finders during practice rounds if they were truly only illegal because of the technological advantage you think they provide? The truth is every single pro and their caddies use range finders before a tournament during practice/prep days (even with slope calcs). What is the difference between having an extremely detailed yardage book with multiple distances to landmarks vs simply doing the measurement on the spot?

you need to ask the usga that, bc it doesnt make any sense to allow it in practices but not in competition to me. theyre contradicting themselves with that ruling.

but maybe theres advantages that getting a reading during play can yield as opposed to having to do it beforehand. i cant answer that one, unless you know the reason?

either way i stand by my original point that nobody NEEDS this stuff to be a better golfer. it just make it easier and faster to get there.

im sure sam snead would have won more tournaments had he known exact laser pointed yardages as someone pointed out.

the question is, is that where the game should go? technology driven precision to the point of becoming robotic, calculated and formula?

the usga is giving into some of it which they need to to stay relevant and up to date. after all it is a business. but theyre also trying to maintain some level of integrity to the sport on which it was founded.

time will only tell where it all goes...