2017 PROV1X vs. TP5X

flyhighandlong

After another round with the TP5X, I'm done with it. Plenty long, but I just hit the ball too high with it. Not a fan of chipping with it and any shots 70 yards and in. Just doesn't spin enough. Longest ball I've ever hit though. Most every ball out there goes the same off the driver, but the TP5X is at least 5 yards longer. The TP5 might be the ball for me, but I don't care to try. The 2017 ProV1 fits my game better.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried 2017 pro v 1 which is my normal ball but went back to 2015/2016 model due to it has more spin for me and feels softer.....

But the guy above is right, theyre all very good and i can still shoot par with any of em so it doesnt really matter......i suppose if your a tour player it does matter a bit but hey, its not too big a deal for recreational golfer.....

I do hear the 2017 pro v 1x spins more than pro v so may give em a go.....

Hit srixons, bstones, tp5, and theyre all very good.....tp5 being my least fav ( i was a huge penta and lethal fan)

Many players who started off loving TP5x have begun to shy away, do to all the reasons mentioned above.

Be sure to give 17 V a shot in addition to 17 X and 17 XV. 17 V is what replaced 15 X, for me.

My only complaint on the TP5x is that it clearly launches higher on 50 yard wedge than I'm used to. I do prefer to flight short wedge shots down and hit a one bounce and stop shot. The 5x just jumps up a few degrees higher which takes some adjusting to.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the practice green today with a sleeve of TP5x, TP5, Chrome Soft X, and Chrome Soft. Have been playing CSX most of the year, and Chrome Soft the last 2 years. Played round of the year last week with TP5, so thought I'd give TP5x a try given the feedback. Out of the 4, I could not get used to the TP5x exploding off the putter face. Distinctly different than other 3. Same story with gap wedge pitches. TP5X launched noticeably higher than other three on short green side shots, and with less spin. Have not gotten to hit full shots with TP5X yet, but not sure I can live with green side even if it dominates the long game. TP5 probably my favorite at this point, followed by CSX.

TaylorMade M5 / Callaway Mavrik 3W / Maltby KE4 FDI 19 / Callaway Mavrik Pro 3H / Maltby TS1 4-GW / Callaway MD2 56 / Odyssey Double Wide / Titleist Pro V1

Older,slow speed guy here..... started year loving TP5X.... noticed some of the above complaints: too high on pitches, not enough spin into and around the greens....long ball however....tried 15 v1x which felt clicky.....also shorter in all aspects to TP5X....bought 17 v1x and feels softer; not as soft as TP5X but similar in most ways .... distance and trajectory.... caveat....it spins much better into and around the greens.

Will add more this week.

The 2017 prov1x is a great ball. This year Titleist seems to be pushing the Prov1 but for me the x has picked up tee distance and green side spin.

I'm confused by the Titleist ball lineup this year. It seems like the prov1 and prov1x are switching roles. the prov1 is softer, but lower spinning compared to the x now on irons.... or so they say. But people still say the x has higher ball speeds. So I'm confused and just went with the TP5X instead, which is lower spin throughout the bag, but still spinny enough

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

I tried to like 2017 Pro V1X, but there was something about it that didn't work for me. Then tried TP5X but I had the same problems many have posted that it doesn't spin enough on mid irons and hold greens on full shots (driver swing speed 97-99 mph). Now am playng the TP5 and it seems to be the best ball for my game. I didn't try the 2017 Pro V1.

The 2017 prov1x is a great ball. This year Titleist seems to be pushing the Prov1 but for me the x has picked up tee distance and green side spin.

I'm confused by the Titleist ball lineup this year. It seems like the prov1 and prov1x are switching roles. the prov1 is softer, but lower spinning compared to the x now on irons.... or so they say. But people still say the x has higher ball speeds. So I'm confused and just went with the TP5X instead, which is lower spin throughout the bag, but still spinny enough

This year's ProV1x is nearly identical to the previous ProV1x. Literally no difference except for supposedly more accurately shaped dimples for "more consistency".

