Cut Blue vs Vice Pro

thejuice

I played two new balls in a tourney Sunday. Very dumb to play golf balls you're not used to in a competitive round, but I took the chance anyway. Finished 2nd in my flight so I did well enough to place. I played the Cut Blue for the front 9 and the Vice Pro for the back. For comparison's sake, I've been playing the Srixon QST and the Vice Pro Soft in tourneys this year.

Distance: I felt like both were good on distance. I couldn't tell a difference in distance with either ball from the QST, although I think the Pro Soft is longer than all of them (for me). I did notice the Vice Pro to be longer when I hit it on the screws (which I don't always do) than the Cut Blue. I need more rounds to see how I really feel about distance.

Compared to a review I did earlier comparing the Vice Pro Plus to the Pro Soft, I would put the Pro right there with the Pro Soft for me. I think the Cut Blue was right there with the Pro Plus. Just something about me and 3-piece urethane balls that work better than 4-piece balls.

Feel: I know the Cut Blue is a 4-piece urethane ball compared to the 3-piece Vice Pro but I felt like the Cut Blue wasn't as firm as the Vice Pro Plus (which I also like) or the Pro V1x. I honestly liked the way it felt. I liked both off the putter (I use an EVNROLL). No huge differences in feel as the Vice Pro felt really nice and not as soft and marshmellowy as some other 3-piece urethane balls.

Durability: I can still play both balls for more holes to come. The Cut found a cart path during the front 9 and there was not one scratch on it. The Vice was not introduced to any trees or cart paths so I can't really say how well it would stand up to hard knocks, but it didn't scuff with full wedge shots (I use RTX 3.0 wedges).

Looks: I'm a guy that doesn't go for simple normally, but I do like the simple look of the Vice balls (I used the white ball for this round but I do like both the Lime and the Red balls too). The Cut seemed to appear larger (sort of the effect of a Truvis ball), which seemed to help with my ball striking. They both look nice and simple.

Overall: Six in one hand and a half dozen in the other for me. I like them both and think you can't go wrong with either. I think as golfers we have a really good problem in terms of the number of quality balls we have to choose from on the market. I haven't hit the Kirkland Signatures yet, but I heard they are great. Add in the Maxfli U series, Snell MTB, Cut, and Vice (I know I'm forgetting some other companies) and I can foresee Titleist either dropping the price of ProVs in the near future.

So for me and budget performance balls, I'd rank the ones I've played as

1. Vice Pro
  2. Vice Pro Soft
  3. Srixon QST (yes it's a budget ball because of it's performance and price)
  4. Vice Pro Plus / Cut Blue (tie)
  5. Maxfli U6x

I've yet to try the Snell or McG balls yet.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

Regarding the durability of the Cut Blue I've found that the cover tears really easily. And this is compared to chrome softs or B330RXS as those are the other two balls I play.

Tears how? On wedge shots, tree hits, cart path bounces? All of the above?

TaylorMade Spider Black

Regarding the durability of the Cut Blue I've found that the cover tears really easily. And this is compared to chrome softs or B330RXS as those are the other two balls I play.

Any ball could tear from hitting a tree or cart path. Trust me I know this haha. Lost of time spent in the woods. But what I've noticed is that wedges especially tear it up. The last round I played I had lost a ball (oops) and put a new ball in play. Two holes later I had a 50 yard pitch shot into the green so I took my 60 and hit my pitch. It one hopped and stopped. I marked it to clean it and it was very obvious where I had struck the ball

Any ball could tear from hitting a tree or cart path. Trust me I know this haha. Lost of time spent in the woods. But what I've noticed is that wedges especially tear it up. The last round I played I had lost a ball (oops) and put a new ball in play. Two holes later I had a 50 yard pitch shot into the green so I took my 60 and hit my pitch. It one hopped and stopped. I marked it to clean it and it was very obvious where I had struck the ball

Dang! That sucks! I didn't experience that with my pitch shots. I wonder if they might still be working through some QC issues with the ball.

TaylorMade Spider Black

Dang! That sucks! I didn't experience that with my pitch shots. I wonder if they might still be working through some QC issues with the ball.

That's what I was wondering too. I still really like the ball. It just sucks that, in my experience, the durability isn't too great.

That reminds me of the old days when I played the Precept extra spin. A clean hit with a wedge would leave it with huge shark gills and pieces of cover in the grooves. For a two piece surlyn they had plenty of bite, but after 9 holes they would be shredded.

