Judge440 WITB

Very interested to hear your thoughts on the G400 driver/fwy. Will you be shafting them with the Chromes or stick with stock?

I am loving the G400 LST driver and fairway. I will probably get a hybrid too since I like these so much.

I am currently using the stock Pro 65/75 in these woods. I will probably try to figure out what UST profile these are and try to acquire something close in their lineup, or go with Atmos Blue or Elements Chrome. I called Ping and asked what they could tell me about the stock Pro shafts and they didn't have anything for me.

I have an email into UST.

So using the G400 LST 8.5 with stock 65 stiff against Epic SZ @ 9.5 with stock HZRDUS 6.0 (I know it's not apples to apples) I found the G400 to be noticeably longer and my misses are not as bad. I like to draw the ball so I aim down the right side and my miss is when I block the ball and it just stays on that line and leaks right instead of drawing back. When I miss with Epic SZ my ball will leak right a bit...not bad but a little. With the G400 LST my ball will stay dead straight on my start line and most times even fall back to the left a bit. It will not leak right on me. That alone seals the deal for me. I just feel like I get more center hits with the 400 LST and it was longer for me every time.

The 3 wood has been a delight. One round in with that but just seems really easy. My favorite fairway has been a tour issue 2016 m1 with Atmos Blue 6S. I have that same confidence with the G400 at this point. I pulled 3 wood four times yesterday and they all came out exactly as I saw the shots in my head before putting the swing on it.

I could easily play the Epic woods. They sound and perform phenomenally. Ping 400 line is just really jiving with me and I'm not a huge fan of Callaway so it's easy to move on.

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Titleist T200 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat Newport

Very interesting sir.

From what I have always understood, the UST Elements Chrome was the same profile as the Ping Tour shaft. May be wrong, but I know I have read that somewhere. What shaft is in the Ping G400's now, is it the Tour shaft or just the stock Alta CB?

I may have to give the G400 another go. I have something special planned for a build.

Very interesting sir.

From what I have always understood, the UST Elements Chrome was the same profile as the Ping Tour shaft. May be wrong, but I know I have read that somewhere. What shaft is in the Ping G400's now, is it the Tour shaft or just the stock Alta CB?

I may have to give the G400 another go. I have something special planned for a build.

Tour 65/75 in these for now.

Yeah I feel like I've read that somewhere too about the Elements Chrome but I would like to get something confirmed instead of speculation.

New Dad here as of 8/29/17 to a little lady. Amazing.

aef6e1de04d96321e4fe9e521df279a7.jpg

dd2c9d8c4bd0d2166ce11bd34c3f39b3.jpg

• Like 1

Congrats! My wife just had our daughter Natalie coming up on 1 month now! Good luck getting out with a newborn in the house haha. I've been carpet putting like a champ this past month :golfer:

Ping G430 Max 10° VA composites Nemesys | Ping G425 LST 15°| Ping G430 Max 7w 21°
Mizuno Pro 225/223 combo 4-PW Aerotech Steelfiber i95 s
Vokey SM7 52ºF / Vokey SM9 58ºT 
TM Spider X copper/ BGT Stability Tour shaft 

That's awesome, congrats!

Thanks!

Congrats! My wife just had our daughter Natalie coming up on 1 month now! Good luck getting out with a newborn in the house haha. I've been carpet putting like a champ this past month :golfer:

Thanks man! That gave me a laugh...carpet putting like a champ. Good stuff!

Congrats! Great forum you've got going!

WITB 8/5/20
Driver: Taylormade SIM W/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 7X
3 Wood: Taylormade M2 TOUR W/ Graphite Design Tour AD BB 7X
3 Iron: PXG 0311X GEN 2 W/ KBS TOUR HYBRID PROTOTYPE 95X
4 iron: Mizuno MP-20 HMB W/ Project X LZ 6.5
5-PW:  Mizuno MP-20 MMC W/ Project X LZ 6.5

50,54,60: Titleist Vokey SM8 RAW W/ Onix Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 34"
Grips: Standard Golf Pride ZGrip Cord (Logo Down) +1 Wrap
Ball: Taylormade TP5x 
Bag: 2018 Navy/ Grey Ping Hoofer Lite 

Very cool! Congratulations on your new addition. (I am referring to daughter, not the G400!) :) Is that a 'tour issue' hospital wrist band?

LMAO dude. Wrist band is a one off custom!

Congratulations! I am a Dad to 3 girls, great fun! You'll soon become an expert in time management and a slave to the oracle, aka the family calendar ��

Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congrats on being a father. I'm curious on your driver review with the Tensei Orange V3 with LST (would you have just played the Pro White if the head in LST wasn't so heavy)?

2024 WITB: 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 (@ 9.5) Diamana ZF 60S

TM MINI DRIVER??

Callaway Apex UW 19 deg MMT 70 Stiff

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour Rescue #4 AV Limited Blue 75 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, ??

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

Congrats on being a father. I'm curious on your driver review with the Tensei Orange V3 with LST (would you have just played the Pro White if the head in LST wasn't so heavy)?

Thanks!

