How was GOLFWRX Created? (Answer on bottom of pg 1)

scratchswinger

• 1 month later...

I'll have to say the people here are much more respectful of each other, and all opinions are respectfully addressed with other opinions.

There is no single golf agenda associated, and the mantra seems to be inclusive of many different ideas without bully tactics employed by at least one other site.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to say the people here are much more respectful of each other, and all opinions are respectfully addressed with other opinions.

There is no single golf agenda associated, and the mantra seems to be inclusive of many different ideas without bully tactics employed by at least one other site.

I'd have to agree

• 4 months later...

Not going to read 14 pages of posts, but I did read post #30. I guess I have not been in General Talk for so long I did not realize this thread was pinned.

But here is a timely story only in the sense that I was playing some golf today with an old friend and the topic of BSG came up. It was good for some laughs, but no laugh bigger than a story probably none of you know.

There was a time when the "holy grail" of tour issue drivers were being sold at escalating prices each generation. There was the $1,000 driver, then $1,500, then $2,000 probably about the time the TM R9s were yet to hit the market. This was the height of BSG when BH was selling the so called ultra rare drivers. The early listings with the special lime green Oziks were listed for $2,000. But BH made a big mistake. He freely allowed BST listings to favored members and a certain member we shall call DM destroyed his market in a day. When BH listed one driver at a time at $2K, out of nowhere DM posts a BST listing and sells the same driver for $1200 completely undercutting BH. The ad would go up at $1200 for one driver, a few minutes would go by, then a post saying it is sold, the next day DM lists two drivers at $1200 and immediately posts as sold. And then as the death blow, three more drivers listed at $900 and immediately sold. It all happened so fast, BH could not stop it. Two days, six drivers, and the market price established under $1,000. DM knew this was below BH's cost and wanted to hit him where it hurt. Mission accomplished.

But where did DM get those tour issue drivers that were so rare? How did he get six so fast and ahead of BH when the connections to get them were very narrow? BH did everything he could to be first. Well...to hear DM tell it, he never had the drivers, and the sales were not real. But his rep was established enough in tour issue kit that everyone believed the BST listing and sale. BH believed it and of course banned him, but it was too late. It was not long after GolfWRX got its momentum and the mass exodus put the last nail in the coffin.

Richard and Ryan have done very well by golf. It's not much of a stretch to say they belong in the Golf Hall of Fame as Internet pioneers for golfers. They can have Langer's spot....haha!

• 2 months later...

The other site still exists, but now a semi-personal place for old timers, vintage club lists, news from friends, and club buying from the current owner HossOnMoss.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ohh... these old stories are great. we are here and will be here for years to come. Continually trying to change with the times. Throwing good money after bad to change as we see the digital space change faster tomorrow than it is today.

Golf will be here long after we are all gone but WRX will be here for all of us while we are here to enjoy. A place where the most passionate can come and extend the light of day allowing us to be close to the game we love long after the course is closed.

• Like 1

My apologies, as I've not read through pages 2-13 so if this question has been answered, I'm sorry.

What exactly is 'WRX'? Linked to Subaru at all? How do you pronounce it? Is it an ancronym? Fancy way of spelling "works"? What's behind the name?

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeded TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

I’ve been onboard since 2007. I love the place!!!

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

• 4 weeks later...

My apologies, as I've not read through pages 2-13 so if this question has been answered, I'm sorry.

What exactly is 'WRX'? Linked to Subaru at all? How do you pronounce it? Is it an ancronym? Fancy way of spelling "works"? What's behind the name?

Bump

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeded TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

• 2 weeks later...

I have always been interested into hearing the back story of how GolfWRX was created? I am sure the desire to share information, discuss equipment. courses and share experiences was the reason why it was created. With Easyyy and GXGolfer as the founders. How did this all start? What was this place like when there were only a few members?

I don't know if anyone else would be interested in hearing some details about this success story. But I think it would be cool if some of the oldest members or founders could share a few details.

Here is the REPLY from ownership on the bottom of this page (post 30)... http://www.golfwrx.c...1/#entry6132687

Thanks for sharing...interesting read!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

> @easyyy said:

> Ohh... these old stories are great. we are here and will be here for years to come. Continually trying to change with the times. Throwing good money after bad to change as we see the digital space change faster tomorrow than it is today.

>

>

>

> Golf will be here long after we are all gone but WRX will be here for all of us while we are here to enjoy. A place where the most passionate can come and extend the light of day allowing us to be close to the game we love long after the course is closed.

True that @easyyy. I was there back in 2005 (July 2005 to be exact). Spent years way from the game but now I'm back and hoping to enjoy the current state of GolfWRX as much as I did back in the early years.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

> @2bGood said:

> Hopefully we don't need the follow-up story - how did golfwrx die? right now it is looking kind of shaky.