This year's ProV1 is supposed to offer better distance than the previous ProV1 but is still lower (Titleist call it "more penetrating") fight and softer feel than ProV1x, as it has always been.

And in 2017 the ProV1x still spins slightly more than ProV1 off clubs other than driver. Perhaps less spin difference than in years past but whatever difference remains is still ProV1x higher spin (except for driver).

I don't know where this silly Internet meme of the two models "reversing" or "switching places" originated. Titleist never said any such. They did say that "some players who have always played ProV1x have switched to the new ProV1" but they go on to say that's because they like the soft feel and/or lower trajectory of ProV1 and with the 2017 they feel they no longer are giving up distance.

This year's ProV1x is nearly identical to the previous ProV1x. Literally no difference except for supposedly more accurately shaped dimples for "more consistency".

This year's ProV1 is supposed to offer better distance than the previous ProV1 but is still lower (Titleist call it "more penetrating") fight and softer feel than ProV1x, as it has always been.

And in 2017 the ProV1x still spins slightly more than ProV1 off clubs other than driver. Perhaps less spin difference than in years past but whatever difference remains is still ProV1x higher spin (except for driver).

I don't know where this silly Internet meme of the two models "reversing" or "switching places" originated. Titleist never said any such. They did say that "some players who have always played ProV1x have switched to the new ProV1" but they go on to say that's because they like the soft feel and/or lower trajectory of ProV1 and with the 2017 they feel they no longer are giving up distance.

I think the confusion comes from the long history of the two models and the perception of the balls. The X was always higher launching, firmer, and lower spinning tee to green (but high spin around the green)... and the longest of the two. The V was lower trajectory, softer, higher spinning tee to green... and the shorter of the two. Choosing the V was a sacrifice of feel over distance.

This year the X is the higher spinning golf ball for all the irons, not just around the greens. It might still be the longer ball tee to green, but some people say no, but ball speeds are good with a multi-layer ball off a driver, but maybe not that different than the V now? The V is still softer and lower traj than the X, but now lower spinning for the irons, so the lower spin will help with distance... or not?

I find it confusing because ultimately I want the longest ball off the tee, but also a lower spinning golf ball with the irons, but plenty of spin around the greens, and a soft feel is a bonus. To me the TP5X was designed to do what I wanted performance wise. I think Titleist needs to better communicate what is going on with these two golf balls because I'm not the only one that felt the V made a major change this year based on reports and marketing.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

I play the 2017 prov1x normally but I have a couple sleeves of the tp5x. Spin feels to be about the same but I can't get over how firm the tp5x feels compared to the prov1x. To me, it feels/sounds like I've just hit a rock when I'm putting with the tp5x.

To each their own though. Just my 2 cents.

Q

Titleist 917D3 9.0, Tour AD GP 7x (shortened 1")
Titleist 917F3 15.0, Fujikura Tour Spec 80x (shortened 1")
Titleist 716 TMB 2-iron, DG s300 AMT or Titleist 818H2 21*, Tensei White 90x
Callaway X-Forged 2013 4-pw, PXi 6.0
Titleist SM4 52, 56, 60 with TI DG s400
Titleist Classic Newport 2 (oil can finish stripped and re-blued with 4 strips lead tape on sole)
Titleist prov1x
Ping Hoofer Bag (2016 version)

I play the 2017 prov1x normally but I have a couple sleeves of the tp5x. Spin feels to be about the same but I can't get over how firm the tp5x feels compared to the prov1x. To me, it feels/sounds like I've just hit a rock when I'm putting with the tp5x.

To each their own though. Just my 2 cents.

Q

I find the TP5x to be a softer feel than ProV1x off all clubs including putter.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

old guy here too. tried the pro v 1 and the tpx and liked them, thought what the heck tries tp1x and love it

Older,slow speed guy here..... started year loving TP5X.... noticed some of the above complaints: too high on pitches, not enough spin into and around the greens....long ball however....tried 15 v1x which felt clicky.....also shorter in all aspects to TP5X....bought 17 v1x and feels softer; not as soft as TP5X but similar in most ways .... distance and trajectory.... caveat....it spins much better into and around the greens.