First off I'm loving the G400 LST. Best head I've used at this point. Literally no complaints. Long and straight. Extremely forgiving.

I have one round in with the Tensei Orange. Carded a nice round but driver swing was off on some holes. The course was wet and playing long and slow and I was as long and longer than I've ever been on some holes where I put a good swing on it. It's likely a keeper. Feel is great.

If I wasn't going counterbalanced I'd go Tensei Blue. I have the Blue in my G400 3W and it's superb.

Nothing has been able to knock out the PXG 0311T's/LZ 6.0. I have some i200's coming to test to see if I can gain anything but I'm skeptical. Maybe look at 718CB next spring.

O-Works 2Ball has been insane. It's almost comical seeing all the putts go in. I keep trying to replace it with something sexier as it's kind of an ugly chick...but it's probably foolish on my part. Maybe I have to look at some double bend setups like Ping Oslo or Toulon Memphis.

Can you compare the tensei orange to the white? I bag the tensei pro white 70 in a 4 wood and its crazy awesome. Trying to duplicate results in driver and this driver is on my list? Why CB on this head?

BTW, love the hybrid your bag. One of the best hybrids ever. Wish I still had mine.

2024 WITB: 

TM MINI DRIVER??

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, ??

Can you compare the tensei orange to the white? I bag the tensei pro white 70 in a 4 wood and its crazy awesome. Trying to duplicate results in driver and this driver is on my list? Why CB on this head?

BTW, love the hybrid your bag. One of the best hybrids ever. Wish I still had mine.

I have not hit Tensei White so I can't compare.

If you love the White in your 4 wood then maybe you should roll with it? I don't know. The Orange should provide the same low spin/launch as the White, but with counterbalance. So maybe go on what you like to feel from a swing weight perspective? The White should feel a little heavier.

Went counterbalanced because I got excellent results with the stock Pro 65 which is slightly counterbalanced and wanted to stay in that profile somewhat. Also the G400 head is slightly heavier.

Yeah that G25 hybrid is money. I have a G400 hybrid and it hasn't left my basement.

Judge, how long do you play the tensei orange in the LST?

Did you order a heavier swing weight because you knew the CB shaft would lighten it?

2024 WITB: 

TM MINI DRIVER??

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, ??

Did you order a heavier swing weight because you knew the CB shaft would lighten it?

Length 45.5"

It's a stock head with aftermarket shaft. Did not order heavy head or anything.

• 1 month later...

Some notes to wrap up the year here...

I really enjoyed the Ping G400 woods. You'll be hard pressed to find anything better...equal yes...better no. The LST with Tensei Orange was a beast but the 8.5* is probably a little low lofted for me. Excellent head and combo though. The fairway with Tensei Blue was excellent as well. May have been a touch high on spin but very straight and playable.

Since the Ping woods were just a little off for me, instead of continuing to try and experiment and tweak I am just going to go back to TM woods. They will be close enough in performance. I already have a tour issue 2016 M1 fairway which I love and ordered a tour issue 2017 M1 driver. I'll go Atmos blue in these with Tensei Orange and Blue on standby.

At the end of our season here I played some rounds with i200 w/ PX LZ 6.0 at my specs. Wanted to see if I could gain anything with something a little friendlier. These are excellent clubs and the results were great, but not enough for me to give up the feel and what I like to look down at. Great clubs though and the long irons were a pleasure.

Irons...PXG 0311T still #1 for me. I have some MP18 blades with 6.0 LZ that will get the start in the spring.

For grips I ended the year with MCC Plus4 with Align and really enjoyed these. They felt really nice and I feel like they gave me a better chance of being more consistent with hand placement. I am taking a hard look at the new Lamkin players cord grips. Will be looking out for feedback on those.

For reference and if people need feedback on anything I gamed this stuff in 2017...there were other things here and there but not enough extensive use to list...

716 AP2 w/ x100, PX 6.0, Modus130 S

765 w/ Modus120 X

0311T w/ PX LZ 6.0

i200 w/ PX LZ 6.0

2016 M2 w/ AD-GP 6x, AD-TP 6x

PXG 0811LX w/ Atmos Blue 6S

Epic SZ w/ Elements Chrome 6S

G400 LS w/ Tensei Orange 6S

• 4 months later...

So have one round in so far here in Cleveland. Some thoughts on what I'm starting with after one round...

- 917D3 w/ Tensei Orange stiff - Drove it really straight. Was pleasantly surprised for first time out. Probably too much spin. I'm going to try an Atmos Black to try and curb some of that spin. Tensei White on backorder or I would have went that route.

- 917F2 w/ Tensei Blue stiff - Hit it pretty solid but also felt like maybe too much spin here. Going to an Atmos Black for this as well to see if that tightens it up a bit.

- 718 TMB/CB/MB combo - Superb. Missed a lot of greens left though. Really hitting these high. Could have been due to really damp fairways and digging so much. Contemplating a move to LZ 6.5 but will hold off for now. Going to order some AP2 w/ LZ 6.0 and see how those stack up...should spin less. But, I love the look and feel of this combo set.

- I have some custom SM7's in hand but will still use my V grinds for a bit as I really like them.

