2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Putter Dilemma - Slightly more forgiving Wilson 8802?

bodhi555

I think this is my first topic started on WRX, so be gentle :) But basically I have a dilemma with my current putter.

I am gaming a Yonex Super A.D.X Tour Forged (Wilson 8802 copy) and love it, however given how tough it would be to replace if it was lost/stolen, and the want of slightly more forgiveness if I don't quite get the centre of the putter, I have been looking around for another option. I bought an Odyssey Versa Works #9 earlier in the year, and whilst the head shape works for me, I cannot get on with the insert at all - I just don't feel I'm getting a consistent contact from it - sometimes it clicks, other times it just feels dead.

I have quite an arc'ed stroke and tend to set up off my left foot, and have always had the best results with large amounts of toe hang (8802, #9) - I also have a Cameron Oil Can Newport, which I struggle to close the face on the way through with, usually missing left. I normally use 35" putters (but am open to experiment), with either left hand low or the Claw depending on the length of the putt, and normally average 1.7 putts per hole.

I tried 2 Cameron Del Mars on Monday, both the 2013 California models. Both 34", one had the standard Scotty grip on it, the other with a huge Winn grip on it that seemed to add another inch to the length of the putter. With the standard Scotty grip I couldn't miss, every putt was tracking true into the cup, but with the Winn grip, it was the complete opposite (there's an old British phrase involving cow's bottoms and banjos that would sum it up perfectly. I thought about things in the afternoon at work, went back after, and the standard grip model had been sold, leaving only the Winn grip model. So my questions are:

1) Is there a reason why my putting would be so bad with the same putter but a different grip? I didn't get the model fitted, but a) it was huge, and b) it caused me to miss everything right.

2) Del Mars seem quite difficult to get hold of in the UK - is there anything else I should be looking at? Max budget around £150.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Putters are so specific to the person. I realized there's a science to fitting a putter to a person, but there's also a lot of touchy/feely things that play into it too. Basically, it's all voodoo. Grips will take a LOT of experimenting. When you find the right grip and putter, keep it and never look back.

I too love the same styles of putters. I have a Cameron California Del Mar and love it. Give the new Wilson Milled 8802 a roll if you can. Killer flat stick for weirdos like us.

The Wilson 8802 Milled is a very good suggestion - only the lack of aiming line puts me off. If I could find one to try to see if it's a problem I would be all over it, but as you say, having a freaky taste in putters means there is less opportunity to roll them before buying.

I have read that thread with interest, and am noticing a theme - the Scotty Del Mar :) I'm also seeing a lot of mentions of the GoLo 3, which I can get from Golfbidder for just above budget - how do they compare to the Del Mar? Is the insert an issue?

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

I would (if I were you) search for the Del Mar.- the GoLo 3 may be an issue with the insert. If you can test the GoLo 3in person,then I would to see what you think, but you've already seen your results with the Del Mar.Just my 2 cents.

910 D2 9.5*/910 FD 15*/915 18*
712 4I
MP 57 5I-6I
MP 59 7I-8I
MP 15 9I
Vokey 46F/52F/56M/60M
AOP NP 2 (BOS 2x oil can)
Chrome soft

I would (if I were you) search for the Del Mar.- the GoLo 3 may be an issue with the insert. If you can test the GoLo 3in person,then I would to see what you think, but you've already seen your results with the Del Mar.Just my 2 cents.

I think this is going to be the way forwards. It's very rare that I try a putter that performs anywhere near my old Yonex (for me) - for instance when I was trying out the Versa #9, I was actually holing more putts with the Yonex. And yet I still bought it, so keen not to make that mistake again. I'm actually looking for something pretty much identical in feel to my Yonex, without the polished chrome effect, and the Del Mar I've tried is the closest I've found in 20 years...