Will add more this week.

I do not think the USGA would allow a ball that produces significantly higher ball speeds than a ProV1x...or B330 or Q-Star...

If there were a ball 5mph faster than ProV1x allowed under the Rules then nobody would play anything else.

John Rahm and Rory have both reported increase in ball speed and in some cases, with their irons in particular up to 3-4 mph increase in ball speed. I guess the USGA got it wrong again. Ball manufacturers are all working very hard to increase ball spead without breaking any rules and in this case TM appears to have produced a ball that is better and longer then any ball they have previously produced.

Well given all the marketing for the companies, I should be hitting it anout 450 (or average WRX distance). I know companies are working hard at all this given the limits they have to adhere to but no one is going to say the equipment they are being paid to play isn't better and they don't always show what the comparison is to clearly. I am not a Titleist fanboy but the last three majors were one by Pro V1x players.

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

This is all very subjective and will vary from player to player depending on a number of variables. The only conclusion I can reach from reading through this thread is that each golfer must do a little testing to see what ball performs best for them. I've used a handful of different balls and can't really reach any hard and fast conclusions other than certain balls "feel" better and seem to "perform" better than others.

There are probably a number of balls that I could play without any appreciable difference in the score I achieve in a round of golf; however, I've settled on the Snell MTB because it feels great off the driver and performs up to my expectations on the green. Oh, and unlike some of those mentioned here does not rely on tour professionals and millions of dollars in advertising to win over non-tour golfers.

I have traditionally used the Pro V1x and have stayed away from the v1 due to too much long game spin. I used the TPx and it seemed similar to the V1x, and this year I played around with the TP5x and it is flat out amazing off of the irons, but for me on partial shots and 70 yards and in it can be inconsistent. It also launches very very high for me.

The new V1x is launching higher for me than previous years, eveything else is similar.

The big surprise for me is this years ProV1. It flights lower for me, spins less, and is the longest ProV I can remember hitting. very consistent ball and the feel is a soft dense impact that I like a lot.

The really big surprise however comes from the Snell MTB. I just ordered a 6 pack after finding one and playing it side by side the '17 ProV1 and they are nearly identical in their performance in every category, including the way it felt coming off all clubs.

I really wanted to make the TP5x my ball, but in those in between situations it performed inconsistently for me, perhaps it's all the layers and their different densities, and the various impact speeds at which they compress etc.. I get quite a few jumper type balls with the TP5x that I don't get with the other balls.

I do not think the USGA would allow a ball that produces significantly higher ball speeds than a ProV1x...or B330 or Q-Star...

If there were a ball 5mph faster than ProV1x allowed under the Rules then nobody would play anything else.

John Rahm and Rory have both reported increase in ball speed and in some cases, with their irons in particular up to 3-4 mph increase in ball speed. I guess the USGA got it wrong again. Ball manufacturers are all working very hard to increase ball spead without breaking any rules and in this case TM appears to have produced a ball that is better and longer then any ball they have previously produced.

If there is in fact increased ball speed and distance, I would be surprised if there wasn't a decrease in greenside spin. To gain something you have to give up something somewhere else. There are plenty of distance balls longer than ProV1x, but you don't see tour players use them cause they are lacking in short game performance. Every golf ball is a compromise.

The TP5X had way too high a launch for me. I tried the regular TP5 and while it was very long and straight with a lower flight than the TP5X, it still is the worst spinning urethane ball I have hit around the greens. The type of greenside spin a non-urethane ball has. Just releases way too much on every shot inside 70 yards.

Ping Vault Arna

I've played the ProV1x for 10 years, and switched to the TP5x after testing. I found it's a better performing golf ball tee to green, and equally good around the greens. If you want to lower spin, get the TP5x. You will gain some yardage, and hit straighter shots, because of the spin reduction. It's that simple.

