2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Nippon Modus 120X vs. 125 S - your experience

wis99ski

Guys, I am trying to find some comparison data and experiences, but I am having trouble finding Modus 120X vs 125S info. I know there is the monster 66 page thread here: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1102365-it-just-me-or-are-a-lot-of-pros-switching-to-nippon-iron-shafts/

but didn't get through it all to find anything on the two comparisons.

I usually fight getting too quick with my 120 stiffs at 114g and probably prefer the profile of the 120 over the 125 but if the weight of a 125 stiff keeps me smoother and more consistent I would probably give up the softer 120 profile feel. I just went to an 86g X Kuro Kage in my driver and gained distance due to more center contact accuracy. I prefer a heavier shaft but wouldn't want to plug in a 125 and hate it. I probably would not buy one shaft of each profile to try before as this isnt a gamer set yet..

Can anyone point me in the right direction with their thoughts on the 120X vs. 125S? Thx.

I have no idea why the 125 isn't more popular. I personally didn't care for anything about the 120x except the unusually nice impact feel Modus is known for.

I pulled them after one range session.

I loved the feel, release sensation, mid flight and weight of the 125 x's I tried, but unfortunately spun them too much to play them. Not crazy too much, but just a bit more than I'd like. I really, really, wanted to like them because of the flight and the feel. Just weren't for me.

The only shafts I've EVER found that don't spin too much for me and suit my swingspeed are Tour V's in 120x, and ctapers in 125 s+.

Unfortunately I'm extremely steep and I dig trenches with my irons that small children could hide in. After 35 years I've accepted that it ain't going to change.

If you want a set of 125 x let me know. You could soft step them if you think they need it. They really aren't terribly stiff. I only actually shafted the 6,8,9 to try them. The rest of the 3-pw set is uncut and unused.

Send me a PM if interested.

• Haha 1

I have no idea why the 125 isn't more popular. I personally didn't care for anything about the 120x except the unusually nice impact feel Modus is known for.

I pulled them after one range session.

I loved the feel, release sensation, mid flight and weight of the 125 x's I tried, but unfortunately spun them too much to play them. Not crazy too much, but just a bit more than I'd like. I really, really, wanted to like them because of the flight and the feel. Just weren't for me.

The only shafts I've EVER found that don't spin too much for me and suit my swingspeed are Tour V's in 120x, and ctapers in 125 s+.

Unfortunately I'm extremely steep and I dig trenches with my irons that small children could hide in. After 35 years I've accepted that it ain't going to change.

If you want a set of 125 x let me know. You could soft step them if you think they need it. They really aren't terribly stiff. I only actually shafted the 6,8,9 to try them. The rest of the 3-pw set is uncut and unused.

Send me a PM if interested.

Im gaming the 120 Stiffs now and I doubt I would successfully be able to make the jump to the 125X's although I prefer a heavier shaft now, probably for the sole purpose of staying smooth. I went from a 68g driver to 86g X at D5 and Im probably not looking back. Although I do kind of see the best of both worlds with the 120 TX @ 126g now... Im not sure I understand the 1g difference between the 125 S and X? 120TX if it maintains the same profile like the other 120s I could see it being the best of both worlds having the weight I prefer and that signature 120 profile.

My understanding is that the 125 is a much different profile than the 120. The 120 is like a softer dynamic gold and the 125 is similar to a PX (or was it KBS?). There is a lot of info on this in the big Nippon thread.

Yes the 120 has a stiff tip and soft butt and the 125 softer in the tip. Ill need to do more research on the the 120TX as well. I don't have experience hitting anything heavier than a PX 6.0/120g in irons. The only reason I would go over 120g with say a TX or 125S is if the 120X feels lighter than the PX6.0

I can tell you one thing for sure. That chart means zip.

I had the modus 115 wedge shaft in a 50 degree ping glide gap wedge for about a day. That thing went straight to the moon and was a limp noodle.

It's flight was so absurdly high that I was actually laughing out loud at the range. Someone next to me literally complimented me on the incredible height and asked me how I hit it so high. I thanked him and said it really was not intentional.

My understanding is that the 125 is a much different profile than the 120. The 120 is like a softer dynamic gold and the 125 is similar to a PX (or was it KBS?). There is a lot of info on this in the big Nippon thread.

125 is more like DG.

I played the 120-X for a quite some time. I loved the feel and flight and hit a nice draw with them, but I had a difficult time hitting a fade when I needed to. I don't think they were a good fit for my release.

I switched to the 125-S (hard-stepped) a few weeks ago at the suggestion of another member here and they have been really good to me so far. I can hit the fade again and draws are still easy.

The feel of the 125-S vs. the 120-X from a stiffness perspective is very similar to me. The soft butt of the 120 makes it feel softer than it really is.

To me spin is relatively close between the two with the 125 spinning a tiny bit more, maybe. I'd have to hit some shots with both on a LM to really see for sure. Peak height is also similar for me.