Take a look at Ping Sigma Shea H and Tess. A lot cheaper vs. SCs. ;)

Very interesting, as I've always preferred Ansers to SC's as a rule. Going to have to find a Shea to have a roll - price seems identical to a 2nd hand Del Mar, not sure on the insert on the Ping however/ Definitely one to try.

why not buy the winn grip one and have it regripped?

This did cross my mind, but it was already up for £35 more than the normal grip version, and a new grip like a Tour SNSR would push it up over £200, a bit more than I'd like to spend on a backup/alternative.

Think I'm going to keep an eye out for another California Del Mar (there is one on eBay UK but the pictures aren't especially clear) as it had a fantastic balance and feel - very similar to my Yonex. Will also keep an eye out for the Ping to try - always keen to see more options :)

And of course, since I started this topic, I went out for 9 last night and holed pretty much everything. I swear my clubs read this forum to see when they're about to get replaced....

Have you tried a Zing2?

Lots of toe hang and no insert and inexpensive and easy to get.

An original copper Zing was one of the many putters that has tried to kick the Yonex out :) Put it in the bag and won the final of our Junior Knockout tournament in my first game with it, completely unable to miss. A month later it was back in the garage.

Definitely worth revisiting however, it has been added to the list :)

Ping Redwood Zing is awesome feeling and in your price range. Or go old school with a Ping Kushin (not the sigma). It's got a sound slot, tri sole and top site line (as opposed to in the flange) and can be picked up for < $50.

Ping G400 @ 10.5° (Ping Tour 65S)

Ping G400 5 wood @ 16.5° (Ping Alta CB 65S)

Ping G410 7 wood @ 20° (Ping Tour 75X)

Titleist 818H2 @ 22° (PX 6.0)

Ping i210 PowerSpec 5-U (DG S300)

Titleist SM7 54° F / 60° K (DG S200)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

The Wilson 8802 Milled is a very good suggestion - only the lack of aiming line puts me off. If I could find one to try to see if it's a problem I would be all over it, but as you say, having a freaky taste in putters means there is less opportunity to roll them before buying.

As an 8802 style lover (and collector) I implore you to stick with the 8802 style :)

If you are after a sight line (I prefer none myself) then I believe the 8813 type usually has a sight line. Not sure you can get a Ping Sigma Tess with a line, but that'd be worth a try. They are gorgeous and I want one myself.

And agree with some posters above, if you are after same/similar shape but more forgiveness maybe try one of the newer boutique putters. Lajosi LP808, or a TP Mills, and I hear good things about the Flanigan "designed by".

I think this is my first topic started on WRX, so be gentle :) But basically I have a dilemma with my current putter.

I am gaming a Yonex Super A.D.X Tour Forged (Wilson 8802 copy) and love it, however given how tough it would be to replace if it was lost/stolen, and the want of slightly more forgiveness if I don't quite get the centre of the putter, I have been looking around for another option. I bought an Odyssey Versa Works #9 earlier in the year, and whilst the head shape works for me, I cannot get on with the insert at all - I just don't feel I'm getting a consistent contact from it - sometimes it clicks, other times it just feels dead.

I have quite an arc'ed stroke and tend to set up off my left foot, and have always had the best results with large amounts of toe hang (8802, #9) - I also have a Cameron Oil Can Newport, which I struggle to close the face on the way through with, usually missing left. I normally use 35" putters (but am open to experiment), with either left hand low or the Claw depending on the length of the putt, and normally average 1.7 putts per hole.

I tried 2 Cameron Del Mars on Monday, both the 2013 California models. Both 34", one had the standard Scotty grip on it, the other with a huge Winn grip on it that seemed to add another inch to the length of the putter. With the standard Scotty grip I couldn't miss, every putt was tracking true into the cup, but with the Winn grip, it was the complete opposite (there's an old British phrase involving cow's bottoms and banjos that would sum it up perfectly. I thought about things in the afternoon at work, went back after, and the standard grip model had been sold, leaving only the Winn grip model. So my questions are:

1) Is there a reason why my putting would be so bad with the same putter but a different grip? I didn't get the model fitted, but a) it was huge, and b) it caused me to miss everything right.