>

>

>

I'm not sure I'd classify GolfWRX current state being shaky. Sure, the change of forum format has created an unrest by some. While I prefer the old look, I found how to navigate with the new look. Some things from the old format I do miss. For most of the board, how can a member honestly complain when this Internet forum is offered for free? What financial contributions are many making? I pay for the annual members fee as a very small way to give back to a forum that gives all of us quite a lot.

If the site is shaky then we have to only look at ourselves. I've noticed an increase in membership that are becoming disrespectful to their fellow members and are quick to snipe at another opinion that they don't agree with. I believe this has more to do with the current state of social media and our society. I try to treat people as I like to be treated and aim to post in that manner. If I become curt or sharp "tongued" then I have lost sight of my premise of the golden rule.

I appreciate easyyy and all the administrators and moderators that make this site possible. Thank you!!!

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

> @RobotDoctor said:

> > @2bGood said:

> > Hopefully we don't need the follow-up story - how did golfwrx die? right now it is looking kind of shaky.

> >

> >

> >

>

> I'm not sure I'd classify GolfWRX current state being shaky. Sure, the change of forum format has created an unrest by some. While I prefer the old look, I found how to navigate with the new look. Some things from the old format I do miss. For most of the board, how can a member honestly complain when this Internet forum is offered for free? What financial contributions are many making? I pay for the annual members fee as a very small way to give back to a forum that gives all of us quite a lot.

>

> If the site is shaky then we have to only look at ourselves. I've noticed an increase in membership that are becoming disrespectful to their fellow members and are quick to snipe at another opinion that they don't agree with. I believe this has more to do with the current state of social media and our society. I try to treat people as I like to be treated and aim to post in that manner. If I become curt or sharp "tongued" then I have lost sight of my premise of the golden rule.

>

> I appreciate easyyy and all the administrators and moderators that make this site possible. Thank you!!!

Good points, and the site seemed to make it through the transition just fine now. I have seen other site not recover from being down and unusable for a period of time - but it looks like the shakiness is done.

However I do not the think the site is a "free" service and members are not making financial contributions.

The economy of the internet is people adding content and spending time on the site. Facebook, Google, Youtube, Twitter etc etc etc. - none are subscription based but all make money form our interaction with them - Golfwrx is the same. This is not a non-profit site, and it only survives and thrives thanks to the interaction of members.

More members, more activity, more ad sales, more sponsors, more money.

> @2bGood said:

> > @RobotDoctor said:

> > > @2bGood said:

> > > Hopefully we don't need the follow-up story - how did golfwrx die? right now it is looking kind of shaky.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I'm not sure I'd classify GolfWRX current state being shaky. Sure, the change of forum format has created an unrest by some. While I prefer the old look, I found how to navigate with the new look. Some things from the old format I do miss. For most of the board, how can a member honestly complain when this Internet forum is offered for free? What financial contributions are many making? I pay for the annual members fee as a very small way to give back to a forum that gives all of us quite a lot.

> >

> > If the site is shaky then we have to only look at ourselves. I've noticed an increase in membership that are becoming disrespectful to their fellow members and are quick to snipe at another opinion that they don't agree with. I believe this has more to do with the current state of social media and our society. I try to treat people as I like to be treated and aim to post in that manner. If I become curt or sharp "tongued" then I have lost sight of my premise of the golden rule.

> >

> > I appreciate easyyy and all the administrators and moderators that make this site possible. Thank you!!!

>

> Good points, and the site seemed to make it through the transition just fine now. I have seen other site not recover from being down and unusable for a period of time - but it looks like the shakiness is done.

>

> However I do not the think the site is a "free" service and members are not making financial contributions.

>

> The economy of the internet is people adding content and spending time on the site. Facebook, Google, Youtube, Twitter etc etc etc. - none are subscription based but all make money form our interaction with them - Golfwrx is the same. This is not a non-profit site, and it only survives and thrives thanks to the interaction of members.

>

> More members, more activity, more ad sales, more sponsors, more money.

>

>

>

>

>

>

Right. That's something to keep in mind. Welcome to the age of ads, sponsors and many means of generating revenue. That said, most people receive the privilege of participating without a direct financial contribution. Much credit goes to the founder of GolfWRX.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

> @RobotDoctor said:

> > @2bGood said:

> > > @RobotDoctor said:

> > > > @2bGood said:

> > > > Hopefully we don't need the follow-up story - how did golfwrx die? right now it is looking kind of shaky.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > I'm not sure I'd classify GolfWRX current state being shaky. Sure, the change of forum format has created an unrest by some. While I prefer the old look, I found how to navigate with the new look. Some things from the old format I do miss. For most of the board, how can a member honestly complain when this Internet forum is offered for free? What financial contributions are many making? I pay for the annual members fee as a very small way to give back to a forum that gives all of us quite a lot.

> > >

> > > If the site is shaky then we have to only look at ourselves. I've noticed an increase in membership that are becoming disrespectful to their fellow members and are quick to snipe at another opinion that they don't agree with. I believe this has more to do with the current state of social media and our society. I try to treat people as I like to be treated and aim to post in that manner. If I become curt or sharp "tongued" then I have lost sight of my premise of the golden rule.

