2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Who plays a 64 degree wedge?

stryper

I just picked up one to try out again, haven't had anything higher than 58* in about 6 years. Course I joined this year isn't that long in 6500ish yards, so can likely drop my 5/6 iron for a wedge as I doubt I will be using either iron very often. 4i I use off the tee, so will stick around.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just picked up one to try out again, haven't had anything higher than 58* in about 6 years. Course I joined this year isn't that long in 6500ish yards, so can likely drop my 5/6 iron for a wedge as I doubt I will be using either iron very often. 4i I use off the tee, so will stick around.

Did you ever use it for full shots or was it just around the green shots? i'm wanting to make a decision when i get it the efficiency of hitting full shots with it.

Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 9
Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 14.5
Callaway Apex MB 2-PW
Titleist SM7 52, SM5 58
Taylormade Spider Tour

Did you ever use it for full shots or was it just around the green shots? i'm wanting to make a decision when i get it the efficiency of hitting full shots with it.

When I first had it, it was for short sided shots around the green, full shots to me seem silly as hell unless its the most tucked pin with super fast greens to try and stop the ball fast.

This one I haven't hit yet as we're just now getting a stretch of good weather, and I just picked it up yesterday, but will be a 40 yard and in club and I very much doubt anything further out.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

When I first had it, it was for short sided shots around the green, full shots to me seem silly as hell unless its the most tucked pin with super fast greens to try and stop the ball fast.

This one I haven't hit yet as we're just now getting a stretch of good weather, and I just picked it up yesterday, but will be a 40 yard and in club and I very much doubt anything further out.

I think 50 is a max number I'm looking at, I think it'll be a pretty good little experiment. Just take some time with practice.

Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 9
Callaway Apex MB 2-PW
Titleist SM7 52, SM5 58
Taylormade Spider Tour

I had a callaway xforged 64 for a few years but unless you really practice with it on the course or at a practice area its just a waste. I was playing a 52,58,64 switched to a 52,56,60 and do not miss it at all.

That is going to theoretically be my setup. I think mainly just going to practice with it, may take a few weeks to a month to actually make the bag. Fun experiment if nothing else.

Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 9
Callaway Apex MB 2-PW
Titleist SM7 52, SM5 58
Taylormade Spider Tour

• 3 weeks later...

Bought a 64 mack daddy this winter and took it out today for first time on the course and it was money$$$.

Flop shots were very easy around the green and didnt need to open the face compared to my 60 for really elevated flops over high side hills around the green.

This made aligment realy easy as the whole clubface was essentially the "bounce"

People who cannot open the face of a 58 and take it away too much on the inside. Those guys.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

I USED to have a miura 64k. it gave me more problems than any other club.

i had too much self doubt when using it so i dropped it all together. i have more success

with a 60** which is plenty of loft provided you know how to use it properly.

Epon EF-02D Diamana x17 6s

Epon AF-256 #3 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-256 #5 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-906 23 Tensei Ck pw hb90

Epon AF-506 #5-aw Tensei AM2Ws

Epon Tour wedge M56 DG spinner

Tad Moore handmade blade 

One of my most favorite clubs ever is my Vokey SM2 64. It can do almost everything inside of 60 yards.

Everyone needs a 58 or a 60 no matter how much they might proclaim otherwise. Hardly zero pros at any level don't carry one of those clubs. All of the top ten wedge players on the PGA Tour carry them. 1/2 carry a 60 and 1/2 carry a 58. Those with the 60's use 4 wedges and those with the 58's use 3 wedges.

Some are starting to carry a 62 instead of a 58 or a 60 and a few often add a 64 to the 58/60 for short sided domed super fast greens or maybe really deep bunkers. A few like Phil just love those 64's. Augusta cries out for a 64.

But, the 60 takes patience and practice and a rock steady body and head until you get really good with it. Double that for the 64. You have to use it often and be relaxed and steady.

Folks that say they can do everything with a 56 that they can do with a 60 are just flat out unwilling to learn to hit one. Otherwise, they know something the pros don't know and really need to write a book or become the next Dave Pelz. The same goes for a 64. Phil would likely carry two drivers all the time if someone could show him how to get the 60 & 64 out of his bag. Actually, I think a lot more pros and really good players would carry a 64 if it wasn't for the 14 club limit. There are just short sided situations and deep bunkers where a well struck 64 makes a tricky or difficult shot much easier. But, it takes quite awhile to learn how not to get bit by a 64.

I'm going to probably get the new Vokey WW 64 or a Miura 64 because my SM2 64 is just too old and I can't really use it in a tournament. For me there are three clubs that can rotate in & out depending on the course and my current skill level. The 4 iron, the 7W, and the 64W are the clubs that are situationally rotatable.