• Thanks 1

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Yes the 120 has a stiff tip and soft butt and the 125 softer in the tip. Ill need to do more research on the the 120TX as well. I don't have experience hitting anything heavier than a PX 6.0/120g in irons. The only reason I would go over 120g with say a TX or 125S is if the 120X feels lighter than the PX6.0

It is the 130 that Project X users tend to move to. It is the 125 that DG users tend to move to. The 120 is a different animal.

125 is more like DG.

I played the 120-X for a quite some time. I loved the feel and flight and hit a nice draw with them, but I had a difficult time hitting a fade when I needed to. I don't think they were a good fit for my release.

I switched to the 125-S (hard-stepped) a few weeks ago at the suggestion of another member here and they have been really good to me so far. I can hit the fade again and draws are still easy.

The feel of the 125-S vs. the 120-X from a stiffness perspective is very similar to me. The soft butt of the 120 makes it feel softer than it really is.

To me spin is relatively close between the two with the 125 spinning a tiny bit more, maybe. I'd have to hit some shots with both on a LM to really see for sure. Peak height is also similar for me.

Good stuff. How does the extra ~6 grams of the 125S vs the 120X effect swing feel to you?

125 is more like DG.

Good stuff. How does the extra ~6 grams of the 125S vs the 120X effect swing feel to you?

Feels the same to me. 6 grams really isn't that much.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Yeah wis. I Agree with Rod.

I didn't want to say it myself, but when you are talking about 5 or 6 grams of overall shaft weight, you have to have almost superhuman sensitivity to weight differences to tell them apart.

They may flex differently, or load and unload differently, or have the balance point in slightly different spots...all of which will make shafts "feel" different, but when you start talking about actual weight differences VERY few people will sense 5 or 6 gram differences.

Now that said.....someone on this site will SURELY disagree with that statement and swear they can tell 3 gram weight differences in shafts blindfolded after only one swing. It is GolfWRX after all.

If you're trying to keep things smooth I would just go 120x, not the tx. The tx isn't super stout or anything, but its not weak by any means. If my goal were to keep things smooth I'd err on the side of softer. Unless weight is a huge factor, and I think we already established 6 grams isn't making or breaking the fitting.

I'm playing 125x and its a firm shaft... especially in the tip. Stiffest tipped iron shaft I've gamed. You get a lot of feedback thats for sure. I love everything about them though, the flight is medium-high but doesn't overspin. 120TX for me was a good performer... super stable, flies true with anything resembling a good swing, but feel wise it was a bit too tip heavy (butt soft). 125 is more of a hitters shaft, 120 swinger... to make a massive generality. I think 120X is the ticket for you, Henrik supposedly games it, can't be too whippy.

TSR3 10* | Hzrdus Black Gen4 60TX 

Titleist TS3 3w | Diamana DF 70TX

Ping i525 3 iron | DG 120 X100 

Callaway Apex MB '18 5-Pw; X Forged '18 4i | DG X100 

Vokey SM8 52F, SM9 56F, SM7 60L | DG S400

Evnroll ER2v Long Plumbers Neck

If you're trying to keep things smooth I would just go 120x, not the tx. The tx isn't super stout or anything, but its not weak by any means. If my goal were to keep things smooth I'd err on the side of softer. Unless weight is a huge factor, and I think we already established 6 grams isn't making or breaking the fitting.

I'm playing 125x and its a firm shaft... especially in the tip. Stiffest tipped iron shaft I've gamed. You get a lot of feedback thats for sure. I love everything about them though, the flight is medium-high but doesn't overspin. 120TX for me was a good performer... super stable, flies true with anything resembling a good swing, but feel wise it was a bit too tip heavy (butt soft). 125 is more of a hitters shaft, 120 swinger... to make a massive generality. I think 120X is the ticket for you, Henrik supposedly games it, can't be too whippy.

I think you are spot on. Appreciate your detailed reply. I will be plugging these into some MP-32s. Looking forward to this setup.

It is the 130 that Project X users tend to move to. It is the 125 that DG users tend to move to. The 120 is a different animal.

The the Project X have a soft tip like the 130? I've always thought the Project X had a stiff tip.

The the Project X have a soft tip like the 130? I've always thought the Project X had a stiff tip.

It's not that PX has a soft tip, it's that the overall feel of the 130 is closer to a PX feel than a DG feel, in spite of the compartive softer tip of the 130.

It's not a direct/perfect translation between the two.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

It's not that PX has a soft tip, it's that the overall feel of the 130 is closer to a PX feel than a DG feel, in spite of the compartive softer tip of the 130.

It's not a direct/perfect translation between the two.

Thanks. I am playing the PX now and elbow issues have returned. I like the ball flight and feel of the PX shaft, but I don't know if I should go 130 or 125.