I just picked up 3 dozen CUT Blues too give them a spin. I wasn't a fan of the Vice and its durability, Snell MTB was far better and overall good ball. I'm intrigued by these direct to consumer products. I would love to find a boutique ball and not look back. BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I just picked up 3 dozen CUT Blues too give them a spin. I wasn't a fan of the Vice and its durability, Snell MTB was far better and overall good ball. I'm intrigued by these direct to consumer products. I would love to find one of these that suits my game nicely I won't look back. BB
I played both and I wasn't a fan of the Vice either, Snell was just above them, but I love my Cut Blues! I'm a bargain shopper and I really like the Z-Stars but I don't want to pay that much for balls. Having pretty much the same compression, the Cut Blue plays very similar, if not a little better for me.

• 1 month later...

I just picked up 3 dozen CUT Blues too give them a spin. I wasn't a fan of the Vice and its durability, Snell MTB was far better and overall good ball. I'm intrigued by these direct to consumer products. I would love to find a boutique ball and not look back. BB

I found the Snell MTB to be the best "Boutique" ball, better than the Vice balls in performance and Durability. What was ur Opinion of the cut products? I haven't tried the Cut Balls yet.--TM

Tried the Snell for the first time yesterday and was really impressed. Only played 6 holes so I need more time with it.

Anyway, I have been looking for the vice pro soft in lime and haven't found any. I've never heard of cut, but I'll look for some of these too. Thanks for the info/review.

[color=#0000ff]Titleist TSR3 8*[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Callaway Epic SZ 15*[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Taylormade M3 Hybrids 17, 21[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Srixon ZX Utility 23[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Bridgestone 221CB 6-PW[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Miura 50, 54, 58C - KBS Tour[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Byron Morgan DH89[/color]

Vice fan here, wasn't a great experience with the cuts. Need to try smells soon. I just love that there are more options these days

9.5* GBB Epic w/ RT Technologies Zeus 75g
16.5* Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 w/ RT Technologies Zeus 85g
20* Itobori Hybrid w/ RT Technologies Midas 98g
Epon AF Tour CB w/ AMT DG X100 4-PW
MannKrafted Custom 51* & 56* w/ AMT DG X100
MannKrafted Yaupon
Vice Force Stand Bag
Vice Pro Plus

• 3 weeks later...

Vice fan here, wasn't a great experience with the cuts. Need to try smells soon. I just love that there are more options these days

I agree. I usually play a Taylormade TP5x or Vice Pro but tried both the Snell MTB and the Cut blue this week. The Snells were fantastic, better than the vice in my opinion (same distance at TP5x, soft feel off of putter, good spin off wedge, slightly softer feel than V1x off driver). I thought the Cut ball was way too firm off of the driver - my playing partner actually asked if I bought a new club because it "sounded like I was hitting a rock". Spun ok off of the irons/wedge, felt too firm off of the putter as well. I think the Vice Drive is actually a much better cheap ball for your money. And definitely give the Snell MTB a look - they are the best balls I've come across this year for the money (haven't played KSigs)

I played two new balls in a tourney Sunday. Very dumb to play golf balls you're not used to in a competitive round, but I took the chance anyway. Finished 2nd in my flight so I did well enough to place. I played the Cut Blue for the front 9 and the Vice Pro for the back. For comparison's sake, I've been playing the Srixon QST and the Vice Pro Soft in tourneys this year.

Distance: I felt like both were good on distance. I couldn't tell a difference in distance with either ball from the QST, although I think the Pro Soft is longer than all of them (for me). I did notice the Vice Pro to be longer when I hit it on the screws (which I don't always do) than the Cut Blue. I need more rounds to see how I really feel about distance.

Compared to a review I did earlier comparing the Vice Pro Plus to the Pro Soft, I would put the Pro right there with the Pro Soft for me. I think the Cut Blue was right there with the Pro Plus. Just something about me and 3-piece urethane balls that work better than 4-piece balls.

Feel: I know the Cut Blue is a 4-piece urethane ball compared to the 3-piece Vice Pro but I felt like the Cut Blue wasn't as firm as the Vice Pro Plus (which I also like) or the Pro V1x. I honestly liked the way it felt. I liked both off the putter (I use an EVNROLL). No huge differences in feel as the Vice Pro felt really nice and not as soft and marshmellowy as some other 3-piece urethane balls.

Durability: I can still play both balls for more holes to come. The Cut found a cart path during the front 9 and there was not one scratch on it. The Vice was not introduced to any trees or cart paths so I can't really say how well it would stand up to hard knocks, but it didn't scuff with full wedge shots (I use RTX 3.0 wedges).