And yes, the 64 ate my lunch for the first 6-9 months I had it. Then it just become an amazing tool that was actually quite easy to rely on. But, yes, any high lofted low bounce wedge will sometimes bite its owner in a moment of carelessness. Just ask Jordan about his 60 L wedge. But then everyone also gets bit by their drivers and long irons occasionally. It's just gonna happen.

Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 3,5,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon ZX4-4, ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, 56 V,  & 60 V

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

Did you ever use it for full shots or was it just around the green shots? I'm wanting to make a decision when i get it the efficiency of hitting full shots with it.

I was always a pretty long hitter so often had those weird 75 or 65 or 55 yard shots. A full shot goes 76 yards with the 64, a full shot choked up to the bottom of grip goes 65, and gripping down and taking a little off goes 55. solved all those problems. Only problem is if you ever hit it thin, you go from a birdie possibility to bogie pretty quick...

stealth 2 plus, 10.5 Titleist 6x tr blue

Cobra 4 iron 
G425 5 and 7 woods red ventus 90x

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

PXG 0311xp 5-gw, 0211 G,SW,LW  Wilson ci11 w/ ctaper 130x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

(Just had a shoulder replaced and I am buying clubs for my fantasy bag).

• 1 year later...

I was just re-reading this thread as I love a 64* Wedge.

One of the explanations I heard over and over was "if I am playing on a short course" I'll throw one in.

IMO.. this is completely back wards

Wouldn't you hit more greens on a short course and miss more greens on a long course?

The 64* is for when you miss greens.

Just don't understand that logic

Driver - TaylorMade M2 2017 - 9.5°
Fairway - TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood - 14.5°
Hybrid - TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood - 19°
Irons - PING i15 - 4 - PW / UW
Wedges - Taylormade MG2 54° / Hi Toe 58°
Putter - Cameron Newport 2 custom

One of the explanations I heard over and over was "if I am playing on a short course" I'll throw one in.

Wouldn't you hit more greens on a short course and miss more greens on a long course?

They're talking about driving it too close to a Par 4 green to hit a full 60-degree wedge for their approach.

One usage of a 64 is to avoid hitting a less than full 60-degree, in other words.

Hard for me to imagine but that's that!

My guess is those are people who don't carry the 64 often. It is easier to drop a club if you won't need as many at the top end of your bag. If your comfortable with the 64 I'm not sure why length of course matters at all, wouldn't it already have a spot in the bag?

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

They're talking about driving it too close to a Par 4 green to hit a full 60-degree wedge for their approach.

One usage of a 64 is to avoid hitting a less than full 60-degree, in other words.

Hard for me to imagine but that's that!

Well I can kinda buy that but imo hitting a full 64* is playing with Fire.

Mine is used around the green only and after you practice with it and dial it in. It is a straight up weapon

Driver - TaylorMade M2 2017 - 9.5°
Fairway - TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood - 14.5°
Hybrid - TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood - 19°
Irons - PING i15 - 4 - PW / UW
Wedges - Taylormade MG2 54° / Hi Toe 58°
Putter - Cameron Newport 2 custom

I love the 64...the issue is I then use it too much and it gets me in trouble. I just can't have it in the bag I don't have the self control.

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Titleist T200 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat Newport

I love the 64...the issue is I then use it too much and it gets me in trouble. I just can't have it in the bag I don't have the self control.

So what's up with that 64 T you've got? I could find a home for that.... or let me know where you found that.

I got that direct from Vokey some time ago. It was a limited release. It was sitting in my basement unused for some time and finally decided to extend it a half inch and take it out. I guess PM me if you want to try and take it from me. Used one round.

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Titleist T200 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat Newport

My set up is 45 PW, 51 GW, 57 SW, 64 LW.

I mention this as I discovered a few things in my game

1. I chip mostly with my 57 (and I am a lot better with it than a 60 as a go to club for around the green)

2. the 64 for me is money for flops from the rough and almost ALL bunker shots. The faster you swing the more spin you get and my course has severely deep traps

3. I use a 64 a lot more than I would an extra long iron or hybrid

4. I stopped using the 64 for full shots from 80 yards. I've learned to love half and 3/4 shots with the 57.

5. I only use it inside 40 yards for pitches and try to limit it to forced carry shots

6. My 51 and 57 tvd's are CC .. so I like have a 64* vokey with aggressive grooves

7. I hit a lot of wedges into par 4's and short greenside shots around par 5's where I almost always go for it in two

I really like where your head is at here. I have a 45* PW and a 58* PM. Might do some bending and add another PM. Also have a 51* RAC ready to go.

This is a very interesting set up, especially alternating between 57 and 64 in the short game.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S