2) Del Mars seem quite difficult to get hold of in the UK - is there anything else I should be looking at? Max budget around £150.

Your Yonex putter is on the light side and so less forgiving of mis-hits then even the usual 8802 style putter. The new Wilson 8802 is heavier and might be just what you're looking for. Try to demo one if you can.

Scotty Del Mar? I take it you're lefty? Push is left? Grip size can change alignment of your shoulders and the big grip is designed to take your hands and wrist out of it. You may putt better with a little pop.

I'm right handed, and with my arc seem to have issues closing the face on the way through, without some serious toe hang to help me along. It's a very old-skool stroke I will admit, and I doubt anyone would teach it these days, but it works - 90% of the time anyway :)

As an 8802 style lover (and collector) I implore you to stick with the 8802 style :) If you are after a sight line (I prefer none myself) then I believe the 8813 type usually has a sight line. Not sure you can get a Ping Sigma Tess with a line, but that'd be worth a try. They are gorgeous and I want one myself. And agree with some posters above, if you are after same/similar shape but more forgiveness maybe try one of the newer boutique putters. Lajosi LP808, or a TP Mills, and I hear good things about the Flanigan "designed by".

Must admit I am leaning more towards another 8802 style putter, as I've just been into the garage and found a Hogan Radial from the mid-80's (a P51 apparently). It's pretty beat up, most of the gold finish has tarnished and the grip has cracked, but I've just rolled it on the carpet and I'm very tempted to put it in the bag! Trying 3 balls up and down the hallway, every "leg" has resulted in all 3 balls finishing inches from each other. So this will solve the short term tinkering need. I'm now going to look for and try:

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar (I also had a look at Napas - how much????)

Wilson 8802

Ping Sigma Tess

Biggest challenge is going to be finding one of each to try, as all the store I've been into recently have been too busy trying to sell me a Spider or some other brick on a shaft - lots of #9's available though! Shame they all have inserts....

Thanks for all the suggestions though folks, I will update when I've bought a Wilson 8802......sorry I mean made a considered decision :)

Must admit I am leaning more towards another 8802 style putter, as I've just been into the garage and found a Hogan Radial from the mid-80's (a P51 apparently). It's pretty beat up, most of the gold finish has tarnished and the grip has cracked, but I've just rolled it on the carpet and I'm very tempted to put it in the bag! Trying 3 balls up and down the hallway, every "leg" has resulted in all 3 balls finishing inches from each other. So this will solve the short term tinkering need. I'm now going to look for and try:

Wilson 8802

Ping Sigma Tess

Biggest challenge is going to be finding one of each to try, as all the store I've been into recently have been too busy trying to sell me a Spider or some other brick on a shaft - lots of #9's available though! Shame they all have inserts....

Thanks for all the suggestions though folks, I will update when I've bought a Wilson 8802......sorry I mean made a considered decision :)

May want to check that Hogan again. The Hogan Radial 8802 style was a PS1. Made from brass. A coke soak will remove the tarnish, the patina will reacquire in time. The period of manufacture (assuming the same as the Radial irons) would be '83 - '88. Have one in inventory. Pretty nice putter all things considered. Install a fresh grip and give it a trial. The only time I've spent with the PS1 is on the basement carpeted practice green.

Putt for shizzle with a 8802 style. FWIW, on those occasions when I'm feeling it, use a Cleveland "Designed by".

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Wilson 8802

Ping Sigma Tess

May want to check that Hogan again. The Hogan Radial 8802 style was a PS1. Made from brass. A coke soak will remove the tarnish, the patina will reacquire in time. The period of manufacture (assuming the same as the Radial irons) would be '83 - '88. Have one in inventory. Pretty nice putter all things considered. Install a fresh grip and give it a trial. The only time I've spent with the PS1 is on the basement carpeted practice green.