- Giving the Lamkin Players Cord a go for grips. I'm a big fan of the non taper grips as I'm a right to left guy and I feel like that helps to keep things quiet.

I'll have to get some pics up as a lot of new gear is coming through the door :D

• 3 weeks later...

Updates...

Driver: Rolling with the 917D3 w/ Atmos Black 6S currently. Can't really ask for much more. In process of dialing in the SureFit setting. Have 9.5* at C1 right now. May take it back to square.

Going to test an Atmos Blue 6S as well.

Tensei Orange is out it looks like. For whatever reason just hit the other ones a little more consistent.

3W: 917F2 currently w/ Atmos Black 7S. Working out well. Will likely test Atmos Blue 7S as well.

Irons: 718 AP2 w/ PX LZ 6.0 currently. Love the friendliness. Not a huge fan of the bulk or less workability. We'll see. Will need more time with the combo set still...TMB/CB/MB.

Putter: Spider Tour Black. I have all these beautiful blades and this is what works lol. Whatever.

Back to GP Plus 4's for grips.

• 2 months later...

Updates...

917D2/AD-IZ firmly in the bag. It's just so consistent for me. I was dialed in on driver and figured I'd try M4/AD-IZ and aside from one round (the best driving day I've ever had in my life) I could not control the M4 at all. The M4 is longer IMO but I'm just so much more consistent and confident with 917D2.

M3 3 wood w/ AD-DI is perfect and could finally be my grail 3 wood.

718 AP2 and raw SM7's still holding down their spots.

Putter has been running hot cold. In rotation has been Tour Rat Newport, Spider Tour Black and some O Works flavors...#1 and #1W. I think #1W will be in bag for now. All over the place lol.

Have a Fourteen Type 7 4 iron build in the works. Custom Toulon Long Island flow neck on order.

• 2 months later...

Some updates as the season is winding down here. Easier for me to update at the end rather than updating my my thread or signature every week. Just listing this out in case anyone wants any comparison feedback or anything. I am really liking the Ping stuff right now and am very happy with the bag.

Current setup:

G400 LST w/ AD-IZ 6S

G400 3 wood w/ AD-DI 7S

G25 20* hybrid w/ stock TFC S

i210 w/ LZ 6.0

SM7 Raw 50/54 w/ TI S400

Hi Toe 60 w/ TI S400

Drivers bagged this year not in current setup:

917D3 w/ AD-IZ

917D2 w/ AD-IZ

M4 w/ AD-IZ, Even Flow Blue 6.0

G400 Max w/ AD-IZ

Fairways this year not in current setup:

917 F2 w/ AD-DI

M3 w/ AD-DI, Even Flow Blue 6.0

Hybrids this year not in current setup:

816 H1 w/ HZRDUS Black 6.0

M4 w/ HZRDUS Black 6.0

Utility irons this year not in current setup:

Fourteen Type 7 w/ Atmos Blue 85S

P790 w/ LZ 6.0

Irons this year not in current setup:

718 AP2 w/ PX LZ 6.0

PXG 0311T w/ PX LZ 6.0

P750 Tour Proto w/ PX LZ 6.0

Wedges this year not in current setup:

Different SM7's

TM Milled Grind Antique Bronze

Putters this year not in current setup:

O Works 7 Red

Tour Rat

Spider Tour

Spider Mini

OTR SC Newport

Will edit and update this as other things come to mind...

Very nice setup, I sold my current set of irons today and am going to test some new ones on Friday. I have it narrowed down between the 919 Forged and the i210, both with the LZ 6.0. Did you compare it to the standard 6.0?

Thanks. Looking forward to your testing! I was a long time standard PX 6.0 user and once I was fitted into LZ 6.0 for my PXG's I haven't really strayed in subsequent sets. I'd say in comparison to the regular flavor, the LZ feels a lot better/smoother and I feel like I hit the ball a little higher without sacrificing any distance. Dispersion is fine...I don't know if it's any better or worse in comparison...no complaints here. Let me know if you have any more questions...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Judge, I am very interested in the i210 + LZ combo. Currently switch between some MP 18 SC S300, and Ping iE with PX 5.5. The i210s are in your bag at the moment, what set them apart from the other irons you have tried?

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

Hi Judge, I am very interested in the i210 + LZ combo. Currently switch between some MP 18 SC S300, and Ping iE with PX 5.5. The i210s are in your bag at the moment, what set them apart from the other irons you have tried?

So I was testing them out initially to see if I could gain anything with them from a forgiveness factor coming from AP2/0311T...help with mishits and off days. Looking down at the 210's...they look great at setup. In the bag they look OK I would say...which is fine...if they help me out then who cares.

I would say that they do offer slightly more assistance vs my other sets. They are a pleasure to hit and feel great when middle'd. But, I feel like I may be losing out when I do middle it from a control perspective. I don't know if it's just me having to get used to them (very well could be) or they aren't as workable but my depth and dispersion are slightly off even when my swing is on.

So the jury is still out on the i210's for me. I may look at 919T or 718CB going back towards the other end of the spectrum.