Looks: I'm a guy that doesn't go for simple normally, but I do like the simple look of the Vice balls (I used the white ball for this round but I do like both the Lime and the Red balls too). The Cut seemed to appear larger (sort of the effect of a Truvis ball), which seemed to help with my ball striking. They both look nice and simple.

Overall: Six in one hand and a half dozen in the other for me. I like them both and think you can't go wrong with either. I think as golfers we have a really good problem in terms of the number of quality balls we have to choose from on the market. I haven't hit the Kirkland Signatures yet, but I heard they are great. Add in the Maxfli U series, Snell MTB, Cut, and Vice (I know I'm forgetting some other companies) and I can foresee Titleist either dropping the price of ProVs in the near future.

So for me and budget performance balls, I'd rank the ones I've played as

1. Vice Pro
  2. Vice Pro Soft
  3. Srixon QST (yes it's a budget ball because of it's performance and price)
  4. Vice Pro Plus / Cut Blue (tie)
  5. Maxfli U6x

I've yet to try the Snell or McG balls yet.

I agree that we have excellent options at half the price of Titleist ProVs. I don't see any way they can hold their pricing where it is today and not suffer severe market share declines over time. As the word spreads, as it certainly will with social media, more and more golfers will hear about and try these new ball offerings and quickly conclude in many cases that it is idiotic to spend almost $4.00/ball when equal or almost equal quality balls can be purchased for half or more than half the price of Titleist ProVs or Callaways,or Taylormade etc.

By the way I love the Vice and Kirkland Sig balls but you should give Snell a try. They are excellent as well.

• 2 months later...

i tried cut blue and like them better than the vice balls. i think they are longer off tee and spin better on greenside shots than both original snell ball and vices. ive heard some people complaining about Cut durability. in my experience it is better than the Vice in durability... as Vice balls i bought were discolored/beat up after a round or two. I do want to try new Snell ball 4 piece , but its 28/31 a dozen versus $20 for cut 4 piece....it'd have to be(new Snell) on par w pro vx for me to spend 10-12 more per dozen than Cut Blue.

• 5 months later...

Tried the Snell for the first time yesterday and was really impressed. Only played 6 holes so I need more time with it.

Anyway, I have been looking for the vice pro soft in lime and haven't found any. I've never heard of cut, but I'll look for some of these too. Thanks for the info/review.

There is always some on ebay, around $40 shipped

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Off topic, Isn't switching balls during a tournament round against the rules? Dont you have to continue playing the same type of ball you started with?

Only if your local club states it as a rule. Normally it is only required to play the same ball on each hole. PGA may have a rule just for them that requires the same ball, however since most play prototypes, not sure it really matters anyway.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

• 11 months later...

Old thread but I wanted to chime in. Played a Cut Blue today that I had found. Simply for the ‘wth is this’ moment. Was totally impressed with the ball. First off the tee it felt mushy compared to my Srixon ZStar but it performed very well for the nine or so holes I played it.

Second, it is against the rules of golf to play a different brand or type of ball within a brand that is not the same as you teed off with in a stipulated round. This also strangely enough includes color. You can not change the color of your ball even if it is the same brand and make as the ball you started with.

> @"Double Dodger" said:

> Second, it is against the rules of golf to play a different brand or type of ball within a brand that is not the same as you teed off with in a stipulated round. This also strangely enough includes color. You can not change the color of your ball even if it is the same brand and make as the ball you started with.

No, actually it's not against the rules. It's a common misconception because there is a condition of competition that the pros frequently use that has such a restriction. But that is generally only used for some of the highest level competitions at the amateur level. It is not in place and doesn't apply to 99.9% of amateur play. For most play, any time the rules allow you to substitute a ball w/o penalty, you are free to change type model, color, etc... - as long as the ball itself is conforming - that's all that matters.

• Like 1

> @Stuart_G said:

> > @"Double Dodger" said:

> > Second, it is against the rules of golf to play a different brand or type of ball within a brand that is not the same as you teed off with in a stipulated round. This also strangely enough includes color. You can not change the color of your ball even if it is the same brand and make as the ball you started with.

>

> No, actually it's not against the rules. It's a common misconception because there is a condition of competition that the pros frequently use that has such a restriction. But that is generally only used for some of the highest level competitions at the amateur level. It is not in place and doesn't apply to 99.9% of amateur play. For most play, any time the rules allow you to substitute a ball w/o penalty, you are free to change type model, color, etc... - as long as the ball itself is conforming - that's all that matters.

Just like Stuart said, it is not against the rules. Go back and check them. I think guys listen to what others say instead of researching for themselves.

TaylorMade Spider Black