Putt for shizzle with a 8802 style. FWIW, on those occasions when I'm feeling it, use a Cleveland "Designed by".

You are quite correct, it is a PS1. The more I roll it the more I like it, and if I didn't have a league match it would be in the bag tomorrow for an experiment. I even quite like the worn finish - the best golfer in our club uses a John Letters Golden Goose, always good for disarming the opposition - "What is that? He's not going to hole anything with that thing - Oh." I'm thinking this Hogan might have the same effect.

Good man. There's a few to pick from. Here's 75% of my stash. Including a Yonex like your current gamer in the middle there :)

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

Wow, that is seriously impressive - consider my hat doffed to you sir. It's inspiring me to go down the 8802 route - quick question. I can only find them in 34" length, and normally use 35", if I get it are they easy enough to extend if needs be?

Putters are easy to extend. Might not be able to save the grip though.

I like 8802 style flat sticks but don't use one. If I were in the market I'd 100% look at a Flanigan Bilt - great deal, customizable sight aids, choose your paint fill, and most importantly heavy at 335 grams in a heel weighted design.

Good luck!

Putters are easy to extend. Might not be able to save the grip though.

I like 8802 style flat sticks but don't use one. If I were in the market I'd 100% look at a Flanigan Bilt - great deal, customizable sight aids, choose your paint fill, and most importantly heavy at 335 grams in a heel weighted design.

Good luck!

Sadly they are US based and I'm across the pond. I do like the idea of a custom putter, have always wanted to pay Golf Alchemy just outside Birmingham (UK) a visit - this could be just the opportunity, as some of the below look fantastic.

http://www.golfalchemy.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=76&products_id=2592&osCsid=237a9e5940d11efb5c5ca64f0ad6194d

Those look sweet Bodhi.

Don't discount having a Flanigan shipped. I'd probably call and ask them if they could ship just the head. With the exchange that could be a better value.

BTW, cheap experiment is to get a scale, weigh the total weight of your 8802 and add lead tape to the sole in 10 or 15 gram increments. Head weight is a big component of speed control for me.

If you can find one the 8882 putter from Wilson is a slightly bigger more forgiving putter.

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

Wow, that is seriously impressive - consider my hat doffed to you sir. It's inspiring me to go down the 8802 route - quick question. I can only find them in 34" length, and normally use 35", if I get it are they easy enough to extend if needs be?

Most of mine are around 35". Few of them are 34" and 1 is 33". Got a few more variously between 33 - 36".

Not sure if any of these have been shortened or lengthened previously. I've never done it myself. Think it's quite easy but the swing weight changes if that's an issue.

IMG_1391.jpg

Just thought I'd update after a weekend putter hunting - went into a couple of local stores and didn't find too much, lots of #9s but nothing any simpler. Had a roll of the O Works #9 and it rolled well, but felt horrible - proper marshmallow. The staff seemed more interested in selling something like an Anser, so I left promptly.

So this morning I decided to put the Hogan in the bag - wow. Started off draining a 20 footer for birdie. Great for lag putting, and has a lovely old school pop off the face. Think I'm going to keep it in the bag, then order an 8802 Milled at some point.

Well, turns out the original California Del Mar I tried hadn't been sold, and was just out on test when I went back in - as I popped in earlier in the week to get a new glove and it was sitting there on the shelf, tempting me. As I have no self control (whatsoever) I promptly bought it and put it straight in the bag - took it out for 9 holes yesterday and I am seriously impressed. Took a while to get used to the feel on longer putts (it is much softer than the Yonex) and was struggling to get it up to the hole - a quick change back to a more conventional grip (from left hand low) on the longer putts soon fixed that issue. Ended up with 14 putts in 9 holes, which I am more than happy with. I think, after a 20 year search, I've finally found a Scotty that suits my stroke!

Not that the putter search is over however - I still have my eye on an 8802 Milled, and the custom models from Flanigan and Golf Alchemy. It's just over for this month :)