The 130 is not really soft anywhere. The very last part of the tip is softer than some others, but you are talking about an area probably limited to creating feel differences only.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

• 4 months later...

Hi Wis99,

I see from your signature that you went with the 120X shafts. Can you provide us an update on your success, or regret? I'm looking at new irons now, I like my 125S (grew up playing s300 and they feel very similar), but the irons I'm looking at are an upcharge for 125 and 120s are not. In the 120 profile, I'm an X flex.

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

Hi Wis99,

I see from your signature that you went with the 120X shafts. Can you provide us an update on your success, or regret? I'm looking at new irons now, I like my 125S (grew up playing s300 and they feel very similar), but the irons I'm looking at are an upcharge for 125 and 120s are not. In the 120 profile, I'm an X flex.

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

The 125 vs 120 is a different bend profile and will more than likely feel different to you. I just switched flexes and I'm happy with the X. The club head feels just slightly lighter but its not an issue. You need to think about if you switch to the 120 and dont like the way they feel or play then you will need to pull the shafts and put in what works for you. I am not sure that is risk you should blindly take. You can always have one 120 X flex shaft fitted up to a head to test out to see if works for you before you order a whole set.

• 4 months later...

Bump.. for recent feedback!

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke

• 7 months later...

The 130 is not really soft anywhere. The very last part of the tip is softer than some others, but you are talking about an area probably limited to creating feel differences only.

Where does 125S and X compare? I play dgold, but was told to try 1150ghX. Did not like ctaper or modus 120 feel. Oban CT felt nice but lacked control. Really interested in modus 125 but like others said, it's usually a custom order.

Where does 125S and X compare? I play dgold, but was told to try 1150ghX. Did not like ctaper or modus 120 feel. Oban CT felt nice but lacked control. Really interested in modus 125 but like others said, it's usually a custom order.

The 125 was never entered into the shaft profile database, so I really couldnt tell you with any bit of accuracy...sorry.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

The 125 plays/flexes the same as the DGs. If youre an x100 player go X. If your s3 or s4 go stiff.

The 125 is just smoother feeling then the DG. I play both. I like both the x100 and 125x. The 125x has less of a discernable kick unlike in the x100 where you can feel the tip flex a bit (least for me) thats not to say the 125 feels boardy. Its actually quite smooth but with no specific piece of the shaft kicking more then the other.

• 5 months later...

> @jasonp87 said:

> The 125 plays/flexes the same as the DGs. If youre an x100 player go X. If your s3 or s4 go stiff.

>

>

>

> The 125 is just smoother feeling then the DG. I play both. I like both the x100 and 125x. The 125x has less of a discernable kick unlike in the x100 where you can feel the tip flex a bit (least for me) thats not to say the 125 feels boardy. Its actually quite smooth but with no specific piece of the shaft kicking more then the other.

One thing to note, the 125 is unlike all other Nippon shafts in that the tip section is constant on all flexes, making the X flex a much more even bend profile than the R (or to a lesser extent, the S). I play 125s and can feel the kick as much as an s200 (my wedge shafts)

Callaway Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 9.5* - Ventus TR Red 6x
Callaway Paradym 3w (@ 16*) - Ventus TR Red 7x
Callaway Paradym 7w (21*) - Ventus TR Red 8x
Srixon ZX7 (4-PW) - KBS Tour V 120x
Vokey SM8 Raw 52F,56D,60M - TI S400 
Odyssey 2-ball OG / Bettinardi DASS BBZero Flow / many more...

Lefty

> @golfinguru11 said:

> > @jasonp87 said:

> > The 125 plays/flexes the same as the DGs. If youre an x100 player go X. If your s3 or s4 go stiff.

> >

> >

> >

> > The 125 is just smoother feeling then the DG. I play both. I like both the x100 and 125x. The 125x has less of a discernable kick unlike in the x100 where you can feel the tip flex a bit (least for me) thats not to say the 125 feels boardy. Its actually quite smooth but with no specific piece of the shaft kicking more then the other.

>

> One thing to note, the 125 is unlike all other Nippon shafts in that the tip section is constant on all flexes, making the X flex a much more even bend profile than the R (or to a lesser extent, the S). I play 125s and can feel the kick as much as an s200 (my wedge shafts)

Ah IC. Ive obviously only hit the X flex not the stiff.

Can't help with the 125, but the 120X feels really good and I can't seem to get too quick with them--left being the bane of my golfing existence. (Coming out of DG X100's and then S300's HS1 for years and years).

Ping G400 Max, 9.5, Tour 65 S Cobra AMP Cell 3+ (13) Taylormade RBZ 3HL (17) Wishon 775HS 3Hyb (21) - Modus 120X Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (5-G) - Modus 120X Mizuno S18 - 56 & 60 - Modus 120X Odyssey Sabertooth www.YourGolfHeadcovers.com