Add me to this. Rather than my ProV1x ripping back on receptive greens and ballooning in the wind, the TP5x has been a godsend.

I agree 1000%! I had the same experience switching from 2015 Pro V1x to TP5X.... especially important in winter/wet rounds.

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

Played the TP5X yesterday for fun so here's my take (which echoes a lot that's already been said):

Overall feel wasn't significantly different than the ProV1x.

Ball flight/launch with higher lofted clubs was significantly higher. For me it was surprising at first how high this ball got off the medium to short irons. It seemed like they went higher than any other ball I've ever hit. Distances were still very close to the same as ProV1x.

I noticed that off the driver the ball flight was really low. Maybe one of the lowest I've ever hit. I was weird compared to how high it launched off the irons. Plenty of distance with one of my longest drives in a while on the 18th hole. Long irons also didn't seem to get as high, but they still had the distance.

Overall spin was fine. No problems holding a green and being within a foot or two of my divot. But a ProV1x would have been closer and rarely ends up beyond my divot which this one did.

Spin on 40 yards and in was where I saw the biggest difference. It's not horrible, compared to my normal B330, but it wasn't as good as the ProV1x. Hit a couple of wedge shots that felt sweet but then had way less check than I anticipated.

To me, it putted well. Slightly less "clicky" than the ProV1x.

Overall I liked the ball. It just won't replace the B330/ProV1xs in my bag.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

Played the TP5X yesterday for fun so here's my take (which echoes a lot that's already been said):

Ball flight/launch with higher lofted clubs was significantly higher. For me it was surprising at first how high this ball got off the medium to short irons. It seemed like they went higher than any other ball I've ever hit. Distances were still very close to the same as ProV1x.

I noticed that off the driver the ball flight was really low. Maybe one of the lowest I've ever hit. I was weird compared to how high it launched off the irons. Plenty of distance with one of my longest drives in a while on the 18th hole. Long irons also didn't seem to get as high, but they still had the distance.

Overall spin was fine. No problems holding a green and being within a foot or two of my divot. But a ProV1x would have been closer and rarely ends up beyond my divot which this one did.

Spin on 40 yards and in was where I saw the biggest difference. It's not horrible, compared to my normal B330, but it wasn't as good as the ProV1x. Hit a couple of wedge shots that felt sweet but then had way less check than I anticipated.

Nicely reported, thanks.

Just for context...does anything check quicker on a 40 yard wedge shot than the current ProV1x?

Coming from 2014/2015 B330 I thought that ball was extremely predictable and controllable from close in range. But the ProV1x just sits down immediately every time, pretty amazing. Makes it look like I can hit spinning shots (which I normally can not).

Can anybody give a brief comparison between the 2015 ProV1x vs the 2017 ProV1x? Bought 9 dozen 2015s and am about to run out. Need to make a choice. Thanks.

2017 better in the wind. A little longer too.

Ping Vault Arna

Nicely reported, thanks.

Just for context...does anything check quicker on a 40 yard wedge shot than the current ProV1x?

Coming from 2014/2015 B330 I thought that ball was extremely predictable and controllable from close in range. But the ProV1x just sits down immediately every time, pretty amazing. Makes it look like I can hit spinning shots (which I normally can not).

Chrome Soft and Wilson Staff FG Tour spin a ton near the green. The Wilson Staff with its low compression checks just as well as the ProV1X, but it's the shortest urethane ball I've ever hit.

Ping Vault Arna

Can anybody give a brief comparison between the 2015 ProV1x vs the 2017 ProV1x? Bought 9 dozen 2015s and am about to run out. Need to make a choice. Thanks.

For me, 2017 V is a better comparison to 2015 X.

Again for me, 2017 X launched higher than I like and spun too much with short irons and wedges.

Also, I prefer the green side spin of 2017 V... more than 2017 X and 2015 V.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12