> > >

> > > I appreciate easyyy and all the administrators and moderators that make this site possible. Thank you!!!

> >

> > Good points, and the site seemed to make it through the transition just fine now. I have seen other site not recover from being down and unusable for a period of time - but it looks like the shakiness is done.

> >

> > However I do not the think the site is a "free" service and members are not making financial contributions.

> >

> > The economy of the internet is people adding content and spending time on the site. Facebook, Google, Youtube, Twitter etc etc etc. - none are subscription based but all make money form our interaction with them - Golfwrx is the same. This is not a non-profit site, and it only survives and thrives thanks to the interaction of members.

> >

> > More members, more activity, more ad sales, more sponsors, more money.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> Right. That's something to keep in mind. Welcome to the age of ads, sponsors and many means of generating revenue. That said, most people receive the privilege of participating without a direct financial contribution. Much credit goes to the founder of GolfWRX.

I agree- the founders, owners and operators do a great a job running this site and I truly hope they make a great living doing it.

By the way the age of ads, sponsors and many ways of generating revenue is pretty darn old. I mean Radio operates the same way - we have been getting that 'free' for 100 years now.

> @2bGood said:

> > @RobotDoctor said:

> > > @2bGood said:

> > > > @RobotDoctor said:

> > > > > @2bGood said:

> > > > > Hopefully we don't need the follow-up story - how did golfwrx die? right now it is looking kind of shaky.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I'm not sure I'd classify GolfWRX current state being shaky. Sure, the change of forum format has created an unrest by some. While I prefer the old look, I found how to navigate with the new look. Some things from the old format I do miss. For most of the board, how can a member honestly complain when this Internet forum is offered for free? What financial contributions are many making? I pay for the annual members fee as a very small way to give back to a forum that gives all of us quite a lot.

> > > >

> > > > If the site is shaky then we have to only look at ourselves. I've noticed an increase in membership that are becoming disrespectful to their fellow members and are quick to snipe at another opinion that they don't agree with. I believe this has more to do with the current state of social media and our society. I try to treat people as I like to be treated and aim to post in that manner. If I become curt or sharp "tongued" then I have lost sight of my premise of the golden rule.

> > > >

> > > > I appreciate easyyy and all the administrators and moderators that make this site possible. Thank you!!!

> > >

> > > Good points, and the site seemed to make it through the transition just fine now. I have seen other site not recover from being down and unusable for a period of time - but it looks like the shakiness is done.

> > >

> > > However I do not the think the site is a "free" service and members are not making financial contributions.

> > >

> > > The economy of the internet is people adding content and spending time on the site. Facebook, Google, Youtube, Twitter etc etc etc. - none are subscription based but all make money form our interaction with them - Golfwrx is the same. This is not a non-profit site, and it only survives and thrives thanks to the interaction of members.

> > >

> > > More members, more activity, more ad sales, more sponsors, more money.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Right. That's something to keep in mind. Welcome to the age of ads, sponsors and many means of generating revenue. That said, most people receive the privilege of participating without a direct financial contribution. Much credit goes to the founder of GolfWRX.

>

> I agree- the founders, owners and operators do a great a job running this site and I truly hope they make a great living doing it.

>

> By the way the age of ads, sponsors and many ways of generating revenue is pretty darn old. I mean Radio operates the same way - we have been getting that 'free' for 100 years now. Smart Radio stations do everything they can to draw an audience - just like smart web sites do.

• 1 month later...

I have been on here so long, I was still building Dynacraft clubs and selling clubs on Golfclubauctions.com. Think I even did a thread on painting the 905R Black. Best Golf Site on the Internet hands down!

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist -ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow...what a read this thread has been. So many memories and familiar names posting, I had forgotten so much of what went on back there at BSG. Former BSG mod (what a mistake that turned out to be) and early-ish member (june 2005) of WRX. It's pretty incredible to see not only what WRX has become but how it's evolved and the staying power it has. I don't post much anymore but still enjoy reading the threads and scrolling the BST. Pretty cool community here and it's all thanks to a few fellas that made the leap and never looked back.

I've always heard of the origin stories for GOLFWRX, but can't recall reading the full account. I've been on since 2006 when I was at my ex-wife's parent's house for Christmas looking for something to help me pass the time. Since that time, I've learned quite a bit, bought and sold way too many golf clubs, won some cool stuff (driver, irons, trip to TM's The Kingdom), met some local golf buddies and given the invite to play at the Sand Hills by another GolfWRX member...all on this site. It's always funny to tell my wife (current...not the ex) I'm headed out to play golf with my "internet" friends or convince her that I'm traveling 5 hours to play a private club based on a random invite from someone online...she was thinking, "This is how people disappear".

Lots of great things have come from being part of this website...hard to believe it's been nearly 14 years.

• 3 weeks later...